Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Wait a sec, how would you parry without something that has the parry skill?

The katana stance skill has r2 become a parry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah lots of people had trouble with one of those guys on the bridge, but I got it first time so I was like aww yeah I'm so cool.

Then I get to two of them :rip:

Holy poo poo I don't know how you're supposed to solo those guys. I ended up summoning help. Crazy hard.

Separate them fuckers. Use a bow to pull one towards the ladder and fight it there. That's how I did it, anyway.

Still got murdered like three times in that room though. At least they don't respawn so when I got one down it was progress.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

wow, i tried invading for 40 mins today and every single invasion i got a full party of sliding t-posing dudes. my internet is working fine, nothing's downloading, and last night and the day before yesterday i had dozens of mostly lag free invasions.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
How the gently caress do you get back to the dancer fight if you home boned out

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey I just met that...uh...trap in the Cathedral, and I'm confused.

I want to cross the bridge that got lowered, but I cannot for the life of me find the switch. Where the gently caress is the switch? This is the Patches bridge

So, the second shortcut that goes back to the Cleansing Chapel bonfire has an elevator in it.

What you want to do is go up that elevator, then go up a ladder from there, and enter the Giants And Bridges Room from the rafters, then drop down to where the switch is. There's some treasure up there too, though it's been long enough I don't remember exactly what...

Glenn_Beckett posted:

It's right across from Vordt. The room where you got the banner at the very beginning.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Glenn_Beckett posted:

It's right up the big staircase from Bordt.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Mimingless posted:

It's right across from Vordt. The room where you got the banner at the very beginning.

Jesus loving Christ.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can I just kill Siegward in Undead Settlement to get his armour?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Can I just kill Siegward in Undead Settlement to get his armour?
Apparently you can. I'm guessing you're trying to get it early, then? It's possible to buy it later (to give back to him) or to gain it at the end of his questline, of course.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Genocyber posted:

The katana stance skill has r2 become a parry.

Huh, for some reason I thought it was just a generic upward strike

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Huh, for some reason I thought it was just a generic upward strike

quote:

Skill: Hold
Assume a holding stance to rapidly execute a lunging slash with a normal attack, or a deflecting parry with the strong attack.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Amazing at how much I didn't discover my first time around. I just met the Covenant Leader at the Cathedral, didn't even know that was a thing until my second go through. I loved the rafter sequence; I made all the knights run off to their own deaths.

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771816&userid=176209

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Amazing at how much I didn't discover my first time around. I just met the Covenant Leader at the Cathedral, didn't even know that was a thing until my second go through. I loved the rafter sequence; I made all the knights run off to their own deaths.

I've played about forty hours and I didn't notice that one of the thrones was occupied.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

homeless poster posted:

if i am reading the sparse info online correctly, then the "armor" value that you see when you are comparing pieces of armor (3.1 or 12.5 or 9.2 or whatever) is the flat reduction that is taken off of each attack. so if an attack does 100 damage and you have a total of 20 armor, you take 80 damage. then, the percentage that you see after the armor number is additional mitigation that gets applied to this reduced number, so if you have 20 / 20% and you take 100 damage, you reduce the damage by 20 first, and then reduce the 80 by another 20%, and that's the total damage you take.

the thing is, it seems like there's not a lot of variation between the armor value on the lightest, piece of crap armor, and the heaviest fat-rolling armor. for example, the lightest headgear has an armor score of .5 (pyro crown) and the heaviest has an armor score of 5.8 (havel's). assuming the game rounds fractions up to nearest whole numbers, on a 100 damage attack, that's the difference between taking 99 points of damage, and taking 94 points of damage. chest armor gets a little more competitive, where the lowest armor score is 2.7 (master's) and the highest is 16.2 (havel's again) so on a 100 damage attack, that's the difference between taking 97 points of damage, and taking 84 points of damage.

now, that might seem like wow, if you just stack all the heaviest armor, you could get a 100 damage attack down to less than half the actual damage! which might be true, but keep in mind that's a 100 damage attack, and the damage reduction from armor is a flat reduction. most boss attacks (the damage most people would care the most about) is dealing way more than 100 points of damage per hit. taking a 1000 damage attack and reducing it to 944 damage doesn't seem like such a big deal, especially if you don't even have 944 health while in full ember mode.

so to me, all this is showing is that armor is somewhat useful if you expect that your enemy is going to be using light weapons with fast, low damage attacks, because the flat damage reduction gets you the most bang for your buck there, but it's pretty much useless if you're more interested in trying to protect against bigger, slower power hits, because the flat reduction is less beneficial.

there's poise too, but again from what i can glean online, it seems like poise works differently than other DS games / than people would expect. people are thinking in DS3 poise is just added to your iframes if your attack offers hyper armor (say a greatsword r2) so that your attack now has slightly more hyper armor and so if you go to trade a hit with someone, you're more likely to win the trade and now you can follow up with the rest of your combo. but it doesn't seem like poise is actively letting you just walk into an oncoming attack and ignore said attack and start up your own attack animation.
Armor doesn't do much for the flat reduction. ANY armor has the same increase to your innate flat reduction (mostly modified by VIT, but SL generally improves flat reduction. The difference is in the % absorption. When you're up toward 50% absorption that absolutely makes that 1K incoming damage more manageable.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

This is what happens when you just gently caress around with stuff instead of actually reading about it in the menu

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Ahah! At long last, I have escaped from shitswamp! And there's a bonfire, too!

Oh, hey, a boss fight! And it's those dudes from the intro, with the sweet helmet hats! Alright, time for some mano-a-mano figh--ohsweetjesusthere'smorethanone

This is the point in the game where I actually need to straight up Git Gud, isn't it? These guys do not seem like they're going to have a Vordt style exploitable weakness or be a Greatoak puzzleboss.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
If an Aldrich Faithful invades you and you kill it as a Darkmoon do you get a Proof of a Concord Well Kept, or is that only if you help someone else (even though apparently the Darkmoon covenant only calls you for red phantoms, so you just have to get lucky and end up in a world that also has an Aldrich Faithful)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Oh, hey, a boss fight! And it's those dudes from the intro, with the sweet helmet hats! Alright, time for some mano-a-mano figh--ohsweetjesusthere'smorethanone

This is the point in the game where I actually need to straight up Git Gud, isn't it? These guys do not seem like they're going to have a Vordt style exploitable weakness or be a Greatoak puzzleboss.

There is a trick to the fight that makes it much easier.

Every other watcher spawned starting with the third is an ally and will attack the others.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I cant believe I'm still getting constant invasions in the cathedral at level 56. Some people are overlevelled as gently caress in this.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

The key here is that when 2 of them spawn (besides the boss), they fight each other and you get big openings on the boss. They can also be back stabbed and parried

a cop posted:

I cant believe I'm still getting constant invasions in the cathedral at level 56. Some people are overlevelled as gently caress in this.

There's a chance they've already finished the catacombs and smouldering lake

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 21, 2016

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
it is really disappointing in how late in the game you get the path of the dragon stones. By the time you can invade with them, you just get three-shot by everyone due to having no armor and stun-locked to death due to having no poise. Even the upgraded twinkling version aren't worth it due to how long it takes them both to cast. I miss being able to get them at level 1 in Dark Souls and killing newbies with them as a dark-hand/pyromancy darkwraith. At least dragon form looks great with the demon's fist (which will set chairs on a spreading fire if you punch them :eng101:).

One of the more interesting things about the dragon head stones is that their description says they apparently scale in damage with int/faith (a D/C level for the twinkling version). Since it uses stamina and not FP it might be useful for people going a full miracle faith-based build. The twinkling version is also completely hilarious to use even if it takes three seconds before it actually fires.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In case anyone missed this (and I'm sure some of you have) if you backtrack from the Armour bonfire, go left and into the church, trigger the elevator (that leads up to the door of the Twins fight) and jump off immediately, another elevator will come up that you can take down to a find a slab!

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Purpling into multi summon/invade worlds is without a doubt the most fun I've had in co-op/PvP in a Souls game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NGDBSS posted:

Apparently you can. I'm guessing you're trying to get it early, then? It's possible to buy it later (to give back to him) or to gain it at the end of his questline, of course.

Yeah but his questline broke for me in the last game and with NPC details still being kind of sketchy, I'd rather just get the early and guaranteed drop.

Sure it requires murdering him but I'm sure he'll understand. Fashion souls is important.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Genocyber posted:

There is a trick to the fight that makes it much easier.

Every other watcher spawned starting with the third is an ally and will attack the others.

Admittedly I didn't pay too much attention about them, but the red eyed ones will attack you first if you're close unless they get hit by the boss, I'm wondering why? You've got the ones trying to kill you, then you have those ones that are basically like the chaos purple bros, is there any lore reason behind it? Or is it just "Some are more crazy than others"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is the distant manor bonfire seriously the closest one to pontiff Sullivahn? That's a longass run

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Alan Smithee posted:

Is the distant manor bonfire seriously the closest one to pontiff Sullivahn? That's a longass run

No, there's a shortcut down the other staircase outside the fog wall.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tamayachi posted:

Admittedly I didn't pay too much attention about them, but the red eyed ones will attack you first if you're close unless they get hit by the boss, I'm wondering why? You've got the ones trying to kill you, then you have those ones that are basically like the chaos purple bros, is there any lore reason behind it? Or is it just "Some are more crazy than others"

People think its because the wild ones are corrupted by the abyss and need to be struck down.

I prefer to think they are all just arguing over who gets to sit on the throne.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really miss Lifedrain Patch from 2. Killing your host after a boss fight was never not satisfying. Is there any way to gently caress over your host in this game outside of pulling a ton of enemies that anyone has found?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For an early-game pyromancer, am I better off making my Astora Straight Sword Fire or Raw?

I figure Raw is the clear choice once I get Carthus Flame Arc but is Fire better before then?

Alan Smithee posted:

Walk past his fog door and down the stairs. There's a shortcut.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I really miss Lifedrain Patch from 2. Killing your host after a boss fight was never not satisfying. Is there any way to gently caress over your host in this game outside of pulling a ton of enemies that anyone has found?

A performance-murdering (great to screw with PS4 users) equivalent is in but it's weak as a mutha. Not yet checked if it gives friendly fire.

I wanna make a pain in the rear end invader caster that's all clouds and sprays and thorns armour and poo poo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whatever was in that patch in Monday hosed up my game hard. It's crashing way more and it keeps killing my usb drivers and forcing me to reboot my comp cause I can't use my mouse, keyboard, or controller. :(

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
After more failed invasions, the game just up and won't find any more hosts for me to connect to. :( I should've known better than to think I'd get anything out of this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a cop posted:

it's a little early to say what the normal level is for an area, don't you think. also you could go through the catacombs before even finding the cathedral

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

They should have made the first chest you find one of those top 5 most annoying enemies in the game chest monsters so you are always wary of opening a chest but never actually have to fight them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Soft Shell Crab posted:

They should have made the first chest you find one of those top 5 most annoying enemies in the game chest monsters so you are always wary of opening a chest but never actually have to fight them.

I mean they pretty much do, if you run past the dragon.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Same thing happened to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

homeless poster posted:

if i am reading the sparse info online correctly, then the "armor" value that you see when you are comparing pieces of armor (3.1 or 12.5 or 9.2 or whatever) is the flat reduction that is taken off of each attack. so if an attack does 100 damage and you have a total of 20 armor, you take 80 damage. then, the percentage that you see after the armor number is additional mitigation that gets applied to this reduced number, so if you have 20 / 20% and you take 100 damage, you reduce the damage by 20 first, and then reduce the 80 by another 20%, and that's the total damage you take.

the thing is, it seems like there's not a lot of variation between the armor value on the lightest, piece of crap armor, and the heaviest fat-rolling armor. for example, the lightest headgear has an armor score of .5 (pyro crown) and the heaviest has an armor score of 5.8 (havel's). assuming the game rounds fractions up to nearest whole numbers, on a 100 damage attack, that's the difference between taking 99 points of damage, and taking 94 points of damage. chest armor gets a little more competitive, where the lowest armor score is 2.7 (master's) and the highest is 16.2 (havel's again) so on a 100 damage attack, that's the difference between taking 97 points of damage, and taking 84 points of damage.

now, that might seem like wow, if you just stack all the heaviest armor, you could get a 100 damage attack down to less than half the actual damage! which might be true, but keep in mind that's a 100 damage attack, and the damage reduction from armor is a flat reduction. most boss attacks (the damage most people would care the most about) is dealing way more than 100 points of damage per hit. taking a 1000 damage attack and reducing it to 944 damage doesn't seem like such a big deal, especially if you don't even have 944 health while in full ember mode.

so to me, all this is showing is that armor is somewhat useful if you expect that your enemy is going to be using light weapons with fast, low damage attacks, because the flat damage reduction gets you the most bang for your buck there, but it's pretty much useless if you're more interested in trying to protect against bigger, slower power hits, because the flat reduction is less beneficial.

It's more complex than that but similar. The defense value isn't a flat reduction amount, but rather is compared to the attack value of the attacker, and then depending on how big they are in relation to each other, a different amount of damage is removed. If defense is > 8X the attack, you take 10% of attack as damage. If It's the other way around, you take 90%. It scales inbetween those values by some stupid complex formula thing, but you could probably think of it as basically a flat reduction.

The % damage reduction then comes in after that.

Defense is only affected by your stats and whether or not you actually have a piece of armour in that slot. Absorption (the % value) varies depending on the armour and is affected by things like rings and so on, and is also multiplicative, not additive.

Overall takeaway is always wear armour in every slot, doesn't matter what it is as long as something's there.