Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My pet peeve, speaking of downtown Toronto, is that it's rare to see the CN Tower drawn correctly. It's like artists are asked to draw the Space Needle. From memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
If you think comics artists are bad with North American geography, they're even worse about other countries. Most of the time, I don't blame them, it's not exactly an easy job.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If they drew a parking lot they will pretty much capture the look of Manitoba.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, it's not like there's tons of photos available at the click of a button.

I'm still amazed at the poo poo a lot of the older, classic pencilers pulled off given how hard it was to access reference material. All they had back then were magazines, newspapers and poo poo they culled from a library maybe. Even Xerox machines weren't readily accessible. Or cheap.

Probably one of the main reasons that almost all Marvel poo poo was set in NYC.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Detective Comics #12 (1938)
Pencils/Inks: Bill Ely

Lightning Comics #6 (1942)
Pencils/Inks/Colors: ?

Lightning Comics #6 (1942)
Pencils/Inks: Harry Anderson
Colors: ?

Metamorpho, The Element Man #5 (1966)
Pencils: Joe Orlando
Inks: Charles Paris

Dazzler #2 (1981)
Pencils: John Romita Jr.
Inks: Alfredo Alcala
Colors: Ken Klaczak

Radioactive Man #1 (1993)
Pencils: Steve Vance (layouts) and Bill Morrison (finished art)
Inks: Bill Morrison (finished art)
Colors: Cindy Vance

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Grendels Dad posted:

Sure, maybe while they are at it, they can learn how to draw German towns that don't consist of medieval roads and torch-lit half-timbered houses.

Sure, but it isn't much fun if the angry villagers have to extinguish their torches and be very careful with their pitchforks as they take excellent, timely, and convenient public transit to the stop nearest the mad scientist's castle.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Animal-Mother posted:

Sure, but it isn't much fun if the angry villagers have to extinguish their torches and be very careful with their pitchforks as they take excellent, timely, and convenient public transit to the stop nearest the mad scientist's castle.

You are living in the past, Animal-Mother. Germany has made a lot of progress, our public transport hasn't been timely or convenient in a long time.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, it's not like there's tons of photos available at the click of a button.

I'm still amazed at the poo poo a lot of the older, classic pencilers pulled off given how hard it was to access reference material. All they had back then were magazines, newspapers and poo poo they culled from a library maybe. Even Xerox machines weren't readily accessible. Or cheap.

Probably one of the main reasons that almost all Marvel poo poo was set in NYC.

A little bit later down the road, but I remember Marvel making a big deal about sending Chris Claremont, John Romita Jr, and Dan Green to Paris for Uncanny X-Men #200. It was all over the Bullpen Bulletins about how they wanted to not only do a promo tour, but to make sure they got all the details, architecture, and geography as accurate as possible. It was a cool touch to show they really wanted that issue to seem important enough to send the creative team overseas.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kevin Palpatine posted:

downtown Toronto:

To hear my wife talk about the time the plows covered her car on the DVP, this is accurate

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phy posted:

To hear my wife talk about the time the plows covered her car on the DVP, this is accurate

Was she... parked on it? I know we joke about DVP standing for Don Valley Parking lot but we don't mean it literally.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Car trouble of some kind, can't remember exactly what, but she was over on the shoulder when they came by.

E: also might have been the 401 instead of the DVP. It's been a while since she brought it up. I know for sure it wasn't the Gardiner since she didn't express fears of falling through the bridge deck/getting brained by spalled concrete

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 25, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Terry Moore posts a lot of these videos of pencil work with commentary over it, it's great stuff because he talks about technique and things like why he uses specific pencils and whatnot. It still seems pretty wild to me that he practically never lines out the skeleton at all, he just draws the outline and does a whole lot of erasing and re-drawing. Also that he never touches digital art tools at all, everything he does is very traditional pencil and paper -> ink.

https://twitter.com/TerryMooreArt/status/1707393526932103278

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Thanks for posting that. I love seeing the process of artists. It really helps me get better at drawing too

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Who wants to own the greatest comic cover of all time?

https://twitter.com/ctropes/status/1710516582240415969?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I thought that was for an ad, not a cover

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

I thought that was for an ad, not a cover

Nope, it was for Captain America #1 from the Heroes Reborn line. I still have the first four orfive isdues, the art is atrocious.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It belongs in a museum!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I have twitter embeds off so my first thought was legit "is someone selling the original The Transformers #5?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phy posted:

I have twitter embeds off so my first thought was legit "is someone selling the original The Transformers #5?"

Well, when it comes to big, protruding chests you were pretty close actually.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That's always in my mind as one of the coolest (if not THE coolest) comic covers I've ever seen, and I don't even like Transformers that much.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Well, when it comes to big, protruding chests you were pretty close actually.

Lol I didn't even think of that, good call

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
However, cap is the one with his head positioned like a digger's cockpit.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

A lovely map of Middle-earth, from the European Lord of the Rings comics by Luis Bermejo.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Journey into Mystery #70 (1961)
Pencils/Inks: Steve Ditko
Colors: Stan Goldberg

Journey into Mystery #71 (1961)

Journey into Mystery #72 (1961)

Journey into Mystery #75 (1961)

Journey into Mystery #76 (1962)

Journey into Mystery #77 (1962)
Pencils: Jack Kirby
Inks: Dick Ayers

Journey into Mystery #78 (1962)
Pencils/Inks: Joe Sinnott

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #48 (1974)
Pencils/Inks: Tom Sutton

Dazzler #3 (1981)
Pencils: Alan Kupperberg
Inks: Armando Gil
Colors: Bob Sharen

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Journey into Mystery #70 (1961)

Journey into Mystery #71 (1961)

Journey into Mystery #72 (1961)

Journey into Mystery #75 (1961)

Journey into Mystery #76 (1962)

Journey into Mystery #77 (1962)
Pencils: Jack Kirby
Inks: Dick Ayers

Journey into Mystery #78 (1962)
Pencils/Inks: Joe Sinnott

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #48 (1974)
Pencils/Inks: Tom Sutton

Dazzler #3 (1981)
Pencils: Alan Kupperberg
Inks: Armando Gil
Colors: Bob Sharen

These would all be sick oversized avs

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Back in the 90s Keith Giffen did some books with this really odd and unique art style. I dug it. This might not be the best example, but I didn't find too many on google images.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dig the style, but what a nightmare for the colorist.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Joe Fisto posted:

Back in the 90s Keith Giffen did some books with this really odd and unique art style. I dug it. This might not be the best example, but I didn't find too many on google images.

That cover art certainly takes a bit of work to unpack.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved that art but the computer lettering was an eyesore in that book. Wish Keith would’ve lettered it himself, and also do more books in that style. His Images Of Shadowhawk book was great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like I'm alone in never really digging Steve Ditko.

He has his moments here and there but I think my main issue with his stuff is that it's all drawn like a play. Ground level 90 degree angles, not much in the way of depth or visceral action and really kind of boring compositions. He doesn't crop or variate the size of his panels nor use dynamic perspective and everything looks like it takes place on a small stage. I don't think his line work, use of contrast, suggestion of motion/action or even his panel by panel storytelling are anything particularly compelling either.

I mean, he's fine in as much that I can read a page and know what's happening but there's nothing that really snaps and his...rhythm (?), I guess, is a bit dull, especially compared to his contemporaries like Jack Kirby or Steranko where the character's movement jumps off every page. Almost everything looks "flat" to me and he's not much on backgrounds either

I've tried with Ditko (and it took me a while to appreciate Kirby) but I think he's a little overrated.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I feel like I'm alone in never really digging Steve Ditko.

He has his moments here and there but I think my main issue with his stuff is that it's all drawn like a play. Ground level 90 degree angles, not much in the way of depth or visceral action and really kind of boring compositions. He doesn't crop or variate the size of his panels nor use dynamic perspective and everything looks like it takes place on a small stage. I don't think his line work, use of contrast, suggestion of motion/action or even his panel by panel storytelling are anything particularly compelling either.

I mean, he's fine in as much that I can read a page and know what's happening but there's nothing that really snaps and his...rhythm (?), I guess, is a bit dull, especially compared to his contemporaries like Jack Kirby or Steranko where the character's movement jumps off every page. Almost everything looks "flat" to me and he's not much on backgrounds either

I've tried with Ditko (and it took me a while to appreciate Kirby) but I think he's a little overrated.

Ditko was at his best when establishing the look for Doctor Strange comics, I think. I do agree that his other work isn't as interesting in comparison to Kirby and Steranko.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agreed completely on Ditko, but with the caveat that sometimes his simplicity is a nice contract to Kirby or Steranko who could struggle to find points of focus in their full-page/splash compositions as a necessary sacrifice to get that sense of motion.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The depiction of Ragnarok in Valhalla.

Valhalla #15 - The Vala's Visions (2009) (Unofficial translation)
Art: Peter Madsen
Coloring: Jonas Sonne

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1684053374?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

But... it doesn't have this in it:

I bought the wrong Bernie Wrightson Frankenstein? :question:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Animal-Mother posted:

So I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1684053374?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Yea I did the same but it also has Kelley Jones so I am okay with it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

A shameful omission.

God drat that book is beautiful

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Some seasonally-appropriate art from Martin Simmonds in the new Image Dracula book.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #157 (1967)
Pencils/Inks/Colors: Jim Steranko

Goosebumps: Terror Trips (2007)
Pencils/Inks: Jamie Tolagson

Goosebumps: Slappy's Tales of Horror (2015)
Pencils/Inks: Jamie Tolagson
Colors: Jose Garibaldi

Happy Halloween!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Those Goosebumps illustrations are sick as hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I guess spiders don't have bones so maybe this makes sense.