Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Wolfechu posted:

Jesus was born of a divine (wizard) father and a human (muggle) mother. Making him a mudblood.

No, he was both pureblood and muggle at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Magic methods of transportation introduced in each book.
1. Magic boat, magic train, brooms, sometimes wizards just vanish
2. Fireplaces, Magic car, magic sewage pipes, sometimes elves just vanish
3. Magic cars (different), Magic bus, Magic flying horses
4. Magic trash teleportation, vanishing is fully established, Magic boat (different), flying carpets, Magic flying horses and carriages
5. Magic elevators, Magic flying horses (different)
6. Linked Magic cabinets
7. Magic flushing yourself down toilets, Magic picture tunnels

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You forgot the magic motorbike

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
poo poo. Why do they have so many different methods

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Harry Potter and the Methods of Transportation

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

muscles like this! posted:

Okay, so the Hogwarts Express leaves London at 11am and by the time it arrives at Hogwarts in Scotland it is dark out (which on September 1st is 8pm local time) so it is at least a nine hour train ride. Which makes perfect sense for a group that can teleport. Yes I know you can't teleport directly to Hogwarts but how far does that extend? Also you have to feel bad for anyone that doesn't live in the London area that has to go there first.

I kind of assume every train station has a fake wall that leads to the Hogwarts Express platform. Kings Cross usually looks pretty empty when they're there - you'd think there'd be hundreds of wizard families queueing for the entrance. Maybe it's just Hagrid and the Weasleys that prefer it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

Jesus was born of a divine (wizard) father and a human (muggle) mother. Making him a mudblood.

I’m honestly shocked this isn’t already a pottermore article

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

GodFish posted:

poo poo. Why do they have so many different methods

Every time a wizard jk Rowling needs to get to a new scene, they just invest a convenient new method of teleporting.

(I think you forgot magic bus also)

wizards authors, no sense of right and wrong!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

I don’t get it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

poisonpill posted:

(I think you forgot magic bus also)

The magic bus is there, but I think phoenix-teleporting is missing. Because there weren't enough flavors of teleport.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Fireplaces (entire body)
Fireplaces (head only)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Doesn't the Deluminator somehow turn into a transportation method in the last book

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Doesn't the Deluminator somehow turn into a transportation method in the last book

No it just starts like guiding you where you need to go instead of being a cool lighter that can absorb light.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder when Dumbledore decided Ron would eventually flake on the group and need something to help him return.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobjr posted:

I wonder when Dumbledore decided Ron would eventually flake on the group and need something to help him return.

12 seconds after meeting Ron.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Grundulum posted:

I don’t get it.

No worries

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

bobjr posted:

It's because Ron is Dumbledore.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

josh04 posted:

It's because Ron is Dumbledore.

honestly should have been canon

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Guy A. Person posted:

more importantly, what was his Hogwarts house?

hufflepuff. i will not be taking further questions

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Grundulum posted:

I don’t get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grundulum posted:

I don’t get it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Did Rowling drop an N-bomb recently? I’m missing the connection of the “two G’s” tweet to reality.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

"A couple of g's – geez, unless you've had to live it!"

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Grundulum posted:

Did Rowling drop an N-bomb recently? I’m missing the connection of the “two G’s” tweet to reality.

It's more her choice of normalizing of a slur with two g's in it, of which we already have two. "Mudblood" is considered rude, but "Muggle" is the acceptable term for those people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

GodFish posted:

Magic methods of transportation introduced in each book.
1. Magic boat, magic train, brooms, sometimes wizards just vanish
2. Fireplaces, Magic car, magic sewage pipes, sometimes elves just vanish
3. Magic cars (different), Magic bus, Magic flying horses
4. Magic trash teleportation, vanishing is fully established, Magic boat (different), flying carpets, Magic flying horses and carriages
5. Magic elevators, Magic flying horses (different)
6. Linked Magic cabinets
7. Magic flushing yourself down toilets, Magic picture tunnels

Remember when, with all of this, their best plan for getting the main character out of his house when it was compromised was having a bunch of other people dress up as him and all fly in different directions during a storm? Think that's how she killed off Moody as well, to make sure nobody competent was a round to prevent the last book from being a camping trip.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pretty sure nobody competent would be around even if Moody wasn't iced though

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Pretty sure nobody competent would be around even if Moody wasn't iced though

Moody's biggest accomplishment was getting captured by the Only Competent Death Eater and kept in a Doctor Who trunk for eight months being periodically harvested of his fingernails and hair for Polyjuice reagents without escaping, and then he kinda just rode the coattails of the clout built up by his doppelganger

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Moody was an inside job by Bill because he really didn't want him at the wedding.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Around book 5 there's a clear decision that we have quite enough spells and potions now and the rest of the series can just mix and match them. Except zombies, gotta add some zombies.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 2, 2024

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

josh04 posted:

gotta add some zombies.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. :shrug:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Liquid Communism posted:

Remember when, with all of this, their best plan for getting the main character out of his house when it was compromised was having a bunch of other people dress up as him and all fly in different directions during a storm? Think that's how she killed off Moody as well, to make sure nobody competent was a round to prevent the last book from being a camping trip.

Harry has a cloak that makes you invisible he should have just put it on and walked out

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Piell posted:

Harry has a cloak that makes you invisible he should have just put it on and walked out

To everyone's knowledge this plan would be foiled by literally anyone saying "accio invisibility cloak". It turns out he has the one and only cloak not summoned by that but in fairness it's not like Dumbledore actually told anybody about it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

josh04 posted:

Around book 5 there's a clear decision that we have quite enough spells and potions now and the rest of the series can just mix and match them. Except zombies, gotta add some zombies.

Hey, don't forget about the liquid plot potion brought up in book 6!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Brofessor Slayton posted:

To everyone's knowledge this plan would be foiled by literally anyone saying "accio invisibility cloak". It turns out he has the one and only cloak not summoned by that but in fairness it's not like Dumbledore actually told anybody about it.
Yeah but is one of the Death Eaters just saying that on repeat while floating around his house?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah but is one of the Death Eaters just saying that on repeat while floating around his house?

Obviously every major operation involves one wizard on Cloak Duty. Drawing short straws is the muggle way of deciding who gets that kind of busywork, so they put everyone's name into a magically binding goblet or something.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
there is no rule that a dog can't play quidditch

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Asterite34 posted:

Moody's biggest accomplishment was getting captured by the Only Competent Death Eater and kept in a Doctor Who trunk for eight months being periodically harvested of his fingernails and hair for Polyjuice reagents without escaping, and then he kinda just rode the coattails of the clout built up by his doppelganger
I watched the films before reading the books because I was "too old" in 1997 to be reading a children's book and so when Moody was in the movies I thought 'that was weird; they must have cut most of his stuff from the books cause he seems important and has like a character design'. Later, I read the books with my wife and discovered that, nope, he's not important there either and is just some guy who shows up to wander around in a few scenes before being killed (off screen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cranappleberry posted:

there is no rule that a dog can't play quidditch

But dogs are too smart to do so.