Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Len posted:

They're officially playable via cloud streaming on PC and have been for years

It's about as on PC as the Re2 and 3 remakes are Switch only at least you aren't paying $60 and it's instead on a subscription service

Not sure what you're saying here, RE2 and 3 are on Steam right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They mean that RE2&3 are on Switch, but it's a dumb streaming thing and not running native. You still need to "buy" them for like $60 or whatever

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Veotax posted:

They mean that RE2&3 are on Switch, but it's a dumb streaming thing and not running native. You still need to "buy" them for like $60 or whatever

Yeah it's this. I was wrong it's only $30/40 to buy the cloud only versions

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/resident-evil-2-cloud-switch/

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/resident-evil-3-cloud-switch/

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Video games were a mistake.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wish we could discriminate against gamers

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
gaymers

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

who's stopping you

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I can’t believe because I play video games that I:

-can’t live in the same neighborhood
-can’t get a loan or other financial assistance and benefits
-can’t attend higher educational institutions
-can’t share the same spaces in public locations
-can’t attain the same jobs despite qualifications
-can’t enjoy the same healthcare quality
-can’t receive the same legal protections
-et.al.

…in comparison to people who don’t play games.

Outrageous!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/MarLife_/status/1790089233970950494?t=mf_jq0pUAqJRoQ6aX0LvRw&s=19

:downs:

deoju posted:

Video games were a mistake.

MadMaxThatsBaitMeme.jpg

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 21:30 on May 13, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

OwlFancier posted:

Because the genre predates bitcoin and it isn't supposed to use absurd amounts of power.

It's like gardening, you don't stand and stare at the plant to make it grow harder, you just occasionally do your maintenence tasks and the plant grows over time.
Croakoloco is a delight, and it has a demo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the only idle game I enjoyed was universal paperclips, which you can play in your browser.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

I've always liked how Progress Quest takes this to its natural conclusion and takes no input whatsoever from the player. You just start the game and then it plays itself.

I liked Progress Quest, and yeah IIRC it predates idle games as we know them now.

OwlFancier posted:

Because the genre predates bitcoin and it isn't supposed to use absurd amounts of power.

It's like gardening, you don't stand and stare at the plant to make it grow harder, you just occasionally do your maintenence tasks and the plant grows over time.

This is actually a really good analogy, I hadn't thought of that. It's how I play Melvor (which has a gardening minigame even). Set course for a task, be doing that task, check in every few hours to make adjustments, finish other tasks that are shorter, change of pace, make sure it's still optimal, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's an element of a lot of games. City builders, some strategy games, management games. A lot of them have elements of setting things up and then watching how the simulation makes something out of it. Idle games are just generally quite simple and on the low interaction end of it, but it's not an alien concept even in other games.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

steinrokkan posted:

you can, theyre not a protected class

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
gamerism is cool & legal

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve always thought of idle games as a satire of “proper” games. All video games are just more or less sophisticated ways of tricking you into thinking you’re doing something meaningful to effect the outcome of the thing; they’re all essentially the same as cookie clicker, just with a higher degree of illusory control

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I think the only idle game I enjoyed was universal paperclips, which you can play in your browser.

This is the game that got my wife into the genre and she now has at least 4 other "number go up fast" games on her phone. She loves them. She's the head engineer at the plant where she works and when she comes home she just wants as little brain activity as possible and these games really help her relax

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Veotax posted:

Ah, I got it backward, mentally, somehow.

I think KH I + II does the same thing on the Switch.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Scientastic posted:

I’ve always thought of idle games as a satire of “proper” games. All video games are just more or less sophisticated ways of tricking you into thinking you’re doing something meaningful to effect the outcome of the thing; they’re all essentially the same as cookie clicker, just with a higher degree of illusory control

That's Progress Quest, but the rest do interesting stuff that diverge from CC.

Antimatter Galaxies has you doing exponential stuff (thing that makes thing2s and they make thing3s and so on, until the last one which is the final producer), Melvor Idle is basically Runescape but without all the clicking (nothing like CC at all tbh).

Not sure what you mean about meaningfully affecting the outcome, for any game. If I have Mario just sit after stomping the goomba in 1-1, that's affecting the outcome, same as how I can choose to stack modifiers in Melvor vs just going at it as-is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I find this harder to read than that post that was all about doing non binary rape play written in two letter acronyms

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Scientastic posted:

I do have a meaningful impact on the results of videogames. If I am bad I lose, if I am good at videogames I win.

With clicker/incremental games, yeah sure. It's theoretically possible to "beat" them by just randomly clicking buttons every now and then, but instead of the intended experience taking say a month, it could take you years.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Scientastic posted:

Vampire Survivors and MMOs feel equally disgusting to me in regards to the transparency of time wasted, so I can't play them. Oddly, idle games feel less gross, probably because they require no actual attention and can occupy a 2nd screen.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

so when you waste time, you have to not know youre wasting time?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
The dopamine hit or artistic vision has to outweigh the sense of "I should be doing something else" now that I'm in my 30s. I wouldn't judge others for their choices but those in particular just feel gross to me. Hell, I have very fond memories of grinding skills in runescape as a teen that I cherish, I just can't do it now.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That’s why I almost exclusively play single player games in my 30s. There’s virtually no enjoyment in trying to beat 16 year olds who do nothing but play CS all day.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Multiplayer PvE or single player games are about all I have the free time + mental bandwidth to handle except for occasional LAN parties where all the other geriatrics can try to reclaim our misspent youth. Thus is our late 30s/early 40s.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i exclusively play rdr2 as an escape fantasy as of late.

god how id love to live in the woods and die of tb

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

My Spirit Otter posted:

i exclusively play rdr2 as an escape fantasy as of late.

god how id love to live in the woods and die of tb

(clenching a piece of hardtack) another thing vaccines have taken from us

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the last multiplayer games I really played were TF2 and GTA online. The former is a good enough community and a good enough game that it still mostly held up, but gtao was entirely a game of loading a private server by myself and just playing the content from online. Occasionally I'd do nights with a bunch of other goons doing silly races but even then it was kinda not great.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

It's true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGUjkvqkmQI

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Scientastic posted:

If I can't kill a boss in Baldur's Gate 3 I'm either stuck replaying it or I have to put some thought into it and come up with a creative solution. If I do nothing in Cookie Clicker I'll still eventually make a billion cookies.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The biggest issue with idle games for me is that they very rarely hit that sweet spot where you’re neither too busy nor waiting too long. Like I was playing one where the beginning had a bunch to do, then the rest of the game required waiting like a day or two for anything else to happen. And on the other end is like, Realm Grinder, which alternates between times where you’re sitting and waiting for days for something to happen, or you’re actively resetting and loading builds to run for five minutes before doing it again, so you’re having to be actively engaged but for chunks of time where it’s hard to do anything else. Neither of those is really ideal!

My Spirit Otter posted:

so when you waste time, you have to not know youre wasting time?

Are you wasting time if you’re doing whatever you want while a game plays itself for you?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Idle games take out the chance of failure which makes them vastly inferior to real games. Without a chance to compare your flaws to your peers and beat yourself up about not being able to beat the CPU Captain Falcon and unlock him while lying awake staring at your ceiling in your bed what's the point?

Success is inevitable with idle games.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

I can’t believe because I play video games that I:

-can’t live in the same neighborhood
-can’t get a loan or other financial assistance and benefits
-can’t attend higher educational institutions
-can’t share the same spaces in public locations
-can’t attain the same jobs despite qualifications
-can’t enjoy the same healthcare quality
-can’t receive the same legal protections
-et.al.

…in comparison to people who don’t play games.

Outrageous!

You can if you shower

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol at playing bloodborne with even 10ms of input delay

I played and beat Bloodborne on a TV without a "game mode." It was kinda hard

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Idle games take out the chance of failure which makes them vastly inferior to real games.

Dear Nintendo: YOUR COCKSUCKING PRODUCT HAS REDUCED ME TO A GIBBERING MAN-APE WHOSE ONLY RESORT TO DEALING WITH THE ALMIGHTY loving GRIEF IT’S BESTOWED UPON ME IS TO SCREAM AND HURT MYSELF

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Good idle games are basically a mix of entertaining fidget toy and optimisation challenge, given how many revolve around managing bars and/or resources and unlocking bigger and better things.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Can I get a translation?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Fishstick posted:

Can I get a translation?

"My conception of gender roles has been twisted by a group of self-radicalizing terminally online weirdos and I should probably touch grass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think stud and fem are different lesbian presentations in that context?