Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Is the idea of "almost full time DPSing SCH" here meant to imply you only need one healer for some encounter or another, or is Selene/Eos carring the load, or what? Embrace seems way too paltry.

If you have, say, a WHM, they can generally handle the majority of the group healing, and the Scholar only really needs to dip out for the times when there's big tankbusters or group AoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What the hell do the Goblins sound like in the Japanese script?

Burger McAngus posted:

So currently my monk has the esoterics weapon, chest, and ring and alex normal gear in the rest of the slots. Is there an optimal order to buy the other esoterics gear in, or am I fine with any order?

Same question, same situation, as a Bard. Is buying the Ring to replace the 180 Law Ring the best move if you have Alex pants, or are the Pants still the better call? They give the same Dex bonus, but different secondaries. The latter would be a bigger i-level increase, if that matters.

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

How is this game's music so good

Because of this guy.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's probably something lame, like every other word is katakana.

quote:

Same question, same situation, as a Bard. Is buying the Ring to replace the 180 Law Ring the best move if you have Alex pants, or are the Pants still the better call? They give the same Dex bonus, but different secondaries. The latter would be a bigger i-level increase, if that matters.

Same answer: whatever's cutest.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Go to Ariyala and fiddle around with gearsets. Here's the most accurate stat weights so far:

3.0 Bard Weights
DEX - 1.000
CRIT - 0.224
DET - 0.140
SKS - 0.111
WD - 11.602

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Eej posted:

Go to Ariyala and fiddle around with gearsets. Here's the most accurate stat weights so far:

3.0 Bard Weights
DEX - 1.000
CRIT - 0.224
DET - 0.140
SKS - 0.111
WD - 11.602

How are these calculated, anyway?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Usually by comparing dummy DPS between several different conditions that change one stat and control for the others.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

seorin posted:

It's probably something lame, like every other word is katakana.

Comparing a random line from the Alex attunement quest:

EN posted:

Pssshkoh... Is uplander seeing it? Giant of iron, rising from river? Y'shtola and Cid leave to learn more, but are not back yet! Great is plight of gobbieflock! Giant is too big, can squash Idyllshire flat! Where are uplanders!?

JP original posted:

「シュコォ・・・・・・シュコォ・・・・・・
 モンダイ ナンダイ 発生中!
 シドとヤ・シュトラ 奔走中~!!
 機械の巨人 現れて
 「自由の都市」が ピンチ ゴブ~!!」

JP translated posted:

Pssshkoh... Pssshkoh...
Problem -- challenge -- erupting!
Cid and Y'shtola -- scrambling!
Giant machine -- appearing!
"City of Freedom" -- in crisis, gobbu!!

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
in crisis, gobbu!~

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thank goodness for Koji and Crew not being literal translators.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can't do the lustrate from CS anymore because it's a 600 potency heal not 25% of health.

Also there are a lot of spots where our AST can solo heal and the SCH does nothing be DPS all throughout savage alex.

The lack of Lustrate from Cleric Stance and the effective reduction to fairy healing between 51-60 do a lot to get rid of the old "SCH spends whole fight in DPS stance" story. Nowadays it's more fluid; I'm more likely to drop my dots and then swap back to healing so the WHM can push for sustained DPS when possible, or we'll both swap during downtime for a few GCDs and then swap back. There's no reason why you couldn't use an AST in place of either a WHM or a SCH, but it intuitively feels like it would be more difficult right now due to AST's utility being relatively weak and their heals being lower across the board in comparison, but I legitimately don't think enough people have taken a serious crack at it to know for sure whether it's actually harder - we have one person doing fine, and a bunch of people theorycrafting that ASTs can't hack it or doing the "safe" option and just taking WHM/SCH because it's a guaranteed solid comp.

Not really enough data to draw solid conclusions from, in other words.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every party should have an astrologian who gives me every Balance.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Olesh posted:

but I legitimately don't think enough people have taken a serious crack at it to know for sure whether it's actually harder - we have one person doing fine, and a bunch of people theorycrafting that ASTs can't hack it or doing the "safe" option and just taking WHM/SCH because it's a guaranteed solid comp.
we tried

oh did we ever try

the Balance was delicious, but the incredible effort it took to stay alive was not worth how ridiculously much easier it is to just go WHM/SCH

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do two SCHes still get in each others way horribly (or at lest more so than two WHMs did at 50) or have they done something about that? (stacking galvanizes?)

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

nnnnnnnnnope, same deal with SCH sect ASTs, you can not stack their shields

edit: nvm the galvanize and AST shitshield do not stack, my memory sucks

ilifinicus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 20, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

Thank goodness for Koji and Crew not being literal translators.

I would love to see, as an experiment, someone back-translating the English localization back into Japanese, and then getting reactions from the players.

I have heard that ours is allegedly more rich and "better" than the Japanese one, but have no source other than hearsay.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

The Alexander lyric video reminded me of this so here's the way better lyric video once again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBU8eUWREU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ilifinicus posted:

nnnnnnnnnope, same deal with SCH sect ASTs, you can not stack their shields

edit: nvm the galvanize and AST shitshield do not stack, my memory sucks

Even worse, AST shields overwrite SCH shields even if they're weaker. I was selling a rav run a month or so back and the buyer was an AST that kept overwriting my crit adlos with their lovely rear end version of succor :shepspends:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

bonewitch posted:

Even worse, AST shields overwrite SCH shields even if they're weaker. I was selling a rav run a month or so back and the buyer was an AST that kept overwriting my crit adlos with their lovely rear end version of succor :shepspends:
job keeps getting worse the more I pay attention to it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's the penalty they (and we all) pay for AST having the coolest weapon models I fear :(

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

ilifinicus posted:

The Alexander lyric video reminded me of this so here's the way better lyric video once again

I was in a Titan HM duty roulette group last night, and it was tragic.

I should state that I try very hard not to be a Titan snob, because when I got the clear for my relic bow in 2.0, it was my single worst round of Titan ever. I spent basically the whole second half of the fight down, due to some bad luck with Granite Gaol and Landslide. So I try to be sympathetic to a round or two of bad mojo. I was actually scared to go back in trial roulette because of Titan HM, and I was afraid I'd be That Guy.

We tried at least 4 times (Echo at 40% when we quit, I think), and we had these two people who couldn't even survive until the heart phase. One of them, of course, was one of our healers. That's not bad luck, that's just bad.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

I just wish it lasted until the second set of lyrics.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Thundarr posted:

So Manipulator isn't just a jukebox that plays POWERMAN 5000 songs, it's a jukebox that plays POWERGOB 5000 songs.

How is this game's music so good

because Sokken was like, Square's best kept secret until FFXIV, he worked under a pen name on several projects including stuff like Mario Hoops 3 on 3. This was the first project he was allowed to use his real name on

His work is actually really impressive because of how it functions as part of the fight as much as any other element in it. Fights often not only rely on severeal tracks but Metal itself actually disables layers of the track outside of combat for dramatic effect. Whereas I adore Uematsu's work I feel like he stopped really evolving around the time the Black Mages put out that first CD, and Sokkens music just feels like a lot fresher and more varied.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 21, 2015

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Olesh posted:

but I legitimately don't think enough people have taken a serious crack at it to know for sure whether it's actually harder - we have one person doing fine, and a bunch of people theorycrafting that ASTs can't hack it or doing the "safe" option and just taking WHM/SCH because it's a guaranteed solid comp.

Not really enough data to draw solid conclusions from, in other words.

There are a lot of WHM out there right now that really want to play AST and try to shoehorn it into raids, so I think we do have a lot of experience. I'm on A4S and we seriously attempted AST on 1 and 3 on our WHM's insistence, it was just setting back progression. A2S is probably solo healable at this point so it is not a good healer test, my group is going to try it next week. I know a group that did A3S with an AST but it was their second clear and their skill level is completely bonkers so I wouldn't recommend it for the average casual raid. Actually for the average casual raid I'd recommend saying gently caress you to A3S, there are really 2 raids at the moment and that's alex 1-2 and alex 3-4.

Also gently caress waiting for balance card before pull, that has sometimes taken so long that potions came off cooldown.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Chinese Batman posted:

Because of this guy.

Don't forget for most of the best songs, also this guy:

ilifinicus posted:

Also see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ssnaiquvns

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 21, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Chairman posted:

Comparing a random line from the Alex attunement quest:

Wow. This game really is well scripted.

So do they write the song lyrics with the English version in mind or is there a Japanese Alex track?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I was curious and checked the lodestone for all three FCs and see how many players we have in the goon group. Adding up all three of them we have ~1,200 active goons, maybe a bit less if there are inactives in TPT since they don't really need to purge. Makes me curious how big Goonfleet is/has been in comparison.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There's a few goon splinter groups around too. I don't think we're anything close to the power that goonfleet ever was, but we're far and away the single largest collective group in the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As far as I know the only song with Japanese lyrics is Ramuh's theme.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The audio ducking when panned to the fallen character will never not be funny to me

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

As far as I know the only song with Japanese lyrics is Ramuh's theme.

Ramuh's theme is not in Japanese.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I could have sworn that half of it was.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

I could have sworn that half of it was.

The part that isn't in english is in the Sylvan language, actually.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shows how much Japanese I know.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I like Ramuh's theme music the most out of all the primals. Its very relaxing. I also like Good King Mog's theme because its so playful.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Velveteen posted:

I like Ramuh's theme music the most out of all the primals. Its very relaxing. I also like Good King Mog's theme because its so playful.

Shiva part 1 is the best.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Velveteen posted:

Especially the From Umbral to Astral version.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Making the jump to Excal in the very near future (tonight, maybe?). Will register on other forums when it's done.

Got to one of the boss fights in the Hildibrandt questline only to be stymied by pubbies who couldn't figure out the imp phase, despite the tank shouting explicit instructions every time.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
Hey would anyone from the Xeon guild on Exodus be able to let me in, or tell me who I should contact? I'm kinda new and can't seem to find a way to search for players by free company, and I couldn't find anyone at the guild house :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Iron Tusk posted:

Shiva part 2 is the best.

There, now you are correct.

• Locked thread