Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Dressrosa really highlights an issue One Piece has had since coming to the New World and putting more focus on an overall metaplot, which is that there's a whole lotta fuckin' characters and it can be hard to keep track. I think that's why Zou and this arc have been so good in that they haven't really dipped their toes into the plot at large, but there's still some residual cast bloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really liked the twist with Hody, that he was just an indoctrinated racist, never actually experiencing it but learning it from his elders. I felt that was a lot more interesting and relevant than him just being Arlong But Worse

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I really liked the twist with Hody, that he was just an indoctrinated racist, never actually experiencing it but learning it from his elders. I felt that was a lot more interesting and relevant than him just being Arlong But Worse

And then the anime threw in that one filler scene where Hody as a kid got beaten down by humans and saved by Arlong, giving him some justification beyond hate for hate's sake. Still pretty salty over that one!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Usopp saving everyone from Sugar twice made Dressrosa (once through goofy wackiness and the other through super competence and quick thinking) worth it but the arc was paced terribly, especially the end brawl. Everything after has been amazing though.

I don't even remember what happened on Fishman island other than the gigantic princess cried a bunch.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 26, 2017

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The whole point of Dressrosa was to establish characters for the future. Sabo is back, Luffy went from an upstart pirate to a real contender with an entire fleet of pirate crews under him like Whitebeard, BB's crew is going after the revolutionaries, there is obviously growing dissension in the ranks of the military with Fujitora openly acknowledging the Strawhats saved the island and apologizing to kings for military gently caress-ups, the take down of Doflamingo only matters because of his connection to Kaido, and it introduced Reverie, which is going to be a big deal down the line (hopefully soon).

A lot happened all at once and it would have been better to spread it all out, but it all had to happen to set up some key points of the endgame.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

The whole point of Dressrosa was to establish characters for the future. Sabo is back, Luffy went from an upstart pirate to a real contender with an entire fleet of pirate crews under him like Whitebeard, BB's crew is going after the revolutionaries, there is obviously growing dissension in the ranks of the military with Fujitora openly acknowledging the Strawhats saved the island and apologizing to kings for military gently caress-ups, the take down of Doflamingo only matters because of his connection to Kaido, and it introduced Reverie, which is going to be a big deal down the line (hopefully soon).

A lot happened all at once and it would have been better to spread it all out, but it all had to happen to set up some key points of the endgame.

That doesn't take away some very glaring plot points and poor pacing.

Bird cage was straight up retarded, it broke basically every tenet of power in the story.

Kyros and Rebecca became useless and boring after strong introductions, wasting large parts of the arc.

Half the Straw Hat crew did nothing in end fights, wasting multiple chances to build up their characters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the reverie was introduced during fishman island (the queen was collecting signitures to attend it, remember?). that, poseidon, noah, jinbei eventually joining the strawhats, and big mom are the big things fishman island set up. dressrosa showed off more of the attendees but the event itself wasn't introduced there

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The Reverie was introduced all the way back in Alabasta. It was revealed that another was coming up soon during Fishman Island.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the reverie was introduced during fishman island (the queen was collecting signitures to attend it, remember?). that, poseidon, noah, jinbei eventually joining the strawhats, and big mom are the big things fishman island set up. dressrosa showed off more of the attendees but the event itself wasn't introduced there

For some reason I thought it was Riku who first brought it up, but you are right.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shoren posted:

The Reverie was introduced all the way back in Alabasta. It was revealed that another was coming up soon during Fishman Island.

Yeah this. IIRC there was a scene from the last Reverie where the Wapol was being a dick to Vivi

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shoren posted:

I mean this one as an event that is gonna happen

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011
I think Dressrosa would have been much better if they had broken it up into 2 arcs. I really enjoyed the tournament but the whole time I kept thinking "another week where we're not any closer to Doflamingo getting punched". Zou was tremendous but i would have been similarly annoyed if it had been placed as: Get to Wano and plan to beat up Kaido -> Oh here's a couple months of furries with a tragic backstory -> Get back to working to beat up Kaido.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dressrosa had a billion things going on at once and was just too big, which created pacing problems. And then the final fight got dragged on for a while as well.

I still liked it better than Punk Hazard though.
Should have used the string powers to tie both of Luffy's hands behind his back tbh

Then he could have turned himself into a bullet and used his new Gear power to pump his legs and make himself go even faster

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 26, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Scott Aukerman of comedy bang bang possible OP fan? Subtle shoutout to "Big News" Morgan is most recent ep! Scott calls out for all to hear: "This is Big News".

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

Scott Aukerman of comedy bang bang possible OP fan? Subtle shoutout to "Big News" Morgan is most recent ep! Scott calls out for all to hear: "This is Big News".

Thanks for the Big News, Big News Keven

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i still think luffy should have been tied up and then bodyswapped into bellamy to draw things out instead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shoren posted:

Wasn't it on Drum Island when Dalton was trying to figure out how he knew Vivi? I'm almost certain the flashback to Wapol being a dick to Vivi was part of the build towards the audience loathing that hippo fucker.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Is it just me, or have the Strawhats had way more hangers-on since they arrived in the New World?

When they reached Punk Hazard, they were joined by Law, the Samurai Guy, his kid and Caesar.

They spent most of their time in Dressrosa with the Toy Soldier/Kyros and Rebecca, as well as the other Samurai.

Now since leaving Zou, they have Pedro and Carrot, and I'm still not even sure why they are here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Carrot is here because Carrot is cute.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Is it just me, or have the Strawhats had way more hangers-on since they arrived in the New World?

When they reached Punk Hazard, they were joined by Law, the Samurai Guy, his kid and Caesar.

They spent most of their time in Dressrosa with the Toy Soldier/Kyros and Rebecca, as well as the other Samurai.

Now since leaving Zou, they have Pedro and Carrot, and I'm still not even sure why they are here.

Pedro was chosen for the mission because he'd been to Whole Cake Island and fought the Big Mom Pirates in the past, I guess. Carrot stowed away, IIRC.

As for the Doylist reasons why they're there...Carrot is there to interact with Chopper. Pedro is probably there to give us a reason to care about the Soul Soul Fruit draining people's lifespans.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rebecca and her dad aren't any different from any of the other people they've met on x island and befriended. like the sky island girl and her dad, for example

they've definitely been bringing more people that aren't actually strawhats around on their ship since the new world tho. there's been a focus on building alliances in the new world (luffy claiming fishman island, the alliance between the heart pirates and the strawhats, the strawhat armada forming, and samurai of wano and minks from zou pitching in to fight kaidou), whereas the first half of the grandline was mostly building up the crew itself

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

DeadBonesBrook posted:

From a character perspective, Pedro has a history with Big Mom and Carrot wanted to see the world. It also spices up the character interactions and fills a hole left by the other strawhats. Kyros and Rebecca were your standard Island Arc People Needing Help. So were Kinemon and co, but that grew into the meta-plot leading up to Kaido so they stuck around. This is basically a continuation of the style of the Summit War saga, only with more secondary characters. Poor Big Mom is just a pit stop on the road to Kaido.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I was gonna say that the new hangers on used to join the crew, but that has still been happening and Zou is definitely gonna attack marine hq or whatever at some point

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I love it when side characters stick around for multiple arcs. Been into it since Johnny and Yosaku helped out at Arlong Park. I hope Caesar Gastino is still around long after his usefulness has disappeared.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

TriffTshngo posted:

I love it when side characters stick around for multiple arcs. Been into it since Johnny and Yosaku helped out at Arlong Park. I hope Caesar Gastino is still around long after his usefulness has disappeared.

I hope the strawhats drag Bege into the next arc like they did Law. I know it's obvious that Capone plans on backstabbing them, but Law had also originally planned on not becoming buddies with Luffy.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I want Luffy to become friends with all of the Supernovas.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

He's a gas logia and a master chemist. That means he'll pretty much always be useful for something or another, even if he's increasingly hopelessly outclassed in actual combat. At the very least, Chopper and Franky both now have an indispensable assistant.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Viridiant posted:

If I can't have this, I at least want to see every Supernova facefault in response to something Luffy or the other Straw Hats do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I hope the strawhats drag Bege into the next arc like they did Law. I know it's obvious that Capone plans on backstabbing them, but Law had also originally planned on not becoming buddies with Luffy.

I feel like Bege's wife's friendship-by-proxy with Nami should be a big curb on any plans he has to backstab the Straw Hats. For all his faults, guy seems to be a genuine family man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DizzyBum posted:

If I can't have this, I at least want to see every Supernova facefault in response to something Luffy or the other Straw Hats do.

Going to be hard to top Law, who Enelfaced at his own antics after spending too much time with the gang.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gyges posted:

Going to be hard to top Law, who Enelfaced at his own antics after spending too much time with the gang.

He doesn't like bread!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Viridiant posted:

It looks more like there's going to be two alliances of Supernovas, one led by Luffy and one led by Kidd (remember him?) and they're either going to clash when Shanks and Kaido meet and fight or at some point after Kidd fights Shanks and Luffy fights Kaido. (I don't think Kidd is allied with Kaido but they likely have shared enemies).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Xelkelvos posted:

It looks more like there's going to be two alliances of Supernovas, one led by Luffy and one led by Kidd (remember him?) and they're either going to clash when Shanks and Kaido meet and fight or at some point after Kidd fights Shanks and Luffy fights Kaido. (I don't think Kidd is allied with Kaido but they likely have shared enemies).

kidd's donezo tho and his buddies work for kaido now.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

anime was right posted:

Wait, when did this happen? Ive been taking long breaks so I dont remember a lot of the between the arc updates on the side chars.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Meme Emulator posted:

Wait, when did this happen? Ive been taking long breaks so I dont remember a lot of the between the arc updates on the side chars.

chapter 824

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

Apoo works for Kaidou now, and Kidd was imprisoned and possibly maimed. I don't think there was any confirmation of what happened to Hawkins.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Meme Emulator posted:

When Kaido did his belly flop from the sky island he landed on the Kidd alliance's hideout. Later when team Rescue Sanji set out from Zou we cut back to Kaido drunkenly yelling about that goddamn Strawhat. His rambling tirade ends with a shot of Kidd beat up and in a cell while Kaido yells at him about how the Worst Generation think they're hot poo poo.

I think at some other point it's revealed that Scratchman was working for Kaido the whole time and was just in the alliance to burn Kidd.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

When Kaido did his belly flop from the sky island he landed on the Kidd alliance's hideout. Later when team Rescue Sanji set out from Zou we cut back to Kaido drunkenly yelling about that goddamn Strawhat. His rambling tirade ends with a shot of Kidd beat up and in a cell while Kaido yells at him about how the Worst Generation think they're hot poo poo.

I think at some other point it's revealed that Scratchman was working for Kaido the whole time and was just in the alliance to burn Kidd.

theres a panel of him taking orders from kaido, its not really clear if he betrayed kaido or when kidd lost the fight he changed allegiances real quick, or if they were offered positions in the first place and kidd refused.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wanna see more Bonney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

theres a panel of him taking orders from kaido, its not really clear if he betrayed kaido or when kidd lost the fight he changed allegiances real quick, or if they were offered positions in the first place and kidd refused.

Guess I was remembering personal speculation as fact. Seems somebody tipped off Kaido. Pretty unlikely to just happen to take your long walk off a short cloud right above the dudes plotting against you.