Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

It's true, I updated my online dating profiles to be "I have four-digit hours in multiple idle games" and haven't stopped getting laid since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
All my hobbies attract men instead. What am I doing wrong?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Their codes are getting more efficient. "Blackrock" is only one more syllable than

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It's nice of the global illuminati to follow state laws so they don't get fined, which would clearly cripple whatever the goal of chemtrails is supposed to be

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Serperoth posted:

It's true, I updated my online dating profiles to be "I have four-digit hours in multiple idle games" and haven't stopped getting laid since.

What is an “idle game”?

Also every dude knows that you hide your embarrassing hobbies someplace women won’t see when they come to your place. You wait a little until you’ve been dating to show them your little mans. That’s what I did with my warhammer figures and I’ve been married to that woman for 20 years now

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure how widespread it is but I do remember even way back when I used to be actively into it all the girls would apparently have Tyranids.

My mum thought Orks looked cute.

Bitches love swarms

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Scratch Monkey posted:

What is an “idle game”?

Also every dude knows that you hide your embarrassing hobbies someplace women won’t see when they come to your place. You wait a little until you’ve been dating to show them your little mans. That’s what I did with my warhammer figures and I’ve been married to that woman for 20 years now

Cookie clicker type games. Number go up with or without the player

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Can't identify. I definitely own more warhammers than my boyfriend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still hope to see one of those little house things you made but khorne themed.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

JK is really taking Meltdown May seriously

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

kazil posted:

It'll more likely be a Linehan-like slow, sad wet fart like a very small deflating balloon.

Runcible Cat has a new favorite as of 14:00 on May 13, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

I still hope to see one of those little house things you made but khorne themed.

...poo poo that's a good idea.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

kazil posted:

Love when any kind of bigot who's not presently talking about racism goes "oh yeah well what if this discussion was about black people and ____?" and just spit out their most naked racism on the topic, how does she think this reflects well on her?
It's been said many times but goddamn, terfbrain is an amazing kind of poison. As soon as anyone goes terf it becomes 100% of their life.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

What is an “idle game”?

There's a few different kinds, but generally it's things like Cookie Clicker, Realm Grinder, NGU Idle (goon-made), Increlution, Antimatter Galaxies etc. Often involve making some kind of setup that generates you something (gold etc) and iterating on that with both further development (buying producers/upgrades in Cookie Clicker for example), and some kind of meta progression (ascension is a frequent term).

Number going up, generally, with the player input being more in the setup/build/command, rather than the moment to moment "micro"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Ngl sounds boring

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is why it is called an "idle" game, you do not actively engage in playing it, it plays itself and you occasionally go back and make a couple of tweaks every so often.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why don't they just install a bitcoin miner and then do something else

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because the genre predates bitcoin and it isn't supposed to use absurd amounts of power.

It's like gardening, you don't stand and stare at the plant to make it grow harder, you just occasionally do your maintenence tasks and the plant grows over time.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

OwlFancier posted:

Because the genre predates bitcoin and it isn't supposed to use absurd amounts of power.

It's like gardening, you don't stand and stare at the plant to make it grow harder, you just occasionally do your maintenence tasks and the plant grows over time.

I really wish I’d thought of this metaphor to explain the appeal when I was talking to my partner about it because they do love gardening. Yeah it’s basically that combined with clear numbers and consistent mathematical formulas

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
idle games dont burn large amounts of hydrocarbons and arent used for crime, like really bad crime like CSAM level stuff. oh also somehow idle game fans are less cringe than coinerz and techbros.

also you could just "play" EVE.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Serperoth posted:

There's a few different kinds, but generally it's things like Cookie Clicker, Realm Grinder, NGU Idle (goon-made), Increlution, Antimatter Galaxies etc. Often involve making some kind of setup that generates you something (gold etc) and iterating on that with both further development (buying producers/upgrades in Cookie Clicker for example), and some kind of meta progression (ascension is a frequent term).

Number going up, generally, with the player input being more in the setup/build/command, rather than the moment to moment "micro"

I've always liked how Progress Quest takes this to its natural conclusion and takes no input whatsoever from the player. You just start the game and then it plays itself.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

PhazonLink posted:

also you could just "play" EVE.

Dont you put that curse on people

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/its_eniebomedov/status/1789970963431391362

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

loving gamers

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gamer with a hard R

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Hard-R gamer

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Dabir posted:

Gamer with a hard R

You PS5er!!!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That tweet is like one of those posts that Fragmaster would read out loud all those years ago

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Does this mean I can finally play Demons Souls and Bloodborne on PC?

Please?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Please?

Excuse me but that’s cultural appropriation.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Please?

Sorry but those aren't Square-Enix

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

kazil posted:

loving gamers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
Do not gently caress the gamers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Please?

You've been able to for years though?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Len posted:

You've been able to for years though?

Do they not run like poo poo on emulators anymore?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Do they not run like poo poo on emulators anymore?

They're officially playable via cloud streaming on PC and have been for years

It's about as on PC as the Re2 and 3 remakes are Switch only at least you aren't paying $60 and it's instead on a subscription service

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at playing bloodborne with even 10ms of input delay

Data Graham posted:

Why don't they just install a bitcoin miner and then do something else

shut up Graham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol at playing bloodborne with even 10ms of input delay

Oh I didn't say it was a good solution, but that's a monkey paw curls moment. They didn't say "I want it ported to pc" just that they wanted to play it on pc