Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

jadebullet posted:

Question about battleships. Due to the long reload time, should I just be loading AP at the start? Recently I have been sticking with HE and switching when I get closer, mainly because of the dispersion, but I am not sure if that is the best tactic. Cruisers are far simpler to plan your rounds on.

I always load AP as soon as the round begins and pretty much never switch. HE should be used against DD but for me with the long load times I only go HE when I absolutely know that theres a DD and nothing else around. I'd rather fire AP and do some damage even if its over pen than to switch to HE and wait the 30 seconds because by the time that loads he's probably popped smoke or run around an island and I no longer can see him and now I'm stuck with HE loaded. Ideally you should have a cruiser nearby who will prioritize a DD that shows its face near you, but pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DurosKlav posted:

You need to learn to use AP and citadel. Cleveland is a cool ship and all, but I feel it teaches cruiser captains some very bad habits. Mainly HE spamming and not angling their ship properly because of the Clevelands good armor and hard to hit citadels. Once you hit the Pensacola you're going to have a longer reload time and I dont know if it has less armor or its just that the citadel goes back to being in the usual location for a cruiser so its easier to citadel.

EDIT: Removed HE rant, as its stupid to tell him to use AP and then rant about how broken HE is at the moment. You really should learn to use AP though because hopefully they'll be nerfing HE soon and you dont want to be caught with your pants down like all the other cruiser players will.

Cruiser AP against cruisers is ruinous even now. If they go flat once it's half their health off.

Markariel
Dec 10, 2013
http://imgur.com/RBbvfFX

:agesilaus:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

xthetenth posted:

Cruiser AP against cruisers is ruinous even now. If they go flat once it's half their health off.

Problem is right now HE does too much without any real effort involved. It has good damage on top of good chance of starting fires which last forever as well as disable modules like your guns. AP needs all sorts of things to come together to do good damage. HE is jack of all trades master of all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I find a lot of my individual HE hits do 0 damage, though.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

I find a lot of my individual HE hits do 0 damage, though.

That's probably because the superstructure ran out of HP. This can easily happen with BBs, if they survive to go through some repairs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That's probably because the superstructure ran out of HP. This can easily happen with BBs, if they survive to go through some repairs.

It seems to happen a lot against cruisers and things, too, though. How does HE damage work, exactly? I know about the penetrations on AP doing .1, .33, or 1.00x damage.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

It seems to happen a lot against cruisers and things, too, though. How does HE damage work, exactly? I know about the penetrations on AP doing .1, .33, or 1.00x damage.

HE damage gets multiplied by some facor, it seems to also depend on armor. But when a section is reduced in HP, HE will start to do less and less damage. So you'd be well adviced to spread the damage across all sections of a ship. If a section turns black, any HE damage will be zeroed out. Only fires will continue to apply damage in that section.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So quick question. I was looking at the first Kongo hull and I didn't see any torpedo tubes. Shouldn't it have 8 underwater tubes?

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

jadebullet posted:

So quick question. I was looking at the first Kongo hull and I didn't see any torpedo tubes. Shouldn't it have 8 underwater tubes?

I think I remember reading that on its wiki page. No ships in WoWs currently have fixed tubes, as far as I know.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

jadebullet posted:

The only battleship with torpedoes in game is the Tirpitz and I doubt we'll really be seeing them on any other BB for awhile if ever.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Anyone mind posting a picture showing where to shoot to citadel Clevelands? I'm grinding Fuso right now and they're infuriating given how often I hit for 1000 damage/shell with center of hull hits.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jadebullet posted:

The Kongos lost their torps during the 1933/34 reconstructions.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I wasn't sure what rebuild the Kongo was. Kind of a shame that we can't get the battlecruiser version of it. I mean, they would probably cite naming conventions, but they could easily throw in a sister ship instead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Night10194 posted:

HE shells can still bounce off belt armor if they hit low enough it's just that they have an AoE, so if they hit high enough on it they can still splash over onto actual deck or superstructure. So all those zero damage hits are just those that failed to penetrate the armor, which is most of them since HE has bad penetration, and didn't hit high enough for part of the splash to get around it.

jadebullet posted:

Most of the battleships in this game had underwater tubes at some point in their lifetime. Even Nagato did at one point, and that's all the way up at Tier 7. Wargaming has interpreted their "No torpedoes on battleships" comment to mean that they will not be adding underwater tubes to the game - ever. Given they were generally an incredibly finicky system to use, this is probably just as well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
They seem to have been a pretty bad idea in real life as well, since they were pretty inflexible and didn't really fit with the battleship role. It looks like most were retrofitted out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

jadebullet posted:

They seem to have been a pretty bad idea in real life as well, since they were pretty inflexible and didn't really fit with the battleship role. It looks like most were retrofitted out.

Lack of flexibility wasn't a problem because gyros are a thing, but their range never caught up with gunnery range and they didn't get use disrupting battle lines. Meanwhile it became more and more clear they were a pretty big weakness.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lord Koth posted:

HE shells can still bounce off belt armor if they hit low enough it's just that they have an AoE, so if they hit high enough on it they can still splash over onto actual deck or superstructure. So all those zero damage hits are just those that failed to penetrate the armor, which is most of them since HE has bad penetration, and didn't hit high enough for part of the splash to get around it.

You know, I think this is the mistake I'm making and I'm aiming too low.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

HE works exactly the same way AP does, it just has a very short fuse upon hitting armor, and will explode on basically any contact with a ship, so it can virtually never overpen. Bounces and fail to penetrates will do 0 damage, but all HE hits have a chance of causing fire, and their large explosion radius means they can catch modules, even if they bounce, dealing some damage. But for HE to actually do damage, it has to penetrate superstructure or the deck, however slightly that it may. Hitting superstructure or other unarmored parts of the ship, however, is INCREDIBLY easy. Shooting at belt or even side armor will likely net you a bunch of bounces for 0 damage.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
So, the Tirpitz is pretty loving fantastic. The aa is alittle weak but it feels like a more agile Iowa. I've been playing it half the day and have been dunking on just about everything, including torpedoing dds and t9 battleships.
:lol:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Velius posted:

Anyone mind posting a picture showing where to shoot to citadel Clevelands? I'm grinding Fuso right now and they're infuriating given how often I hit for 1000 damage/shell with center of hull hits.

I don't have the pic handy, but there's two smaller citadels, and they basically go diagonally down forward and rear of the smokestacks. Just aim slightly more ahead or slightly more behind, they're small to the point that you're not going to be able to precisely hit them anyway.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Michi88 posted:

So, the Tirpitz is pretty loving fantastic. The aa is alittle weak but it feels like a more agile Iowa. I've been playing it half the day and have been dunking on just about everything, including torpedoing dds and t9 battleships.

Where did you get a Tirpitz from? Is it available on NA now?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michi88 posted:

On the NA server? Yeah the Tirpitz seems pretty drat good.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

DurosKlav posted:

Where did you get a Tirpitz from? Is it available on NA now?

wdarkk posted:

On the NA server? Yeah the Tirpitz seems pretty drat good.

Won it on a stream, its buyable 17th.
It honestly feels like a more agile iowa, the reload and ACC of the guns makes up for there being less of them, they pen like a motherfucker and the ship can juke hard and fast.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Michi88 posted:

Won it on a stream, its buyable 17th.
It honestly feels like a more agile iowa, the reload and ACC of the guns makes up for there being less of them, they pen like a motherfucker and the ship can juke hard and fast.

Lucky dog. I really want one but there is 0 chance I'm going to spend $40+ for a single ship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Not particularly looking forward to playing my Amagi when the Tirpitz comes out.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
I've been citadeling the t9 Japanese BB through the nose, the penetration on the guns is insane, they have a good trajectory and get there fast.
As far as the premium side goes, with exp flags I've been averaging 5k exp and around 500k credits, the cost of a full repair and the better consumable replacement comes out to about 90k.
I just wish they would let you switch the spotting plane for a fighter to combat the AA, but i have yet to be killed by planes, it can juke pretty hard to avoid torps, and my friend has been running their NC / Cruisers and doing aa / support. They love it, last game they got around 40 plane kills following me while i got 12.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 11, 2015

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

So the Gun upgrade on the Cleveland, yay or nay?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Vivick posted:

So the Gun upgrade on the Cleveland, yay or nay?

Yes.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
The gun upgrade trades turret rotation time for an increase in ROF. 180 degree rotate time goes from 22 seconds to 33, while ROF goes from 6 shots/minute to 7.5 (10 secs to 8 secs).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You can spend 2 points on turret turn rate which greatly improves turret turn rate. Gotta track those DD.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

MREBoy posted:

The gun upgrade trades turret rotation time for an increase in ROF. 180 degree rotate time goes from 22 seconds to 33, while ROF goes from 6 shots/minute to 7.5 (10 secs to 8 secs).

I'm going to be slightly contrary and say I'd almost want my guns in place 11 seconds sooner than have 2 seconds quicker on a reload. I'm sure someone will math it out and prove me wrong though. It could also be a result of doing the Japanese cruiser line. and wishing my turrets would turn quicker. I'm terrible at theorycrafting in games so I rely on you guys to set me straight if I'm wrong on that sort of thing. Math and I arent on speaking terms.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 11, 2015

Markariel
Dec 10, 2013
If you are constantly turning your guns 180 degrees on a cleveland, you are doing it wrong. Get the gun upgrade.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Dont know about turret traverse and all but ROF increase increases you DPM by 25% and that seems pretty significant.

Markariel
Dec 10, 2013

Michi88 posted:

It also helps it has one of the most massive armor belts in existence in the game.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/838-germanys-battleship-tirpitz/page__pid__18103#entry18103

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/23447-german-ship-stats/

I lost the pictures to all of them. Basically someone used a 3dmodel program and posted it all.

Markariel
Dec 10, 2013

Lady Morgaga posted:

Dont know about turret traverse and all but ROF increase increases you DPM by 25% and that seems pretty significant.

Yup plus you have captain skills to get a better turning rate again AND faster reloading. My cruisers captains are close to being maxed out, my cleveland almost shoots as fast and as far as the atlanta :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Having turret traverse skill upgrade on Cleveland will reduce 180 degree rotation time to 22.63 seconds. Therefore upgrading gun on Cleveland is absolutely recommended.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Markariel posted:

Yup plus you have captain skills to get a better turning rate again AND faster reloading. My cruisers captains are close to being maxed out, my cleveland almost shoots as fast and as far as the atlanta :v:

There is no situation where the atlanta has more range than the cleveland.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

Michi88 posted:

Honestly, 'm trying to grind through the New Orleans right now and the EU server is just match after match where I just know I'm gonna lose because I have a bunch of Tirpitzes on my team. More so if the other team has North Carolinas or Amagis mixed up with them. Tirpitz pubbies think they got an invincible solo death machine that can ignore cap points or incoming torpedo bombers entirely. My ~win rate~ :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DurosKlav posted:

You need to learn to use AP and citadel. Cleveland is a cool ship and all, but I feel it teaches cruiser captains some very bad habits. Mainly HE spamming and not angling their ship properly because of the Clevelands good armor and hard to hit citadels. Once you hit the Pensacola you're going to have a longer reload time and I dont know if it has less armor or its just that the citadel goes back to being in the usual location for a cruiser so its easier to citadel.

EDIT: Removed HE rant, as its stupid to tell him to use AP and then rant about how broken HE is at the moment. You really should learn to use AP though because hopefully they'll be nerfing HE soon and you dont want to be caught with your pants down like all the other cruiser players will.

The problem is that the Cleveland really is over performing in just about every way. I've had Clevelands bounce Colorado AP that , in the least, should have been through and through shots. I have an easier time penning BBs than Clevelands.

That being said, did you really recommend angling on a PepsiCola? That's kinda funny because it really doesn't matter one bit. So far my experience has been that anything/everything pens you from every angle. Sort of like a reverse Cleveland, in such that the entire drat ship is made of Citadel. It's a decent ship capable of putting really nice, tight clusters down range. I've gotten some really sweet through the deck pens on BBs, including a very surprised Iowa.