Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DiHK posted:

So its good zombies... that's dumb. Armor with souls bound to it is so much cooler.

No they're just reincarnated by their god-king each time they die but the warp eats away at their soul each time so every time they fall they come back colder and more machine like with less of their own personality.

But this is the wrong thread for that. Been shoring up deficiencies in my primaris with other marine units and its kind of shocking how little tartaros terminators get you for their massive cost. Running a squad of black reach terminators instead of the squad I have since they're 70 points cheaper for really not a lot less performance.

Artum fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

No they're just reincarnated by their god-king each time they die but the warp eats away at their soul each time so every time they fall they come back colder and more machine like with less of their own personality.

It's actually Nagash that takes a little bit of them every time they die. Supposedly death isn't nearly as big a deal for the Relictors because they have some sort of thing with Mr Lich.

They're doing a decent job on AoS fluff stuff lately. I've felt a little burned out on 40k since my Blood Angels are not especially enjoyable to play at the moment and AoS has been a neat alternative.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Do you think Preliminary Bombardment is worth using? 2 CP to have a 1/6 chance of putting 1 mortal wound on each unit seems a little lame.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

chutche2 posted:

Do you think Preliminary Bombardment is worth using? 2 CP to have a 1/6 chance of putting 1 mortal wound on each unit seems a little lame.

It's terrible. Think about it this way...let's say you get really lucky and play against someone doing MSU all over the place, without anything in transports or off board, and somehow they end up with a twelve drop deployment. That'll, on average, get you two whole mortal wounds scattered randomly across your opponent's army.

Best case you get a mortal wound per command point.

And usually it'll be worse. No thanks. Have your bombardment officer report to the Commissar for a "talk." :commissar:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Roughly how many points are the Dark Vengeance (not Dark Imperium) boxed set armies in 8th edition?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

Roughly how many points are the Dark Vengeance (not Dark Imperium) boxed set armies in 8th edition?

The dark angels is a little over 700, chaos is about 450

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hey guys, tear apart my lovely Original Chapter (Do Not Steal) concept:

An all-Primaris Chapter patterned on Thousand Suns geneseed. Due to <reasons>, likely a flaw in the Chapter's geneseed, the Marines are dangerously vulnerable to possession by demons. Demonic possessions nearly destroyed the chapter in its infancy, and dangerous Inquisition questions nearly finished the job. In a desperate gamble, nine of the Chapter's Librarians reached into the Warp for an answer, and found one. They reached too deep and possessed their own kin, destroying their minds and binding their bodies as extensions of the Librarians' own wills. Breaking the connection between Librarian and bound Marine kills the Marine, and implanting the fallen's geneseed into new recruits merely binds them to the Librarians as surely as the original curse. Rather than face execution or worse at the hands of their brethren or the Inquisition, the Librarians and those scant few Marines who were not possessed vowed never to expose their secret. The Marines who retain their minds became the Chaplains of the Chapter, physically leading the host in combat where their officers were no longer capable and where the great and continuous strain on the Librarians' minds renders them incapable of directing that many bodies without assistance.

Already viewed with unease by ally and enemy alike for their nearly unthinking, uncaring, and reckless advances into enemy guns, the Chapter committed entirely to using terror and intimidation in battle. Every Marine in the Chapter wears the death's head helmet typical of Reivers, their armor colored pitch black with bright white pauldrons and knees, and helmets colored based on the Marine's role in the chapter. Line troopers and veterans in white, Hellblasters in red, Librarians in blue, and officers in gold. Senior members have fully colored helmets, while junior members have black helmets with colored facemasks.

For example, a Hellblaster Sergeant has a full red helmet, while a Hellblaster not-Sergeant just has a red facemask with black helmet. A Captain has a gold helmet, while a Lieutenant has a black helmet with a gold facemask. And so on.

Chapter uses White Scars tactics, and I equip them exclusively with Assault weapons (Auto Bolt Rifles and Assault Plasma Incinerators) so the average infantry moves 9-14" a turn and can pretty routinely get up to 10-11". Haven't picked a name for them yet. The idea being that they're similar to Thousand Suns Rubric Marines, except instead of being hulking and indestructible brutes they're just as fast and agile (if not faster, with Librarians ignoring the limits of their pawns' bodies) as they were in life but tend to be less accurate due to having very little individual attention from their Librarians.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That is quite the points disparity

I have a whole Dark Vengeance box laying around from 7th and I guess I can just ally them to my Dark Imperium armies

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Speaking of DV, where's a good place to source cultists for my death guard?

The autogun DV cultists look great but it's hard to find them. I know there's lot of 3rd party guys that make stuff but I'm not sure which ones to go for, and I want two heavy stubber cultists which outside of finding those DV ones might be hard to get.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I've been using the Warzone boxed set models for all sorts of generic guardsmen types, it's only 30 bucks for like 80 models and they're of passable quality when you paint them up despite being like twenty years old

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Sounds a little like a chapter of BA Death Company, with more of an emphasis on Librarians instead of Chaplains. My only thought is to change it up and make it so it reduces them to some sort of savage state (outside of the influence of a Librarian) rather than psychic slaves, otherwise, one Calexus assassin shows up and POOF. I like to keep my fluff safe for the tabletop, and you're likely to come accross a "blank" at some point.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's not a bad thought, but at the same time I'm not generally concerned with "what if my Chapter fought an Imperium assassin?" fluff that will only ever happen "for real" on a game table. I'd like to keep it similar to the Thousand Suns' curse, at least superficially.

On the table, I basically Advance every-fuckin'-where because it was fun as hell to run a Hellblaster squad 14" and gun down a bunch of Cultists at the end of it, and this seemed like a decent way to have at least a semi-interesting justification for doing that.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Taking a break from complaining about GW I actually scratch built an made a jump pack sorcerer. Happy with it. Crappy phone pics but is what it is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I have just been reminded, by ending up in 1d4chan's Salamanders page, to be grateful for this thread and the people in it not being bugfuck terrible unfunny racist grogs.

Thank you all for being part of a good place to discuss this game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

That's not a bad thought, but at the same time I'm not generally concerned with "what if my Chapter fought an Imperium assassin?" fluff that will only ever happen "for real" on a game table. I'd like to keep it similar to the Thousand Suns' curse, at least superficially.

On the table, I basically Advance every-fuckin'-where because it was fun as hell to run a Hellblaster squad 14" and gun down a bunch of Cultists at the end of it, and this seemed like a decent way to have at least a semi-interesting justification for doing that.

How about if the constant daemonic assaults, combined with the Inquisition's interrogation, has left the Chapter full of batshit insane madmen who can only function in the calming presence of the Librarians? That way it's similar to the curse with psykers controlling the troops, but in a way that's different from the Thousand Suns.

Plus then it makes a lot of sense that they go nuts in battle; the stress of war taxes the Librarians and leaves them only partially in control.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did a little more work on my first knight this evening. Really happy with how it's turning out, but clearly it would be much better with an airbrush.

Still loads more to do.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 10, 2017

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Zuul the Cat posted:

Did a little more work on my first knight this evening. Really happy with how it's turning out, but clearly it would be much better with an airbrush.

Still loads more to do.

[timg] https://m.imgur.com/a/TlC9f[/timg]

That knight is looking good !

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mugaaz posted:

That knight is looking good !

Yeah, that red and silver pops nicely.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm getting the distinct feeling that the IG Codex was not written very well and, at best, needed another editing pass.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm getting the distinct feeling that the IG Codex was not written very well and, at best, needed another editing pass.

Is it just too good? I haven't read it yet.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it just too good? I haven't read it yet.

I already faced a catachan parking lot and it was not a very fun game, for reference, so I may be a little salty.

But mostly that there are a *lot* just kinda poorly worded rules.

Like how Yarrick's warlord trait does nothing or the cadian relic.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 10, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It wouldn't be a GW book if there wasn't a rule in there with a clear intent which they've completely failed to put into words, and Yarrick is it.

Imo Guard are the strongest book in the game right now but CSM are very close.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A couple of other issues I spotted in the relics-

* The Valhallan Pistol doesn't say how many shots it fires. I would assume 3 to match the Commissar pistol?
* The Catachan Sword is basically just a worse version of the generic one above. Sure it may occasionally do 3 damage but otoh it can also do 1. The fixed 2 damage and better AP makes the first sword much better. Not sure if there was meant to be a special rule or something on the Catachan sword to balance them out?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zark the Damned posted:

A couple of other issues I spotted in the relics-

* The Valhallan Pistol doesn't say how many shots it fires. I would assume 3 to match the Commissar pistol?
* The Catachan Sword is basically just a worse version of the generic one above. Sure it may occasionally do 3 damage but otoh it can also do 1. The fixed 2 damage and better AP makes the first sword much better. Not sure if there was meant to be a special rule or something on the Catachan sword to balance them out?

You've got the Catachan and generic the wrong way around I think. Conquest is +2S, AP-3, D3 and Catachan is +2S, AP-2, D2. Conquest is generally better imo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

It wouldn't be a GW book if there wasn't a rule in there with a clear intent which they've completely failed to put into words, and Yarrick is it.

Imo Guard are the strongest book in the game right now but CSM are very close.

What works well for CSM? Is this specific to Death Guard or more CSM in general?

Man I'm so behind.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Those complaining about the Imperial Guard unit sizes not matching up with their real world counterparts are really wasting their energy. That poo poo is explained in the fluff pretty quickly, there is no galaxy-wide standard, and it is really just up to the planet that raises them. Sure, the GW guys don't have real world military experience, but you'd be a fool to think that the current structures in numbers are the most optimized ways to run a military unit.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hey, Yarrick can order himself and other commissars with Voice of Command. He can give himself the fix bayonets order. Fix Bayonets put onto a company commander the turn after they heroic intervention into a fight has been amazing for me this edition.

Thanks for reminding me that doesn't work though because I was going to take that warlord trait on my lord commissar.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 10, 2017

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
40k fluff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDSZ_bzudv0

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Someone asked me to keep the thread posted as I continued working on Moose God, the counts-as Magnus for my jungle Daemons army.

Behold the Lord of the Jungle, still very much WIP. The top of the staff is also removed to make painting easier.

I'm traveling all this week for work, but hope to finish him shortly after returning.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if a Cerastus Knight head from Forgeworld is compatible with a regular Imperial Knight?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BuffaloChicken posted:

Someone asked me to keep the thread posted as I continued working on Moose God, the counts-as Magnus for my jungle Daemons army.

Behold the Lord of the Jungle, still very much WIP. The top of the staff is also removed to make painting easier.

I'm traveling all this week for work, but hope to finish him shortly after returning.

Moose, the secret killer.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Baneblades are good again. Shadowswords got better.

Almost everything in the new IG codex got a little bit better. Russes and Superheavies got way better. It would have been rad if Steel Legion rules could keep up with Cadians and Catachans, but hey, it's better than no extra rules.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

Hey, Yarrick can order himself and other commissars with Voice of Command. He can give himself the fix bayonets order. Fix Bayonets put onto a company commander the turn after they heroic intervention into a fight has been amazing for me this edition.

Thanks for reminding me that doesn't work though because I was going to take that warlord trait on my lord commissar.

Yeah the trait is just broken for Prefectus right now. It'll get erratad.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Baneblades are good again. Shadowswords got better.

Almost everything in the new IG codex got a little bit better. Russes and Superheavies got way better. It would have been rad if Steel Legion rules could keep up with Cadians and Catachans, but hey, it's better than no extra rules.

I'm excited to finally use my drat Baneblade only 6 years after buying it.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Not super happy with how the blade came out but otherwise fairly happy with how this dude turned out

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I read some of those GOR novels. My uncle left them at my grandparents house from when he was a young adult and into Fantasy and Heavy Metal in the 70's.

Basically it's a series of books about this nerd college professor that likes long walks in the woods, and one day he gets transported to this fantasy setting and he turns into this buff fighter dude and Conan's out on whatever. It's like that John Candy part in Heavy Metal the movie.

Ahhh, innocent 70's rape filled fantasy worlds. :allears:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Corrode posted:

Yeah the trait is just broken for Prefectus right now. It'll get erratad.

I'm excited to finally use my drat Baneblade only 6 years after buying it.

After looking over the options, I think the Hellhammer is my favorite "standard" baneblade. I don't count the shadowsword or stormlord as standard since they have some pretty different roles.

But basically you trade in half your range and 20 more points for +1 S, -1 AP, and ignore cover.

Banesword looks good too though, wounds T7 vehicles on a 2 and fantastic damage, plus huge range.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 10, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

chutche2 posted:

After looking over the options, I think the Hellhammer is my favorite "standard" baneblade. I don't count the shadowsword or stormlord as standard since they have some pretty different roles.

But basically you trade in half your range and 20 more points for +1 S, -1 AP, and ignore cover.

Hellhammers are beastly. I have the old Shadowsword / Stormlord kit (still sealed in box) that makes the six variants without the rotating main turret so I can't make one, unfortunately.

chutche2 posted:

Banesword looks good too though, wounds T7 vehicles on a 2 and fantastic damage, plus huge range.

I agree, but I'm not sure how they compare to Shadowswords. Catachan Baneswords probably have an edge? haven't crunched the numbers

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 10, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
If you can't make a hellhammer then go banesword imo unless you really want that volcano cannon or want to transport stuff

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

chutche2 posted:

If you can't make a hellhammer then go banesword imo unless you really want that volcano cannon or want to transport stuff

I'm probably going to magnetize it, seems easy enough, but I have a hunch that the Shadowsword will be better for Canadians, and it wounds T8 on a 2. I think it's probably dependent on the meta

e: 2D6 vs. 3D3 results, for reference

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Huh, didn't realize the shadowsword and banesword were the same price.

Shadowsword is probably better overall then. The banesword gets more shots but the shadowsword's got better AP, wounds T8 better, and does a lot more per shot. Catachan banesword is probably better than shadowsword though yeah. I'm surprised they put the shadowsword up to 3d3 shots, it was already killing most stuff in one shot before. Now it'll probably kill other baneblades in one shot.