Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hitman holds up (very well) because it was set right in the edge of the DCU so he could get away with a alot but in the end it still had to be a general audiences series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He's a writer very, very invested in traditional masculinity, and while he can wax pretty poetic about it, he's also anywhere from skeptical to dismissive to outright hostile to anything that diverges from it. So he can write a pretty well-executed if formulaic World War II story about fearless fighting men but anything that requires writing about actual culture and actual society falls apart under the weight of his archaic revulsion.

Like, he feels like such an unbelievable, egregious artifact of a different, worse era. He treats race abysmally, and can't seem to write black men in particular as anything other than anhedonic walking sex engines. He'll also probably never stop finding rape funny because in his moral universe sexual assault is a fitting and sly punishment for "weak" men. When he's good he's good, I guess, but at this point it's been at least a decade since it's felt worth giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I agree that Hitman is among his best, precisely because, as Rhyno mentions, he was reined in and edited. It had to exist in the moral universe of the DC Universe, where people are, in the end, not ravenous beasts, and while it poked at the more hard-boiled edges of that universe, he still had to play by those rules. So much of Hitman is so good, and you know, all things considered Natt the Hat is, despite what I said above about Ennis and race, a pretty well-realized character.That being said, Bueno Excellante is still a loving atrocious joke, and I think it's pretty damning that Ennis feels compelled to revisit the one loving joke that he offers each time he revisits that milieu.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 15, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduke posted:

He's a writer very, very invested in traditional masculinity, and while he can wax pretty poetic about it, he's also anywhere from skeptical to dismissive to outright hostile to anything that diverges from it. So he can write a pretty well-executed if formulaic World War II story about fearless fighting men but anything that requires writing about actual culture and actual society falls apart under the weight of his archaic revulsion.

I ran across an interview where Ennis said he couldn't write Judge Dredd anymore because he respected the character too much. Now, on one level, that's good. If Dredd doesn't have a small core of satire at his stories, he's not really Dredd. It came off as 'I can't write Joe Dredd anymore because I like him too much to write him for a whole prog with a weasel in his colon' or something similar.

quote:

I agree that Hit Man is among his best, precisely because, as Rhyno mentions, he was reined in and edited. It had to exist in the moral universe of the DC Universe, where people are, in the end, not ravenous beasts, and while it poked at the more hard-boiled edges of that universe, he still had to play by those rules. That being said, Bueno Excellante is still a loving atrocious joke, and I think it's pretty damning that Ennis feels compelled to revisit the one loving joke that he offers each time he revisits that milieu.

It's also telling that the only thing he ever mentions going back to from Preacher is the Sexual Detectives and apparently whatever idea he gave to Vertigo they said, "Uh, no."

That said, I almost tear up just thinking about the end of 'Closing Time' in Hitman. Almost. To actually do so I'd have to re-read it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Archyduke posted:

Like, he feels like such an unbelievable, egregious artifact of a different, worse era. He treats race abysmally, and can't seem to write black men in particular as anything other than anhedonic walking sex engines. He'll also probably never stop finding rape funny because in his moral universe sexual assault is a fitting and sly punishment for "weak" men. When he's good he's good, I guess, but at this point it's been at least a decade since it's felt worth giving him the benefit of the doubt.

You saying this really makes me wonder what that Tuskegee Airmen book he wrote for Aftershock was like. I know I saw some pages from his James Bond parody book for Aftershock and they were among the worst things I’ve ever read on a comic page.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

You saying this really makes me wonder what that Tuskegee Airmen book he wrote for Aftershock was like.

I really liked it! Probably the only Ennis-written series I enjoyed outside of Punisher and Punisher MAX.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

Like, he feels like such an unbelievable, egregious artifact of a different, worse era.

Northern Ireland is anywhere from 50 to 100 years behind the rest of Europe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Archyduke posted:

He's a writer very, very invested in traditional masculinity, and while he can wax pretty poetic about it, he's also anywhere from skeptical to dismissive to outright hostile to anything that diverges from it.

I don't know about that. In Preacher both Cassidy and Custer are portrayed as traditional masculine and that masculinity almost destroys both of them. Likewise in his Hellblazer where Constantine gets called out for his toxic masculinity:

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Alhazred posted:

I don't know about that. In Preacher both Cassidy and Custer are portrayed as traditional masculine and that masculinity almost destroys both of them. Likewise in his Hellblazer where Constantine gets called out for his toxic masculinity:

I feel like he's having his cake and eating it too when he does that self-critique. Butcher from The Boys is toxic and is supposedly explicitly not a hero, but the narrative still mostly celebrates him for being a badass antihero. Same thing for the Punisher.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Servoret posted:

I feel like he's having his cake and eating it too when he does that self-critique. Butcher from The Boys is toxic and is supposedly explicitly not a hero, but the narrative still mostly celebrates him for being a badass antihero. Same thing for the Punisher.

OTOH Butcher knows he’s a bad guy and puts Huey, who is decidedly unmasculine, in position to stop him. I think Ennis is just kind of stuck halfway with this stuff. Like he “gets it” and can work with that, but he also harbours a lot of regessive attitudes in himself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Retro Futurist posted:

OTOH Butcher knows he’s a bad guy and puts Huey, who is decidedly unmasculine, in position to stop him. I think Ennis is just kind of stuck halfway with this stuff. Like he “gets it” and can work with that, but he also harbours a lot of regessive attitudes in himself.

Like if Frank Miller had some self-awareness.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

There’s still some sort of Hegelian synthesis going on where Huey has to learn to man up from Butcher before he’s in a position to stop him. Butcher represents an unreasonable ideal of masculinity that, in Ennis’s judgment, comic book nerds can stand to learn a thing or two from, so we can at least have the dignity of idolizing real world heroes like the British SAS instead of musclemen in leotards.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Retro Futurist posted:

yeah you get weird poo poo like the slavers arc of max that tries to tackle stuff like rape and trauma afterwards in a serious way but hes constitutionally incapable of not having rape jokes in literally everything he publishes. or the arc the issue in the boys where he has huey tell butcher to ease up on the homophobia, but story that takes place in is just one long dig at some homophobic caricatures he made

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Let's never forget where Huey found his pet hamster. Actually, I wish I could, but we shouldn't.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

site posted:

yeah you get weird poo poo like the slavers arc of max that tries to tackle stuff like rape and trauma afterwards in a serious way but hes constitutionally incapable of not having rape jokes in literally everything he publishes. or the arc the issue in the boys where he has huey tell butcher to ease up on the homophobia, but story that takes place in is just one long dig at some homophobic caricatures he made

Ennis is bad when it comes to rape. When a woman is raped in his stories its a terrible tragedy, but when a man is raped its either written as a joke or something you should be able to shrug off.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Boys has a very weird thing where Hughie is sexually assaulted by Black Noir in an early story as a joke, but then later on it's played as serious trauma and he commiserates with Starlight about their shared experience of sexual assault. In general, while he has his worse excesses, Ennis is capable of nuance and compassion. He just isn't always in the mood for it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I've never really warmed up to Frank Quitely, if we're being honest, but I can respect the craft if not the result.
I like Frank Quitely, but I couldn't get over Steve Dillon's faces.

I could not get over how badly suited Damion Scott was for Batgirl.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I could not get over how badly suited Damion Scott was for Batgirl.

Diff'rent strokes there. I thought the stylized and kinetic look worked for her book.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean it could, but Scott drew fights like someone who has only ever had a kung fu movie described to him over a walkie-talkie. That's not good for a character whose Thing is martial arts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I started reading post rebirth Detective Comics because I asked for good Batwoman comics and it was suggested. How long does Tim Drake stay "dead" after the first arc, I know it has something to do with weird cosmic poo poo or something that I don't actually care about, but I liked the way he was written in that and want him back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

I started reading post rebirth Detective Comics because I asked for good Batwoman comics and it was suggested. How long does Tim Drake stay "dead" after the first arc, I know it has something to do with weird cosmic poo poo or something that I don't actually care about, but I liked the way he was written in that and want him back.

For a while but he’s a major part of the full run. The focus of a lot of what’s to come. He’s Tynion’s favorite comic character and it shows.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Can someone tell me what the big backlash with Nick Spencer and Secret Empire were about?

Because all in all, I thought it was a well done crossover. In fact his Cap run as a whole I thought was pretty solid (hammy political commentary aside).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Knives Amilli posted:

Can someone tell me what the big backlash with Nick Spencer and Secret Empire were about?

Because all in all, I thought it was a well done crossover. In fact his Cap run as a whole I thought was pretty solid (hammy political commentary aside).

Well equal parts that it went on too long and was poorly timed with what was going on with the country (though not sure if that was more unfortunate or commentary).

Mostly I think we were just dealing with too much Nazis in real life and then having to deal with Hydra Cap at the same time was a little much.

There are a lot of other biases against Spencer for past poorly written books (His Ultimate X-Men is among one of the worst runs of comics I've ever read) and there's some really sketchy stuff in his past as well. So honestly a lot of reasons.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People don’t like his politics and everything has to be the worst. There is no middle ground.

(They’re right. His lovely simplistic politics come through his work. I thought secret empire was boring, but not particularly bad.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He also wrote (spoke?) himself into a corner by saying there wasn't gonna be a situation where it turned out Nazi Steve wasn't the real deal, and then it turned out that, essentially, he wasn't. It basically worked out in similar fashion to Spider Man's clone saga, except Clone Saga had its' share of fans until they extended the story because Marvel was bleeding money, which cased small plot holes to be plot holes the size of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Knives Amilli posted:

As prior posters have stated, he is bad. And the ways in which he is bad are pretty bad too.

Also, turning Captain America into a Nazi analogue is just the dumbest possible plot idea. It's Captain America, for gently caress's sake. You may as well try turning Magneto into a Nazi for how incompatible it is with the character's history. Nick Spencer is a mediocre writer who, despite being an adult, is still that kid screaming "Look at how edgy I am!" at anyone who will listen.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I still don’t buy that as being a problem at all. Turning Captain America into a Nazi analogue to contrast it to the real Captain America is a fine story beat by a better writer.

The fact it took almost a year to tell the story made it a lot worse than if this was a couple issues quickly told. Dragging it out for as long as they did made it worse.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's like Batman with guns or the aforementioned Nazi Magneto to me. Sure you could, but why?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think one thing in particular people really didn't like was the whole "This is really Captain America's true history, he was always a Nazi."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I think one thing in particular people really didn't like was the whole "This is really Captain America's true history, he was always a Nazi."

It's lazy and unwanted, yeah. I think it was Mark Gruenwald who once said that the trick to writing comics that people like is to give people things they wanted that they didn't know they wanted until it's presented to them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

It's like Batman with guns or the aforementioned Nazi Magneto to me. Sure you could, but why?

I think the purpose of stories like that is pretty evident, it shows by contrast how good the real heroes are. I mean it's like those panels everyone posts where Cap denounces the Commie-smasher Cap by saying that a flag is nothing, or when Azrael acknowledges that Bruce Wayne is the true Batman and edginess is not the way.

I think NaziCap is a perfectly good idea, it just came out at a real bad time and the story definitely went on too long. Also the "actually the Nazis won the war" twist is really uncomfortable and it's blatantly obvious that the only reason it existed is so Spencer could go "Not A Hoax! Not An Imaginary Story, etc" and be technically correct.

The part of Secret Empire that bothers me more are the little things where you can tell that the story was planned before other events were written (like don't even try to loving tell me that the original plan for SE involved a Tony Stark AI that's "drunk" because he's depressed and purposefully nerfed his processing power and not an actual drunk Tony Stark) or the stuff that's a sloppy metaphor for some real world poo poo but totally doesn't work within the Marvel Universe. Like for example the planetary defense shield which is a blatant border wall that Carol Danvers and Maria Hill are framed as in the wrong for installing/activating, when in truth loving everybody would jump for a planet wall when the 616 is being attacked by aliens every other week.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 21, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Note that in your two examples, they were fakes and not the actual character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The story ends with the original/true character returning to show people how the impostor's ideology and methods are flawed and then everybody both the stupid public and the heroes who have embraced the wrong side reject the evil/wrong "hero". They're not that different. I get it, I know it's controversial and it rubs people the wrong way but as I see it, ymmv, no matter what anyone including Spencer says, at the end of the day it's just another mind control/impostor story.

Like I said, I don't think Secret Empire was some great story, it's got plot holes and some bad writing, but in a world where one of DC's best comics (Injustice) is based on the premise of "what if Superman was a fascist?", I don't think a story where Captain America becomes a Nazi is inherently wrong, so long as it's written well and makes a point to show us why it's wrong.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 21, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TwoPair posted:

Like for example the planetary defense shield which is a blatant border wall that Carol Danvers and Maria Hill are framed as in the wrong for installing/activating, when in truth loving everybody would jump for a planet wall when the 616 is being attacked by aliens every other week.
Which part of that is not analogous to America's border wall? :smugdon:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Injustice is also an alternate universe and at some point in the story The Real Superman shows up to beat his rear end. It's a thin line, but it's a line to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They made Captain America a literal Nazi for almost 2 years and hosed with the character development for a lot of other characters. If it'd been a six issue arc it would have been fine.

Injustices great because its not in continuity and has amazing character moments, and is frequently hilarious. They really aren't comparable in any way aside from the paragon of virtue becoming bad, and even then, Superman has an actual motivation for every terrible thing he does instead of "a magic rock did it." Which is odd since there's a ton of silver age comics where Superman becomes evil because of different colors of kryptonite.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

muscles like this! posted:

This is the big one for me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In my mind the whole thing with Nazi Cap was, Nick Spencer got so enamoured with the new fake backstory he wrote for Steve that he focused on that. And he lost track of the original idea of Cap as the sleeper agent.

The argument that Steve was always a Nazi and that the Allies lost World War 2 until they cheated was obviously bullshit. Like even in the story, all the people who tell us this are clearly liars or with huge agendas. I just think Spencer leaned too hard into that line because he spent so much time on his fake Hydra world that he had to justify it in his own head.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Given the state of the world in the last few years, having the living embodiment of America turn out to have been a nazi all along was in poor taste. Also it got tied in with some of the “anti-sjw” stuff he randomly tossed into SamCap.

And even looking at it from a neutral story standpoint, nobody wanted another big year long crossover, and it was pretty much just a worse take on the Secret Warriors twist

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Injustices great because its not in continuity and has amazing character moments, and is frequently hilarious. They really aren't comparable in any way aside from the paragon of virtue becoming bad, and even then, Superman has an actual motivation for every terrible thing he does instead of "a magic rock did it." Which is odd since there's a ton of silver age comics where Superman becomes evil because of different colors of kryptonite.

And also a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Like I said, I don't think Secret Empire was some great story, it's got plot holes and some bad writing, but in a world where one of DC's best comics (Injustice) is based on the premise of "what if Superman was a fascist?", I don't think a story where Captain America becomes a Nazi is inherently wrong, so long as it's written well and makes a point to show us why it's wrong.

That's not the best example. Superman, a character who's story can be boiled down to, "Alien comes to Earth, adopts it as his home, creates peace through super strong punches" translates VERY easily to fascism. It's been done over and over again because it's such an easy take.

Captain America, a character created by Jewish dudes who literally punched Hitler in the face, just does not make sense as a Nazi. It's antithetical to his core. There's a reason why nobody painted Cap as a Nazi prior to Spencer.

Yes, I agree, a better writer probably could make that plot line work, but it's somebody much, MUCH more talented than Spencer could ever hope to be.