Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When it comes to sensory issues, what's worse? A bit of fabric digging into your shoulder, or a bunch of glass shards embedded in your face? Then again, people with that type of issue might just avoid it entirely via public transit, which often doesn't have seatbelts anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The only car accident I was ever in was when a Toyota Tundra slammed into my driver's side at 60 mph. I was wearing a seatbelt and got a face full of glass shards anyway. I got double sensory overload.

edit: actually I apparently was in shock because I was covered in blood from the thousand tiny glass cuts on the left side of my face, but didn't register that at all until an hour later when I got home and my roommate saw me.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Nebrilos posted:

Wasn't there a ship nearby that could have saved many people, but it had turned its radio off for the night and didn't receive the Titanic's distress call? Of course liberals will always politicize everything and exploit tragedies for their own political agendas because this tragedy was used to FORCE all ships to keep their radios on at all times.

Californian had stopped in the same ice field about fifteen miles away from Titanic, and sent a message out to warn of the ice. Because the warning wasn't an official "message to the bridge" and Californian was so close, the message would've been incredibly loud in the Titanic operator's ears, so he basically ripped off his headphones at the noise and shot back a "shut the gently caress up" message, probably before Californian was able to complete the message.

The Californian operator probably thought "well, I warned them, if they're gonna be stupid then it's on them" and shut the radio off and went to bed.

There was another way to signal distress without radios (send up rockets with noisemakers, every 60 seconds), but the officers on the Titanic only sent silent rockets up every six or seven minutes, so the Californian's watch probably thought they were just sending up a "my radio's hosed, but here's my position" message.

It's all moot, because Californian probably couldn't have got there on time with cold boilers; the earliest they would've known of a problem was 80 minutes before sinking and they were an hour away at top speed from Titanic. Carpathia - who was three hours away but had an hour's head start - got there as fast as they could, but had to permanently damage the engines and dodge a poo poo ton of icebergs to get there two hours late.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I vaguely remembered about the Carpathia but I didn't hear that about the engines, that's some legendary poo poo that should be remembered more.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There's an urban legend that they were pushing the engines so much that one of the lead firemen put his hat over the pressure gauge so they could have plausible deniability.

In any event, in the mad dash to Titanic Carpathia broke the speed she set during her sea trials, which is no mean feat given all the circumstances.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why not just make a bigger boat?

Better idea: instead of have passengers cross the sea in a cruise ship, just send them across the sea in the life boats! So much simpler!

Decrepus posted:

The cruise ship that follows the first one carrying all of its luggage should have been the one to rescue everyone

It's actually really gross how rich people try to boast about crossing the Atlantic in a cruise ship, when, in fact, they were supported the whole way by worker cruise ships that traveled back and forth carrying all the equipment and food, themselves crossing the Atlantic 40 times piecemeal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://x.com/jeff_tischauser/status/1791601182055502188

I was going to also post "letthemfight.gif" but realized I actually kinda like George Santos. I genuinely wish he was still in congress over like at least 90% of the rest of the Republican caucus. His politics are probably equally horrible, but he's more entertaining.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Nebrilos posted:

Better idea: instead of have passengers cross the sea in a cruise ship, just send them across the sea in the life boats! So much simpler!

Even betterer idea: make the cruise ships from the same material they use to make aircraft black boxes :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Air Skwirl posted:

I was going to also post "letthemfight.gif" but realized I actually kinda like George Santos. I genuinely wish he was still in congress over like at least 90% of the rest of the Republican caucus. His politics are probably equally horrible, but he's more entertaining.

He should have just said, yeah I lied to get elected, do you think that's worse than what these other guys did to be in Congress? And everybody would be like yeah, you are right

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

He should have just said, yeah I lied to get elected, do you think that's worse than what these other guys did to be in Congress? And everybody would be like yeah, you are right

Congress makes the rules about what they'll deal with in there though and calling them out to their faces was never going to go over well with that set.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Burning_Monk posted:

Had a convo with a boomer once about seatbelts. He was "bu' my freedumb!" and how The Man was just making laws for no reason. When he asked me why I would want to wear a seatbelt I explained how I had a friend that took his off to find his inhaler while in a car and it crashed, flipped, and tossed him out and then rolled over his body. And I didn't want anyone I know going to my funeral like I did his.

"Well... I ain't wearing one." was his only reply.

Anyone not wearing a seatbelt becomes a projectile. This was a government “wear your loving seatbelt” ad in the UK.

https://youtu.be/mKHY69AFstE?si=CibslAvQIljoDAch

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ads used to be so much more hardcore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inceltown posted:

Congress makes the rules about what they'll deal with in there though and calling them out to their faces was never going to go over well with that set.

Also there's a decent chance he goes to jail for the numerous crimes he committed. He only got booted from congress when it became clear he was going to probably go to jail. The Republicans were happy to keep him for at least the term until that happened.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

There's an urban legend that they were pushing the engines so much that one of the lead firemen put his hat over the pressure gauge so they could have plausible deniability.

In any event, in the mad dash to Titanic Carpathia broke the speed she set during her sea trials, which is no mean feat given all the circumstances.

Not true, I'm afraid.

The legend that Carpathia, the smallest, slowest Cunarder on the Atlantic, broke her trials speed in the brave dash to assist the Titanic is based entirely on the assumption that she was 58 miles from the Titanic's position when she started her run.

In fact the broadcast position was out by 14 miles or so - 14 miles nearer to the Carpathia than the legendary tale.

That puts the Carpathia's average speed at just under 14knts, not the 15.5knts of her trial speed or the 17knts of legend.

It's also close to the "15, 16 knots" that the Carpathia's wireless operator messaged the Titanic to say they were making.

It's still an impressive performance. When you allow for the fact that Carpathia had to veer course to avoid floating ice and suddenly slow for icebergs near the end of her run, then maintaining a knot or so below her trials speed as an average over 3.5 hours is remarkable.

The reality takes nothing away from Captain Rostron's skill and bold decision making. The briefing orders he gave to his heads of department as the ship began its run are a masterclass in foresight and leadership, and his shiphandling on the approach to the rescue sight was exemplary.

But he also had a talent for (self) publicity and spinning a narrative and while he must have known the legend of the 17knt dash was impossible, he let it stand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For ordinary ships in typical operating regimes, power requirements increase with the cube of the speed.

To go ten percent faster, you can’t just eke out ten percent more power. You’d need more like thirty‐two percent more power.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Stoatbringer posted:

Anyone not wearing a seatbelt becomes a projectile. This was a government “wear your loving seatbelt” ad in the UK.

https://youtu.be/mKHY69AFstE?si=CibslAvQIljoDAch

This ad comes to my mind every single time I sit in the back seat of a vehicle. I never travel without my seatbelt and it's directly because this is burned into my brain.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

For the love of God, gayptresor!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's a maximum speed dictated by the hull. Once that speed is reached, resistance suddenly spikes massively. Unless the hull is made specifically to counteract this (and large vessels aren't), hull speed is a brick wall that can't be exceeded.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I hit a guy head on at 50mph when he failed to yield turning left across my lane. the seatbelt and airbag 100% saved my life. ended up with a black seatbelt-shaped bruise across my chest and waist and a concussion, but got up and walked away.

the police on the scene when I woke up did not give a single gently caress, and just kinda pointed me across the street to get picked up by my wife after being out cold for like fifteen minutes lmao

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

If you listen to knowledge fight you’d hear when Fuentes comes on. He’s much more coherent and capable of delivering his (Nazi) message and it drives Jones nuts with jealously. The segment always ends with him “jokingly” asking when Fuentes is going to get married and have kids. There is a very obvious implication from Jones that Fuentes is never going to do that because he is hella gay. It’s his way of reasserting himself and it’s hilarious to watch these two shitheads fight over fascist table scraps

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

remember when a bunch of his accusers got murdered out of nowhere

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I....actually do not. Is that real?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I dont remember that either, are you confusing Kevin Spacey with Boeing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SiKboy posted:

I dont remember that either, are you confusing Kevin Spacey with Boeing?

No

https://www.distractify.com/p/kevin-spacey-accusers-now#:~:text=In%202019%2C%20two%20of%20Kevin,died%20of%20an%20apparent%20suicide.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Okay, 2 might not be "a bunch" but it is suspicious as gently caress

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i love elon musk. i love people who think he is a good businessman

https://twitter.com/dimedocs/status/1791225306319089917?t=rD1gTozPIN9FGj0ovd3LEA&s=19

https://twitter.com/LazarusCrystalz/status/1791296677044728098?t=2TJs2yUgrotqChijKgbFTA&s=19

https://twitter.com/VBatteur/status/1791299503519117659?t=BxmGIDym8Xq806QWN1Jb9w&s=19

https://twitter.com/Yoloooer/status/1791299505549123649?t=0QfNOMpMwLGOJkOwQuDJfg&s=19

i love that this is what you will see for the rest of your life no matter where you go online:shepicide:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Why are they just posting numbers?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

you are thinking of "House of Cards", a TV show starring Kevin Spacey

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Weatherman posted:

Even betterer idea: make the cruise ships from the same material they use to make aircraft black boxes :smug:

That wouldn't work. Aircraft black boxes are made out of titanium, not lighter-weight aluminum. The cruise ships would be too heavy to fly.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/SonjaAgora/status/1791350924449140940
https://twitter.com/SonjaAgora/status/1791524185149444116

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Just heard tell that the chuds are really mad at a particular type of marketing which is designed to maximise all forms of engagement on mass media platforms.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dongicus posted:

Just heard tell that the chuds are really mad at a particular type of marketing which is designed to maximise all forms of engagement on mass media platforms.

Big if true

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1791616937778163766?t=atxmHYTdmN6V-v_gYWJsRA&s=19

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love that they think stagnant follower numbers mean they're being hidden.

Maybe all you chuds have already followed each other in an incestuous little hate orgy and nobody else wants in

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
let.them.fight.gif and all that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I guess the cat poo poo guy got over being mad at elon for not making the cut for the big Totally Real Totally Legit engagement payout earlier

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

I feel the same about Herschel Walker. If he hadn't been an existential threat to a lot of people he'd be pretty fun. Like sure man, show off your plastic cowboy sheriff's badge, go on tangents about Blade.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Teacher teacher make the other kids like me!!

It'll never be enough, feline poo poo, nobody likes you and it's not because they're not seeing your posts, but because you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lmao
https://twitter.com/LarkinWilder/status/1791451941085630840?t=SRuEv3uWfmSOyPa7qTjzmw&s=19