Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

comes along bort posted:

More like a single cutaway nylon string. But yeah everyone should know a couple Jerry Reed tunes. Dude had a unique style.

Probably posted this before this is like a master class in hillbilly technique. Watch for Chet Atkins busting out some sweep arpeggios with a thumb pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

The Chet Atkins Super Lick TM is pro as gently caress

E: Even if Les Paul and Django did it first, whatever

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So time gets away from me at times out of circumstance. Such is the case with Rocksmith. Last night was the first time I spent any meaningful time with it since... um... Thanksgiving? Oi... I'd swapped my strings on Sunday to the constant tension 9's I picked up last week for testing, and last night was the first time I really got to play on them. As I warmed up they felt plinky plinky, but the tone was ok through the amp (minor bass loss).

I then waded into Rocksmith. I did learn-a-song for about 15 mins just to get my rock star on, but then I switched to session mode and totally lost track of time. "Epic" backing band, 100 bpm, A Dorian, Progressive changes. Once I settled in it had me switching from the A Dorian root up into E Phrygian, Bb Dorian, F Phrygian and two other chords I don't remember offhand and I just rolled with it. It felt freaking awesome to see all the modal work I've been hammering over and over and over start to take shape melodically. I noticed things getting sloppy, looked up and an hour and a half had gone by. My left forearm was shot, proof that my bass chops are years removed.

Again, it's no substitute for a guitar teacher or actually playing with people but it is a fantastic practice tool.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
It really does make practice "fun" when you don't feel like it.

On a separate note, I just bought some strap locks and the hole that's already been made for the button I currently have is too big for the new locks. What do you guys do in this case?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

spamman posted:

It really does make practice "fun" when you don't feel like it.

On a separate note, I just bought some strap locks and the hole that's already been made for the button I currently have is too big for the new locks. What do you guys do in this case?
Insert toothpicks and wood glue.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Get bigger screws?

iostream.h posted:

It may sound jank as all hell, but it works wonders on anything that needs a woodscrew to stay solid in it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I hit my 1k savings point so I am shopping around for a guitar around that price or less. I've never tried to purchase a guitar at this price point before so I'm really unsure how to go about it. Any general advice, maybe some experience on whether you prefer used or new?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

NTT posted:

I hit my 1k savings point so I am shopping around for a guitar around that price or less. I've never tried to purchase a guitar at this price point before so I'm really unsure how to go about it. Any general advice, maybe some experience on whether you prefer used or new?

You will get a better deal on something used.

If you are buying brand new and online, I suggest someplace like Musicians Friend, as they have a 30 day trial window where they will take it back no questions asked and pay for the return shipping.

If you find a good online deal on a shady website, guitar center will price match it if you email their customer support, and you can return it to any guitar center store in person if you don't like it within like 14 days or something like that.

Also if you want a Gibson, wait until around the end of November/December as the current year models go on huge blowout sales on most big online sites. You can get a SG or a lowewr end Les Paul for well under 1k.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

NTT posted:

As Dirt says, you'll get more guitar for the money going used, and if you're spending real money on an instrument, it's a really good idea to try to audition it (or the same model if you're buying new production). I'm only going to mention this because up-to-$1000 is right in price range of most of their models, but try and find a dealer that carries Reverends. I auditioned a few in Chicago over the weekend, and :drat: I almost walked out with a Flatroc before I stumbled upon an amp deal I couldn't pass up. Absolutely beautifully made and playing guitars.

edit: I'm 99% sure I'm going to own one within a year. I literally can't stop thinking about that Flatroc.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

NTT posted:

What do you normally like to play?

I would second buying used.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/

Not affiliated with either site but TheGearPage.net and MyLesPaul.com have forums with regular sellers that have good feedback. I've gotten some pretty solid deals through the market there. Good sellers will have feedback readily available.

Or maybe just get a Di Pinto. :P

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 26, 2014

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

iostream.h posted:

pointlessone posted:

Get bigger screws?

It may sound jank as all hell, but it works wonders on anything that needs a woodscrew to stay solid in it.

I think I used matchsticks to fix a loose table leg once. Never occurred to me to do it here. Sweet.

Can't use a bigger screw because the lock itself won't work.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

Also if you want a Gibson, wait until around the end of November/December as the current year models go on huge blowout sales on most big online sites. You can get a SG or a lowewr end Les Paul for well under 1k.

Also if you want a Gibson, buy an Edwards/Burny/Tokai/etc. You'll be far happier in the long run.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Also if you want a Gibson, buy an Edwards/Burny/Tokai/etc. You'll be far happier in the long run.

Are there any actual store websites you can order those copies from that's not eBay?

I've looked a few times, never found anything good. Edwards makes some cool looking stuff.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Dirt posted:

Are there any actual store websites you can order those copies from that's not eBay?

I've looked a few times, never found anything good. Edwards makes some cool looking stuff.

http://rockin.co.jp/

http://guitarsjapan.com/

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/eng/

You can order Bacchus directly from them. I think you can buy Burny directly from Fernandes as well.

Edwards are great but usually start around 800 bucks, and for a hundred or so more you can usually find a 100% CIJ guitar. Edwards bodies are created in China at an ESP run plant. Great quality but that matters to some folks.

Japanese guitars are great. Currently trying to talk a guy into selling me his 3pup Greco SG custom. He got to it before I could. :P

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 26, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Bullshit, buy what makes you happy, just realize that there's no inherent 'mojo' because the headstock says 'Gibson' on it.

I swear to Christ the knee-jerk anti-name sentiment here is as tiring as the rampant fanboyism over on TGP.

All of the above make fantastic instruments and they've all made some stinkers.
Find one you like and can afford and buy it because you like it, for whatever reason.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

comes along bort posted:

Unless you buy it at year-end clearance. And Min-e-tune kicks rear end.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iostream.h posted:

Bullshit, buy what makes you happy, just realize that there's no inherent 'mojo' because the headstock says 'Gibson' on it.

I swear to Christ the knee-jerk anti-name sentiment here is as tiring as the rampant fanboyism over on TGP.

It's okay grampa, the nurse will be along shortly with your Seroquel.;)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

iostream.h posted:

For $1000 you'll get a better instrument from the Japanese makers.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Remulak posted:

Unless you buy it at year-end clearance or used. And Min-e-tune kicks rear end.
Bolded my edit.

Seriously, unless it's on one hell of a closeout or an 'oh gently caress I have to have that now' kind of thing there's zero reason to buy new.

comes along bort posted:

It's okay grampa, the nurse will be along shortly with your Seroquel.;)
It's ok bro, I'm used to having to wait on her to finish delivering your Luvox, no biggie, I'll just hang out over here enjoying playing instead of obsessing over what name is or isn't on my headstock and whatever cred it lends or not. ;)

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

That's a blanket statement man.
If you're talking new v/s new, then, in general you're right.

However, look at the PRS SE line, sub-$1k guitars that are FANTASTIC quality (and I'm honestly not sure where to list them for this discussion, since it's a US company but the SE are made in Korea), Gibson has the Melody Makers, Fender has their entry-level Strat, all of which are really good guitars. Like I said earlier, I've played as many stinker Japanese guitars as I've played US guitars. Any time you have the human element in production there's BOUND to be some variance.

Like I've said often, too: Instead of obsessing over the name on the headstock, pick the damned thing up, play it, see if you like it or not and if it's in your budget and worth it to you, buy the drat thing whether it's a Gibson logo inlaid with the bones of virgin saints or a Tonka with a Crayola logo.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 26, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How many Gibson SGs do you own again?

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
There's good reason to not buy Gibson that has nothing to do with the quality of the guitar (company is run by assholes).

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gibson-Guitar-Reviews-E6869.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Guitar_Corporation#Recent_history

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Sockington posted:

How many Gibson SGs do you own again?

I've had several Gibsons, Tokai, and Bacchus LPs and SGs. Trying to buy a Greco currently.

quote:

Like I've said often, too: Instead of obsessing over the name on the headstock, pick the damned thing up, play it, see if you like it or not and if it's in your budget and worth it to you, buy the drat thing whether it's a Gibson logo inlaid with the bones of virgin saints or a Tonka with a Crayola logo.

It's not a "name on the headstock" issue, but a quality issue. It wasn't said but I'm thinking something specific. The cheapest Les Paul that Gibson offers with the traditional appointments of body/neck binding and having the body finished is the Les Paul Traditional for $1900 bucks. Everything under that is either the Studio or the "satin" guitars. Japanese makers can provide a Les Paul guitar with the traditional appointments for a more reasonable price.

Now, if NTT wants a Gibson specifically and doesn't care about binding or finish, then it's a moot point. But if he wants a Les Paul, then there are just other options that may be what he wants for a better price.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Do any of these Japanese guys make an ES-175?

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 26, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

40 OZ posted:

Do any of these Japanese guys make an ES-175?

None at the moment but they have. Joe Pass played an Ibanez 175 copy when touring outside the US.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, frankly. I started on a piece of poo poo 120 squier, bought a Dean Vendetta, and now am currently playing on a Schecter C-7. I've never played a guitar worth more than 5 or 6 hundred dollars (I don't count touching nicer guitars at a store like GC because they usually aren't set up well at all and the strings are gross from being touched daily by a bunch of strangers). I've been trying to play really gainy metal for a while, and I kind of want to pursue a super strat like an LTD or maybe a more twangy telecaster body. Sell me on the Les Paul though; I know the bodies are pretty big and heavy compared to other models of guitar.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I've had several Gibsons, Tokai, and Bacchus LPs and SGs. Trying to buy a Greco currently.

It's not a "name on the headstock" issue, but a quality issue. It wasn't said but I'm thinking something specific. The cheapest Les Paul that Gibson offers with the traditional appointments of body/neck binding and having the body finished is the Les Paul Traditional for $1900 bucks. Everything under that is either the Studio or the "satin" guitars. Japanese makers can provide a Les Paul guitar with the traditional appointments for a more reasonable price.

Now, if NTT wants a Gibson specifically and doesn't care about binding or finish, then it's a moot point. But if he wants a Les Paul, then there are just other options that may be what he wants for a better price.
But the issue is a 'better' guitar and the binding and finish have nothing to do with that. 'Prettier', sure, but 'better'?

Most of the Asian LP's I've seen have had REALLY substandard tuners, hardware and pickups/pots compared to the basic LP Studio which, to me at least, says they're NOT better. Those things don't matter to everyone tho'. Part of the value I place on a guitar is being able to roll the volume/tone down in the middle of a song with the amp cooking through the mains and not having any scratchiness or dropouts and having linear, predictable control. Not having pickups going microphonic if I stand or turn the wrong way is another huge issue with cheaper electronics. I don't think I need to explain the need for tuning stability.

By the time you pick up an Asian LP (and I'm not limiting them to Japan because I've seen some really nice stuff coming out of Korea), change the tuners, bridge posts (while I've never experienced a bent post on a Gibson I HAVE seen some of the cheaper ones fold in half) and pickups/pots to make it gig ready, I'm EASILY at the cost of a used LP Std (which has the appointments you mentioned). Gibson's a lovely, lovely company and their QC is spotty at best, but I don't spend much time worrying about buying one because for the most part, I know what to expect and what I'm getting.

If NTT wants a Les Paul and he's under a strict budget he needs to buy used or a new LP Studio, because they're the same thing as the rest of the lineup. If, however, he just wants a single cut, mahogany bodied/maple capped 2 hum bucker blahblah AND wants it to be fancy AND stick to his budget, yeah, he'd be better served with a copy from a Japanese maker (and I'd recommend the LTD LP copies, I played a friend's at their gig recently and it was GREAT).

I'm not trying to argue that Gibson's a good company, or that LP's are touched by God, Jimmy Page and Slash before they leave the production line, but it's just silly to say 'LP's with Gibson on the headstock suck just go buy any random Asian copy and you'll be happier'.

And hell, bear in mind, I'm not being hypocritical here. As much as I value the utility of whatever guitar I've got I'll be the first to admit that hell yes, I bought two of my LP's because dammit, they're translucent purple and they're loving pretty. :colbert:

And, as much as I loving HATE and despise this aspect of it, the truth is, if you're a studio guitarist there ARE a lot of places that want you to show up with a 'Gibson Les Paul' or 'Fender Strat', not a copy or a knockoff, but what they specify. If they're signing your check you do what they want, show up with the gear they want and you don't waste time sperging about how your Tokai is superior to the Gibson. They don't care and don't want to hear the help's opinions on their project. God forbid you show up with a knockoff and have ANY sort of technical problem, whether it's related to the quality or not. Perception, reality and all that.

NTT posted:

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, frankly. I started on a piece of poo poo 120 squier, bought a Dean Vendetta, and now am currently playing on a Schecter C-7. I've never played a guitar worth more than 5 or 6 hundred dollars (I don't count touching nicer guitars at a store like GC because they usually aren't set up well at all and the strings are gross from being touched daily by a bunch of strangers). I've been trying to play really gainy metal for a while, and I kind of want to pursue a super strat like an LTD or maybe a more twangy telecaster body. Sell me on the Les Paul though; I know the bodies are pretty big and heavy compared to other models of guitar.
If you're seriously looking at a guitar at GC, ask them to change the strings, they'll do it, no issues (that I've ever encountered and I know other people do the same).

I can't sell you on a LP, you either dig 'em or you don't, they've got a different scale length than Strats which lends a different feel, as does the bridge. I like being able to either anchor my palm on the bridge for fast galloping runs or if I'm in a mood being able to beat the piss out of it without knocking anything around.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to just go PLAY a bunch.

Btw, if you're interested in trying a bunch out at GC without the hassle of having them change strings, saturate a bit of 0000 steel wool with some WD40, wipe the strings down a few times with it before you play, it'll at least shine 'em up a bit to give you an idea of how the guitar in question plays.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Mini filtertrons:

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

NTT posted:

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, frankly.

Are you trying to self-induce GAS?

If there is nothing in particular you want to buy, then maybe just hang on to your money. That's perfectly fine.

You'll run into something that blows your skirt up, eventually.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 26, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

40 OZ posted:

If there is nothing in particular you want to buy, then maybe just hang on to your money. That's perfectly fine.

This is always the best advice.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

40 OZ posted:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

40 OZ posted:

You'll run into something that blows your skirt up, eventually.
Quoted BOTH parts. I waited long enough and that USA jag I was lusting over turned up an hour away. Then I sold it at a profit because I discovered it wasn't really what I wanted/needed.....

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

NTT posted:

I've been trying to play really gainy metal for a while, and I kind of want to pursue a super strat like an LTD or maybe a more twangy telecaster body.

I agree with saving your money for the time being, but if you're hell bent on spending the full kitty, at that price point you could investigate used G&L guitars. I don't own one, but I'm a fan.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Or just get an 80s Kramer. Can usually get those cheap.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Speaking of Japanese guitars, I traded a spare baritone neck for this during the forums outage (pics are from the seller)

My evaluation of it?

Seriously, it makes a killer sound with my copper slide, I just have to learn to be competent at slide.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

TopherCStone posted:

Speaking of Japanese guitars, I traded a spare baritone neck for this during the forums outage (pics are from the seller)

My evaluation of it?

Seriously, it makes a killer sound with my copper slide, I just have to learn to be competent at slide.

I use a lovely Kingston labeled Tiesco for slide, sounds amazing.

Also is that a Gene Ween sticker?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TopherCStone posted:

My evaluation of it?

i approve of the carnikcon rating system

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
I have a classical guitar that I acquired for free many years ago, but I just recently became interested in learning to play. It's a Euro, model EU950 and I haven't been able to find any sort of info on it online other than a single Ebay listing. It doesn't appear to be high quality, but it sounds okay I guess.

I've been having trouble playing it because I can't figure out how to hold it comfortably. I feel like my boobs are in the way or my arms are too short. If I try to mash the guitar close against my chest, my strumming arm has to do an extreme reach around at an awkward angle but if I try to rest my boob on top of the guitar then the back edge of the guitar digs into my thigh really bad. So far, I've been playing it by resting it across my lap with the strings facing up and away from me slightly which isn't really ideal.

Is there a better way to hold my guitar or is it just too big/wide for me?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

candywife posted:

I have a classical guitar that I acquired for free many years ago, but I just recently became interested in learning to play. It's a Euro, model EU950 and I haven't been able to find any sort of info on it online other than a single Ebay listing. It doesn't appear to be high quality, but it sounds okay I guess.

I've been having trouble playing it because I can't figure out how to hold it comfortably. I feel like my boobs are in the way or my arms are too short. If I try to mash the guitar close against my chest, my strumming arm has to do an extreme reach around at an awkward angle but if I try to rest my boob on top of the guitar then the back edge of the guitar digs into my thigh really bad. So far, I've been playing it by resting it across my lap with the strings facing up and away from me slightly which isn't really ideal.

Is there a better way to hold my guitar or is it just too big/wide for me?

Are you right handed?

Set it on your left leg, with the body resting between your two legs. Angle it however it is comfortable.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I did a little experimenting at Guitar Center and tried out a lot of different stuff. I'm not sure I 'get' Les Pauls, but they were certainly very heavy and had good sustain! I saw a Music Man Ball Family Reserve for 1800+200 case brand new which seemed kind of low as poo poo considering that the things sell for 4300 retail http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/john-petrucci-bfr.html

My budget has room for that Music Man, and I'm strongly considering going back up there tomorrow and taking another look at the JP BFR again. What are the thread's experiences with these Music Mans, and is 2k a good asking price for one? FWIW My extended budget was 2500, but I was limiting myself to 1000 unless I really fell for something, and this Music Man is tempting the poo poo out of me for 900 off the 2.9k sticker.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Are you right handed?

Set it on your left leg, with the body resting between your two legs. Angle it however it is comfortable.

I tried that, but like I said, the edge of the guitar either digs into my thigh really hard if I try to hold it under my boobs or if I try to hold it over them the guitar is shoved out at a weird angle where it's uncomfortable for my strumming arm because I have to bend my wrist at an extreme carpal-tunnel causing angle to get at the strings.
It just doesn't feel ergonomic to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you can deal with the hilarious comedy stylings you might get some good suggestions in here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=478117

Seems like it really depends on the person and the guitar, just finding that comfortable spot. You might want to look at the classical position, where you end up with the guitar tilted and more out of the way
http://www.acousticguitar.com/How-To/Assume-the-Classical-Playing-Position

(I don't actually play that way so maybe those guys suck at it, but you can look into it!)

But even if you don't go for that, good posture's important. A lot of new players lean over to look at the fretboard, and with a thick acoustic that means hunching over, and the bigger ones are bulky for everyone. So make sure your back's straight and you're not leaning forward (yeah it's hard at first), and you'll squash yourself less. You might end up being fine with the waist of the guitar (the part of the body that curves in)

Justin has a good course for the learnin' that covers things like posture, and other mistakes and pointers that might be handy as you go
http://www.justinguitar.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IscDj_-Nr0s