Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And More posted:

I had no idea people were gonna go nuts on me for using "canon". :stonk:

Yeah, fairly sure canon can just mean "stuff that is part of the main text". I thought Terror Sweat meant that the earlier encounter between Garou and Saitama had been removed from the official comic.

I distinctly remember one non-canonical scene before the tournament while Saitama is sitting in the dressing room. Sour Face comes in and tries to take his wig, and Saitama dodges around. This scene was removed, and a similar scene was placed in the middle of the tournament. The new scene is canonical, the older one isn't.

edit: Oh, and I wasn't talking about the ONE version at all.

Oh that's just diverging timelines. That'll be back in 70 parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

And More posted:

I had no idea people were gonna go nuts on me for using "canon". :stonk:
May i present to you, the somethingawful forums

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Symbolic Butt posted:

blast is probably just saitama with hair

Blast is Saitamas hair. Sentient and indestructible hair

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I hope that Glasses from a few chapters ago keeps progressing and becomes the next almost-Saitama

He owns and is only second to Mumen Rider

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I hope blast is literally Goku.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bacontotem posted:

I hope blast is literally Goku.

Boros was Goku.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Boros was like the villain from one of those lesser talked about DBZ movies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blast is Casshern

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
That was a good chapter for the Zombieman origins, but this limiter stuff just confused things.

If a living being gets too strong, it goes insane, we're told over a shot of Royal Ripper.
So have humans who turned into monsters gone over the limit? --No, that's just a physical transformation, nothing to do with limiters.
What about natural monsters and aliens? --No, they're just naturally super strong, nothing to do with limiters. (Boros is shown here for the reader, since nobody but Saitama saw him and Sweet Mask killed the crew survivors.)

OK, so any examples of a limiter being surpassed with the associated consequences? Asura Rhino, maybe?? --NO. Look, Saitama broke the limiter and was fine. That's it.
Great. Very useful information, thanks.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Mordecai posted:

OK, so any examples of a limiter being surpassed with the associated consequences? Asura Rhino, maybe?? --NO. Look, Saitama broke the limiter and was fine. That's it.

No offense to you at all, but I'm pretty sure that's the joke. Saitama breaking the rules is the center of most of the humor in this series, and despite the re-draw having expanded action scenes this is still a comedy manga at heart

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Blast is pig god. he just really let himself go.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mordecai posted:

That was a good chapter for the Zombieman origins, but this limiter stuff just confused things.

If a living being gets too strong, it goes insane, we're told over a shot of Royal Ripper.
So have humans who turned into monsters gone over the limit? --No, that's just a physical transformation, nothing to do with limiters.
What about natural monsters and aliens? --No, they're just naturally super strong, nothing to do with limiters. (Boros is shown here for the reader, since nobody but Saitama saw him and Sweet Mask killed the crew survivors.)

:chillpill:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kild posted:

It's from his author notes mostly and his interviews

But specifically stuff like "locked in a hotel room" and "drew while lying on his back" are just unconfirmed rumors afaik.

Yeah he very definitely has some sort of chronic pain issues but the details are pretty much speculation and rumor

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mordecai posted:

the limiter stuff is just them trying to figure out why saitama is so fuckin' strong, and failing

that's all it is

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

the limiter stuff is just them trying to figure out why saitama is so fuckin' strong, and failing

It ain't even that. Genus, the guy who tried to make strong monster by altering genetics, is just explaining how "the very image of Mr. Everyman" disproved his worldview.

He doesn't fail to "figure out" why Saitama is strong, he takes Saitama at his word that he got strong through hard work.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

He doesn't fail to "figure out" why Saitama is strong, he takes Saitama at his word that he got strong through hard work.

not really because he still has to invent some imaginary limiter to understand it

saitama literally got that strong through his incredible training routine, there is nothing else to it and no limiters or whatever

that is The Joke

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Basically:

Saitama is strong in a way that defies whatever logic anyone else thinks poo poo operates under in the setting (we know this).

It's narratively framed in a way to imply that Garou may also do the same.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

saitama literally got that strong through his incredible training routine, there is nothing else to it

That's exactly what Genus says. You are agreeing with him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Basically:

Saitama is strong in a way that defies whatever logic anyone else thinks poo poo operates under in the setting (we know this).

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

not really because he still has to invent some imaginary limiter to understand it

saitama literally got that strong through his incredible training routine, there is nothing else to it and no limiters or whatever

that is The Joke

i mean the side effects of breaking the limiter aren't imaginary, the alienation and mental toll on saitama are realhe just lucily has been able to develop some other relationships before going insane

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Elfgames posted:

i mean the side effects of breaking the limiter aren't imaginary, the alienation and mental toll on saitama are realhe just lucily has been able to develop some other relationships before going insane

true, i'm just saying there's no "limiter" or whatever or if there is, someone's going to break it and then immediately get exploded by saitama

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
or maybe nobody else is going to break it and it's just saitama

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Elfgames posted:

or maybe nobody else is going to break it and it's just saitama

DING DING DING

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Except that one dude who is doing exactly what Saitama said

He might do it

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Parrotine posted:

He might do it

i mean i doubt it i feel like saitama's emotional and mental condition is what let him do it.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Mordecai posted:

Look, Saitama broke the limiter and was fine. That's it.

Um, he clearly went bald, which is AWFUL

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the point Genus was making is that he broke his limiter. No one else has done this. How or why it happened is unknown.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah the point Genus was making is that he broke his limiter. No one else has done this. How or why it happened is unknown.

I'm pretty sure Saitama's explained how and why

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Parrotine posted:

He might do it

and then Saitama beats him with a single punch

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Elfgames posted:

i mean i doubt it i feel like saitama's emotional and mental condition is what let him do it.

also the baldness

if you don't go bald from the intense training then get that weak poo poo out of here

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xarbala posted:

I'm pretty sure Saitama's explained how and why

Well to be exact he explained the how. The Why was not explained. As what he did could not have allowed him to become so strong naturally. But as Genus said, somehow while doing this he broke all limits that his body had and became Godly in power, just by doing simple strength training.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The why is because he wanted to be a hero :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well to be exact he explained the how. The Why was not explained. As what he did could not have allowed him to become so strong naturally.

no, it totally did

That Is The Joke

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Someone is going to try and replicate it, but instead of getting super powers and baldness just gets the baldness.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
'Swhat they get for using AC in summer.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my understanding of the explanation was "every person has a physical limit to how strong they can get. saitama's natural limit was so low that he was able to grind right up against it through basic strength training. because he diligently kept pushing without compromise, he was able to eek out the tiniest bit of strength past his natural limit, which just Broke Everything and gave him godly strength."

to what extent that's supposed to be taken seriously or not i don't know and also can't say i particularly care about. it's a satisfying enough explanation that also could very easily be the scientist just bullshitting.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like the explanation, though it's somewhat muddied by the fact that we've seen Saitama mid-training, as he was getting stronger, and he definitely still had all his hair at points where he could one shot monsters, yet still wasn't as strong as he is now, which implies that he was gradually gaining strength over time, not that he just suddenly broke through his limits. If that was the case, he could have stopped when he still had hair and still be the worlds strongest hero.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
This was all shown way back in the extra chapter of volume 2

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Punch-015-005?id=369860#1

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xarbala posted:

The why is because he wanted to be a hero :v:

A hero so strong he could beat any monster in one punch.

Also, don't forget that Genus is going by his own interpretation of how things work, he may have some things wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think people are over complicating things.

The wording is clumsy, but it's not some mystical bullshit, it's just the basic premise of the story. Humans/monsters/heroes/space aliens each have a certain range of strength (that is, they're limited), but Saitama is far outside of that. What's significant about it is that Genus, a character in the story, has taken notice of this.

While it does serve as foreshadowing, more than that it's showing that, even though Saitama goes mostly unrecognized, he is making a difference and people are beginning to realize this.