Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

prom candy posted:

This is nice to read after all the poo poo you were posting last year about your terrible job

Thanks! Honestly the new job (which I guess isn’t all that new anymore since it’s been over a year but who can tell with how hosed the passage of time is during the age of quarantine) is better in just about every single aspect up to and including waaaay better pay.

I actually credit this thread and the folks in it for giving me some much needed perspective about how bad and damaging it actually was because I’d been in it too long and couldn’t tell anymore because in the beginning it was great and frog in boiling pot and all that. Finally getting on antidepressants and snapping out of a paralyzing bout of imposter syndrome also helped. I’m still working on unlearning some maladaptive tendencies but it’s way better than before.

As for my cool and good team, I took part in interviewing them thanks to the inclusive and transparent interview process we have here. If I’d sensed any red flags or bad vibes from a candidate I have full confidence that the higher ups would have jettisoned said candidate. Very unlike my old job where I was peripherally aware we had an open position and then all of a sudden a new coworker would be dumped on us (in a very small team where it was kind of important that we all meshed).

One thing I will add is that I don’t believe that the shittiness of my old job was intentional or malicious. There were significant growing pains and the dev team suffered from mismanagement, management being oblivious to the undercurrents of poo poo and a couple bad hires. But in a small company and a super small team, a couple bad moves like that can completely gently caress things up for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Speaking of new jobs. A while ago I was reading about the push back on large take homes companies were expecting people to do during the interview process and that companies were starting to address the issue. Well now that I'm looking for a job I'm running into the same large take homes that are different only in them just slapping "please don't spend more than an hour on this task" while still asking the same kind of 4 hour+ task of you. I questioned this with one of them and the response was "we understand that some candidates will go over the hour, but we don't encourage you too".

Is this some kind of check to see if I will work unpaid 'optional' overtime for them?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Speaking of new jobs. A while ago I was reading about the push back on large take homes companies were expecting people to do during the interview process and that companies were starting to address the issue. Well now that I'm looking for a job I'm running into the same large take homes that are different only in them just slapping "please don't spend more than an hour on this task" while still asking the same kind of 4 hour+ task of you. I questioned this with one of them and the response was "we understand that some candidates will go over the hour, but we don't encourage you too".

Is this some kind of check to see if I will work unpaid 'optional' overtime for them?

lol i had one of those that was basically "make this full application, front end and back end, it all has to work, have user management, roles and permissions, make the front end look nice" and they said it would take 2-3 hours at most.

to get it setup maybe. i had a bit of impostor syndrome kick in but it went away when i realized that no, it wasn't that i'm just not good enough to do it in 3 hours, it's just a gigantic task. in their defense they said you didn't have to do everything (which i didn't believe) and even though i didn't deliver everything (i'm not spending 5 days/multiple hours a day on this) i still passed, to be fair.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Inacio posted:

lol i had one of those that was basically "make this full application, front end and back end, it all has to work, have user management, roles and permissions, make the front end look nice" and they said it would take 2-3 hours at most.

to get it setup maybe. i had a bit of impostor syndrome kick in but it went away when i realized that no, it wasn't that i'm just not good enough to do it in 3 hours, it's just a gigantic task. in their defense they said you didn't have to do everything (which i didn't believe) and even though i didn't deliver everything (i'm not spending 5 days/multiple hours a day on this) i still passed, to be fair.

I had the exact same imposter syndrome until I shared it with a few dev friends who agreed with me it was a 4+ hour task.

The bit that threw me off even more was it said "Please take your time too really impress us". Take your time! jfc I'm barely gonna have the thing scaffolded in an hour let alone be impressing anyone with anything.
I probably wouldn't have cared so much if it was a one off, but Ive done a few of these in the last 2 weeks and I'm really tired of giving up every evening to them, I think I might just take a break for Christmas and restart my search in January. Maybe I can do some personal projects to stick on my github and ask if they will look at those for assessment instead of making me do these boring take homes that just get chucked in the bin after.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Having just gone through an interview improvement process with my team, there's a lot of momentum behind big take-homes. My coworkers wanted interviewees to build a complete argo workflow, tip to tail, that consumed a flask API and performed some transformations on the data. All of this was to be built from scratch. Estimated time was 2-3 hours. I barely stopped short of calling it disrespectful to even consider giving this to anyone we weren't paying and noted that as someone comfortable with all these techs, I'd want at least a whole day for it. It took multiple meetings to cut it down to "give them literally everything and then give them some requirements to modify/extend it". Teammates were very invested in the "everyone else is doing this, and I had to do this, so our interviewees should have to do this" philosophy.

Luckily, the in-person interview was a little easier, but yeah if you're not tuned into the current conversation around interviews there's a lot of "well we've always done <algorithm questions/dumb takehomes/etc>"

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Huge take-home projects that you have to build from scratch basically amount to spec work. It’s one thing to give a project that actually takes 2-3 hours and then there’s asking the person to build an entire app and merely claim it should only take 2-3 hours.

I think my company hit the right balance. I was given a busted little toy app that I had to fix and improve. Seeing if a candidate could find their way around the code and diagnose problems and also write a bit of new code was sufficient to gauge aptitude without wasting many evenings of your life.

My boss later told me that it often ended up being a litmus test for whether the candidate was able to code at all without plagiarizing a solution. There were apparently a ton of candidates that looked good enough on paper to get to the take-home test stage but ended up being lying hacks.

Test needs to be rewritten (frontend paradigm has changed and we want to evaluate some different skills), but when we get to it it’ll still be the same concept - dumb toy app that’s already built that just needs fixing and tweaking.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Queen Victorian posted:

I think my company hit the right balance. I was given a busted little toy app that I had to fix and improve. Seeing if a candidate could find their way around the code and diagnose problems and also write a bit of new code was sufficient to gauge aptitude without wasting many evenings of your life.

those are much nicer imo.
you build your stuff and break it and see if the candidate can fix it. it's okay if you want them to implement a [small, reasonable] new feature too, especially to see if they can make it fit in with the rest of the architecture

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just want to bitch about some people that are truly helpless.

Built a simple web API, has two endpoints. Super simple to use. Put together a word doc on its capabilities, limitations, had example Postman API calls, etc. All the fancy things you’d want to properly consume an API if you were assigned the job.

Two weeks go by, someone asks for the info again. I resend the email with all the resources.

Today, a week later, they emailed me back. “What values are valid for this parameter of the request?”

Gee, I dunno, if only there was a word doc that listed all of the possible values for this parameter that I know is in your inbox... twice!!! :argh:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Protocol7 posted:

I just want to bitch about some people that are truly helpless.

Built a simple web API, has two endpoints. Super simple to use. Put together a word doc on its capabilities, limitations, had example Postman API calls, etc. All the fancy things you’d want to properly consume an API if you were assigned the job.

Two weeks go by, someone asks for the info again. I resend the email with all the resources.

Today, a week later, they emailed me back. “What values are valid for this parameter of the request?”

Gee, I dunno, if only there was a word doc that listed all of the possible values for this parameter that I know is in your inbox... twice!!! :argh:

When I get an email like that, the person usually isn't really asking "what values are valid for this parameter?" They're usually really trying to say something such as "I tried to use your api, something doesn't work, I don't know why, and writing a bug report or reproduction steps is effort."

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I really really hate doing take home coding projects myself. Almost every single one I've done I felt was pretty unfair, for all the reasons everyone's already said here.

But I actually really like giving them out to candidates. I started doing interviews 2 months ago for the first time, and I like to give candidates a project that will actually take 2-3 hours just to see if they can really code. Then we have an interactive interview afterwards where they walk me through it and continue working on it. I found it to be way more effective than asking a candidate to reverse a linked list.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

by the way i still prefer take home over asking me to write a stupid algorithm i have to memorize from Cracking the Coding Interview
my most recent interview had me do a take home as the first step, then in the subsequent interviews i still had to write [simple, tbf] algorithms live and i rolled my eyes a bit

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Same. The idea of take homes is great. Just please respect my time.

And giving me some broken code to fix and implement x feature is gonna tell you a lot more than "create a Web api" to which anyone can just follow a guide and pass.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I had a company send me a project that they claimed should take less than 4 hours. I balked at that but thought "I'll give it a try." So I downloaded the template to get started. It was literally just an empty VS project. It didn't even have the default file renamed. They clicked 5 buttons in VS, saved those files, and called it a template. I was so pissed; my email response was not appropriate. And on top of that their instructions were poo poo, and I estimated it at more like 8 - 10 hours. I don't think they understood that anyone with a lick of sense doesn't want to go work for a company that can't even provide a real template with a realistic timeline and spec doc. If they can't even do that right, how hosed is the real deal? And it was for a senior dev spot, like this wasn't an intro position.

It ticks me off just remembering it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

downout posted:

I had a company send me a project that they claimed should take less than 4 hours. I balked at that but thought "I'll give it a try." So I downloaded the template to get started. It was literally just an empty VS project. It didn't even have the default file renamed. They clicked 5 buttons in VS, saved those files, and called it a template. I was so pissed; my email response was not appropriate. And on top of that their instructions were poo poo, and I estimated it at more like 8 - 10 hours. I don't think they understood that anyone with a lick of sense doesn't want to go work for a company that can't even provide a real template with a realistic timeline and spec doc. If they can't even do that right, how hosed is the real deal? And it was for a senior dev spot, like this wasn't an intro position.

It ticks me off just remembering it.

Congrats you passed the interview for our manager role! When can you start?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inacio posted:

those are much nicer imo.
you build your stuff and break it and see if the candidate can fix it. it's okay if you want them to implement a [small, reasonable] new feature too, especially to see if they can make it fit in with the rest of the architecture

The bulk of my career has been doing surgery on old busted products, either to fix bugs or add features (often both at once), yet every take home I've done has been some build-a-toy problem. Sometimes it's a problem that's vaguely related to the business, but even then they trivialize the problem space so much that it's effectively unrelated. I say if a company has a code base older than 6 months, "fix/improve this code" sounds a lot better, because at least that's related to the primary coding activities you'll be doing, and frankly, more companies should be evaluating a candidates debugging and analysis capabilities anyway.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
My favorite take-home was a task that legitimately took an hour, but because I was really interested in the role I spent an extra two hours figuring out Airflow. It was also a concrete task they had done recently so it was reflective of the work they did. Normally if I click on your take home and you're just asking me to implement some algorithms or it'll take more than an hour or two I'll just not do it -- I'm gainfully employed and your job is probably not interesting enough. I really hate the take-homes that are just three CTCI problems, though, and if you're sending me a Hackerrank link before I've even had a chance to talk to anyone past HR your job better be really loving interesting.

I ended up turning down that role because they couldn't afford me -- they're still looking for it almost nine months later so I don't think they can really afford anyone.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 11, 2020

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It was also a concrete task they had done recently so it was reflective of the work they did.

Those are the best interview tests. You can dig in to find out what’s actually needed.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

lifg posted:

Those are the best interview tests. You can dig in to find out what’s actually needed.
If a place does this I'm automatically interested. If they do something cool, even better. One place I had an offer from didn't even do a real coding test, they had me do some cursory coding task with an engineer over a call and then brought me in and I spent a few hours designing data pipelines and APIs -- I got the offer the week poo poo hit the fan and by the end of the week they withdrew the offer.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

A couple months ago, I asked the VP of another department if they had a role I could change into and they got me one, effective January 1st
I mentioned the salary discrepancy to HR and asked if that's the sort of offer they'd make to someone with my experience for that role

Update: VP says my pay is already in line with the rest of the department, but here's a $3k raise anyway

downout
Jul 6, 2009

rt4 posted:

Update: VP says my pay is already in line with the rest of the department, but here's a $3k raise anyway

"we're underpaying the entire department, here's 3k to get over it!" :lmao: just take the money and find something new for 30k more in ~6 months.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's a ton to learn in this new role. I'll take the time to learn that stuff and then :toot: into the figgiesphere. The scale of pay has got to be why I'm the only US American in this department.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

rt4 posted:

if you get a 3k raise outside of normal review time apropos of nothing but asking questions you're probably >20k undervalued.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Something interesting came up in the Corporate thread:

Space Gopher posted:

There is a way to contain Agile to what it's good at. I'm bored and going to do a less cynical than normal effort post.

Basically, agile is very good at dealing with certain, hard-to-handle problems. It's absolutely terrible at others. People see that it's able to handle some tough problems, and think it's the one true framework for them, then try to implement it where it's not as good and fall flat on their faces.

To identify where it's good, and where it's not so good, we've got to drag out another framework. The one that's useful here is called "cynefin," which is a Welsh word (pronounced coo-NEV-in) that means "habitat," and also a 4-box categorization system for problems that came out of IBM in the late 90s/early 2000s. Like a lot of business frameworks, it has a few genuinely useful insights, as well as a lot of bloviating nonsense articles and books that overextend the hell out of it. But, it'll be useful for this, I promise.

Cynefin puts problems into four categories: simple, complicated, complex, and chaotic. Simple isn't necessarily easy, but it's well-understood: it's the category of problems that are already well-known, documented, handled with best practices, and so forth. The challenge with simple problems is executing the known solution effectively and efficiently. Complicated problems are new and challenging, but you can still break them down and analyze them before you get started. You might not know every detail of a complicated problem, but it's one that you can pin down, get expert advice on, and so forth - they respond really well to up-front analysis before you dive in.

Complex problems, on the other hand (and, incidentally, gently caress you, cynefin framework authors, for using close and similar-sounding synonyms for very different concepts), are ones that tend to change out from under you, and that you can't analyze up front. They tend to involve a lot of unpredictable or only semi-predictable human behavior, rather than automated systems. To handle complex problems, you have to take probing actions and run experiments, see if they work, get rid of the failed experiments, and scale up the ones that do turn out well (maybe even turning them into complicated problems, as you get a clearer handle on what works). Finally, chaotic problems are just the "somebody just do something, for the love of god" category - there's no good way to handle them besides trying to get everybody doing something, putting a lid on the chaos where you can, and eventually getting to a place where you can bring in the experts or run experiments or whatever.

Agile is purpose-built to handle the complex problem space, which is a weakness of traditional project management that wants to make big plans upfront. All the stuff about quick sprints, product reviews, regular re-planning, and so forth is intended to give you space to run those little experiments, improve on the ones that work, and not invest too much into the ones that don't. The cynefin approach here is "probe, sense, respond," and you can basically map everything you do in well-run agile methodologies to one of those verbs.

People see that agile works really well on those tough complex problems, and think it's the magic swiss army knife that'll make all their problems easy to solve. But, if you're trying to attack one of the other problem spaces, it's just a bunch of bullshit that enables experiments you don't need to run and quick changes you hopefully don't need to make. Meanwhile, up-front planing and analysis stages, that traditional project management does well, are sidelined - so you're basically crippling yourself by getting rid of very useful tools that handle complicated or "simple" problems. Incidentally, you're exactly right about SAFe. It's just a way to launder trendy-sounding agile language back into processes that work well for complicated and simple problems, at the cost of throwing out or undermining everything that makes it useful for complex ones.

Accounting is close to the archetypal example of one of those "simple" problem domains that's not necessarily easy, but well-understood. You don't need to run experiments. You don't need to make quick changes. You can get to most of the requirements in an accounting system just by studying the field, and for the ones that are left, you can analyze your needs up front before you start work. Agile is bad here because there's no use for the things that it does do well, and you're giving up plenty by not following other approaches that are better suited to the work you're actually doing.

If you're in a position to argue against an agile implementation that doesn't make sense, you could do worse than grabbing a bunch of cynefin articles from HBR or other prestige business journalism sources. It's not super trendy, but it pops up often enough that you can find recent sources. Or, worst case, just sigh and suggest SAFe.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Is it bad that I read the description of chaotic problems and immediately thought “ah, yes, that sounds like agile”

downout
Jul 6, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Space Gopher posted:

There is a way to contain Agile to what it's good at. I'm bored and going to do a less cynical than normal effort post.

Basically, agile is very good at dealing with certain, hard-to-handle problems. It's absolutely terrible at others. People see that it's able to handle some tough problems, and think it's the one true framework for them, then try to implement it where it's not as good and fall flat on their faces.

To identify where it's good, and where it's not so good, we've got to drag out another framework. The one that's useful here is called "cynefin," which is a Welsh word (pronounced coo-NEV-in) that means "habitat," and also a 4-box categorization system for problems that came out of IBM in the late 90s/early 2000s. Like a lot of business frameworks, it has a few genuinely useful insights, as well as a lot of bloviating nonsense articles and books that overextend the hell out of it. But, it'll be useful for this, I promise.

Cynefin puts problems into four categories: simple, complicated, complex, and chaotic. Simple isn't necessarily easy, but it's well-understood: it's the category of problems that are already well-known, documented, handled with best practices, and so forth. The challenge with simple problems is executing the known solution effectively and efficiently. Complicated problems are new and challenging, but you can still break them down and analyze them before you get started. You might not know every detail of a complicated problem, but it's one that you can pin down, get expert advice on, and so forth - they respond really well to up-front analysis before you dive in.

Complex problems, on the other hand (and, incidentally, gently caress you, cynefin framework authors, for using close and similar-sounding synonyms for very different concepts), are ones that tend to change out from under you, and that you can't analyze up front. They tend to involve a lot of unpredictable or only semi-predictable human behavior, rather than automated systems. To handle complex problems, you have to take probing actions and run experiments, see if they work, get rid of the failed experiments, and scale up the ones that do turn out well (maybe even turning them into complicated problems, as you get a clearer handle on what works). Finally, chaotic problems are just the "somebody just do something, for the love of god" category - there's no good way to handle them besides trying to get everybody doing something, putting a lid on the chaos where you can, and eventually getting to a place where you can bring in the experts or run experiments or whatever.

Agile is purpose-built to handle the complex problem space, which is a weakness of traditional project management that wants to make big plans upfront. All the stuff about quick sprints, product reviews, regular re-planning, and so forth is intended to give you space to run those little experiments, improve on the ones that work, and not invest too much into the ones that don't. The cynefin approach here is "probe, sense, respond," and you can basically map everything you do in well-run agile methodologies to one of those verbs.

People see that agile works really well on those tough complex problems, and think it's the magic swiss army knife that'll make all their problems easy to solve. But, if you're trying to attack one of the other problem spaces, it's just a bunch of bullshit that enables experiments you don't need to run and quick changes you hopefully don't need to make. Meanwhile, up-front planing and analysis stages, that traditional project management does well, are sidelined - so you're basically crippling yourself by getting rid of very useful tools that handle complicated or "simple" problems. Incidentally, you're exactly right about SAFe. It's just a way to launder trendy-sounding agile language back into processes that work well for complicated and simple problems, at the cost of throwing out or undermining everything that makes it useful for complex ones.

Accounting is close to the archetypal example of one of those "simple" problem domains that's not necessarily easy, but well-understood. You don't need to run experiments. You don't need to make quick changes. You can get to most of the requirements in an accounting system just by studying the field, and for the ones that are left, you can analyze your needs up front before you start work. Agile is bad here because there's no use for the things that it does do well, and you're giving up plenty by not following other approaches that are better suited to the work you're actually doing.

If you're in a position to argue against an agile implementation that doesn't make sense, you could do worse than grabbing a bunch of cynefin articles from HBR or other prestige business journalism sources. It's not super trendy, but it pops up often enough that you can find recent sources. Or, worst case, just sigh and suggest SAFe.

That's pretty interesting, I need to save this.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That sounds a bit like the Pioneers, Settlers, Town Planners model. It’s the idea that there are different types of teams for different needs, whether you’re exploring unknown territory with big risks, turning a crazy prototype into working software, or scaling and industrializing that software.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ultrafilter posted:

great find!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, the joys of Christmas week, where I don’t have any meetings scheduled but it’s impossible to get any changes code reviewed because there aren’t enough teammates working.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thank god for the SA forums

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Idk why we can't all just declare these two weeks a holiday. Well ... I know why but I guess I can wish

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Look at all of you complaining that you have to check your email and then do absolutely nothing afterwards for two weeks while being paid for it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I ain’t complaining. Hell yeah, short week! :unsmith:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Volmarias posted:

Look at all of you complaining that you have to check your email and then do absolutely nothing afterwards for two weeks while being paid for it.

While working from home.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

lifg posted:

While working from home.

Without pants

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

This is my favorite week to work because I can get a lot done without meetings interrupting me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Trip report: it was a very productive two weeks although my list of unmerged outstanding PRs got out of hand and I had to work on some side project by the end of it.

This was the worst year by far for end of year time off. I was literally the only person working last week on my eight person team. Did anyone’s employers do a better job of managing this?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

smackfu posted:

Trip report: it was a very productive two weeks although my list of unmerged outstanding PRs got out of hand and I had to work on some side project by the end of it.

This was the worst year by far for end of year time off. I was literally the only person working last week on my eight person team. Did anyone’s employers do a better job of managing this?
I think we had pretty much everyone on undeclared vacation, nominally working but basically just checking Slack a couple times a day for anything on fire. So no, but also, nobody terribly seems to mind enough for us to give any kind of feedback about taking the vacation days (we don't meter them)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

smackfu posted:

Sounds like all of your coworkers did a better job of managing themselves :shrug:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah where I work we had holidays for most of the week and everyone used time off to get the remaining two days off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My work shut down for the holidays and just asked us to keep an eye on Slack in case of any emergencies. I think the two founders kept things running.