Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

God drat, Fuji in camera jpg processing -> wifi to tablet -> minor snapseed editing -> sharing is such a great workflow. I don't want to go back :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

toggle posted:

I'm stuck on lenses for my GH4. I'm looking at either an Olympus 12-40 (for native auto focusing) or Sigma 18-35 (with a speedbooster). Please help me :ohdear:

Both will be for running and gunning pretty much.

I've been nothing but happy with my 12-40. Built like a tank, plenty sharp wide open, and the focus clutch/ring is nice when you want to quickly override into MF if it's hunting (rare) or you're in really bad light.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

35mm f/2 owns bones, unsurprisingly:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My Fuji 35mm f/2 arrived yesterday. I went for silver, which is questionable with a black camera, but I like it:

Reminds me of a Contax G rangefinder lens. Maybe one day I'll have a silver Xpro2 to pair it with.

So is it sharper than the OG 35mm at f/2? At least with my copies, if there's a qualitative difference in sharpness it's not immediately apparent at 66% zoom (disregarding the decentered bottom-right quarter on my 1.4). Full-blown pixel peeping may give the edge to the new lens, but it's hard to say for sure. At best, I can say that the new 35 at f/2 is closer to the old 35 at f/2.8 when judging center sharpness, but it's a close call.

The fast, quiet, internal focusing is pretty luxurious though. And the small size and solid build make it a better match ergonomically for the rangefinder-style body. If only it came with a sweet hood like the old 35.

I just need a wide angle to round things out now. Having to replace my decentered normal lens means that the 14mm and 16mm are now priced out of my range for the immediate future. The question, then, is do I go for the Fuji 18mm or the Samyang 12mm. Do I trade autofocus and electronic aperture control (the Samyang doesn't support shutter priority, right?) for a wider angle of view? Everything I've looked at about the Samyang agrees that the image quality is pretty great. I haven't looked into the 18mm that much, but I assume it's pretty decent if it's a Fuji prime.

I guess, if there's anyone who has experience with both, can you speak to how the 18-55mm XF Zoom holds up at 18mm compared to the 18mm prime? If I'm going to be using it for street photography in addition to landscapes, the compactness of the prime is a plus. But the zoom is already 2.8 wide open (how about that, a kit zoom that doesn't start at f/3.5), which is pretty close to the 18mm prime's f/2 and the zoom has OIS. Almost seems like the zoom is either a better proposition or a wash in every department except size. I guess it might not be quite as sharp wide open as the prime, but how about the autofocus? They're both from around the same timeframe, so I'd bet that there's not too much of a difference between the two in AF speed. Or maybe theres some other subjective quality that leads one to choose one over the other?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 25, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

My Fuji 35mm f/2 arrived yesterday. I went for silver, which is questionable with a black camera, but I like it:

Reminds me of a Contax G rangefinder lens. Maybe one day I'll have a silver Xpro2 to pair it with.

So is it sharper than the OG 35mm at f/2? At least with my copies, if there's a qualitative difference in sharpness it's not immediately apparent at 66% zoom (disregarding the decentered bottom-right quarter on my 1.4). Full-blown pixel peeping may give the edge to the new lens, but it's hard to say for sure. At best, I can say that the new 35 at f/2 is closer to the old 35 at f/2.8 when judging center sharpness, but it's a close call.

The fast, quiet, internal focusing is pretty luxurious though. And the small size and solid build make it a better match ergonomically for the rangefinder-style body. If only it came with a sweet hood like the old 35.

I just need a wide angle to round things out now. Having to replace my decentered normal lens means that the 14mm and 16mm are now priced out of my range for the immediate future. The question, then, is do I go for the Fuji 18mm or the Samyang 12mm. Do I trade autofocus and electronic aperture control (the Samyang doesn't support shutter priority, right?) for a wider angle of view? Everything I've looked at about the Samyang agrees that the image quality is pretty great. I haven't looked into the 18mm that much, but I assume it's pretty decent if it's a Fuji prime.

I guess, if there's anyone who has experience with both, can you speak to how the 18-55mm XF Zoom holds up at 18mm compared to the 18mm prime? If I'm going to be using it for street photography in addition to landscapes, the compactness of the prime is a plus. But the zoom is already 2.8 wide open (how about that, a kit zoom that doesn't start at f/3.5), which is pretty close to the 18mm prime's f/2 and the zoom has OIS. Almost seems like the zoom is either a better proposition or a wash in every department except size. I guess it might not be quite as sharp wide open as the prime, but how about the autofocus? They're both from around the same timeframe, so I'd bet that there's not too much of a difference between the two in AF speed. Or maybe theres some other subjective quality that leads one to choose one over the other?

Get the Samyang 12mm f/2 i. I just bought one and it's grand. If you want AF or something less wide the 18-55mm zoom is hands down better than the 18mm prime in every way except 1 stop of speed (which is made up for by the OIS) and the physical size. It's sharper, better corrected, and quieter.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

I've been nothing but happy with my 12-40. Built like a tank, plenty sharp wide open, and the focus clutch/ring is nice when you want to quickly override into MF if it's hunting (rare) or you're in really bad light.

the 12-40 ownsssssssssss

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

DJExile posted:

Mr. Despair posted:

the 12-40 ownsssssssssss

Awesome, thanks guys. Helps sway my decision a bit better. Cheers!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looking forward to my 8mm Rokinon except it's stuck in UPS brokerage hell, but once I figure out how to self-clear it I'll join the wide angle club :cool:

After being so down on the XE1 and XPro1's EVF I used it a little in low-ish light and I always forget that while it isn't a super performer, it's not the end of the world. It's more than usable unless you're whipping it around.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 25, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Definitely get the 18-55 over the 18, it's an excellent lens. I basically have the XF 18-55 and the Samyang 12/2 as my kit for travel when I dont want to bring too much gear and between them they cover nearly everything I could want.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why the gently caress is Sigma still manufacturing RGB sensors (altho I think they have quarter resolutions for R and B now), and Sony still isn't.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Recommendation to Rokinon (Samiyang) 12mm f/2 havers, I put one of those TAAB rubber focus rings on and it's tons easier to use. I know they look a little silly but i keep one on all my manual focus lenses.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why the gently caress is Sigma still manufacturing RGB sensors (altho I think they have quarter resolutions for R and B now), and Sony still isn't.

I wonder which company fabricates those sensors for Sigma.. Maybe Sony? Who's left in the digital image sensor manufacturing game besides Sony and Canon?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I wonder which company fabricates those sensors for Sigma.. Maybe Sony? Who's left in the digital image sensor manufacturing game besides Sony and Canon?

Daewoo, seriously

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Panasonic, aptina, Samsung , towerjazz and Renesas

Edit: sorry Panasonic and TJ are together not separate

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 26, 2016

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I'm betting the only thing stopping Sony are patents and licenses.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sony understands concepts such as "money" and "sales".

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Meanwhile Sigma are concerning themselves with "temperature, humidity, and scent" as conveyed via photograph. And designing cameras with ergonomics based on speculative alien physiology.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I love sigma and I hope they always continue to be sigma.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

I love sigma and I hope they always continue to be sigma.

I figured that their fantastic lenses are being made to earn money for them to continue their mad scientist approach to camera bodies.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
"Someday they will all love us...they have to...we try so hard..."

*Janitor shows off rows of fluorescent lighting one by one while a Sigma industrial designer is slowly overtaken with silent sobbing*

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fart Car '97 posted:

God drat, Fuji in camera jpg processing -> wifi to tablet -> minor snapseed editing -> sharing is such a great workflow. I don't want to go back :cry:

This is my workflow only to iPhone and VSCO. Love how fast it is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

HPL posted:

Sony understands concepts such as "money" and "sales".
If Sony would make an A7III with an RGB BSI sensor, how would that not sell like hot cakes?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd buy a m43 sigma sensor body in a second. Gotta see every hair in my dog shots.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Got my EF-20 flash and Instax printer yesterday.

The flash is better made than I feared (plastic has a nice feel and the clicks are solid) and doesn't look too silly on top of the XT-10. I only had time to take a few quick test shots but it is surprisingly powerful for it's size and the recharge isn't bad (definitely slower than other flashes I've owned, but it'll be plenty for what I need it for). Definitely glad I grabbed this thing.

The printer is going to be great fun, I picked up a USB power cord and battery pack to avoid the dumb batteries as well. Did a couple test prints and while the quality isn't perfect, it's great and I can dig the polaroid quality effect it gives shots.

I still want to expand my lens collection, but can't decide between the 55-200 to complete reach, or save up for something like the 56 because it just produces incredible shots.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Ouhei posted:

The flash is better made than I feared (plastic has a nice feel and the clicks are solid) and doesn't look too silly on top of the XT-10. I only had time to take a few quick test shots but it is surprisingly powerful for it's size and the recharge isn't bad (definitely slower than other flashes I've owned, but it'll be plenty for what I need it for). Definitely glad I grabbed this thing.

The printer is going to be great fun, I picked up a USB power cord and battery pack to avoid the dumb batteries as well. Did a couple test prints and while the quality isn't perfect, it's great and I can dig the polaroid quality effect it gives shots.

I still want to expand my lens collection, but can't decide between the 55-200 to complete reach, or save up for something like the 56 because it just produces incredible shots.

Well. What do you have so far.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Combat Pretzel posted:

If Sony would make an A7III with an RGB BSI sensor, how would that not sell like hot cakes?

Last I checked, A7 sales were fine. Sony sensors are fine and the only people saying otherwise are hardcore anti-Sony people and clickbait content creators. Both camps would still complain even if Sony made a Foveon-style sensor.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ouhei posted:

The 56/1.2 is ridiculously good, if you use the focal length you definitely won't regret buying it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ouhei posted:

If you're not using a newish set of rechargeables for the ef-20 then pick some up. NiMH batteries recycle faster than alkalines.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

The Mantis posted:

Well. What do you have so far.
18-55 and 35 1.4.

alkanphel posted:

The 56/1.2 is ridiculously good, if you use the focal length you definitely won't regret buying it.
Yeah, I love the shots I've seen from it, my only issue is that with the 18-55 I have already I'm gaining more specialty vs. utility. I of course realize the 56 is leagues better than the 18-55 at 55 but it's still another repeated focal length in my kit.

Dren posted:

If you're not using a newish set of rechargeables for the ef-20 then pick some up. NiMH batteries recycle faster than alkalines.
I bought new eneloops to use with it. Got the 4 pack with charger so I should always have a spare set.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

HPL posted:

Last I checked, A7 sales were fine. Sony sensors are fine and the only people saying otherwise are hardcore anti-Sony people and clickbait content creators. Both camps would still complain even if Sony made a Foveon-style sensor.
I have an A7II myself, so I wasn't claiming that Sony's failing at selling them to begin with. Having an RGB sensor (on a decent mount instead of SA) would however create additional incentives for users from other systems to convert. And maybe sell some more to existing Sony system users. I'd get that hypothetical A7III.

As for advantages of an RGB sensor, it is theoretical 7x improvement in light sensitivity, higher sharpness and no need for AA filters.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Ouhei posted:

18-55 and 35 1.4.

Yeah, I love the shots I've seen from it, my only issue is that with the 18-55 I have already I'm gaining more specialty vs. utility. I of course realize the 56 is leagues better than the 18-55 at 55 but it's still another repeated focal length in my kit.

I bought new eneloops to use with it. Got the 4 pack with charger so I should always have a spare set.

If you do any headshot style portraiture you want the 56mm. It's also great in low light as it's 4 stops brighter than the 18-55mm. How often do you think you will need a longer focal length? I don't regularly need stuff in that range so I picked up a Nikon 80-200 f/4.5 AIS which is fantastically sharp just manual focus.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have an A7II myself, so I wasn't claiming that Sony's failing at selling them to begin with. Having an RGB sensor (on a decent mount instead of SA) would however create additional incentives for users from other systems to convert. And maybe sell some more to existing Sony system users. I'd get that hypothetical A7III.

As for advantages of an RGB sensor, it is theoretical 7x improvement in light sensitivity, higher sharpness and no need for AA filters.

I'm all for better tech myself, but nothing I've seen from Sigma so far points towards improving light sensitivity in any way. Instead of tilting at windmills with Foveon, I'd rather see Sony take the Super CCD approach and have two sets of microsites, one for highlights, one for shadows.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ouhei posted:

18-55 and 35 1.4.

Well I did brought my 55-200 before I bought the 56, but 56 is totally different from the 18-55 at the tele end. You have so much more power with the 56.

There is also the 14mm 2.8 which is actually my number one used lens. If I go out and shoot for my personal pleasure in the weekend, I take the 14mm over the 18-55 kit 90% of the time.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Everything I've seen about the 14 points to it being a great lens. I'm also tempted by the 55-200, as a casual wildlife & nature walkaround zoom. I had a great time with the Canon 55-250 4-5.6 on an old Rebel back in the day, and sometimes just don't want to lug around a 400L + 7D. I just wonder if I'll miss the extra reach too much; the extra brightness seems like a reasonable tradeoff. How's the 55-200 for close-up pseudo macro stuff?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ouhei posted:

I think end of the day, you really need to consider what you'll be using the lenses for, and what you like to shoot. The 56/1.2 will allow you to take shots that the 18-55 cannot, so how important is that to you?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It's basically a headshot machine, right? It's a portrait lens..

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you want to take portraits? Y/N (circle one)

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It's basically a headshot machine, right? It's a portrait lens..

Indeed. Specifically designed to only take portraits.
That focal length is not capable of anything else.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

alkanphel posted:

I think end of the day, you really need to consider what you'll be using the lenses for, and what you like to shoot. The 56/1.2 will allow you to take shots that the 18-55 cannot, so how important is that to you?

Yeah, for now I'm going to wait a little bit and get back in to shooting more to figure out where my needs/wants start showing up. Right now the 35 lives on there most of the time and works pretty well as a general lens and a portrait lens in a pinch. The IQ on the 18-55 is certainly impressive but seeing shots out of my 35 and what other people post from the 56 and other primes just makes me want to ditch the zoom and go all prime, it's just a matter of the cost of doing so since I do this strictly as a hobby (and a casual one at that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I drove along the lake erie shore yesterday looking for some good shots and decided to bring the 800mm f/8 along because gently caress you I can :radcat:

This is an image of Perry's Monument on South Bass Island in Lake Erie. It's very blurry because it was hazy and windy as hell that afternoon.

It was also suuuuuper far away :v:

I also got some good shots with the 9mm f/1.8 fisheye and will get those up in a bit.