Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Godzilla's hatred of human structures is a constant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It looks like the tail has at least a dozen points of articulation, just curl it up over G's shoulder

I counted 30 sections. It's wild. Definitely longer than the frozen Shin SH Monsterarts I have. I'm looking forward to this guy at the end of the year.

edit: the tail is 44cm long :monocle:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 3, 2021

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Maxwell Lord posted:

Godzilla's hatred of human structures is a constant

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Eyyy, look who I found at Target.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nice PVM! :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Limited versions on the Neronga and Gabora Sofubi from Shin Ultraman coming from Premium Bandai in Japan. I dig that invisible Neronga

https://twitter.com/soundwave0628/status/1400592865596559362?s=21

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eyyy, look who I found at Target.

Looks like you can't get him to stand up without leaning on something either.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I saw one of those tonight and realized the other place I'd seen that posture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYvQCwU0xgc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thanks! It's a solid set.

And it indeed does not stand up without leaning on something.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finally took a picture of my set of mini vinyl Godzilla and Friends

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:sickos:
S.H. Monsterarts reveal of Godzilla Ultima with to-scale Jet Jaguar! Pre orders open now on the Premium Bandai Japan site.

Godzilla's got a bite like an Allosaurus. :allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shiroc posted:

Aaaah, I am envious of this! Looks so awesome!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Woah! Are those all MaruGacha? Great collection! I only have 2 of them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Woah! Are those all MaruGacha? Great collection! I only have 2 of them.

I think so. I was getting them from a Kinokuniya bookstore over the past couple years and they all came in little white blind boxes. They also had some preopened Ghidorah ones but those were $75 each and I never got any because that's a lot even if they were like 3x the size of these ones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shiroc posted:

I think so. I was getting them from a Kinokuniya bookstore over the past couple years and they all came in little white blind boxes. They also had some preopened Ghidorah ones but those were $75 each and I never got any because that's a lot even if they were like 3x the size of these ones.

Well, thanks to this post I googled Kinokuniya and found out there’s one near me still selling their Godzilla line, so I guess I know what I’m doing this weekend :homebrew:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well, thanks to this post I googled Kinokuniya and found out there’s one near me still selling their Godzilla line, so I guess I know what I’m doing this weekend :homebrew:

They always have some Godzilla stuff because they have a partnership with the Godzilla stores in Japan. The 'Godzilla Invasions' seem to be a once a year thing they do now where they get tons of new items in. Hope you find cool poo poo at whichever one is near you.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Ah that figures. Yeah Marusan sells them at events as "MaruGacha" where you pay ¥1000 or ¥2000 and have a go for a random one. Also sometimes you get one as an omake with orders from them on certain figures. I forgot that Kinokuniya carried them.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Someday I'm going to go to Japan and I'll end up coming back with thousands of dollars of Godzilla stuff that I'll entirely rationalize away by saying its probably the only time I'll be there to get it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Shiroc posted:

Someday I'm going to go to Japan and I'll end up coming back with thousands of dollars of Godzilla stuff that I'll entirely rationalize away by saying its probably the only time I'll be there to get it.

Between Godzilla, Ultraman, and NPB I genuinely live in fear of my first eventual Japan trip.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

I've done this. Not $1k worth, but yeah similar. In the end it can be cheaper than buying a lot of Godzilla stuff at flipper prices. A couple years ago I saw a guy on one of the FB collector's groups paid $2000 for a SunGuts Shin Godzilla. For that price he could have actually taken a trip to Japan during one of the toy festivals that the figure was put out and bought it in Japan and have a whole trip of memories.

The figure in question costs around $100 from SunGuts when he sells them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Shiroc posted:

They always have some Godzilla stuff because they have a partnership with the Godzilla stores in Japan. The 'Godzilla Invasions' seem to be a once a year thing they do now where they get tons of new items in. Hope you find cool poo poo at whichever one is near you.

I went tonight and they still had a ton of stuff. They had five of the guys from your display and I ended up with a solid gray Rodan and a metallic black/rose/gold Mothra. Pretty slick, I dig them a lot but I wish I had a stand for the Mothra. They had a bunch of Ghidorahs as well, but $70 was a little high for my taste. Aside from that they had the standard keychains, shirts, etc. but also a whole series of Toho SFX booklet/magazines for each film.

I was also sorely tempted by the Movie Masters figures, particularly the Godzilla Square replica. Really neat store.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

See, this is why I try to limit my number of Godzillas. I just know if I don't, I'll end up homeless, surrounded by soft vinyl lizards.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1400720759870214145?s=20
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1400720845052342274?s=20

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I went tonight and they still had a ton of stuff. They had five of the guys from your display and I ended up with a solid gray Rodan and a metallic black/rose/gold Mothra. Pretty slick, I dig them a lot but I wish I had a stand for the Mothra. They had a bunch of Ghidorahs as well, but $70 was a little high for my taste. Aside from that they had the standard keychains, shirts, etc. but also a whole series of Toho SFX booklet/magazines for each film.

I was also sorely tempted by the Movie Masters figures, particularly the Godzilla Square replica. Really neat store.

I have a few of the SFX booklets. They're a little expensive for what they are but some of them do have interesting details (whatever text they have also has good enough English translations) and pictures that I hadn't seen before. The one for Millennium Godzilla had a funny behind the scenes photo of Godzilla of in the shooting pool. Stripped of the angles and effects to make him look giant, it instead made him look like he was drunk and wandered into a park's fountain.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My 10 year old G-fanatic is re-watching Shin right now and early in the movie, after assessing the damage, one of the characters prays. My son says, "Praying to your stupid god won't help because Godzilla is the god."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My 10 year old G-fanatic is re-watching Shin right now and early in the movie, after assessing the damage, one of the characters prays. My son says, "Praying to your stupid god won't help because Godzilla is the god."

:hmmyes:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Does anyone know how much the Monsterarts GvK Godzilla figure differs from the other Monsterverse Godzillas in the line? I have the 2014 'Spitfire Edition' which also has blue fins but it seems like there are a lot of other small details changed. I also like the blue mouth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

Does anyone know how much the Monsterarts GvK Godzilla figure differs from the other Monsterverse Godzillas in the line? I have the 2014 'Spitfire Edition' which also has blue fins but it seems like there are a lot of other small details changed. I also like the blue mouth.

They'll be fairly different as far as these things go

Its exactly the same as the KotM one though

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think the new one can actually crawl too, haha.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Burkion posted:

Cool, thanks, that picture helps a lot. I have the KOTM burning and the transluscent blue ones but no regular color ones. It was hard to compare my 2014 one against those.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

I didn’t realize how narrow and Millennium-ish the head had gotten. The broad crocodile face and squat posture of G14 just looks better to me.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Monsterarts GvK Godzilla is mostly for those for missed out on the 2019 Godzilla and don't want to pay the aftermarket prices (I know this because I have one and Kong on the way soon).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I ordered the Godzilla. I also preordered a KvG Mechagodzilla from BBTS to be able to think about how much I like the design even though I kinda hated the movie.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I wasn't a big fan of the Mechagodzilla design at first, but after seeing it in motion it grew on me.

Was hoping for something like this:

But the design in the movie makes much more sense from a practical perspective (such as the long arms gave it an edge in melee).

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 10, 2021

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
According to Instantwatcher, most of the Gamera movies dropped on Prime today. Going to check that out once I get home.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I wasn't a big fan of the Mechagodzilla design at first, but after seeing it in motion it grew on me.

Was hoping for something like this:

But the design in the movie makes much more sense from a practical perspective (such as the long arms gave it an edge in melee).

This would have been infinitely better. The MG design was horrible IMO. Just a solid block of grey with red highlights.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Something about mecha G felt off. I didn’t like it. It was almost too… skeletal, if that makes any sense?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honestly I was mostly disappointed that Mecha G wearing a Godzilla disguise wasn't the one causing havoc. I really wanted full cheese and burning off the Godzilla skin to reveal the robot underneath.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Honestly I was mostly disappointed that Mecha G wearing a Godzilla disguise wasn't the one causing havoc. I really wanted full cheese and burning off the Godzilla skin to reveal the robot underneath.

Ugh yes.

And then the design would have been better because it was so skeletal. Big terminator vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
MechaG had a lovely boxy design, I hated it. It's the 80s Volvo of MechaGs.

There's absolutely no excuse for badly designed mecha in any mass media any more, there's a huge back catalogue of decades of mech designs out there but it feels like they weren't aware of any of the past or present designers who know their stuff and they got some guy who'd never seen any mecha before to try and come up with something from scratch. I guess they could argue that Apex didn't know what they were doing and just cobbled together a giant robot as best as they could and they wanted the design to reflect that but "We made it ugly on purpose!" is a lovely production decision.