Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

docker is switching to alpine linux

alpine linux uses apk rather than dpkg/apt or rpm or whatever

why doesn't linux in general just use SysV packages and pkgadd?

they're moving docker-the-unprofitable-vc-funded-company-maintained images to alpine linux because the files aren't so big

docker people don't use package managers, they just stack up overlay images, which is basically a package manager but not

did sysv packages exist in 1995?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The sensible option would have been Intel's new distribution, but as they hired the Alpine author they're going with that distro instead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They might be the first person to even try to ship software using musl instead of glibc.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Gonna be a fun day when they realize that most software has an implicit dependency on glibc and glibc symbols and glibc behavior.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sysv packaging is either SVR3 or SVR4, i forget. svr4's first release was 1988.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

celeron 300a posted:

Much like 3D tvs, I have seen more and more laptops and desktops (the latter being all-in-one monitor cpu) with touchscreen interfaces. Case in point is Microsoft's Surface Pro which is actually doing quite well.

The thing is, I have never seen anyone actually use the touchscreen. People always use the keyboard and trackpad instead.

I bet stebe told timb that it would be ok to have huge ipads with styluses but if he ever made a touchscreen mbp then he would rise from his grave to kill him with his bare hands.

my observations:

for "detachables" like the surface people definitely use the touchscreen a lot more (than they do on other form factors)

for AIO desktop form factors, there turns out to be kind of a generational gap, i've seen kids use the touchscreen a lot more, whereas olds tend to stick to the mouse

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

since Linux is System V fanfic why doesn't it just support pkg_add?

licensing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

They might be the first person to even try to ship software using musl instead of glibc.

this only affects docker corp images

docker corp's software is all golang, so they barely care about libc anyway

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh, I thought it would change the official base image you fork from

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

that's my read of it too, although s/fork from/build on top of/

edit: and images plural, they provide images for java, golang, node, redis, mysql, mongo, and other trash nobody should use

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

you 'fork' from an empty image called scratch you goof

https://hub.docker.com/_/scratch/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
have literally none of you used docker

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

pram posted:

have literally none of you used docker

gently caress no why

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MrMoo posted:

The sensible option would have been Intel's new distribution, but as they hired the Alpine author they're going with that distro instead.

why would it be the 'sensible' option when this is obviously intended to be a container 'hypervisor' os

https://clearlinux.org/features/clear-containers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
the first two i looked at, redis and ruby, have -alpine versions

quote:

redis:alpine
This image is based on the popular Alpine Linux project, available in the alpine official image. Alpine Linux is much smaller than most distribution base images (~5MB), and thus leads to much slimmer images in general.

This variant is highly recommended when final image size being as small as possible is desired. The main caveat to note is that it does use musl libc instead of glibc and friends, so certain software might run into issues depending on the depth of their libc requirements. However, most software doesn't have an issue with this, so this variant is usually a very safe choice. See this Hacker News comment thread for more discussion of the issues that might arise and some pro/con comparisons of using Alpine-based images.

To minimize image size, it's uncommon for additional related tools (such as git or bash) to be included in Alpine-based images. Using this image as a base, add the things you need in your own Dockerfile (see the alpine image description for examples of how to install packages if you are unfamiliar).

same notes on both

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes obviously if docker is using alpine linux for their images, their images would be using alpine linux. thank you cocoa crispies. *pattes u on head*

and yet, almost none of these are. interesting huh

https://hub.docker.com/explore/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
like when i go to the ubuntu image. its based on scratch! wow. maybe they didnt get the memo that everything has to be forked from alpine

https://github.com/tianon/docker-brew-ubuntu-core/blob/e406914e5f648003dfe8329b512c30c9ad0d2f9c/xenial/Dockerfile#L1

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

why would it be the 'sensible' option when this is obviously intended to be a container 'hypervisor' os

https://clearlinux.org/features/clear-containers

If you are using Docker containers over VMs for performance then you might as well go for the speediest distribution which is Intel's Clear Linux.

Which is why Intel themselves are using rkt and Docker.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 6, 2016

pram
Jun 10, 2001
then it wouldnt be running IN a docker container would it you dumb bastard

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

like when i go to the ubuntu image. its based on scratch! wow. maybe they didnt get the memo that everything has to be forked from alpine

https://github.com/tianon/docker-brew-ubuntu-core/blob/e406914e5f648003dfe8329b512c30c9ad0d2f9c/xenial/Dockerfile#L1

for ubuntu they're not gonna base it on alpine, because ubuntu is already there

they only first announced they were "in the process of switching the Docker official image library from ubuntu to Alpine" a week ago, poo poo takes time and they don't want ot break stuff by doing it overnight

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:(

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

for ubuntu they're not gonna base it on alpine, because ubuntu is already there

they only first announced they were "in the process of switching the Docker official image library from ubuntu to Alpine" a week ago, poo poo takes time and they don't want ot break stuff by doing it overnight

theyre not going to base the ubuntu docker image on alpine? you think so?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

theyre not going to base the ubuntu docker image on alpine? you think so?

they do fedora and centos from scratch too

it doesn't make sense to put a distro image on top of another distro image since they'll just be spending more bytes on libcs and poo poo they're not using

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
someone here doesn't understand docker and it's not me

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hmm its like i said that

pram posted:

you 'fork' from an empty image called scratch you goof

https://hub.docker.com/_/scratch/

and that person is you

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my point is this. the peanut gallery seems to think this has an effect on how people use docker, which it doesnt. if your dockerfile is FROM ubuntu/debian/centos etc then its not using alpine. which means its still apt and yum. the only thing that is changing is the base for some utility images like langs, redis, and other single app containers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they're moving docker-the-unprofitable-vc-funded-company-maintained images to alpine linux because the files aren't so big

docker people don't use package managers, they just stack up overlay images, which is basically a package manager but not

you see, this is wrong. when people are building images for their artisanal wordpress they use ubuntu and include apt commands and such in their dockerfile. you are dumb, please stfu

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
2016 year of spergs gettin angry bout linux containers, but not on the desktop

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cocoa crispies believes you 'stack up overlay images' to create a container. which is not how it works, or what anyone does, or even possible. they actually just use apt like any regular linux distro

https://github.com/docker-library/mysql/blob/ed198ce2e8aa78613c615f20c5c4dd09fa450f66/5.7/Dockerfile#L13

it is because he is too lazy to have even tried docker period, he would have known this and that a switch to alpine has basically zero effect on anything or anyone other than the alpine admin who has a new job

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

nerds who make technology care about technology so they think other people also care about technology. but people only care about what you can do with it and how easy it is and most nerd things that fail, fail because nerds think they're not nerds but their perspective is the only one.

or they think their perspective is superior and in time everyone will see that and want an Open Source Phone that comes with awk, grep and apache2.

that's why Jobs succeeded and most nerds fail.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

cocoa crispies believes you 'stack up overlay images' to create a container. which is not how it works, or what anyone does, or even possible. they actually just use apt like any regular linux distro

https://github.com/docker-library/mysql/blob/ed198ce2e8aa78613c615f20c5c4dd09fa450f66/5.7/Dockerfile#L13

it is because he is too lazy to have even tried docker period, he would have known this and that a switch to alpine has basically zero effect on anything or anyone other than the alpine admin who has a new job

each one of those RUN / ENV lines creates a new overlay image, fyi

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

each one of those RUN / ENV lines creates a new overlay image, fyi

you dont import a redis overlay running alpine into your dockerfile

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you import one single image, at the top. FROM. the fact that each subsequent command is an overlay is irrelevant. your image is either based on scratch, alpine, ubuntu, or something else

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

you dont import a redis overlay running alpine into your dockerfile

no, you import it into your compose.yml

you pull the overlay running ruby/java/your language env of choice into your dockerfile

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and all the dockerfiles with debian at the top are based on. you guessed it. debian

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
pram are you restocking the soda fountain at work because you are grasping at straws p. hard here

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

no, you import it into your compose.yml

you pull the overlay running ruby/java/your language env of choice into your dockerfile

lol compose != making a docker image. that is multiple containers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

pram are you restocking the soda fountain at work because you are grasping at straws p. hard here

tell me how using compose to pull multiple 'overlays' equals a docker image

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you didnt know cocoa crispies, compose is a tool used for starting multiple CONTAINERS on a box, not configuring images. if you had three things in your compose file it would be three different images. i can tell you're probably scouring the docker docs right now but just save your time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am pretty sure most of us know the basics of using docker and only one person in here was ever like 'hey does this switch mean docker is based on alpine now??' which was a reasonable question but it obviously does not mean that

it's a decision that makes sense because basing docker containers on ubuntu is just incredibly dumb and not really the point of docker, but it probably helped them a lot with adoption because most people know apt and there for most people were easily able to start building images without starting from, well, scratch.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 6, 2016