Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Feist has left the tour.

Statement on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ch-KNP_Itl_/

Instagram post transcribed by P4K:
https://pitchfork.com/news/feist-announces-shes-leaving-arcade-fire-tour-im-claiming-my-responsibility-now-and-going-home/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Modern Leper posted:

I don't think they can pull off a Van Halen or a Journey. I guess the question is do they become a New Order, or a Tantric/Alter Bridge?

Would honestly be down for Régine and the remaining band pulling a New Order.

Yeah AF are over lol

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Would honestly be down for Régine and the remaining band pulling a New Order.

tbh I don't trust Régine either, seeing as she wrote this apologia:

Régine Chassagne posted:

Win is my soulmate, my songwriting partner, my husband, the father of my beautiful boy. He has been my partner in life and in music for 20 years. And for all of the love in our lives, I have also watched him suffer through immense pain. I have stood by him because I know he is a good man who cares about this world, our band, his fans, friends, and our family. I’ve known Win since before we were “famous,” when we were just ordinary college students. I know what is in his heart, and I know he has never, and would never, touch a woman without her consent and I am certain he never did. He has lost his way and he has found his way back. I love him and love the life we have created together.

I assume Win and Régine will continue Arcade Fire by themselves, but the rest of the band should really :sever: from those two asap

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Unthinkable that the guy who played that crypto show during the pandemic would turn out to be a sex pest

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big City Drinkin posted:

Unthinkable that the guy who played that crypto show during the pandemic would turn out to be a sex pest
Didn't LCD Soundsystem do the same thing though? :ohdear:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rageaholic posted:

Didn't LCD Soundsystem do the same thing though? :ohdear:

It’s ok James Murphy is only sexually attracted to expensive speakers

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rageaholic posted:

3 albums in 1 month?! :sickos:

this approach seems to be working for the band because they're absurdly popular, but i dunno. i really wish they would slow down and release one REALLY GOOD album instead of ten thousand half-baked albums that each have a few cool moments and a lot of filler

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

this approach seems to be working for the band because they're absurdly popular, but i dunno. i really wish they would slow down and release one REALLY GOOD album instead of ten thousand half-baked albums that each have a few cool moments and a lot of filler

They’re terrible

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i wonder if dan boeckner will stay on tour with them, he's been p quiet on twitter

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s nice to see Wayne coyne validated for hating AF at least. Haha

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Will Butler apparently left a like on Feist's statement, which certainly makes you wonder.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

who the gently caress is named "win"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

BigFactory posted:

They’re terrible

What on Earth

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

BonoMan posted:

Going back to music and the metoo movement, but I totally forgot about the Growlers getting pegged with it.

The Guardian actually has an article asking why MeToo skipped over the music industry for the most part:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/03/metoo-music-industry-gatekeepers-women-abuse

The only one that sort if happened was Michael Gira of Swans where the only result was Pitchfork leaving every Swans album off the top albums of the 2010s which just made them look dumb. Swans and Gira ended up doing fine anyway.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

They’re terrible

:blastu:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s ok James Murphy is only sexually attracted to expensive speakers

and Daft Punk.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

kidcoelacanth posted:

who the gently caress is named "win"

Edwin sounds even worse to be fair.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Pinegrove guy canceled himself over what basically should've just been a conversation between adults.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Pinegrove guy canceled himself over what basically should've just been a conversation between adults.

They are still a band and playing, he wasn't really canceled. Getting out in front of it seemed to work. His dynamic was also way different, much smaller time band, a lot younger, etc. The whole thing was definitely he used some young women for groupie sex, but it didn't seem into the straight up harassment/assault that should be the bar for people getting canceled.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Ratios and Tendency posted:

pyf cancelled sex-pest tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jusN8iI8M

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Polo-Rican posted:

Ah, the Guided by Voices approach.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

idk, if you want to make money as a rock band in 2022, you could do a hell of a lot worse than releasing several albums a year

reminded of how Grizzly Bear stopped touring because they just kept losing money, and I'm pretty sure that played into them eventually breaking up

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Personally I think more rock bands need to take the approach of "release drat near everything we record during these sessions so we can move on to the next thing". Unless it's truly absolute garbage, just put it on the album. If it was good enough for the whole band to get on board with it and figure out how to perform it, chances are it's worth something. If it's too many songs, just make two albums. But I've seen too many bands get ultra-precious about what to to canonize on the album and what to hold back because it's not good enough yet, or catering to some grand delusion of fans salivating over a long-rumored unreleased track, begging for it to be graciously bestowed upon them. Once in a blue moon you do need to take your time on a masterpiece, but more often than not, they seem to be happy accidents.

Obviously King Gizzard is kind of an extreme example, but I assume most bands attempting such a thing would not be quite so prolific.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Venomous posted:

idk, if you want to make money as a rock band in 2022, you could do a hell of a lot worse than releasing several albums a year

reminded of how Grizzly Bear stopped touring because they just kept losing money, and I'm pretty sure that played into them eventually breaking up

Isn't touring where bands typically make their money? Album sales usually benefit label/distribution/etc and tours/merch are for the band.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Gizz are on their own label. Not sure if that means they make any money from album sales though.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

BonoMan posted:

Isn't touring where bands typically make their money? Album sales usually benefit label/distribution/etc and tours/merch are for the band.

He's misremembering what happened actually.

Ed Drost had this long-winded bitch session on Instagram about how they weren't making any money on their tour to Australia and New Zealand because of all the fees regarding all the equipment lighting and everything else and I guess their share of ticket sales isn't as high as it should have been. He said they were playing huge shows and still coming out at a loss.

He claimed they were actually losing money on the tour but no one else in the band had ever said that. This was also during the time when he was clearly checked out of the band and wanted to move on with his life. Their last album he's only on it for vocals is pretty much a way to confirm how checked out he was even before that tour.

I understand that Australia is loving huge and doesn't have as many major cities to tour on and the international flights and heavy equipment fees and all of the visas and everything probably did cost a pretty penny.

Just don't tour across the world again if that was the problem but clearly that was just the straw that broke the camel's back for him when he had one foot out the door anyway.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
BTW I would bet big that Grizzly Bear reform and have a tour and maybe even a new album within a decade.

Drost seems like a manic depressive who always finds a way to be unhappy and will probably realize it wasn't being in the band that was causing his issues.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BonoMan posted:

It depends.

So long story short, with a tour, it's a lot of money to run, and you have to do enough shows and sell enough tickets to make money, even with merch sales. It's not uncommon for bands to lose money, and for smaller groups, there's no guarantee.

For a lot of bands, a sync deal can make a lot of money. Write a song, get it in a movie, TV show, or ad, you can make a decent penny.

Edit: I saw a few articles, and some bands talk about how they don't bother with hotels. That going on the road is supposed to be tough. Find a floor to crash on, or sleep in the van. The reality is that touring is really tough for a lot of musicians and requires an unhealthy lifestyle.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 5, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

T Bowl posted:

They're misremembering what happened actually.

ftfy

also, fair dos tbh, I wasn't aware of the whole story

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Venomous posted:

ftfy

also, fair dos tbh, I wasn't aware of the whole story

My apologies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1567227334758998016

Oh my god, I would absolutely love to hear that whole album live. And they're playing here on this tour! But it's the same night as The Smile show that I already have a ticket for! gently caress! :negative:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Aware I’m opening myself up to looking very dumb but has this Korean version of Be Sweet with a guest singer been out there for a while? Just put Jubilee on the Bandcamp app and it was tacked on at the end of the album recently I think.

It knocks btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf9MXeorVlk

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
There’s some godawful midi version of Losing My Religion playing on SomaFM right now and apparently SA is responsible. I shouldn’t be surprised.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Aware I’m opening myself up to looking very dumb but has this Korean version of Be Sweet with a guest singer been out there for a while? Just put Jubilee on the Bandcamp app and it was tacked on at the end of the album recently I think.

I love it it's so surreal

Creature posted:

There’s some godawful midi version of Losing My Religion playing on SomaFM right now and apparently SA is responsible. I shouldn’t be surprised.

haha remember the crunk versions of those Radiohead songs

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

New Phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxTCTAnTP6Q

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Sir Lemming posted:

Personally I think more rock bands need to take the approach of "release drat near everything we record during these sessions so we can move on to the next thing". Unless it's truly absolute garbage, just put it on the album. If it was good enough for the whole band to get on board with it and figure out how to perform it, chances are it's worth something. If it's too many songs, just make two albums. But I've seen too many bands get ultra-precious about what to to canonize on the album and what to hold back because it's not good enough yet, or catering to some grand delusion of fans salivating over a long-rumored unreleased track, begging for it to be graciously bestowed upon them. Once in a blue moon you do need to take your time on a masterpiece, but more often than not, they seem to be happy accidents.

Obviously King Gizzard is kind of an extreme example, but I assume most bands attempting such a thing would not be quite so prolific.
KGLW is taking on an approach where they stay in the public consciousness by rapidly releasing albums that are novel and attention getting, their approach is risky in a way. and I do think other bands are noticing. Osees increased their output and are taking genre risks. Weezer’s doing the same.

I think it makes sense. even if you did just spend five years in a studio putting together than album. It’s going to get a 7 anyways (unless you’re Radiohead, then it’s an 8) because rock is uncool now.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
AT BEST you are going to get a 8.0, and your work in the critical discourse will be overshadowed by the more contemporary genres.

So yeah, if you can’t win the critic’s hearts, win the people’s.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 7, 2022

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I got the sense that King Gizzard's recorded output is immaterial since they're now the Grateful Dead/Phish for millennials and zoomers as a live act

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Not really, there are countless jam bands out there that fill that idea/tradition more so honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
God the new King Gizz bores me to tears.