Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The one true temperature scale is Kelvin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The one true temperature scale is Kelvin

Celsius is the most widely used temperature scale in the world. Christianity is the most popular religion in the world.

Celsius is the Jesus of temperature measurement.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m sorry, but who names a temperature scale Kevin.

Guys, I just created a new unit of measurement. It’s called a “Jeffrey”

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Worse: Fahrenheit vs Celsius

See puppetmaster goon, this is how you actually start a derail. Just the mention of temperature chat brings people out of the woodwork. You gotta up your game or you'll never have anyone dancing on the end of your strings.

Besides if you're not a puppetmaster you are clearly a puppet, dancing on the end of the strings of someone else.

Git gud.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Theophany posted:

Celsius is the most widely used temperature scale in the world. Christianity is the most popular religion in the world.

Celsius is the Jesus of temperature measurement.

Inshallah you metric motherfucker

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Caliditas Vult

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006
I fight for all those men who have their nuts in a vice grip
Sic Semper Fahrenheit!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Inshallah you metric motherfucker

'Metric' literally means a form of measurement. Think about that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

To be fair that's pretty accurate in C, too

If it's 100 degrees Fahrenheit outside, you know to wear shorts and a hat and stick to the shade because it's really friggin' hot out

If it's 100 degrees Celsius outside, you know to get into your underground bunker because the apocalypse has begun

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

If it's 100 degrees Fahrenheit outside, you know to wear shorts and a hat and stick to the shade because it's really friggin' hot out

If it's 100 degrees Celsius outside, you know to get into your underground bunker because the apocalypse has begun

And if it's 0 degrees F out you know it's an arctic tundra, but if it's 0 degrees C you may want to grab a jacket.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Re: cash me outside girl (i have no idea who or what she is), but if she was underage, thats fine, goon. You're simply a classy renaissance man and a true gentlemen, since 13 was considered just the right age for sirs of high class in those times.

I dont know why people are up in arms over men trying to return to our civilized roots of teen marriage. #traditionalmarriage #takearecountryback #classy

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

vortmax posted:

Also the objectively correct temperature scale is Rankine. Fight me.

gently caress. you beat me to it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

loquacius posted:

If you're drinking ten shots a day and AA isn't helping, rehab would be the next logical step.

Also, alcoholic goon: note that doctors are perfectly aware of how people lie about their drinking, so when you're saying "oh, two or three drinks a day" and they see your whole health picture they know exactly what's going on. Go to rehab.

I’m sorry, but who names a temperature scale Kevin.

Guys, I just created a new unit of measurement. It’s called a “Jeffrey”

just wait until you learn about Watts and Pascals and Joules and Amperes and Volts and Newtons and Angstroms and Hertz and Grays and Sieverts and Curies and Teslas and Henrys and Ohms and Farads and Coulombs and Siemens and Daltons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and Webers

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Henry is my favorite unit of measurement. Magnetic permeability is measured in Henries per meter :buddy:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

And if it's 0 degrees F out you know it's an arctic tundra, but if it's 0 degrees C you may want to grab a jacket.

That's what I've been saying! Fahrenheit is great if you need to know how cold it is outside on a scale of 1 to 100; Celsius is great if you need to know whether a quantity of water is frozen or boiling and you don't know what ice or steam is

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Sagebrush posted:

Also, alcoholic goon: note that doctors are perfectly aware of how people lie about their drinking, so when you're saying "oh, two or three drinks a day" and they see your whole health picture they know exactly what's going on. Go to rehab.

I've known a lot of functional alcholics in my day and none of them gained long-term sobriety through abstinance. Don't most rehabs focus on that?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

LingcodKilla posted:

TLDR; you monster.

Nooooo, you should have read!

You should have read, you fool!!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

just wait until you learn about Watts and Pascals and Joules and Amperes and Volts and Newtons and Angstroms and Hertz and Grays and Sieverts and Curies and Teslas and Henrys and Ohms and Farads and Coulombs and Siemens and Daltons

My fiancee is a radiologist and I asked her to explain me the difference what the gently caress is with all the rems and rads and sieverts and grays and becquerels and curies and roentgens and coulombs and she did but my eyes glazed over and all I remember is that some are SI and some are old style.

loquacius posted:

That's what I've been saying! Fahrenheit is great if you need to know how cold it is outside on a scale of 1 to 100; Celsius is great if you need to know whether a quantity of water is frozen or boiling and you don't know what ice or steam is

Doesn't matter if the number fits nice and squarely on some neat interval though. If you grow up knowing -10 is pretty darn cold and 40 is quite hot, that's fine too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Doesn't matter if the number fits nice and squarely on some neat interval though. If you grow up knowing -10 is pretty darn cold and 40 is quite hot, that's fine too.

Agreed, one is just much stupider than the other.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

All forms of measurement are ultimately arbitrary, yes, but you can't piss people off by saying this (unless they are metric-system enthusiasts, because the metric system is a mathematically perfect system intrinsic to physical existence and handed down to the first man by God)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I propose a compromise system then. Water will now freeze at 16 and boil at 156.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

wernox posted:

I've known a lot of functional alcholics in my day and none of them gained long-term sobriety through abstinance. Don't most rehabs focus on that?

Real rehab therapy focuses on getting to emotional issues that cause the drinking. I knew a group counselor and he said their meetings involved a lot of shouting and crying.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pressure units are the worst

Atms or bust

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Is this thread seriously having the temperature units derail argument again

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
We're bored because we need new feshes. I don't think anyone is taking it seriously.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Is this thread seriously having the temperature units derail argument again

Goddamn right we are

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bradzilla posted:

man the puppet master goon's post worked exactly as intended

I bet puppetmaster goon has two AC units in his house with both units of measurement. He truly is an evil genius.

loving goonluminati pulling the strings behind the scenes, open your eyes people!

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

loquacius posted:

All forms of measurement are ultimately arbitrary, yes, but you can't piss people off by saying this (unless they are metric-system enthusiasts, because the metric system is a mathematically perfect system intrinsic to physical existence and handed down to the first man by God)

Metric system makes sense, but you would have to remove every INCH measurement from everything and that goes into fasteners and poo poo. You have no idea how frustrating it is to listen to people say "I want a 6mm bolt that is 1.5" long". Give me a fastener that is 1.5" long in metric. Then tell me how many mm it is in, and tell me if 1.5" is easier than 37.5mm

In closing, gently caress metric, Im gonna stay INCH strong

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

half coke half diet posted:

Metric system makes sense, but you would have to remove every INCH measurement from everything and that goes into fasteners and poo poo. You have no idea how frustrating it is to listen to people say "I want a 6mm bolt that is 1.5" long". Give me a fastener that is 1.5" long in metric. Then tell me how many mm it is in, and tell me if 1.5" is easier than 37.5mm

In closing, gently caress metric, Im gonna stay INCH strong

Ok yeah but 40mm is easier to say than 1.5748 inches

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jastiger posted:

Re: cash me outside girl (i have no idea who or what she is), but if she was underage, thats fine, goon. You're simply a classy renaissance man and a true gentlemen, since 13 was considered just the right age for sirs of high class in those times.

I dont know why people are up in arms over men trying to return to our civilized roots of teen marriage. #traditionalmarriage #takearecountryback #classy

I don't get why anybody gives your lovely posts any credence, to call it trolling is offensive to the art form.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

loquacius posted:

Lol, no, everything about metric, every single thing from temp to time to volts all comes down to a physical object, the kilogram.

If the prototype kilogram gets scratched you can slam dunk your equations in the trash because the whole system is hosed

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Ok yeah but 40mm is easier to say than 1.5748 inches

Maybe, but what loving bolt is One and Nine Sixteenth long?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Lol, no, everything about metric, every single thing from temp to time to volts all comes down to a physical object, the kilogram.

If the prototype kilogram gets scratched you can slam dunk your equations in the trash because the whole system is hosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH0hikcwjIA

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-M8-40-x-40-mm-External-Hex-Hex-Head-Cap-Screws-2-Pack-40508/202836080

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

Abomination!

PS: Machiovelligoon, great job on the derail!

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Sometime next year they're going to fix this by redefining the kilogram to be based on planck's constant.

http://www.nature.com/news/kilogram-conflict-resolved-at-last-1.18550

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The only non-arbitrary measures of time are days and years, and even those fluctuate. But seconds/minutes/hours are purely imaginary.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Holy poo poo that post about the prototype kilogram was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all the bolts on my motorcycle, 3d printer, quadcopter, and other modern high-tech products of the future are multiples of round metric lengths (10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 30mm, etc)

who gives a poo poo how long they are in ancient puritan farmer units