Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Elendil004 posted:

You know what I loving love? Separatists from another nation, who are of a nation I peacefully vassalized and annexed, crossing into my borders and creating separatism. Look if my country's unrest is 0, stop at the loving border. Especially because you get no warning (you get a cross border message, but no ticking faction so you can prepare).

Literally Turkey re: Iraqi and Syrian Kurds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

No specific ones, just the generics for rivals and such. Ottos are manageable, and beatable.

Node posted:

Pretty sure they don't get a mission that puts claims on default Shirvan. They're still going to kill you anyways.
I love the difference in opinions :v:

I really dont think I am cut out for Ironman. I just declared war on OPM Ryazan. Poland+Lithuania immediately allies them and joins the war, shoving 75,000 soldiers down my throat within weeks. I nearly burst a blood vessel I am so loving annoyed. It pisses me off so much that I am now forced to fight a 10 year war against a stubborn and stupid AI that I could not surrender to if I wanted to. I cannot hit a "I surrender 100% warscore to you, take what you want". I HAVE TO let the siege me down and wreck my country. And the whole time it is going on the rest of Europe just twiddles their thumbs while Poland is invested in fighting a war TWO THOUSAND MILES AWAY.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bort Bortles posted:

I just assume everyone is going to kill me, even Ulm or Ryukyu.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
No one ever posts random nation screenshots. It's cool and good.

Random Rome is carving out quite an empire all on it's own without me.

I'm a little exasperated that Toledo has three idea sets and none are exploration. I'm already well on the way to locking up Africa.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Dibujante posted:

Oh hey, an essay on why I don't play goon multiplayer anymore. The real problem here is the attitude that you (the player) are a bad person because you (the country) broke an alliance. Everyone's so adamant about in-game conduct meaning real-life consequences.

Nah, it ain't anything like that. I am not holding any grudges from last game, and even people I screwed on a grand scale last game are not holding any against me. I like everyone in the game and have no reason to dislike them, and have even gone to apologise to people if I feel like I did something really wrong. Ain't into the tears of pain style of play. But you can't deny that breaking an alliance exclusively to take land from your greatest ally is a bit much in one game, and certainly will destroy your trust with a wide net of people. None of my issues with VCs are player based. They are all mechanical and design based, and can only really be addressed through systems.

cool and good posted:

No MP score system is going to appeal to everyone. That doesn't really make a system bad in itself. If you don't want to use score to decide a victor, you can turn them off.

I hope this post is up to your standards and I don't get snarked at, that would be sad.

We aren't saying it must appeal to everyone. What we are saying is that with victory cards we are seeing something wider that can be made, something that can appeal to more instead of some. It will never appeal to everyone. I genuinely think positive change can be made to score and victory cards to make them something even more players can interact and engage with. Score got massively improved with the addition of victory cards, but what I am saying is that it can be improved even more with a few more changes. Last game we had a great Venice built on very well maintained trade agreements and node maximising. They made thousands, far more than I even knew was possible to make off of trade, funding huge war alliances on their own. While the game cannot recognise and reward their efforts in funding those wars, it can recognise a players ability to competitively interact with systems like trade to make that money in the first place. I think that player should have been rewarded with score for excelling at that. Naturally victory cards did not exist for that game, but even now that would not be something that they could be rewarded for and I think it is a shame. It would allow differing playstyles which do not really have chances to interact much an opportunity to compete. Right now score is the game of the Ottomans, the Prussias, Russias and Frances of the world. If you expand the VC system out a little to incorporate traders and colonisers or other styles of play, you can get many more nations into there competing over that score, with your Portugals, Venices, even Moroccos. Right now those types of nations have a hard time getting onto that leaderboard and sticking it out because they are not land powers and will have a hard time convincing people to back them up.

Basically what Kharaa and me are saying is that groundwork for something more with score has been laid down now with VCs, and I really hope that is not the end of the work being done there. There is potential for a very good scoring system in it if you could find a way to get more players into it by accepting that blobbing is not the only way to win. Right now it is kinda eh, but it can be pretty drat good if it is just expanded on into a more fully formed system. Some of the people in the game and me (Kharaa included) spent a while in our gamechat and we all agree that VCs are a good idea. But we also agree that they are the beginning to something which could be an even better idea.

Likewise, you can say "ignore score", but the second you run into players who are playing for score then you have to adjust your strategy to account for them. As a player, you have to understand that if they get a card on you, then they are coming for you even if you are not playing for score yourself. You kind of can't ignore it once it is on the playing field. So, instead of turning it off and burning the players who do want score, instead what could be done is just further improvement to the score and VC system to get more players into a position where they can interact with score in a greater way. VCs are one of the cooler things implemented in the last patch, but it could go so much further and do so much more for MP dynamics rather than just break up alliances.

Europa Universalis IV - I Lost My V-Card Over Constantinople

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 18, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Achievements where you just have to wait in the beginning are so awfully boring. Lucky Lucca is one of those. There is nothing to do until a neighboring state becomes vulnerable. PLEASE DO SOMETHING FERARRA

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Fintilgin posted:

I'm a little exasperated that Toledo has three idea sets and none are exploration. I'm already well on the way to locking up Africa.

That is an excellent map, who's controlling the HRE and how much of that map is your fault if not Random Rome?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'll get a shot when I fire it up again, but in my game it's 1630ish and the livonian order has most of sweden and a large chunk of muscovy.

Fintilgin posted:

What happened to France? Where's France? I need an adult.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bort Bortles posted:

I really dont think I am cut out for Ironman. I just declared war on OPM Ryazan. Poland+Lithuania immediately allies them and joins the war, shoving 75,000 soldiers down my throat within weeks. I nearly burst a blood vessel I am so loving annoyed. It pisses me off so much that I am now forced to fight a 10 year war against a stubborn and stupid AI that I could not surrender to if I wanted to. I cannot hit a "I surrender 100% warscore to you, take what you want". I HAVE TO let the siege me down and wreck my country. And the whole time it is going on the rest of Europe just twiddles their thumbs while Poland is invested in fighting a war TWO THOUSAND MILES AWAY.

The Ottomans really aren't so bad. The AI is not all that good at this game, and they will inevitably burn all their manpower on something else, and then you jump them. It won't be pleasant, but definitely a fight you can win. In my Kazan game I think I cut them off from their Asian possessions in like 1540 or something.

The rest of Europe isn't going to do anything until you either have way more troops than them, or they zero out on manpower. Odds are they won't do anything then either, because nobody really hates Pol-Lit except for Muscovy, who obvious is no longer available. But yeah, the PU nations in general are strong as gently caress, it's really nice having a major power who's foreign policy is completely bound to yours; improvements to PU mechanics emphasizing the inevitable obstinance of the local elite would be a nice DLC I think. I still don't understand why Lithuania is as developed as it is at the start, and the event that gives Austria a PU over all of 1444 Hungary is just ridiculous. The good news for you is that Lithuania is ridiculously rebel prone, and if you weaken them badly they'll probably collapse.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hell, you don't even need to beat them up that much. You can just support rebels and watch Lithuania catch fire due to their religious divisions.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
One of my biggest gripes with the current patch is the Timurids imploding 20 years into the game as if it was a DHE. And the changes to hordes will gently caress them over even more.

Also I am doing a Three mountains run (because I watched too much youtube), I am at the point where I know I've won and can do it but it's really tedious. It's worse than other WCs I've done because you start so much behind everyone else.
I really can't recommend doing this achievement, if the RNG doesn't favour you in the first 50 years you're probably not gonna make it. After that you need some RNG luck with the estates because I can't see how I would do this without milking them whenever possible.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Another Person posted:

But you can't deny that breaking an alliance exclusively to take land from your greatest ally is a bit much in one game, and certainly will destroy your trust with a wide net of people.

No, doing what you are supposed to in order to win should mean nothing. The only time it will destroy your trust is if nobody else cars about score and then you can just ignore victory cards. But if your group does treat score as the victory metric then going for the victory cards at the expense of your allies in order to climb up to the number one spot is literally what is expected of you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm OK with Timurid implosion because it's historically probably and most likely should be a DHE anyway, the only thing I don't like is that they always turn into Persia and friends when it should just be a load of smaller Turkic warlords infighting.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Node posted:

Achievements where you just have to wait in the beginning are so awfully boring. Lucky Lucca is one of those. There is nothing to do until a neighboring state becomes vulnerable. PLEASE DO SOMETHING FERARRA

I just completed that one and I think I focused too much on Asia and not enough on the ottomans because now they're out of control. They've eaten the entire Balkans (except my pitiful possessions), large parts of Poland and took Wien in their last war. I think they have more troops than the top 2-4 countries combined and they don't look to be slowing down any time soon. I mostly try to stay on their good side and keep my defenses in top shape as it'd just be a giant slog to kick them enough to stay down. Especially as they are allied to France, so there's no one left to oppose them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Node posted:

Try doing the Kongo one.

Don't try doing the Kongo one.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Wafflecopper posted:

Try doing the Kongo one.

Don't try doing the Kongo one.

I already tried.

I gave up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't know what you guys are talking about, the Kongo region is lots of fun in my version. :confused:

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Fintilgin posted:

Hey do random nations get random ideas, if not what are Rome's ideas? Roman Empire ideas? That could explain why plucky lil' Rome is doing so well.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wiz posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the Kongo region is lots of fun in my version. :confused:

I hope this means more African provinces in general. Having played an Ethiopia campaign I would be super happy to see the land between the east coast and the great lakes turned into regular provinces; Uganda has a number of historical kingdoms that still exist in some way or other from back then. It would make the region much more interesting.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wiz posted:

Talking about playing as Kongo specifically, there is nothing to do at the start as apart from two OPMs you have no neighbours to fabricate on and nothing else to do until you unlock exploration. Even then I've found settling to the north just leads to getting stomped by whatever regional power is expanding up there. Haven't tried since but it seems the alternative is to expand south around the Cape first which means even longer playing in isolation. It might get fun later on but the start is a yawn fest.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You go catholic and eat Oyo and consorts, it takes a while to get started and is kinda boring until it gets rolling.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Talking about playing as Kongo specifically, there is nothing to do at the start as apart from two OPMs you have no neighbours to fabricate on and nothing else to do until you unlock exploration. Even then I've found settling to the north just leads to getting stomped by whatever regional power is expanding up there. Haven't tried since but it seems the alternative is to expand south around the Cape first which means even longer playing in isolation. It might get fun later on but the start is a yawn fest.

Loango is probably my favourite nation in the game. It is a very fun challenge. I did it way back before estates and development, so it might be very different now, but it is great fun. Nothing to do at the start? You are not thinking creatively enough. No. CB. You may not be able to claim the land up in main West Africa, but you can certainly vassalise and core it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trundel posted:

That is an excellent map, who's controlling the HRE and how much of that map is your fault if not Random Rome?

Callenberg is the HRE. My only influence on the continent is invading Normandy and splitting up the French minor near Paris with (an unfriendly) Brittany. I'd like to move on Flanders for more of the English Channel node, but they're allied with Callenberg despite not being part of the HRE. I'd move on Brittany but they're allied with Toledo, so I'm mostly biding my time and grabbing South Africa.

Elendil004 posted:

What happened to France? Where's France? I need an adult.

France started all split up. I should have taken a Day 1 screenshot of the starting situation. :smith:

Aisar posted:

Hey do random nations get random ideas, if not what are Rome's ideas? Roman Empire ideas? That could explain why plucky lil' Rome is doing so well.

Looks like random. Funny that they're red though.

Other entertainments include Mega Maghreb, Ghor, and Africa. Scania used to be a two province minor but they (somehow) brutalized Sweden (based mostly out of Norway). VERY curious to see what Asia is going to look like.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

I halfway chose this achievement for the icon (the other half was because it seemed relatively small and self-contained), but wow, this was the most fun I've had with EU4 in ages.

I managed to rebel against Poland within a few years - noticed that Lithuania was busy helping Sweden gain their independence from Denmark and wouldn't come in against me, so I jumped on Poland and got a 100% warscore win. Poland got their PU over Lithuania during the war, but wasn't able to call them in because Lithuania was on the same side of the Swedish Independence war as the Teutonic Order, and the Teutons were helping me. This weakened the Poles enough that after my war, Lithuania declared independence, took some of their provinces and released Moldavia.

Within about twenty years of the start, I'd launched a second war against Poland and managed to take all the provinces I needed. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to give Hungary the provinces I'd promised them, so they broke their alliance - which was unfortunate when, midway through coring the new provinces, half my neighbors declared coalition war on me and knocked me very nearly back to square one.

-

The rest of the game was a comedy of errors - I took my cores back, and then watched helplessly as Bohemia and Hungary divided the other four provinces I needed between them. Lithuania collapsed*, and I expanded into them; the Ottomans did too, and I ended up using a diplomat to constantly maintain relations with them in a desperate attempt to prevent them from expanding into me. (They never did, thankfully.) The entire game was spent constantly searching for new allies and for opportunities to take advantage of my neighbors' weakness. I lost three wars. It was incredible.

In the end, I took the land I needed from the Hungarians by declaring war on the Teutonic Order and sieging down their country with a 5-siege general (!) while the Hungarians were distracted with my most loyal ally, poor lil' Bosnia. (Bosnia did not fare very well in my wars.) Bohemia began losing a war spectacularly a few years later, so I dissolved my alliance, trucebroke (only -3 stab - thanks, diplomatic ideas!), and took the provinces I needed.

Bohemia had become the Emperor; that meant they'd added the provinces they'd taken from Poland to the HRE, which meant that taking them put half the Empire in a coalition against me. I halfway expected that they'd declare on me and knock me back to the start, again... but they didn't, so I won!

What a fun game.

*muscovite crimes against borders

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

The Ottomans really aren't so bad. The AI is not all that good at this game, and they will inevitably burn all their manpower on something else, and then you jump them. It won't be pleasant, but definitely a fight you can win. In my Kazan game I think I cut them off from their Asian possessions in like 1540 or something.

The rest of Europe isn't going to do anything until you either have way more troops than them, or they zero out on manpower. Odds are they won't do anything then either, because nobody really hates Pol-Lit except for Muscovy, who obvious is no longer available. But yeah, the PU nations in general are strong as gently caress, it's really nice having a major power who's foreign policy is completely bound to yours; improvements to PU mechanics emphasizing the inevitable obstinance of the local elite would be a nice DLC I think. I still don't understand why Lithuania is as developed as it is at the start, and the event that gives Austria a PU over all of 1444 Hungary is just ridiculous. The good news for you is that Lithuania is ridiculously rebel prone, and if you weaken them badly they'll probably collapse.
Yeah Lithuania is totally insane and scary as gently caress and should probably be toned down. By some miracle I managed to siege down Ryazan and White Peace out. Then I declared war on Pskov who dragged Novgorod in - I peaced Novgorod out forcing them to cancel their alliance with Poland, and now I'm about to wreck them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey guys I fancy doing my first run in the HRE and I guess it would be best to start off as Austria since they're already emperor and pretty awesome in their own right.

What should I be doing? Is there a guide on how to HRE for dummies somewhere?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TorakFade posted:

Hey guys I fancy doing my first run in the HRE and I guess it would be best to start off as Austria since they're already emperor and pretty awesome in their own right.

What should I be doing? Is there a guide on how to HRE for dummies somewhere?

Pro tip, make sure your emperors die as often as possible - if you're the emperor, you die, and your heir becomes emperor, you get like +10% imperial authority. Helps a lot if you're trying to pass reforms.

Other than that basically wreck poo poo in the HRE, pass reforms, form HRE nation, quit in disgust as game becomes a cakewalk. If you want a bit of challenge try keeping the Shadow Kingdom from firing (this requires you take Rome, among other things, before like 1494 or something). Some people go for marrying Bohemia and Hungary on day one to try and get Habsburgs on the thrones, but you'll eventually get missions to force vassalize them anyways so it's kind of pointless in my opinion. Up to you.

Influence and diplomatic ideas are helpful since you'll need to burn AE in order to keep getting elected if you plan to expand within the empire a lot.

Kicking Aragon's poo poo in over and over to keep their prestige down and prevent them/Castile from inheriting Naples if the Iberian Wedding fires off (and Castile doesn't screw the event choice) can help if you're planning to mess about in Italy.

Edit: HRE voting guide for dummies: keep AE down, relations up, ally 3 electors (Brandenburg, Liege?, Palatinate are good choices). Don't vassalize electors unless you're going all the way by vassalizing four or more. Also probably not worth adding any territory you take to the empire until the end stages (renovatio imperii) or you're trying to pass a reform right before the reformation fires off.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 18, 2016

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Look at this Livonian Order in my game. The rest of the world is looking kind of OK.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
HRE and Austria specific chat --

The Italian HRE provinces will leave the Empire sometime shortly after 1490 unless you conquer, core, and add to the Empire all of the Papal State and mainland Venice (note you do NOT need Venezia itself). If you're playing tryhard Emperor, this is probably a good idea though it will cost you a lot of Admin points and will occupy much of your attention for the first couple decades. I would keep the Venetian provinces, but after you've cored and added the Papal States to the HRE, release Urbino as a vassal then cancel their vassalization. As a Catholic you get a penalty for controlling Rome, so once it's part of the HRE hand it off to an independent Urbino.

Taking any HRE province results in 2x AE, so expanding within the Empire itself is very costly and you generally want to keep the HRE as fragmented as possible anyway. When members conquer territory, you can demand they return Unlawful Territory and much of the time they'll give it up. When any of the other HRE members start getting a little big, find a way to declare on them and break them up. Focus your own expansion on Italy, the Balkans, and France rather than conquering within the HRE itself.

As Austria, you have a smallish chance to straight PU Hungary in 1452? 1455? really early on. If you don't get the PU peacefully you'll get a CB to enforce it which is a good idea though Hungary is pretty beefy.

Basically you want to play police and smack down any HRE members who start blobbing up while expanding your territory outside the Empire.

Once the Reformation hits, everything will go to poo poo for about a century. When the Centers of Reformation pop up, see if you can go to war with their owner and force change of religion back to Catholic. If you get lucky a few of the CoRs will spawn in OPMs and you can get rid of them easily, this will slow the spread of the Reformation and make it much easier to clean up the Empire after the League Wars.

A few decades after the Reformation starts, Religious Leagues will form. As Emperor you're default the Catholic League leader. Win the Religious Wars and slowly re-assert Catholic control over the Empire. At that point you've pretty much won the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sheep posted:

Edit: HRE voting guide for dummies: keep AE down, relations up, ally 3 electors (Brandenburg, Liege?, Palatinate are good choices). Don't vassalize electors unless you're going all the way by vassalizing four or more. Also probably not worth adding any territory you take to the empire until the end stages (renovatio imperii) or you're trying to pass a reform right before the reformation fires off.

I recommend allying with as few of the lay electors as possible, and instead going for the ecclesiastical electors, because as non-monarchies, they can't vote for themselves. At the beginning, that's Cologne, Trier, and Mainz. Since it's rare for the rest of the vote to unite around a single candidate, those three votes are enough to hold the title, though you could also ally one of the other electors as well to be more sure. None of the lay electors are really strong enough to justify allying with them on their own either. Perhaps Bohemia, but you probably want to try and force them into a PU anyway, because PUs are broken as hell.

e: VVV

Larry Parrish posted:

Doesn't Austria get a mission or an event or something to PU Bohemia too. I've gotten it 3 of the 4 Austria games I've played. Unfortunately this was before the ticking IA changes so I would probably wouldn't bother if I was trying to pass reforms unless it was pre-reformation so you don't have to worry about IA for awhile anyway.

Yeah, it's a mission. And the AI almost never carries out, and I'm unsure why. Even when they attack Bohemia with that CB, they won't enforce the union. AE worries maybe, given how Austria usually blobs their way across south Germany trying to connect itself.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 18, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doesn't Austria get a mission or an event or something to PU Bohemia too. I've gotten it 3 of the 4 Austria games I've played. Unfortunately this was before the ticking IA changes so I would probably wouldn't bother if I was trying to pass reforms unless it was pre-reformation so you don't have to worry about IA for awhile anyway.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pellisworth posted:

HRE and Austria specific chat --

The Italian HRE provinces will leave the Empire sometime shortly after 1490 unless you conquer, core, and add to the Empire all of the Papal State and mainland Venice (note you do NOT need Venezia itself). If you're playing tryhard Emperor, this is probably a good idea though it will cost you a lot of Admin points and will occupy much of your attention for the first couple decades. I would keep the Venetian provinces, but after you've cored and added the Papal States to the HRE, release Urbino as a vassal then cancel their vassalization. As a Catholic you get a penalty for controlling Rome, so once it's part of the HRE hand it off to an independent Urbino.

The "Reign in Northern Italy" decision can be taken as long as all of the land in the Kingdom of Italy (nothing Naples starts with) is either a

1) A province in the HRE owned by an HRE Member

or

2) A province owned by a vassal of the Emperor

So you dont even have to waste points on coring Roma, you can just vassalize Urbino, take all the other land you need and either annex and add it, or give it to Urbino, and then when you've got everything but roma, take Roma and give it to Urbino, pause the game and enact the decision before your AI vassal gets the event to hand Roma to the Papal States. You only have to deal with the -2Diplo Rep penalty for a few weeks/months and you save nearly 400 admin points on not having to core Rome

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

The "Reign in Northern Italy" decision can be taken as long as all of the land in the Kingdom of Italy (nothing Naples starts with) is either a

1) A province in the HRE owned by an HRE Member

or

2) A province owned by a vassal of the Emperor

So you dont even have to waste points on coring Roma, you can just vassalize Urbino, take all the other land you need and either annex and add it, or give it to Urbino, and then when you've got everything but roma, take Roma and give it to Urbino, pause the game and enact the decision before your AI vassal gets the event to hand Roma to the Papal States. You only have to deal with the -2Diplo Rep penalty for a few weeks/months and you save nearly 400 admin points on not having to core Rome

Oh cool this is great to know, thanks.

It's probably a really good idea if playing as Austria to keep Italy in the HRE, then. You don't really have many other good directions to expand, you can always keep some/most of the valuable Italian land for yourself. Keeping it in the HRE largely is for helping with IA and also slowing down French and Spanish incursions into Italy.

Previously I was coring Roma , adding it to the HRE, giving to Urbino, then cancelling vassalization but doing as you suggest would save a lot of ADM points.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Already put 33 hours into this game over winter break. naval combat/navies is the biggest thing I am having an issue with as well as how to use merchants. I am playing as Castille, set one of my merchants to collect trade in seville to get some money but not quite how trade transfer is suppose to work in your favor.

On the other hand, as Castille, I am now the proud owner of Massachusetts Bay!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Also keeping Italy in the Empire is the easiest way to get that achievement for having 7 non-german Free Cities

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright, I already thought it was weird enough that Ryazan accepted to diplomatically be Poland's vassal, but now Khiva diplomatically accepted to the an Ottoman vassal?!?

I've never seen the AI do this before and it is really loving with my head.

edit: Also, would anyone happen to know why I all of a sudden have a "Tyrant Overlord" modifier with my relations with Qasim? I dont remember an event making it happen.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 19, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bort Bortles posted:

Alright, I already thought it was weird enough that Ryazan accepted to diplomatically be Poland's vassal, but now Khiva diplomatically accepted to the an Ottoman vassal?!?

edit: Also, would anyone happen to know why I all of a sudden have a "Tyrant Overlord" modifier with my relations with Qasim? I dont remember an event making it happen.

Did you have yesman active at all while unpaused? The AI will jump at the chance to do some weird poo poo if even one tick goes by after you console yesman.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

The same thing happened to me during a Persia run where the ottomans diplovassalized Shirvan across QQ and Georgia. Khiva is a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces so it's not that much of a stretch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

Did you have yesman active at all while unpaused? The AI will jump at the chance to do some weird poo poo if even one tick goes by after you console yesman.
I was playing on Ironman.

Odobenidae posted:

The same thing happened to me during a Persia run where the ottomans diplovassalized Shirvan across QQ and Georgia. Khiva is a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces so it's not that much of a stretch.
Seems a little ridiculous considering the AI will never accept diplovassalization from a player under the same circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Seems a little ridiculous considering the AI will never accept diplovassalization from a player under the same circumstances.

Yeah I'm sure the AI (and especially the Ottomans, being a lucky nation) has some sort of hidden diplomatic advantage with these sort of things. The good news is that they can't integrate them unless they get within coring distance, just make sure that they don't reach the caspian sea.

• Locked thread