Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

theshim posted:

A quick google search pops him up as recently as two months ago, so there's hope yet.

:unsmigghh:

And he is in top form, too. And by "top form" I mean, "saying the exact same things he always has, but even less coherently".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, I know this probably isn't kosher, but this was too loving funny not to post here:

Jrodefeld, July 5th, 2015 posted:

mdhess posted:

You can deflect all you want but you are only engaging in the same (prototypical) re-writing of history that libertarians always engage in. And, BTW, there you go again with your cndescension, asserting that you, a common anti-IRS fanatic, know history better than an accomplished historical author like Thom because you've been brainwashed by by the Von Mises crowd of quasi-intellectuals.

What poppycock. "Violent monopoly"?? You can move anywhere in the World you choose to. If you so sanctimoniously believe your ideology to be so much more moral and just and freeing then why can't you libertarians convince more than a smattering of people that such is the case?

Let's examine your last question first. Why would it be that libertarian ideas are not more popular? The primary reason should be quite obvious. The United States government has some manner of compulsory school attendence laws in every State. And who provides this education? Why, the State itself! Sure, if you are well off you can attend a private school. Or if your parents are especially dedicated, they can home school you. But the reality remains that the vast majority of Americans get their schooling in State-run institutions with curriculums that are largely politically motivated, especially when it comes to the social sciences, history and civics.

My contention is that the State is a moral abomination that ought to be abolished. Is it any wonder that an institution that holds so much sway over the minds of our children during their formative years is, surprise, teaching how indispensible the State is and how lost we would all be without it?

Liberalism used to be a commonly understood and appreciated political ideology but, following the Progressive Era and State involvement in schooling and the rise of the centralized media, liberalism waned as a dominent political ideology. It should be clear that the rise of State involvement in education is heavily correlated with positive views of the State itself.

Suppose Exxon Mobile ran all public schools. What do you suppose students would be taught about the need for environmental regulations and investment in alternative energy?

Statism is not winning because of the objective superiority of its ideas. It is winning largely due to the fact that a full debate with alternative viewpoints is hardly ever allowed.

You object to my referring to the State as a "violent monopoly"? Tell me what happens to me if I choose to not comply with a few government regulations? Say I want to open up a business without a license? If you admit that the police will use force to stop me, then you have conceded that the State initiates violence.

Suppose I want to create an alternative currency that will compete with Federal Reserve notes? If you admit that Federal agents will use force to stop me, then you have conceded that the State runs a monopoly on the provision of many services.

Thus, "violent monopoly" is entirely accurate as a description of the State.

- See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/07/politics-obscene-why-cant-we-relegate-statism-dustbin-history#.dpuf

Haha, hooooooly poo poo, this post. We need to get him back here. :allears:

-EDIT-

I won't bring any more offsite posting unless it's ok'd by a mod, but seriously this link is pro-loving-click

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 19, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Ok, I know this probably isn't kosher, but this was too loving funny not to post here:

Let's examine your last question first. Why would it be that libertarian ideas are not more popular? The primary reason should be quite obvious. The United States government has some manner of compulsory school attendence laws in every State. And who provides this education? Why, the State itself! Sure, if you are well off you can attend a private school. Or if your parents are especially dedicated, they can home school you. But the reality remains that the vast majority of Americans get their schooling in State-run institutions with curriculums that are largely politically motivated, especially when it comes to the social sciences, history and civics.

My contention is that the State is a moral abomination that ought to be abolished. Is it any wonder that an institution that holds so much sway over the minds of our children during their formative years is, surprise, teaching how indispensible the State is and how lost we would all be without it?

Liberalism used to be a commonly understood and appreciated political ideology but, following the Progressive Era and State involvement in schooling and the rise of the centralized media, liberalism waned as a dominent political ideology. It should be clear that the rise of State involvement in education is heavily correlated with positive views of the State itself.

Suppose Exxon Mobile ran all public schools. What do you suppose students would be taught about the need for environmental regulations and investment in alternative energy?

Statism is not winning because of the objective superiority of its ideas. It is winning largely due to the fact that a full debate with alternative viewpoints is hardly ever allowed.

You object to my referring to the State as a "violent monopoly"? Tell me what happens to me if I choose to not comply with a few government regulations? Say I want to open up a business without a license? If you admit that the police will use force to stop me, then you have conceded that the State initiates violence.

Suppose I want to create an alternative currency that will compete with Federal Reserve notes? If you admit that Federal agents will use force to stop me, then you have conceded that the State runs a monopoly on the provision of many services.

Thus, "violent monopoly" is entirely accurate as a description of the State.

- See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/07/politics-obscene-why-cant-we-relegate-statism-dustbin-history#.dpuf

Haha, hooooooly poo poo, this post. We need to get him back here. :allears:
[/quote]

Agh Christ. That hits the spot.

Caros
May 14, 2008

quote:

As this political season gets underway, I am dismayed at what I am seeing. For the sake of human progress, we must cease our faith in political authority and stand on firm moral principles.

Personally I am a market anarchist, otherwise known as a voluntarist. It is morally obscene for any individual or group of individuals to initiate force against any peaceful person. There is an anarchist commentator named Larken Rose who offered five questions as a challenge to the Statist mentality. These questions are reprinted below:

We know who he is but you know for a fact he'd still open up with something like this if he came back and opened up a new thread. Oh to feel so naive about his intentions again.

quote:

1) Is there any means by which any number of individuals can delegate to someone else the moral right to do something which none of the individuals have the moral right to do themselves?

Yes.

quote:

2) Do those who wield political power (presidents, legislators, etc.) have the moral right to do things which other people do not have the moral right to do? If so, from whom and how did they acquire such a right?

Yes. From everyone, by consensus.

quote:

3) Is there any process (e.g., constitutions, elections, legislation) by which human beings can transform an immoral act into a moral act (without changing the act itself)?

Yes. See: Combat.

quote:

4) When law-makers and law-enforcers use coercion and force in the name of law and government, do they bear the same responsibility for their actions that anyone else would who did the same thing on his own?

No. If they did then all police would be kidnappers.

quote:

5) When there is a conflict between an individual's own moral conscience, and the commands of a political authority, is the individual morally obligated to do what he personally views as wrong in order to "obey the law"?

Yes and no. If one wants to obey the law one is by definition required to obey the law. That said there are plenty of instances of people challenging what they see as unjust laws by violating them in the hope that the violation and the treatment they recieve as a result will spark civil discussion ultimately leading to a change in said laws.

quote:

In my view the State as an institution must be abolished because it can never be morally justified. The issue is with consent. No State can ever have the consent of the people they rule. For authority to be legitimate, the people being subject to that rule must have fully consented.

Such is the case with a voluntary club or social order that spontaneously forms. Every person is free to enter and leave any such institution and only when they voluntarily participate in the system are they subject to the rules determined by such a voluntary authority.

Here we see our first example of Jrodefeld's patented wtf doublespeak. No State can ever have the consent of the people they rule. Period, end of sentence. Now clubs and social orders, those we could totally have because they are voluntary and spontaneous and subject to rules determined by voluntary authority. You're even allowed to leave!

If that sounds exactly like a modern state then clearly you must be misunderstanding his difficult genius.

quote:

Under any State system, the ruling political faction has the legal right to forcefully dominate those who expressly did NOT grant consent. They enact political policies funded through coercive taxation that a substantial number of people subject to that rule find morally repugnant.

By substantial he means at best five percent. The other 95% of americans agree with the statement "It is every American's civic duty to pay their fair share of taxes." Keep in mind that disagreeing with that statement doesn't mean that you automatically go into la la libertarian land, but that you could in fact just be an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

Furthermore it is illogical, as Larken Rose points out in his five questions. People can only delegate rights to a third party to act on their behalf if they have the right to do those things themselves. For example, I am free to voluntarily delegate the right to self defense to a defense agency who will defend my life and property along with a voluntarily participating community. Each member of a community has the right of self defense so they can collectively delegate that right to a defense agency.

However, no person in a community has the right to forcefully steal the property of their neighbor in order to fund their idea of defense. Therefore they cannot delegate the right to forceful taxation to a political authority.

This is something I see a lot. I like to call it Socratic Libertarianism and I'm surprised it hasn't come up in the thread before now when I forcefully make you poor bastards aware of it.

Jrodefeld argues it pretty well (for what its worth) here and above. I have the right to defend myself. I have the right to defend myself by paying someone else to do it for me. But I don't have the right to go to your house and steal your watch to pay my bouncer to keep me safe. The argument here is that since I don't have the right to steal (collect taxes) it isn't one I can give to someone else to do for me. Socratic Libertarianism is basically asking these questions with a pseudo socratic fashion. I say pseudo-socratic because in reality what they are actually doing is asking questions in the form of a pedantic child. Why? *Gives a list of reasons* Why? *More reasons* Why? etc.

Now there are really two ways to argue against this. The first if my favorite that I'll let Bernie Sanders explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBIKP4W50-I

Bernie himself can barely get through dealing with this obnoxious gently caress but the gist of it is that individuals can grant rights that none of them individually have because rights are a convenient social fiction. You have no "Right" to life. There is no universal thing that gives you a right to live, instead we have a societal agreement to not kill the gently caress out of one another. Since rights are in reality just a social agreement there is nothing stopping us from collectively socially agreeing that certain people or organizations can do things that others cannot. This is basically what a corporation is for example, a legal fiction given form by communal agreement.

A second way to argue your point is to bring up the reality that his premise is false. He argues that he can give his right to self defence to someone else to which I respond "Why"? If he is too much of a pussy to defend himself I don't agree that he should be able to grant his right to self defence to a third party. I don't have any beef with that third party so why should that person be allowed to aggress against me?!

There is of course a rare and mythological third way of dealing with this argument, which is to bitchslap the loving retard upside his head, but I've yet to see it in practice. :(

quote:

The belief in political authority is a barbaric relic that ought to be relegated to the dustbin of history along with the other grossly offensive institutions such as slavery and human sacrifice. Civilized people came to the realization that chattel slavery was a moral abomination yet these people continue to believe that they have the right to point the guns of the State at their neighbor to compel them to act as they would have them act.

Hey, remember when you guys talked about how Jrodefeld could make his point with 50% less words? Well look at this pointless loving emotional statement!

quote:

It is about time that we reassert moral consistency and affirm that coercion is a moral abomination that is not fit for civilized people. Cultured, decent people choose voluntary interactions and persuasion to achieve their shared objectives. Barbarians and sociopaths choose the initiation of violence to achieve their goals.

And this one too! Especially in light of the fact that he has to know by now that the majority of people disagree with him on the issue of taxes being coercion or violence!

quote:

I don't mean to be offend by implying that you all (who defend the State) are sociopaths and savages, but my patience grows thin. You must understand the practical implications of that commonly stated phrase "there should be a law". What that means is that if people act in a manner that displeases you, you will unleash the violence of the State on those persons. For the most innocuous offense, it may begin with a threatening letter and a fine. But if the person resists, the coercion will soon escalate. The person who violates your opinion on how they ought to act will be taken from their friends and family and thrown in a cage where, statistically, they are likely to be repeatedly raped.

I don't meaaaaan to call you sociopaths and savages, but my patience is so thin with all of you sociopaths and savages.

Also we have here one of the most disingenuous arguments of the libertarian! The good old "If you don't pay your traffic tickets it's rape cages for you!"

quote:

If a person resists further, an agent of State oppression can kill them on the spot. As the rise in police brutality persists, granting the pigs even more justification to kill civilians is, to say the least, extremely unwise.

Wow, did he just actually call police "Pigs"? Guys... I'm getting scared for Jrodefeld. He appears to be going off the deep end even further. :ohdear:

quote:

This is such a depressing time of year for me. People get so worked up over which sociopathic thug will coercively dominate them "better" than the other.

This is a depressing time of the year because the majority of people who disagree with me actually want to engage in democratic processes which remind me that my weird cult ideology will never fly in reality.

Shouldn't we eventually break this cycle and affirm that the initiation of force against others is morally indefensible and the State therefore cannot be legitimate?[/quote]

And in true Jrod fashion he ends by begging the question. Come back jrodefeld, we miss you. I won't even ask you about the watermelon!

Edit:

quote:

I won't bring any more offsite posting unless it's ok'd by a mod, but seriously this link is pro-loving-click

I'd say you're probably okay. I mean this is the Jrod quarantine zone and its the first click off google. It isn't like you are posting his facebook status updates, and you know he'd post that exact thing here if we wouldn't just make fun of him.

Caros fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 19, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Please don't respond to jrod itt unless he actually posts here

Like I get that we all want to make fun of him and refute his childish arguments, but posting a response here to a thread from a whole different forum is crazy on the same level as the libertarians that we mock.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In other words THIS VESSEL DOES NOT CONSENT TO JOINDER WITH THE ENTITY KNOWN AS **J** OF THE FAMILY **ROD**, PLEASE DIRECT ALL FURTHER INQUIRIES TO THE PROPER AUTHORITY OF ADMIRALITY WITHOUT NONPEACEFUL TRANSGRESSION

Caros
May 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Please don't respond to jrod itt unless he actually posts here

Like I get that we all want to make fun of him and refute his childish arguments, but posting a response here to a thread from a whole different forum is crazy on the same level as the libertarians that we mock.

I wouldn't have at all but my wife was late driving home on super lovely roads and I needed a way to pass the time so I didn't get all nervous and panicked. :ohdear:

She's fine tho! :unsmith:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think you need a better hobby

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

I wouldn't have at all but my wife was late driving home on super lovely roads and I needed a way to pass the time so I didn't get all nervous and panicked. :ohdear:

She's fine tho! :unsmith:

Did you show her what you were doing, to teach her never to be late again?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Wait, didn't JROD post that same exact argument in this thread at some point?

I mean the man really doesn't have a wide repertoire.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I did actually! She just looked at me oddly.

QuarkJets posted:

I think you need a better hobby

I'm an inertial creature. I don't like to start something unless I can finish it in one sitting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Please don't advocating abusing a spouse by exposing them to Jrod. That's just inhumane.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Caros, like an addict, could not resist the sweet siren call of just one more line of uncut, purestrain Liberty.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wait, didn't JROD post that same exact argument in this thread at some point?

I mean the man really doesn't have a wide repertoire.

Yeah, any time he got tired of getting his rear end beat on specific policy questions, he'd fall back to that basic "state=law enforcement, law enforcement=violence, violence=bad, state=bad" thing. And then we'd start actually digging into his definitions and declarations, and suddenly he'd want to talk about something else entirely!

Rhjamiz posted:

Caros, like an addict, could not resist the sweet siren call of just one more line of uncut, purestrain Liberty.

I can't deny I've checked r/anarcho_capitalism once or twice to get my fix. But gently caress that, it's like jumping from the occasional joint straight to downing fistfuls of benzos.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

*Visibly shaking* I just... man I can stop if I want to I.... hey have you talked to any an-caps lately?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Caros posted:

*Visibly shaking* I just... man I can stop if I want to I.... hey have you talked to any an-caps lately?

You need to get your time preferences in check.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Nolanar posted:

Yeah, any time he got tired of getting his rear end beat on specific policy questions, he'd fall back to that basic "state=law enforcement, law enforcement=violence, violence=bad, state=bad" thing. And then we'd start actually digging into his definitions and declarations, and suddenly he'd want to talk about something else entirely!

Now I don't want to talk about racism, but

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Caros posted:

*Steps suspiciously out of nearby alleyway*

Hey.
Buddy.
You lookin' for something? A little poorly-reasoned argument for racial hygiene based in equal parts on misunderstood 19th century economics and perfectly understood 20th century fascism? I got what you need.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Hey Caros, don't listen to Captain, man. You want libertarianism, come to me, I'll hook you up. Bitcoins, voluntary debtor's prisons, you name it.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Captain_Maclaine posted:

*Steps suspiciously out of nearby alleyway*

Hey.
Buddy.
You lookin' for something? A little poorly-reasoned argument for racial hygiene based in equal parts on misunderstood 19th century economics and perfectly understood 20th century fascism? I got what you need.

The first dose is, over the authors' protests, free.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nolanar posted:

Hey Caros, don't listen to Captain, man. You want libertarianism, come to me, I'll hook you up. Bitcoins, voluntary debtor's prisons, you name it.
I'm disconnecting your internet.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

I will not tolerate such clear aggression against my peaceful operation in the marketplace; expect to hear from my good friends over at Valhalla DRO shortly. Largely as they tend to scream a lot once they go into their battle frenzy.

Karia posted:

The first dose is, over the authors' protests, free.

:golfclap:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
i forget did jrod ever state his opinion on IP laws?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I will not tolerate such clear aggression against my peaceful operation in the marketplace; expect to hear from my good friends over at Valhalla DRO shortly. Largely as they tend to scream a lot once they go into their battle frenzy.

I'm up to date on my Valhalla membership fees too, so that means we need to settle this internally. Trial by combat! The finest in nonviolent dispute resolution. :black101:

paragon1 posted:

Either he or one of his idols expressed a blanket opposition to IP as a concept, if I remember right. We made fun of him for it a bunch.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nolanar posted:

I'm up to date on my Valhalla membership fees too, so that means we need to settle this internally. Trial by combat! The finest in nonviolent dispute resolution. :black101:

Thank heavens we live in such an enlightened time where barbaric state actors can no longer impinge upon our freedom to resolve disputes on our own with such outmoded, oppressive concepts like "rule of law," "trial by peers," and "not being loving slavering barbarians whenever we feel like it."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

You can't, like, own ideas, man. Not being able to steal concepts and designs totally stifles innovation because once someone invents something he has no reason to ever invent anything else.

greengreen
Oct 25, 2007
Green
Out of interest, hypothetically, if society were significantly more equal in every way with complete racial/gender/religious etc parity and significantly more wealth equality would libertarianism be an acceptable philosophy to practice? I understand that this depicts a utopia and will likely never occur but would the opponents of libertarianism feel that it would be a more humane and feasible system?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

paragon1 posted:

A libertarian's support for IP laws is directly correlated with their ability to come up with an original thought.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

greengreen posted:

Out of interest, hypothetically, if society were significantly more equal in every way with complete racial/gender/religious etc parity and significantly more wealth equality would libertarianism be an acceptable philosophy to practice? I understand that this depicts a utopia and will likely never occur but would the opponents of libertarianism feel that it would be a more humane and feasible system?

The best you could ever do with Libertarianism is making everyone have an equal shot at competing with eachother for exactly one generation. After that, the kids of the richer people will start getting better education and benefits than the kids of the poorer people, and then we're slowly slipping back into "the rich get richer, the poor get poorer". At that point to keep everyone on a level playing field, you'd need a totally nationalized educational system, some sort of program to prevent wealthier parents from using business contacts to help their kids get job offers, etc.

That's not even getting into questions like what happens to someone who is born with a condition that prevents them from working (or even leaves them able to work but requiring medicine/therapy for their entire life), what prevents sexism/racism/religious bigotry from coming back (I'd argue a Libertarian society would be a breeding ground for bigotry even if the society that created it was initially egalitarian), what could this society do to protect itself from external threats (I'd argue a Libertarian society does not naturally lend itself to creating well funded standing armies), etc.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

greengreen posted:

Depending on exactly what you're asking there's two ways to answer that. If you're proposing a society that is always kept equal regardless of what happens, the answer is plausibly yes. If you're asking about a society which starts out equally and can go which ever way (like societies can in the real world) then the answer is no, because a lack of regulation will throw things out of whack really quick.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

greengreen posted:

How could wealth equality and libertarianism coexist when we know wealth tends to accumulate in smaller and smaller numbers of hands under a laissez-faire system?

And what kind of libertarianism do you mean, ancapism? There will always be indingent people with mental issues that prevent them from holding a job and functioning in society, there will always be orphans if only because their parents died in an accident, whom it would be totally legal to rape and murder if police protection is strictly for hire only, that doesn't sound like a humane or feasible system to me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buried alive posted:

Depending on exactly what you're asking there's two ways to answer that. If you're proposing a society that is always kept equal regardless of what happens, the answer is plausibly yes. If you're asking about a society which starts out equally and can go which ever way (like societies can in the real world) then the answer is no, because a lack of regulation will throw things out of whack really quick.

Even then, it still wouldn't be. The reason (and also the reason why I have an issue with people who only focus on trying to create equal opportunity) is that society requires the people at the bottom to function and, as a result, those people will always exist. Even if it was 100% fair and perfectly organized with the most intelligent/hard-working people doing the best jobs, you'd still have a large portion of the population living in poverty. That just isn't acceptable (to any reasonable human being).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

greengreen posted:

Libertarianism is fundamentally based on the idea that a human's life is only worth what that human is able to earn--the only real freedom it guarantees is the freedom to protect property you already own. If such a utopian equilibrium were to somehow exist, there is absolutely no reason to believe that it would exist for any long period of time, until the mean-spirited, greedy, and sociopathic began to creep back into economic power, and the disadvantaged slipped out of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The biggest issue is that libertarians always assume that every penny of income somebody gets is earned by them and them alone. Which, of course, completely ignores how the world actually works and silly things like the children of very rich people using that money to rig the game in their own favor then passing it along to their children.

The groups that vomit most of the libertarian thoughts, or the "proof" that libertarianism is 100% right, are often funded largely by very rich people but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It might work if it went like this:

1) No inheritance. Each person's property goes in a community pool upon their death.
2) We use some of the money from the pool to educate and care for children until they reach the age of majority, with all children getting the same quality education and care.
3) Each newly-minted adult receives a modest sum of money from the pool - an "inheritance" - that they can use to start their futures.
4) Retired people and people with disabilities get social security if they don't have enough savings to live on.

So pretty much a welfare state, but the only tax you pay is a 100% inheritance tax.

E: And most people will probably dodge that tax by giving all their property away to their friends and loved ones just before they die. Oh well.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 20, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pththya-lyi posted:

1) No inheritance. Each person's property goes in a community pool upon their death.
2) We use some of the money from the pool to educate and care for children until they reach the age of majority, with all children getting the same quality education and care.
3) Each newly-minted adult receives a modest sum of money from the pool - an "inheritance" - that they can use to start their futures.
4) Retired people and people with disabilities get social security if they don't have enough savings to live on.

So pretty much a welfare state, but the only tax you pay is a 100% inheritance tax.

E: And most people will probably dodge that tax by giving all their property away to their friends and loved ones just before they die.

I wholeheartedly agree that libertarianism would work if all meaningful elements of libertarianism were eliminated

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

E: And most people will probably dodge that tax by giving all their property away to their friends and loved ones just before they die. Oh well.

That's what gift taxes are for

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

You don't even need inequality for Libertarianism to be broken. There are a ton of services that the government provides that require a non-commercial entity to do well (food inspection, medical standards, basic research) and there are many cases of coordination problems where any solution ends up looking like government (environmental protection, fishing limits).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Pththya-lyi posted:

Excuse me, taxation is theft.

(I brought up a similar line of argument with a libertarian once, and that's what he said.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pththya-lyi posted:

Then your entire state gets bought out by Target, instant generational indentured servitude.

*feral Target associate swings down from shelves* "U lukken towels, ha? Ee-on git-git aisle 7!"