Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/taliaotg/status/1785090324399784030?t=6WrJ6-3BwjISkpSJxnpmTQ&s=19

Uh wasn't making people stateless like literally a step on the ladder of the Holocaust

with kind reagrds,

lol loving assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jel Shaker posted:

they got away with two genocides already, might as well make it a habit

Herero, Jews and Romani.

That's 3.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ben Gevir brownshirt harrasses aljazeera reporter

===

https://youtu.be/no_FuyusqrM?si=8XfmCst6qe8GmdrQ

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Jel Shaker posted:

they got away with two genocides already, might as well make it a habit

way more than 3 lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/rcmoya84/status/1785114421200850948

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Herero, Jews and Romani.

That's 3.

I hope this question isn't too off-topic or distasteful: was Nazi Germany considered to have targeted Slavs, as an ethnicity, or was it more that they were targeting communists, of which Soviet peoples were all considered to be?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

Herero, Jews and Romani.

That's 3.

i was thinking Namibia and WW2 but yeah thinking about it they’ve repeatedly tried to exterminate numerous ethnic, religious and LGBTQ groups across several generations

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Its Ok, Israel said srebrenica was not a genocide

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hope this question isn't too off-topic or distasteful: was Nazi Germany considered to have targeted Slavs, as an ethnicity, or was it more that they were targeting communists, of which Soviet peoples were all considered to be?

distinction without a difference

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Germany vs Nicaragua

https://www.youtube.com/live/uxYUYht5pUo?si=jZ34N2vyfQovAATG

The AP feed doesn't seem the best though?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slavs were absolutely on the list to be exterminated as part of Generalplan Ost, after using them as slave labour first.

I guess I'm distinguishing here between purposefully carried out genocides and massive amounts of people killed primarily due to war but who were also thought of as subhuman and planned to be fully exterminated, but whose specific targeted genocide didn't progress past the war of conquest phase.

It's uhh, yeah... hmm...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

generalplan ost included the deportation and/or extermination of slavic peoples outside the ussr, so it was definitely targeted against slavs in general

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Germany vs Nicaragua

https://www.youtube.com/live/uxYUYht5pUo?si=jZ34N2vyfQovAATG

The AP feed doesn't seem the best though?

https://www.icj-cij.org/multimedia-live-original

ICJ live stream from the ICJ

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Court concludes no provisional measures necessary on UNRWA funding.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

OctaMurk posted:

Its Ok, Israel said srebrenica was not a genocide

boy the timing on that statement idk......

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Herero, Jews and Romani.

That's 3.

Maasai in their part of East Africa, 4.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Court finds 15 to 1 that no provisional measures are necessary on weapons shipments.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Court finds 15 to 1 that no provisional measures are necessary on weapons shipments.

dticj

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Only the Nicaraguan judge ad-hoc voted in favour of provisional measures.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
genocide is bad, but the enabling? the enabling is very good

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Betrayed by the rules based international order? Again?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

We can chat about this in whatever thread is the best fit for it, but German policy concerning Slavic people predates the Russian revolution and goes back to their plans for the colonization of Poland that existed around 1914 or earlier. This policy was informed by the American colonization of the western frontier and was considered to be a type of settlement so it necessitated the assimilation of Slavic people, and the elimination of Slavic Identity, but Slavic people on racial grounds weren’t targeted for extermination in the physical sense.

what happened later was that the October revolution and following events, obviously the struggles with the KPD in Germany and everything else, mutated things, so that they were kind of two parallel streams of German policy for the East. One was is by necessity exterminatory, and this was the one that targeted Jewish people and Communists, under that ideology of Judaeo-Bolshevism. so under this Slavic people that were communists, obviously were subject to extermination under the Kommissar order, and since all Jewish people were conceived to be communist, all Jewish people were targeted for extermination.

but then parallel to this is the continuation of that earlier German imperial era colonization, directed at the Polish population, as well as the other Slavs of the Soviet Union, such as the Ruthenians. Their nations, the idea that their race had an associated polity, were targeted for elimination, which is why Poland had a general government, and not not occupation or collaborator government, but the people themselves were deemed capable of being either Germanized, or you could say, devolved into a sort of peasant class, as it was imagined, existed under the Teutonic order. so this is why Polish intellectuals even at the level of school teachers were targeted for extermination, because they represented the ability of Polish “racial stock“ to organize into a nation or state.

So, really what you see in German policy in the east is two different forms of colonialism. You have the exterminatory kind, and then you have this earlier kind dating back to the German empire.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Apr 30, 2024

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Useless

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

genocide shmenocide we got bombs to sell

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/gaza-hospital-staff-questioned-by-icc-war-crimes-prosecutors-sources-say-2024-04-29/

quote:

Prosecutors from the International Criminal Court have interviewed staff from Gaza's two biggest hospitals, two sources told Reuters, the first confirmation that ICC investigators were speaking to medics about possible crimes in the Gaza Strip.

The sources, who asked not to be identified due to the sensitivity of the subject, told Reuters ICC investigators had taken testimony from staff who had worked in the main hospital in Gaza City in the north of the enclave, Al Shifa, and the main hospital in Khan Younis in the south, Nasser.

The sources declined to provide more details, citing concerns about the safety of potential witnesses.

One of the sources said that events surrounding the hospitals could become part of the investigation by the ICC, which hears criminal cases against individuals for war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide and aggression.

The ICC's office of the prosecutor declined to comment on operational matters in ongoing investigations citing the need to ensure the safety of victims and witnesses.

[...]

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

I know it’s a joke system but how do they square possible genocide by Israel in their own words then justify a country sending bombs and weapons to said country potentially committing genocide

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the same icc that said its OK to sell them infinite weapons? i dont think israel needs to be worried anymore

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

I know it’s a joke system but how do they square possible genocide by Israel in their own words then justify a country sending bombs and weapons to said country potentially committing genocide

the icc is a body for disposing of inconvenient africans once their purchase orders have dried up

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I had an extremely vivid dream last night about some Muslim ladies who came to our church and preached that God/Allah wanted Muslims and Christians to recognize His oneness together and unite in opposition to Israel and Zionism.

poo poo was intense and I woke up ready to throw hands

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

The court specifically cited it took note of this part of the defense:

No artillery shells or munitions have been provided and Germany's “very limited supply of war weaponry” is subject to “painstaking assessment” of legal risks, judges heard.

Mr Tams said 98 per cent of German sales since October 7 were for “other military equipment”, for example binocular lenses and infrared equipment.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I love painstakingly assessing the legal risks of my war weaponry shipments to an active genocide. It really shows I have my priorities in order.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Al! posted:

the same icc that said its OK to sell them infinite weapons? i dont think israel needs to be worried anymore

Ruling today was from the ICJ, article is about ICC

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

jesus loving christ dti dta

edit: also

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Bomber Harris didn’t go far enough dtg dti dta

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Chris Hedges is cool and good....

https://imgur.com/6Mbcg79.mp4

He said "head", somehow the auto translate changed it to rear end and I left it in.

Hammerstein has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Apr 30, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

so the important thing to realize when it comes to the Nazi conception of race is that it it had sort of a flexible meaning where with Jewish descent. There was a blood quantum used so that even Christian converts married to Christians with a single Jewish parent or grandparent were at times considered for extermination and were certainly suspect, hence, the proposals to sterilize them. Whereas in the east, relations between Germans, and Slavic people were more complicated.

so the Germans were absolutely talking about the extermination of Slavic people as a nation, but that definition did not extend to Germanized people of Slavic ancestry . The Volksdeutsch, and Volga Germans, all of these miscellaneous pockets of German settlement, dating back in some cases the 15th century or earlier, all had Slavic admixture, especially where the Polish nobility was concerned. I mean just look at some of the last names of Prussian Junkers and Polish aristocrats.

we can see this most clearly in the Sudetenland, which is often treated as one of Nazism‘s first triumphs, aided by fifth column that betrayed Czechoslovakia. In actuality, the policy of the Third Reich towards the Sudaten Germans was pretty ambivalent. They were considered to be of at least, partial, Czech ancestry, and partly sympathetic to the Czechs. however, because non-Jewish ethnicities weren’t considered to have the same kind of blood quantum thing, this was limited to minor-ish forms of discrimination.

taking that as a template, as well as the German populations that were encountered in some instances in western Ukraine and Poland, we can see that the Germans wanted the idea of the non-German ethnicity destroyed, but not the physical genetic material, to put it in their terminology.

Which isn’t to say, “they didn’t want to kill millions of Slavs”. Obviously they did, but how they defined the Jewish race was very different than how they defined other races.

Which is kind of a problem with trying to understand Nazism generally, right? I mean there were no coherent definitions. There was the use of (the language of) science, there was the use of genetics, but then there was the belief that a political ideology was inherently connected to a race. The same thing applied up and down the line to religion and culture, language, and so on. The Nazis couldn’t decide if these were inheritable genetic traits, or if they could be modified.

You have to remember that the Jewish population of Germany was considered by the end of the 19th century to be almost entirely assimilated. That’s night and day compared to the Jewish population in the pale of settlement. so the Germans faced this problem where they had competing forms of colonialization, competing forms of genocide, whether it’s physical extermination or assimilation, competing ideas of what constituted race, ethnicity, culture, language, religion.

From the German perspective, the Romani people, and the shtetl bound communities of the pale of settlement were “easy”, relatively speaking, to identify, isolate, exterminate. but in Central Europe, there had been in the 1880s and 90s a massive patriotic movement of Hungarian, Romanian, Czech Jews to adopt gentile surnames, and as reformed to secular Jews, to dress in the “national” fashion. these were not Yiddish speaking people with distinctive, religious dress, and obviously Jewish last names.

and so all of those problems would’ve been magnified many many times when it came to the Slavic people, because the Germans didn’t have a coherent definition to decide which Slavic people were Germanized, and which were “subversive” in their minds. from what we can tell basically, they were limited to targeting urban centres and educated people as part of the plan to destroy a national identity, and leave only a sort of “peasant stock” that could be absorbed as in this mythologized Teutonic Baltic of the early modern era. Other than that, they had no real plan they could put into action.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Apr 30, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

youcallthatatwist posted:

Ruling today was from the ICJ, article is about ICC

geez how many fake international courts does the un need

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

madmatt112 posted:

I had an extremely vivid dream last night about some Muslim ladies who came to our church and preached that God/Allah wanted Muslims and Christians to recognize His oneness together and unite in opposition to Israel and Zionism.

poo poo was intense and I woke up ready to throw hands

it's a shame modernity robbed you of the opportunity to call this a bone fide vision and start a lucrative new career as a prophet.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

so the important thing to realize when it comes to the Nazi conception of race is that it it had sort of a flexible meaning where with Jewish descent. There was a blood quantum used so that even Christian converts married to Christians with a single Jewish parent or grandparent were at times considered for extermination and were certainly suspect, hence, the proposals to sterilize them. Whereas in the east, relations between Germans, and Slavic people were more complicated.

I remember reading one of the more petty tragedies of this classification system was wives who felt compelled to disavow kid's doomed fathers and claim said kids were bastards to save them from the state. Not sure how widespread it was as a phenomenon, but just the... I don't know indignity on top of the inhumanity left an impression.

Orange Devil posted:

I love painstakingly assessing the legal risks of my war weaponry shipments to an active genocide. It really shows I have my priorities in order.

you gotta pinkie promise only to use these bullets on bad guys ok?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

The court specifically cited it took note of this part of the defense:

No artillery shells or munitions have been provided and Germany's “very limited supply of war weaponry” is subject to “painstaking assessment” of legal risks, judges heard.

Mr Tams said 98 per cent of German sales since October 7 were for “other military equipment”, for example binocular lenses and infrared equipment.

Useless turds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thank you for the thoughtful responses