Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Phasing is really good, but I suppose flickering until next upkeep fills the same niche with the added bonus of doing cool things with ETBs and LTBs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:vince:

Tainen posted:

Well there you go

That's an interesting change.

This is a really good creature! Effectively a 5/5 flier for 6 that exiles a dude and provides mild hate against recursion.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That vampire seems like something you'll put in a lot of not-vampire decks and get some mild synergy from at worst. More incidental exile is nice.

GeneX posted:

Phasing is really good, but I suppose flickering until next upkeep fills the same niche with the added bonus of doing cool things with ETBs and LTBs
Honestly phasing offers a lower power effect that allows you to keep people from abusing etb/ltb triggers. It's unfortunate they don't use it more, since everything needs to be balanced between protection and trigger benefits. There's so much etb in commander it's insane.

Hopefully the rules being cleaned up leads to it seeing more use in later products.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I wonder if this is a plant and return to Dominaria includes phasing. Mirage was one of my all time favorite sets, and I'd be curious to see what phasing would look like in the modern era, especially since it was not well understood back when it was released, to say the least.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Spiderdrake posted:

That vampire seems like something you'll put in a lot of not-vampire decks and get some mild synergy from at worst. More incidental exile is nice.
Honestly phasing offers a lower power effect that allows you to keep people from abusing etb/ltb triggers. It's unfortunate they don't use it more, since everything needs to be balanced between protection and trigger benefits. There's so much etb in commander it's insane.

Hopefully the rules being cleaned up leads to it seeing more use in later products.

Phasing out is also pretty elegant, in a way that phasing on a card isn't. "These permanents don't exist until your next untap step, where they phase in right before you choose which permanents to untap".

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You can probably template out potential rules nightmares with future phasing and auras with a line like "phase out target X and any permanents attached to it"

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/aagaming5/status/895375361814515713

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I'm gonna call her Inalla, Wizard Doubler, if no one minds.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/sarahceliann/status/895372925922156544

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

I wonder why 7 is the magic number

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

80s James Hetfield posted:

3 activations to kill an opponent?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

GeneX posted:

Most of the time you are going to be playing with 40 life.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

Commander damage is just combat damage, not loss of life from an ability.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so cats, dragons, vampires and wizards?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are a lot of good, cheap wizards with ETB effects that get better with this commander.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Shortest Path posted:

There are a lot of good, cheap wizards with ETB effects that get better with this commander.

Just had one of my friends tell me "the only good wizards are legendary besides Snapcaster Mage"

I then told him various examples, such as Puppeteer Clique, and Dragon Mage, or Dualcaster Mage, or Magus of the Will, or Archeomancer.

Then he's like "well if you were going to run her you'd have to be really wizard heavy"

:thunk:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why would it even matter if they're legendary? A bunch of them are ETB, aren't they, like Venser or Clique? Did the legend rules change again, I thought you selected one to keep alive under current rules?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Count Bleck posted:

Just had one of my friends tell me "the only good wizards are legendary besides Snapcaster Mage"

I then told him various examples, such as Puppeteer Clique, and Dragon Mage, or Dualcaster Mage, or Magus of the Will, or Archeomancer.

Then he's like "well if you were going to run her you'd have to be really wizard heavy"

Trinket/Treasure mage are the ones that spring to mind for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alright, Magic thread. Calling your bluff on being the new Brewhaus. Working on my budget Hapatra deck.

Snakes and Scarabs
Link to deck @ TappedOut.net
1x Aether Hub
4x Ammit Eternal
1x Blooming Marsh
4x Channeler Initiate
3x Crocodile of the Crossing
3x Defiant Greatmaw
2x Desert of the Glorified
2x Desert of the Indomitable
3x Driven / Despair
4x Exemplar of Strength
8x Forest
3x Grind / Dust
3x Hapatra's Mark
4x Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons
3x Ifnir Deadlands
4x Nest of Scarabs
2x Soulstinger
6x Swamp

Sideboard
3x Banewhip Punisher
1x Crocodile of the Crossing
1x Hapatra's Mark
3x Natural State
3x Never
1x Soulstinger
3x Stinging Shot

Ideally, I'd like to get more Aether Hubs and/or Blooming Marshes, but they're still kinda pricey, so that's a work in process.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

uPen posted:

Trinket/Treasure mage are the ones that spring to mind for me.

Also Trophy Mage.

Spiderdrake posted:

Why would it even matter if they're legendary? A bunch of them are ETB, aren't they, like Venser or Clique? Did the legend rules change again, I thought you selected one to keep alive under current rules?

Venser was also one of my suggestions, because you still get the trigger from Venser entering and he's like

But he just dies.

????????

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Venser was also one of my suggestions, because you still get the trigger from Venser entering and he's like
Does he? I thought you could stack it so he bounces himself while the clone trigger is on the stack, then clone him and a get hasted 2/2 with the bounce trigger in tow?

Man, I might put urza's incubator into a wizard deck. Weird.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

80s James Hetfield posted:

She's grixis like Bolas who cares about 7's and the general cultural significance of seven would be my guesses.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

Dark Confidant is a wizard.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Wizard commander looks like the best one by far.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shadow225 posted:

Wizard commander looks like the best one by far.

Of the ones with Eminence or in general?

Because Mathas also looks Really Good.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I will buy the wizard deck if there's a Supreme Inquisitor in it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Commander damage is just combat damage, not loss of life from an ability.

Huh, I always assumed it was all life loss and damage from a commander. Makes my friend's brion deck much less obnoxious, I suppose.

E: permanent, unremovable flameshadow conjuring wizard seems disgusting and I want to play her with panharmonicon

Jen X fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 9, 2017

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Of the ones with Eminence or in general?

Because Mathas also looks Really Good.

I'll say in general, though I meant Eminence.

Mathas doesn't strike me as great. 3/3 with Menace that provides some political action. What good is the bounty if the creature isn't going to be killed anyway? Even if you are the one who killed it, you trade a card for a card...while going down in card advantage at a 4 person table. I'd rather play Queen Marchesa.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shadow225 posted:

I'll say in general, though I meant Eminence.

Mathas doesn't strike me as great. 3/3 with Menace that provides some political action. What good is the bounty if the creature isn't going to be killed anyway? Even if you are the one who killed it, you trade a card for a card...while going down in card advantage at a 4 person table. I'd rather play Queen Marchesa.

You don't need to be the one who killed the creature to gain the life and draw the card, it's all opponents of the controller of the creature with the bounty counter on it.

So basically, you get to play politics with him, directing removal wherever is convenient for you.

Goad is also a great enabler for Mathas, and we just got a "goad every creature you don't control" spell

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 9, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mwwwaaaahahahahahahahahahahah!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Are all 5 promos in Sept going to be Fatal Push?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Why

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Reserve list.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hmm what's a good land to replace Horizon Canopy in Modern mono-white Death and Taxes?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thisuck posted:

Hmm what's a good land to replace Horizon Canopy in Modern mono-white Death and Taxes?

Horizon Canopy.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Thisuck posted:

Another plains. There is no good replacement for it, assuming you already have all the other utility lands.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

HMMMM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yeah. I saw that, too. :lol:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The secondary market is a blight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Horizon Canopy.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Another plains. There is no good replacement for it, assuming you already have all the other utility lands.

Yeah I put in the other ones that I had, I'm thinking about tossing in more Flagstones of Trokir for I don't know what.