Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I read the short story that they're adapting into Arrival and I have no clue how they're going to make a movie out of that. While it doesn't have a "twist" it does reveal some stuff as it goes and I don't see that working all that well when you can actually see the characters instead of them just referenced in text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also aliens wouldn't have language in any way that would be recognized as language by any human.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LesterGroans posted:

On the other hand, The Coen Brothers have literally only had one bad movie.

Their segment from Paris, Je T'aime is pretty dire.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

So I read the short story that they're adapting into Arrival and I have no clue how they're going to make a movie out of that. While it doesn't have a "twist" it does reveal some stuff as it goes and I don't see that working all that well when you can actually see the characters instead of them just referenced in text.

I also just read it and am super intrigued how a movie of this could work. Definitely a movie I'm gonna try to watch.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I actually liked the other shorty story by the same author that was linked more than the one the movie is going to be based on.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I actually liked the other shorty story by the same author that was linked more than the one the movie is going to be based on.

Yeah, it's one of my least favorite stories of his, even if it's well-enough written. It's basically the long way around to Dr. Manhattan, with none of the considerable extra time spent explaining providing any particular illumination.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wish I wasn't such a mark but the new Star Wars trailer is really good

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/763927709521018880

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Youtube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

Yes, this does look not only good but also also different from previous movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That tease at the very end was very well done.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

That tease at the very end was very well done.

Are you talking about the Vader part? Because while I've been kinda down on the idea of this movie overall, I thought overall this teaser was pretty good, but that part made me groan out loud

The lead character facing down the tie fighter is a much better image to go out on.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I liked the teaser much more. But I think it's because in the back of my mind I keep thinking about the re-shoots. I know there's a lot of "oh no this is normal" (and yes I do know a certain amount of reshoots is normal), but I just get the sneaking suspicion that they really thought it was too non-StarWarsy and wanted to fix it which kind of bums me out.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

AT-ATs, will watch

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It may have worked because I was thinking, "isn't he in this?" right before he showed up. Would have been clunkier otherwise, possibly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

AT-ATs, will watch

AT-AT bazooka to the face has me giddy as hell.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The MSJ posted:

Youtube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

Yes, this does look not only good but also also different from previous movies.

Agreed. But I do wish they could ever stop the Death Star from being the focus of so many SW films

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

It may have worked because I was thinking, "isn't he in this?" right before he showed up. Would have been clunkier otherwise, possibly.

Yeah i had no idea he was supposed to be in this and I dunno, the problem I have with this movie is I don't want it to feel like just "here's some stuff what was going on in the background of A New Hope." Makes it feel too much like The Thing prequel, just backstory I have no interest in.

The action stuff looks really cool though and the cast seems good. I didn't know Riz Ahmed was in this so that made my interest go up like 1000%.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
More excited to see Donnie Yen than anything else.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah i had no idea he was supposed to be in this and I dunno, the problem I have with this movie is I don't want it to feel like just "here's some stuff what was going on in the background of A New Hope." Makes it feel too much like The Thing prequel, just backstory I have no interest in.

I definitely have sympathy with that, but I feel like that's not really a problem with the presence of Vader. He's just a fun character that could be dropped into any number of Star Wars stories, Fury Road style.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I definitely have sympathy with that, but I feel like that's not really a problem with the presence of Vader. He's just a fun character that could be dropped into any number of Star Wars stories, Fury Road style.

eh, I'm pretty done with Vader. Especially after the prequels.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
That trailer makes it look far more interesting than Force Awakens ever looked

It looks like Star Wars but also different enough to have it's own voice whereas TFA looked (and ended up being) mostly pandering

Would have been happy without Vader tease though

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

eh, I'm pretty done with Vader. Especially after the prequels.

He's in them for, what, 2-3 minutes? He got about as much screen time as the Death Star or its plans.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I assume they'll go Vader as Boogeyman which could be fun

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

He's in them for, what, 2-3 minutes? He got about as much screen time as the Death Star or its plans.

He's like the lead character in all three of them

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He's like the lead character in all three of them

Obi-Wan Kenobi is a different character entirely.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NJj12tJzqc

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If Vader has like 4 lines and 10 minutes of casually destroying some rebels I will be really good to go.

I'll be really good to go regardless, but still.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

AT-ATs, will watch

AT-ATs in HD loving owns.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Obi-Wan Kenobi is a different character entirely.

You lost me on this one.

I guess you could argue Obi-Wan's the lead in Episode 1 (Episode 1 feels weirdly protagonist-less, actually). But then, I'm pretty much just as tired of him too. I think him, Vader and C3PO are the only characters to appear in all six movies? I don't remember if R2D2 shows up in episode 1

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You lost me on this one.

Anakin definitely isn't the protagonist of Episode 1. It's probably Qui-Gon, with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Jar Jar, and Padmé in the strong supporting roles that R2D2, Han, Obi-Wan are in Episode 4.

My main point, though, was that Anakin isn't Darth Vader until the end of the prequels. Both in the literal sense and in the more subjective sense that I feel like the prequels didn't run the risk of over-exposing him the way it did, say, light sabers and Star Destroyers. What I like is the voice, the costume, and the attitude, and those are barely in it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Who does pickups/reshoots and changes a character's haircut? Were the screening notes "Forest's character is too mean and he should have hair"?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Apparently he is going to have both hair styles in the film, because they are at different points. But if they don't, its because they decided having hair would better align him with the character he is playing from the CGI show.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jerkface posted:

Apparently he is going to have both hair styles in the film, because they are at different points. But if they don't, its because they decided having hair would better align him with the character he is playing from the CGI show.

Ugh I really don't want to watch the cartoon to know what the hell is going on, I don't have the time. Can you spoiler the cliff notes for me or is this more speculation than existing plot?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Dillbag posted:

Ugh I really don't want to watch the cartoon to know what the hell is going on, I don't have the time. Can you spoiler the cliff notes for me or is this more speculation than existing plot?

Sure here is a spoiler, his character is Saw Guerrera, an anti-separatist turned anti-Empire guerilla fighter that is more like a terrorist than a freedom fighter. In the tv series he ends up causing the death of someone close to him and apparently goes off the deep end. That character had hair. He is only in like 3 episodes, but has been mentioned in some other various canon EU stuff. Usually in the context of "that loving saw guerrera and his terrorist friends are loving poo poo up all over'

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maybe it's CGI hair added in post.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jerkface posted:

Sure here is a spoiler, his character is Saw Guerrera, an anti-separatist turned anti-Empire guerilla fighter that is more like a terrorist than a freedom fighter. In the tv series he ends up causing the death of someone close to him and apparently goes off the deep end. That character had hair. He is only in like 3 episodes, but has been mentioned in some other various canon EU stuff. Usually in the context of "that loving saw guerrera and his terrorist friends are loving poo poo up all over'

Rad, thanks. Who comes up with these loving names? Smells like Lucas (see: jizz")

teagone posted:

Maybe it's CGI hair added in post.

You joke, but that's actually the it's the first thing I thought. I've worked on a couple films that had to fix bad wigs with CGI hair and the seams on his head set off alarm bells.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

No. You see it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wish Star Wars had even fewer white people

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every character in that trailer seems pretty rad. Still looking forward to this very much.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Dillbag posted:

You joke, but that's actually the it's the first thing I thought. I've worked on a couple films that had to fix bad wigs with CGI hair and the seams on his head set off alarm bells.

We know there are flashbacks from the other trailer released at SDCC that shows a young Jyn (the protagonist), and a recent article confirms that the different hairstyles are not a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MeinPanzer posted:

We know there are flashbacks from the other trailer released at SDCC that shows a young Jyn (the protagonist), and a recent article confirms that the different hairstyles are not a mistake.

Of course they aren't a mistake. How the gently caress would an entire crew of thousands make that mistake?

• Locked thread