Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Is there anyone releasing old Kung Fu movies? I would love to see a clean version of The Master of the Flying Guillotine and The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aren't HK flicks renowned for being kept in awful conditions to the point where even the classics are in a dreadful state? I'm gonna guess a lot of the Kung fu masters are probably not in a state worth mastering beyond whatever DVD release exist.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is there anyone releasing old Kung Fu movies? I would love to see a clean version of The Master of the Flying Guillotine and The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin bluray looks very good

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think Master Of The Flying Guillotine was broadcast in HD on El Rey Network.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Staub posted:

Yeah the DVD looked all right so that film's probably in good shape. Of course it's one of the most revered films in the genre so it may get better treatment.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Rusty Staub posted:

I haven't seen it myself, but I remember mucho sperging at AVS and blu-ray.com about its supposed poor quality...

edit: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-36th-Chamber-of-Shaolin-Blu-ray/8670/#Review

Yeah kinda looks like blurry processed poo poo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I haven't seen it myself, but I remember mucho sperging at AVS and blu-ray.com about its supposed poor quality...

edit: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-36th-Chamber-of-Shaolin-Blu-ray/8670/#Review

Yeah kinda looks like blurry processed poo poo.

It's 1080i? Why the gently caress would you even do that? I only ever saw one other bluray in 1080i and that was Time Bandits. It just flabbergasts me.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's 1080i? Why the gently caress would you even do that? I only ever saw one other bluray in 1080i and that was Time Bandits. It just flabbergasts me.

I mean, if that's the only master you have, then that's what you're stuck with. In theory, 1080i isn't excrement - In the UK, 1080i/50 is less of an oddball, and there are plenty of UK-based productions natively in that resolution that look just fine. Interlaced vs. progressive isn't enough to make things look like poo poo.

But, in the US at least, it is a sign that that master is probably old and created for TV broadcast and is not something that will look spectacular on Blu-ray. And I'm sure Vivendi or whoever put out that 36th Chamber BD didn't have access to the actual film to do a new master. God I wish someone would do a new 4K scan of that and other Asian classics, especially Hard Boiled and The Killer. Little chance of that ever happening though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

1080i basically means it's an old, cheap master unless it's a film at a non-standard speed like a silent film or TV show.

Some early Blu-Rays (and HD-DVDs) were 1080p encodes of 1080i masters with pretty bad aliasing like the first edition of Full Metal Jacket.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is only $3.25 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DYIJR77ELL3MRJ7

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: wrong thread

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
boo this format

quote:

After Blu-ray and HD DVD ushered in the age of HD and 1080p movies for the masses, discs were beaten to 4K by streaming services like Netflix, YouTube and Amazon. While the internet is still doing most of the heavy lifting for 4K, the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification is finally complete which means we should see movies and players arriving later this year. Besides being compatible with the 10,000~ Blu-ray discs already out, Ultra HD Blu-ray players will be ready for high-res 3,840 x 2,160 video, "next generation object-based sound formats" (think DTS: X and Dolby Atmos), more colors, high dynamic range (HDR) and even high frame rate video. That's a lot of buzzwords to say movies will have the capability to look and sound better at your home than they ever have before. The BDA also made vague reference to a "digital bridge" setup for extending your movie purchased on a disc to other devices like phones and tablets, but didn't say exactly how that will work, or if it's going to be any better than Ultraviolet.

The discs themselves are upgraded too, ready to hold 66GB or 100GB of data, up from the 25GB/50GB size of the current Blu-ray spec. According to the association licensing is expected to start this summer, and Samsung already announced it plans to release a player later this year. Hopefully, whatever it produces is better (and cheaper) than the slow, glitchy $1,000 BD-P1000 that kicked off the Blu-ray era years ago. Panasonic showed off a demo player at CES this year, and we're sure other manufacturers will follow suit.

For people looking to future proof their setup, the new crop of Ultra HD TVs hitting shelves this year have support for the high-res video, plus HDR color, but they may need to support a new HDMI 2.0a standard to get the most out of new discs. There's still a few more questions than answers about the rollout of 4K content, but as the picture clears up over the summer and into the holidays, we should have more information.

boooooooooooooooooo

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I also boo things before I eventually buy them, yes.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Another new format that will get outsold by DVDs!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How big would your TV have to be for you to actually see the benefits of 4K resolution?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

How big would your TV have to be for you to actually see the benefits of 4K resolution?

You'd need a projection system with a screen measured in feet, rather than inches. It also has a lot to do with the source. Your standard early 2000s 2K master from Universal is still going to look like poo poo at any resolution besides 480p. A lot of Blu-Rays are so well mastered and compressed, it's not going to be a gigantic difference except on large screens.

This will be a great opportunity for all the 4K remasters from Sony, Warner, and Fox, though.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

Your standard early 2000s 2K master from Universal is still going to look like poo poo

Now maybe this is overly optimistic, but I would sure hope that no one is going to release a 2K master on Ultra HD Blu-ray...

An old 2K master on Blu-ray, where 2K is roughly equivalent to 1080p, is one thing. Sure, everyone wishes the masters were better in a lot of cases but at least the resolution of the source is greater than or equal to the resolution of the format. Releasing a 2K master on a 4K format is equivalent to releasing an SD master on Blu-ray, something that was not done more than a handle of times and was resoundly booed whenever it did happen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Egbert Souse posted:

You'd need a projection system with a screen measured in feet, rather than inches. It also has a lot to do with the source. Your standard early 2000s 2K master from Universal is still going to look like poo poo at any resolution besides 480p. A lot of Blu-Rays are so well mastered and compressed, it's not going to be a gigantic difference except on large screens.

This will be a great opportunity for all the 4K remasters from Sony, Warner, and Fox, though.
I feel like my 47" is almost too big as-is; I just can't see practicality of such a new format (for myself at least) when I won't actually get to see the benefits unless I do some room remodeling to make the space for the television itself. I might not entirely have a choice though if they start to replace Blu-rays, though I suppose any given player down the line will be able to downscale to 1080p just fine so I could just hold on to my BD collection as long as I want.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's just so little reason for people to upgrade now, and I'm sure they'll completely stuff up the marketing anyway.

In the UK they were quite smart about DVD at least - when the format launched you could buy the movie on DVD at the same time the VHS would go out to rent (followed by VHS sales a few months later). It encouraged people to jump on the new format. The jump to Blu just seemed messier, and you'd think competition from HDDVD would've helped them pull out the big guns, but meh. If it wasn't for the PS3 would it have ever reached mainstream acceptability in the slightest? It's a great format, and if you have a good setup it beats the living hell out of streaming services, but I can't see them convincing many people with 4K.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Kind of related.

Does any streaming services offer lossless audio? Or just anything above 384 kbps AC-3?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For me blu ray completely sold itself the first time I popped the first one in the player and saw the difference. Until I get another jump in quality like that I see no reason to upgrade, and it sounds like this isn't going to be a big enough difference to be worth it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nobody is broadcasting in this format, right?

Like, HDTV caught on because channels increasingly converted their programming to it. Even with people "cutting the cord" and the slow death of network TV, I can't imagine 4k will catch on without a steady stream of actual 4k content.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn't blu ray getting badly outsold by dvd in this, the time of the death of physical media? Isn't that the reason I can't get anything on blu that's not a recent release?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Isn't blu ray getting badly outsold by dvd in this, the time of the death of physical media? Isn't that the reason I can't get anything on blu that's not a recent release?

I feel like in the past year or two years there has finally been a bunch of older stuff released on blu ray. It kinda feels like the tide has turned and I can for the most part find anything I want on blu ray now. Shout Factory for instance has been putting out a whole lot of relatively obscure older stuff for the past few years, and Criterion has released the majority of its best stuff on blu ray too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For movies it seems OK, but television series outside of really high profile ones it's going to be harder and harder to get BD versions with streaming as an alternative. I'm still miffed they discontinued Always Sunny on Blu-ray.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's just so little reason for people to upgrade now, and I'm sure they'll completely stuff up the marketing anyway.

It sounds like they're specifically not trying to replicate a "dump all your players and upgrade now" scenario.

Rather, they'll just have any new players be this new technology and x months later launch all the movies in that format.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

It sounds like they're specifically not trying to replicate a "dump all your players and upgrade now" scenario.

Rather, they'll just have any new players be this new technology and x months later launch all the movies in that format.

Yea this seems like the way its going to go and I'm fine with that. I don't really care about having to buy a new player, I just don't want to have to hook up two different players because half my collection won't play on the new one.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Jack Gladney posted:

Um, what? Maybe in brick and mortar, but there is sooo much catalog Blu-ray coming out every month. It's just coming from Olive and Shout Factory and Criterion and Twilight Time and so on.

And I don't think 4K is meant to replace BD the way they hoped BD would replace DVD. It's more of an upper tier. Like, you might upgrade from your old BD to a new 4K-mastered-but-then-downscaled BD, and now you have an even more elite option - an actual 4K disc.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
This reminds me of DVHS and other similar formats. The average home doesn't have the capability for Dolby Atmos. I honestly think this will do best in commercial markets, like a new way to distribute films theatrically.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of places just project 4K anyway, right? I can see a mailed (superduper)bluray being way easier than taking ages to download a JPEG2000 or whatever the gently caress

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cemetry Gator posted:

This reminds me of DVHS and other similar formats. The average home doesn't have the capability for Dolby Atmos. I honestly think this will do best in commercial markets, like a new way to distribute films theatrically.

Yeah I spit-balled what I would need for a Dolby Atmos setup and it's something like 6k+ for installation, speakers, and new receiver. I'm a A/V maniac and there's no way I'm paying that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
People are already dragging their feet real hard on blu-ray so I don't think this new format will really take off especially since the vast majority of people don't have the kind of equipment necessary to see the full potential of the discs. This is basically a thing for people with movie screens in their house.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

People are already dragging their feet real hard on blu-ray so I don't think this new format will really take off especially since the vast majority of people don't have the kind of equipment necessary to see the full potential of the discs. This is basically a thing for people with movie screens in their house.

And when you're dealing with people with that kind of money, they're likely to have, or have the ability to obtain, a fast internet connection. Just make 4K an online service, but ensure the picture quality isn't compromised and supply it like that. It's a shame that iTunes compromised on 1080p (it's generally of lower quality than 720p) or there would already be a reliable service in place for that kind of service.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disney is releasing a short films collection on August 18th. It will have most of the 2000-2015 shorts that preceded features:
-John Henry
-Lorenzo
-The Little Matchgirl
-How To Hookup Your Home Theater
-Tick Tock Tale
-Prep and Landing: Operation Santa
-The Ballad of Nessie
-Tangled Ever After
-Paperman
-Get A Horse
-Feast
-Frozen Fever

Most of these are already extras on various releases.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Yea this seems like the way its going to go and I'm fine with that. I don't really care about having to buy a new player, I just don't want to have to hook up two different players because half my collection won't play on the new one.

You're not sending all content through an AV receiver?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Another area you look at too is retail. Are stores going to stock this and support it? You're Best Buy. You have limited space for DVDs and Blurays. Are you going to bring in a third format, one that's going to be really niche, and support it? Maybe you have the player and a few discs in your home theater section. There's a lot of angles where this can run into trouble. Especially too since a lot of the stuff they talk about means nothing to the average person. High Frame Rate hasn't really taken off yet, since aside from the Hobbit, I can't think of any films that haven't been shot at 24 frames per second. As for sound formats, plenty of people are still using stereo sound from their television. And 4k is nice if you have a really big TV screen, but most people just don't have that.

If I'm running a store, I might stock some players and stuff to have it in case people want it, but I'm not going to push it hard.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also best buy seems to be getting out of physical media entirely. The movie section shrinks between every visit I make, not that I make many.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Two new releases from Warner Archive.

quote:

42ND STREET (1933) This indisputable cinema classic went out like a youngster and came back a star, blazing so bright it reignited movie musicals for decades to come and is now a hit all over again thanks to a bedazzling restoration. A Broadway impresario (Warner Baxter) facing his failing health, stakes everything on one last big show unaware that an ingénue (Ruby Keeler) may just derail it all, unless she comes back a star. Also features Ginger Rogers, Bebe Daniels, Dick Powell, George Brent, Allen Jenkins, Guy Kibbee and Una Merkel. Directed by Lloyd Bacon with choreography by Busby Berkeley. Fresh from its premiere at this year's TCM Film Fest,42nd Street comes soaring onto Blu-ray accompanied by a chorus of extra features (Standard Definition except where noted): a retrospective documentary "FROM BOOK TO SCREEN TO STAGE" (2006); vintage Warner Bros. short subjects "HOLLYWOOD NEWSREEL", "A TRIP THRU A HOLLYWOOD STUDIO", "HARRY WARREN- AMERICA'S FOREMOST COMPOSER"; vintage Warner Bros. promotional newsreel "THE 42ND STREET SPECIAL"; vintage Warner Bros. cartoons "YOUNG AND HEALTHY" & "SHUFFLE OFF TO BUFFALO" (Shuffle Off to Buffalo in 1080p HD); original theatrical trailer.

LADYHAWKE (1985) Richard Donner's ahead-of-its-time fantasy favorite emerges transformed on Blu- ray Disc thanks to this brand new 1080p HD presentation. Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer star as a knight and his lady, ensorcelled and star-crossed thanks to the curse of an evil bishop (John Wood). Now he is a wolf by night, and she a hawk by day, and their only hope lies in the fast hands of a young pickpocket, aptly named "Mouse" (Matthew Broderick). Luminously shot by the great Vittorio Storaro. 16x9 Widescreen

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Jack Gladney posted:

Also best buy seems to be getting out of physical media entirely. The movie section shrinks between every visit I make, not that I make many.

Yeah, the horror section used to be an aisle and a half at mine. Now it's down to like 5 feet.

Which strikes me as odd since horror idiots (like me) love buying poo poo they don't need. I just keep buying Evil Dead, please someone help me, please God.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Another area you look at too is retail. Are stores going to stock this and support it? You're Best Buy. You have limited space for DVDs and Blurays. Are you going to bring in a third format, one that's going to be really niche, and support it? Maybe you have the player and a few discs in your home theater section. There's a lot of angles where this can run into trouble. Especially too since a lot of the stuff they talk about means nothing to the average person. High Frame Rate hasn't really taken off yet, since aside from the Hobbit, I can't think of any films that haven't been shot at 24 frames per second. As for sound formats, plenty of people are still using stereo sound from their television. And 4k is nice if you have a really big TV screen, but most people just don't have that.

If I'm running a store, I might stock some players and stuff to have it in case people want it, but I'm not going to push it hard.

I don't think any of the theaters in my area even got the high frame rate versions of Hobbit 2 and 3. If they did they were in a much smaller number of theaters than the first one's HFR versions were.

• Locked thread