Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okaaaaaayyyyyyy, now I start investing in Acid Grenades and Shredder Cannons, like a lot. :stare:

\/ That implies I have a Colonel Gunslinger. I think mine right now is Captain. Or at least whenever you get Faceoff. The highest ranked soldier I have right now is Major Sniper Rupture AP Round man. Though maybe he should get the Bluescreen. I do at least have an EMP Bomb and Statis.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A gunslinger with bluescreen rounds can solo that sectopod too.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Harrow posted:

[*]Larger pod sizes.
[*]Less predictable pods. Introduce patrols that travel larger areas of the map. Maybe if you take too long fighting one pod, the next one hears the commotion and is ready for you when you arrive--one alien set up on overwatch, others already in flanking positions. (That way you don't have aliens always taking like five overwatch shots whenever you trigger a pod, but you also increase the importance of a trait like Shadowstep on a scouting Ranger.)
[/list]
I'm just spitballing on most of these.

You can already increase pod sizes in DefaultMissions.ini.

One of the .ini files contains lines for upshifting and downshifting the AI (the AI .ini?) which somewhat addresses the pod engagement mechanics. Theres a cap on how many aliens you can engage at once before other pods actively avoid patrolling into your area. Likewise if you havent engaged a pod in so many turns they start getting more aggressive about hunting for you. Both of those are configurable, and setting the downshift limit high is essential if youre playing with bigger pods so you dont cap out at 1 pod.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

A gunslinger with bluescreen rounds can solo that sectopod too.

I preferred AP rounds to bluescreen on my gunslinger.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's a bit weird to complain that XCOM 2 encourages you to try and engage the enemy piecemeal and concentrate firepower/use crowd control abilities to deplete the enemy's ability to respond. Because those are hardly unique to XCOM, or introduced by free moves or whatever! I mean that's actually the fundamental idea behind 99.9% of strategy games, isn't it?

Whether you're playing this or Starcraft or Total War or Unity of Command or War in the East, if your plan is to charge straight forward into the enemy and get totally surrounded by as many of them as possible, and let them all do whatever they want unmolested... Well, good luck with that. Even in the original XCOM, it's not like the AI didn't have an aggro mechanic. It's just less transparent because it's larger than your visibility range.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Not a Step posted:

I preferred AP rounds to bluescreen on my gunslinger.

This guy gets it. I load up my Sniper Sharpshooters with AP rounds because having a super-accurate attack every turn becomes even more valuable when you don't have to shred armor beforehand. The aliens start packing some serious armor levels as the game goes along, enough that your plasma weapons can get their effectiveness halved. It's a drat good thing to be able to count on your dude to not only hit, but hit for all his damage anytime you need it.

As a corollary, this also means grazing hits are loving terrible and I hate them.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a place, maybe a workshop mod, that contains all of Beaglerush's changes so I don't have to keep a backup folder of the original .ini files? Or a place where he has all those altered .ini's at least so I don't have to puzzle through the default .ini's?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know ap rounds were things, I have venom rounds which I've never used, tracers, bluescreens, and dragon breaths (which are awesome). The sniper perpetually has tracer rounds to try to mitigate how bad he is at his job. The gunslinger goes between bluescreens and DBs depending on what I feel like.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Soulfucker posted:

This but unironically

I played UFO Defense this weekend and had a 70% casaulty rate and it was good

It's good to make casualities matter less.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't know ap rounds were things, I have venom rounds which I've never used, tracers, bluescreens, and dragon breaths (which are awesome). The sniper perpetually has tracer rounds to try to mitigate how bad he is at his job. The gunslinger goes between bluescreens and DBs depending on what I feel like.

Goddamn I suppose I'm thankful I don't have your RNG luck with Snipers. Granted, I do give mine tracer rounds until Spider Suits, but still.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

toasterwarrior posted:

Goddamn I suppose I'm thankful I don't have your RNG luck with Snipers. Granted, I do give mine tracer rounds until Spider Suits, but still.

The hilarious thing is he usually has 80-100% to hit now but he still only hits like 20% of the time. Killzone being bugged and only working on two enemies because it drains the rest of the mag for some reason isn't helping him out either. The gunslinger is the most lethal soldier by far with about 60 kills to his 30 (I do not know how he got 30).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'd love to have tracer rounds. Stupid elerium core RNG :argh:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

High ground advantage + perception pcs + scope + grenadier cover removal will remove the need for tracers in most cases. I loaded bluescreens on my sniper because of how important it is to one shot Codexes. As a happy side effect I could also deadeye oneshot Andromedon suits, turrets, and most MECs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not a Step posted:

High ground advantage + perception pcs + scope + grenadier cover removal will remove the need for tracers in most cases. I loaded bluescreens on my sniper because of how important it is to one shot Codexes. As a happy side effect I could also deadeye oneshot Andromedon suits, turrets, and most MECs.

Still haven't seen the perception pcs, but with high ground, tracers, and no cover, he usually misses all but one shot in the opening attack.

Are codices that big of a deal to people? On Veteran at least they've never accomplished anything. And aren't codices technically organic? Do bluescreens work on them?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The hilarious thing is he usually has 80-100% to hit now but he still only hits like 20% of the time. Killzone being bugged and only working on two enemies because it drains the rest of the mag for some reason isn't helping him out either. The gunslinger is the most lethal soldier by far with about 60 kills to his 30 (I do not know how he got 30).

I think my understanding of Killzone isn't that it's bugged, it's that it uses 1 ammo for the ability itself, and then does one ammo per shot as normal. Hence you're getting two shots, while the guy with the extended mag is getting 5.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bholder posted:

Figuring out how to play optimally is hardly boring

This is the same poo poo people complained about in Long War.

Grenadier opens with an explosive --> sniper kill zone --> 2 assaults + 1 support mops up --> psi trooper stasis if anything survives. Even if you accidentally pull another pod have the support or an assault throw a mimic beacon, the rinse and repeat next round with the additional pod.

This works for every pod no matter what the enemy composition is. Every time. The downside of the entire tactical combat being a 1 note puzzle is that it stops being exciting when solved. This is on commander iron man. I guess I could try legendary after, but just having a slightly different puzzle to solve doesn't seem that appealing. I would much prefer a game where you are encouraged to get into back and forth firefights than one where you solve the same puzzle over and over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fangz posted:

I think my understand of Killzone isn't that it's bugged, it's that it uses 1 ammo for the ability itself, and then does one ammo per shot as normal. Hence you're getting two shots, while the guy with the extended mag is getting 5.

Ohhhh. That needs to be explained somewhere. I need to go hunt for more mags then.

quote:

Grenadier opens with an explosive --> sniper kill zone --> 2 assaults + 1 support mops up --> psi trooper stasis if anything survives.

For me it's plasma grenade > lightning rounds > pistol shot > more grenades > try to dominate or haywire > fan fire if single target alive, Shoot Everything if not > run and gun flank > mimic beacon if somehow nothing died.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Grenadier opens with an explosive --> sniper kill zone --> 2 assaults + 1 support mops up --> psi trooper stasis if anything survives. Even if you accidentally pull another pod have the support or an assault throw a mimic beacon, the rinse and repeat next round with the additional pod.

This works for every pod no matter what the enemy composition is. Every time. The downside of the entire tactical combat being a 1 note puzzle is that it stops being exciting when solved. This is on commander iron man. I guess I could try legendary after, but just having a slightly different puzzle to solve doesn't seem that appealing. I would much prefer a game where you are encouraged to get into back and forth firefights than one where you solve the same puzzle over and over.

s/2 assaults/2 grenadiers, and yeah, that was the entirety of my mid to endgame experience

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Honestly if I had enough of them I could just field three grenadiers and 3 gunslingers and grenade and lightning hand everything. I didn't think ahead enough though so I have nine high level units, 3 mid level, and 6 squaddies.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Grenadier opens with an explosive --> sniper kill zone --> 2 assaults + 1 support mops up --> psi trooper stasis if anything survives.

I do think some abilities are overpowered (i.e. the ones you mention). But I don't really share your enthusiasm for 'back and forth firefights'. That just boils down to everyone rolls on the RNG until one side wins.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Not if you have some form of RNG manipulation, like X-Wing or Malifaux. That isn't very XCOM though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think my understanding of Killzone isn't that it's bugged, it's that it uses 1 ammo for the ability itself, and then does one ammo per shot as normal. Hence you're getting two shots, while the guy with the extended mag is getting 5.

Kill Zone's animation sometimes bugs out, too. I've seen my sniper take one Kill Zone shot, then seemingly not take any shots on the other enemies that she should have, but at the end of their moves, suddenly there are damage pop-ups. So I think it works, it's just that the ammo consumption isn't obvious and the animation fucks up sometimes.

Megasabin posted:

I agree that some greater tactical variety would be good, but I'm with Fangz in that I don't think back-and-forth firefights are the answer. Once you get to that, I think you change it to an opening just as you describe, and then every turn is "move to flank so you don't miss -> shoot -> pray you don't get flanked back because eventually you're going to run out of flashbangs/Aid Protocols/other defensive boosts." That's why most of my suggestions (of which you can already mod in some, like larger pod sizes) focus on making that initial "how do I kill them before they get to shoot me?" puzzle less predictable and, at the same time, less immediately crippling if you lose.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Two of my main soldiers are now shaken. Do I have to take zero damage AND get a kill in the same mission to remove it? Or is it a mix? One of them took damage in a mission but managed three kills but remains shaken.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Does anyone know of a fix to the glitch that makes enemies move in suuuuuper sloooooow mooooootion? It's the one that I see more than any other and it's really obnoxious having to wait 15+ seconds for an enemy to finish their animation.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Still haven't seen the perception pcs, but with high ground, tracers, and no cover, he usually misses all but one shot in the opening attack.

Are codices that big of a deal to people? On Veteran at least they've never accomplished anything. And aren't codices technically organic? Do bluescreens work on them?

Codexes are robots, and they get annoying with the cloning and also disabling everyones weapons and forcing your squad to flee from the big boom. A codex who gets a turn can really screw up an entire engagement.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Megasabin posted:

Basically same here except I substituted one of your assaults for an overwatch support to make the opening salvo harder at the cost of having one fewer mop-up crew. There's very little that survives a size 6 mag killzone and a size 6 mag guardian overwatch if the opening trigger is a plasma grenade, shredstorm or some other form of AoE shred/damage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I just grabbed a Perception PCS from the Black Market as my first purchase on my new campaign. It feels like an apology for never even showing me a single one last time. My shiny new sniper, Cameron "Sheriff" MacGregor, is having a great time with it.

Codices are robotic, so bluescreens tear them up. They're also extremely nasty if they survive long enough to do something to you.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DatonKallandor posted:

Basically same here except I substituted one of your assaults for an overwatch support to make the opening salvo harder at the cost of having one fewer mop-up crew. There's very little that survives a size 6 mag killzone and a size 6 mag guardian overwatch if the opening trigger is a plasma grenade, shredstorm or some other form of AoE shred/damage.

I actually just got killzone on my grenadier from AWS. Probably will switch out the 2nd assault for a demolitions based grenadier, and respec the current to use holotargeting/killzone for an even nastier opening barrage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

I just grabbed a Perception PCS from the Black Market as my first purchase on my new campaign. It feels like an apology for never even showing me a single one last time. My shiny new sniper, Cameron "Sheriff" MacGregor, is having a great time with it.

Codices are robotic, so bluescreens tear them up. They're also extremely nasty if they survive long enough to do something to you.
How on earth can you make any sharpshooter named "Sheriff" anything but a gunslinger?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Megasabin posted:

That is definitely something you could do every single pod. So maybe you could, I dunno, not do that? You've found the combo that makes everything a walk in the park, but the game is varied enough that you could choose something else instead of the same one note opener every time. The game's not making you use that combo to win, so if you don't like doing it, why do it?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Erata posted:

Is there a place, maybe a workshop mod, that contains all of Beaglerush's changes so I don't have to keep a backup folder of the original .ini files? Or a place where he has all those altered .ini's at least so I don't have to puzzle through the default .ini's?

Yeah, mod collections are built into Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621266601

I don't think it's up to date.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

How on earth can you make any sharpshooter named "Sheriff" anything but a gunslinger?

It's a struggle. I love having a Kill Zone sniper, but you're right, gunslinger is probably the better option for him. I haven't actually gotten to a level where I have to choose yet, though--I go Long Watch -> Lightning Hands for the first two for both snipers and gunslingers--so it isn't too late!

He might just be a generalist. I like Kill Zone better than Faceoff (or, at least, I used Kill Zone a lot more on my last campaign than I used Faceoff), but I like Fan Fire more than Serial on a Sharpshooter (Serial on a Ranger > Serial on a Sharpshooter, just because of the accuracy/crit rate involved).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ravenfood posted:

Sheriffs would use rifles to shoot fleeing outlaws at pretty long ranges.

I'd still make him a gunslinger tho

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Yeah they just turned all my weapons off for the first time. Usually I can kill them when they teleport but none of my six overwatching guys felt like shooting, I guess.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

RVWinkle posted:

Yeah, mod collections are built into Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621266601

I don't think it's up to date.

Cool. That helps a lot. I just want the mods to be able to be toggled on and off easily for different campaign runs.
I'm only guessing here, but I'm pretty sure that Better AI is probably one of the things he talked about in the ini changes... but idk.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618390218

"-The AI now considers grenades against single targets (Except ADVENT troopers, that was way too mean.)" might be a difference between Beagle's changes and this mod though.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Is there a source for PCSs other than getting lucky on the Black Market? I'm in July and thus far I've gotten a single Will PCS and nothing else.

Also, on the holomap are the timers for events how long until they're 'ready' or how long you have to actively idle there before getting them? I've been assuming the latter but I realized today I'd feel amazingly stupid if it was the former and I'd been wasting days at a time idling on things until they popped.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Melanion posted:

Is there a source for PCSs other than getting lucky on the Black Market? I'm in July and thus far I've gotten a single Will PCS and nothing else.

Also, on the holomap are the timers for events how long until they're 'ready' or how long you have to actively idle there before getting them? I've been assuming the latter but I realized today I'd feel amazingly stupid if it was the former and I'd been wasting days at a time idling on things until they popped.

I get the majority of my PCS as random drops in missions. You could take the scavenger perk from the GTS if you want a better shot at finding them.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kingtheninja posted:

Two of my main soldiers are now shaken. Do I have to take zero damage AND get a kill in the same mission to remove it? Or is it a mix? One of them took damage in a mission but managed three kills but remains shaken.

They just need to survive a mission without taking damage. They'll get a permanent boost to their will after this, even improving their own score!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Public Service Announcement

Nvidia's latest drivers appear to cause cover icons to disappear. Reverting back to previous drivers fixes the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Deuce posted:

Public Service Announcement

Nvidia's latest drivers appear to cause cover icons to disappear. Reverting back to previous drivers fixes the problem.

Thanks, I was going to upgrade tonight but i'll hold off!

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah they just turned all my weapons off for the first time. Usually I can kill them when they teleport but none of my six overwatching guys felt like shooting, I guess.

That'll teach you to overwatch with everyone! :v: