Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Samsung Tab S is best overall Android tablet
Shield Tablet is the best Android tablet with Lollipop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Alright, which one of you goons works at HTC and is trolling the hell out of me.

I ordered a magic cover during the 50% off sale last week. This arrived today:

(it's an LG flip phone from Tracfone)

:stare: :wtf: :stare:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just flip it for pure profit

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hotsauce posted:

Alright, which one of you goons works at HTC and is trolling the hell out of me.

I ordered a magic cover during the 50% off sale last week. This arrived today:

(it's an LG flip phone from Tracfone)

:stare: :wtf: :stare:

Even when you aren't trying to buy a new phone, you're buying a new phone :D

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to jumpstart the OTA updates, particularly on a Nexus 7 (2012) other than occasionally rebooting and checking manually?

I'm still on Kitkat, it feels like I'm going back into the queue every time a new incremental update is published. If they keep pushing out point releases, I feel like I'll never get Lollipop at this point.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Is there a way to jumpstart the OTA updates, particularly on a Nexus 7 (2012) other than occasionally rebooting and checking manually?

I'm still on Kitkat, it feels like I'm going back into the queue every time a new incremental update is published. If they keep pushing out point releases, I feel like I'll never get Lollipop at this point.

If you have adb on your computer and the drivers all set up, it is trivial. Download OTA. Connect your tablet to the computer. In a command window where adb/fastboot are, type:
code:
adb devices
and confirm the tablet shows up. If it does, then do:
code:
adb reboot bootloader
Your tablet will reboot. Use the volume buttons to select recovery, then power button to get into the stock recovery. Now type:
code:
adb sideload update.zip
where "update.zip" is the OTA filename.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can just do adb reboot recovery to get straight in there, unless there's some caveat I'm forgetting

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Where are people downloading OTA updates from? I only know where to get full firmware.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Where are people downloading OTA updates from? I only know where to get full firmware.

Android blog/tech sites regularly host them. Just Google "[device] [android version] ota".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Android blog/tech sites regularly host them. Just Google "[device] [android version] ota".
Google hosts them, blogs just post the links to Google.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

RVProfootballer posted:

If you have adb on your computer and the drivers all set up, it is trivial.

Flashing will delete all apps and user data though, right?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

No, sideloading a zip does not perform a factory reset.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mcbexx posted:

That only happens if you grab the full factory image, and flash using the flash-all script it comes with ( which includes a wipe command).

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Okay, I'm having a REALLY weird issue on my 2013 N7:

Every night when I go to bed I link up my tablet to a UE Mini Boom bluetooth speaker. I play music while I fall asleep from one of two sources.

1) Digitally Imported Radio app. I turn on the sleep timer in the app and everything works good. The music plays until the timer shuts it off, and then the Mini Boom auto-powers off after like 15 minutes of no music.

2) Google Play Music. Here's where the issue lies; after the music starts it will randomly stop at some point, but when I say "stop" I mean no music comes from the speaker while the app clearly shows that the track is still playing. Usually if I pause and start again the speaker starts outputting again. However even if it makes it to the end of the track, Play Music seems to never actually stop, it holds the app awake and the Mini Boom never disconnects because it thinks the music is still playing.

I've tried the speaker with my Moto X and I don't have the problem, nor do I seem to have it with other audio apps on the N7. This is leading me to believe it's a Play Music issue but I'm still having it after wiping the app. My next step is to factory reset the tablet but before I do I figured I check in here in case anyone has any other ideas.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So the 2013 N7 is pretty much the go-to for a ~200 tablet I take it? My brother is looking for one for 'comics, web browsing, Netflix, and a little bit of gaming'. He's not a huge fan of the full iPad-sized form factor, so I'm thinking it's between a Nexus 7 or a refurbished iPad Mini 2 if he's willing to pop up to $250.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Require More Fire posted:

2) Google Play Music. Here's where the issue lies; after the music starts it will randomly stop at some point, but when I say "stop" I mean no music comes from the speaker while the app clearly shows that the track is still playing.

Stab in the dark:
Do you have Tasker or Llama turn your volume off at a specific time at night?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

mcbexx posted:

Stab in the dark:
Do you have Tasker or Llama turn your volume off at a specific time at night?

Nope. I was using a 3rd party sleep timer app for a time, but I uninstalled it when I started having the issue in case that was the culprit.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I got tired of my old, slow tablet (I was, no joke, still using an HP Touchpad with Android 4.1) and impulse bought a Nexus 9. Just waiting on it to ship. I bought the smart cover, any other must-have accessories for fellow N9 owners?

Q_res fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 22, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Q_res posted:

I got tired of my old, slow tablet (I was, no joke, still using an HP Touchpad with Android 4.1) and impulse bought a Nexus 9. Just waiting on it to ship. I bought the smart cover, any other must-have accessories for fellow N9 owners?

So I have a weird Nexus 9 relationship. I've had five so far. However:

1) Purchased 32GB full price from Best Buy ($499). The quality was 100% fine, no build issues and it worked really well. But a few days later they had them on sale, $50 off, and I had a couple $5 Best Buy giftcards given to me after I purchased the first one, so I returned it and purchased:
2) 16GB at Best Buy ($399). This one was complete garbage, the screen bleeding was horrible, completely horrible and the volume keys were almost unusable. I exchanged it at Best Buy for
3) 16GB, the build quality was terrific. No problems at all, however, Amazon then had a terrific sale on the N9, and I had even more Amazon giftcards, plus they were offering it with a $50 Play Giftcard, so I returned it to Best Buy and bought one from Amazon
4) 16GB from Amazon ($349+$50 gift card). I sold the giftcard for $40, so it ended up only costing $309. However this was the absolute worst yet. The screen had terrible bleeding and the edges were completely white, so I swapped it on Amazon for another 16GB.
5) 16GB from Amazon . This one is almost as bad as the others, I'm going to exchange it on Jan 30, the last day it's valid for returns and hopefully get one that isn't terribly built. It's a complete joke.

However, I went from spending nearly $500, to only $300. Which is why there's a couple of those swaps, but the build quality is a complete joke. However, the two I got that were fine were great devices, I just need to settle on one that isn't complete garbage. I really would have preferred to stick with the N7 but I need a larger screen with 4:3 so I can read all the PDFs I need for work. If I could get one that is built well I'd be more than happy with the purchase, but for now my lot is playing the exchange game. Luckily I can do it all online, so it's just takes a couple seconds to return it, and the new setup process restores the device to the same state each time, so I'm not really loosing that much time.

I know YOSPOS, consider this an early Christmas present.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Build quality of my N9 is just fine, I just wish lollipop wasn't such a boat anchor. I feel that 5.0 is tainting my experience of what could be a very good device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Build quality of my N9 is just fine, I just wish lollipop wasn't such a boat anchor. I feel that 5.0 is tainting my experience of what could be a very good device.
While I don't know what specific complaints you have, I'd imagine the worst drawback to the N9 is the SoC. Here is a post from YOSPOS detailing exactly how the N9's processor works and why it sucks. You don't need to know the technical details to know, however, that Nvidia lacks the expertise, patents, and manufacturing ability to make a good SoC and that's just the way it is. In the end nothing will change the fact that this architecture is inherently flawed and a technological dead end.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

At the other hand my Galaxy S4 feels even faster with a 5.0 Google Edition rom with a Snapdragon 600. My Nexus 7 2013 feels the same and I don't even want to try a rom for my now almost unused Asus TF201 (Tegra 3 haha).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

However, I went from spending nearly $500, to only $300. Which is why there's a couple of those swaps, but the build quality is a complete joke. However, the two I got that were fine were great devices, I just need to settle on one that isn't complete garbage. I really would have preferred to stick with the N7 but I need a larger screen with 4:3 so I can read all the PDFs I need for work. If I could get one that is built well I'd be more than happy with the purchase, but for now my lot is playing the exchange game. Luckily I can do it all online, so it's just takes a couple seconds to return it, and the new setup process restores the device to the same state each time, so I'm not really loosing that much time.

If only there was a high-quality 4:3 tablet with a mature app ecosystem that you could buy for $300 or so right now without having to go through a billion swaps...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

If only there was a high-quality 4:3 tablet with a mature app ecosystem that you could buy for $300 or so right now without having to go through a billion swaps...
  • 4:3 aspect ratio
  • Mature ecosystem
  • Low price
  • Feeds mental illness

Hmm, not sure the iPad is ticking all the boxes there.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I've had my Sony Z3 Compact tablet a while now and, whilst I pretty much love most things about it, there is something about the general size of it that means I've nearly dropped it about a dozen times already. Never had this issue with my iPad air!

I just hope it gets a lollipop update soon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So I have a weird Nexus 9 relationship. I've had five so far. However:

1) Purchased 32GB full price from Best Buy ($499). The quality was 100% fine, no build issues and it worked really well. But a few days later they had them on sale, $50 off, and I had a couple $5 Best Buy giftcards given to me after I purchased the first one, so I returned it and purchased:
2) 16GB at Best Buy ($399). This one was complete garbage, the screen bleeding was horrible, completely horrible and the volume keys were almost unusable. I exchanged it at Best Buy for
3) 16GB, the build quality was terrific. No problems at all, however, Amazon then had a terrific sale on the N9, and I had even more Amazon giftcards, plus they were offering it with a $50 Play Giftcard, so I returned it to Best Buy and bought one from Amazon
4) 16GB from Amazon ($349+$50 gift card). I sold the giftcard for $40, so it ended up only costing $309. However this was the absolute worst yet. The screen had terrible bleeding and the edges were completely white, so I swapped it on Amazon for another 16GB.
5) 16GB from Amazon . This one is almost as bad as the others, I'm going to exchange it on Jan 30, the last day it's valid for returns and hopefully get one that isn't terribly built. It's a complete joke.

I know YOSPOS, consider this an early Christmas present.

I think I'm more surprised that you traded in a perfectly working tablet just to save $200 in the end. :v: Knowing the build quality of Nexus devices, I would've just ate the $200 and just been happy I was lucky enough to get a good model.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think I'm more surprised that you traded in a perfectly working tablet just to save $200 in the end. :v:

I'm surprised that you're a regular in this thread and somehow surprised by his obsessive return & rebuying habits.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Endless Mike posted:

Counterpoint: timb

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm surprised that you're a regular in this thread and somehow surprised by his obsessive return & rebuying habits.
I understand it's a problem, but for a few minutes of work, I saved nearly $200 on something I was buying anyways. What do you guys do when you get something, and a day later it's available at a much lower price?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I understand it's a problem, but for a few minutes of work, I saved nearly $200 on something I was buying anyways. What do you guys do when you get something, and a day later it's available at a much lower price?

Say to myself "That sucks." and move on with my life.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Good point. hah

Depends on what the item is. Nexus devices (especially launch Nexus devices) always have lovely hardware problems but you were lucky enough to pick up one with none. I would say that's worth just being happy you lucked out.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was at Best Buy today, and people were freaking the gently caress out over this $39 quad-core tablet:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland-7-8gb-black/8610212.p?id=1219354106671&skuId=8610212

It has KitKat, GPS, Bluetooth, dual cameras, an FM tuner, an SD expansion slot, and the demo unit ran surprisingly smooth. Screen's low quality, but hey. I bought a few as stocking stuffers.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 23, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

I was at Best Buy today, and people were freaking the gently caress out over this $39 quad-core tablet:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland-7-8gb-black/8610212.p?id=1219354106671&skuId=8610212

It has KitKat, GPS, Bluetooth, dual cameras, an FM tuner, an SD expansion slot, and the demo unit ran surprisingly smooth. Screen's low quality, but hey. I bought a few as stocking stuffers.

7" TN 1024x600 is really bad :( The one thing you shouldn't skimp on with a tablet is the display. A stuttery tablet with a nice display >>>>> smooth tablet with an awful display. Bad to read on, bad to browse the internet on, probably video is the only thing that the display doesn't completely kill.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Like how bad is the display? I need to replace my Sony Dashes, I have been considering the Nexus 7+ dock but I really don't know that I want to invest that much money, for $40 I could probably figure out some sort of proper looking mount like jamming it into a picture frame to make in functional for TV as well (TWC streams all their channels over IP with a free Android app).

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Boy, I came in here to freak out about not getting the OTA Lollipop for my 2012 Nexus Wifi and it seems that...I have nothing to worry about? Just keep on keepin on? Cool

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

Like how bad is the display? I need to replace my Sony Dashes, I have been considering the Nexus 7+ dock but I really don't know that I want to invest that much money, for $40 I could probably figure out some sort of proper looking mount like jamming it into a picture frame to make in functional for TV as well (TWC streams all their channels over IP with a free Android app).

It felt dim to others I was talking with. I didn't mess with the power settings, but the brightness setting was already cranked as high as it could go.

Guy I was talking to was going to grab one as a GPS for his car.

Here's a random unboxing video where you can get an idea of what the screen looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJmhpbdQ930

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Well everything seems dim with the Best Buy lights. For $40 I really tempted, keep in mind I have a Galaxy Tab S for actual tablet use, this would be for putting the news on in the bathroom in the morning.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Well everything seems dim with the Best Buy lights. For $40 I really tempted, keep in mind I have a Galaxy Tab S for actual tablet use, this would be for putting the news on in the bathroom in the morning.

Why don't you use your current tablet?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

So I'm an artist/architect/photographer and I'd love a tablet on which to do rough/informal photo editing, photoshoots (remote capture via USB), drawing/sketching, even simple sketchup modelling if it's possible. And media consumption, certainly.

I was at the Shop Of The Future yesterday and played with a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. I think it's safe to say... I'm smitten. I love the multi-tasking, the size, and the STYLUS.

But what I want to know is - in terms of tablets/laptops, it seems to be in the price range that straddles both. Are there laptops with touchscreens that would work with a stylus? Or are there tablets where a Wacom stylus would be just as good as the NotePro? I can definitely see myself wanting something more like a real pen, as the Note Pro stylus is pretty tiny... and pressure sensitivity is really important in terms of drawing/sketching. But if there's a more powerful touchscreen laptop to be had where I can get everything the tablet gives me (while staying in Windows), that'd be swell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Blitz7x posted:

Boy, I came in here to freak out about not getting the OTA Lollipop for my 2012 Nexus Wifi and it seems that...I have nothing to worry about? Just keep on keepin on? Cool

You'll get it eventually. And it'll probably just jump straight to 5.0.2 which is much improved over the initial 5.0 release. At least it is for me.