Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In the far future, an old Toshiba plant has gained sentience. They have sent back a Terminator to ensure that HD-DVD wins the high def format war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well it should have :colbert:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So this is probably a dumb question but my google fu isn't coming up with any answers. Can I play a 4k blu ray on a non-4k TV? I'm assuming not but I'd like to be sure.

e: For that matter, would a 4k blu ray even work on a regular blu ray player like the PS3/PS4?

e2:

computer parts posted:

4k Blu-rays won't work on a non-4k player as far as I know, but they should work on a non-4k TV as long as the player can hook up to the TV (it just won't be in 4k obviously).

Thanks for the answer. It seems neither of my Blu-ray players are capable of decoding the copy protection so it's a moot point.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 2, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TTBF posted:

So this is probably a dumb question but my google fu isn't coming up with any answers. Can I play a 4k blu ray on a non-4k TV? I'm assuming not but I'd like to be sure.

e: For that matter, would a 4k blu ray even work on a regular blu ray player like the PS3/PS4?

4k Blu-rays won't work on a non-4k player as far as I know, but they should work on a non-4k TV as long as the player can hook up to the TV (it just won't be in 4k obviously).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Hobbit Trilogy 3D is $47.99 in today's deal of the day at Amazon. Pretty amazing deal if you dig those movies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TIN246HAQ2A46V5

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

computer parts posted:

Are you sure about this? I just thought that if you played a 4K mastered blu-ray the only thing that happens is that you don't see the full resolution.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Aren't HK flicks renowned for being kept in awful conditions to the point where even the classics are in a dreadful state? I'm gonna guess a lot of the Kung fu masters are probably not in a state worth mastering beyond whatever DVD release exist.

I've spoken with people desperately trying to improve HK film preservation, and this is almost always the case, but things are improving, thanks especially to the Hong Kong Film Archive which has been doing amazing work.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Are you sure about this? I just thought that if you played a 4K mastered blu-ray the only thing that happens is that you don't see the full resolution.

I think he's talking about UHD on the next version of Blu-Ray, not 4K mastered Blu-Rays.

quote:

Besides being compatible with the 10,000~ Blu-ray discs already out, Ultra HD Blu-ray players will be ready for high-res 3,840 x 2,160 video, "next generation object-based sound formats" (think DTS: X and Dolby Atmos), more colors, high dynamic range (HDR) and even high frame rate video. That's a lot of buzzwords to say movies will have the capability to look and sound better at your home than they ever have before. The BDA also made vague reference to a "digital bridge" setup for extending your movie purchased on a disc to other devices like phones and tablets, but didn't say exactly how that will work, or if it's going to be any better than Ultraviolet.

The discs themselves are upgraded too, ready to hold 66GB or 100GB of data, up from the 25GB/50GB size of the current Blu-ray spec. According to the association licensing is expected to start this summer, and Samsung already announced it plans to release a player later this year.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 3, 2015

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CPL593H posted:

This is kind of wrong no matter how you come at it.

The "4K Mastered" Blu-rays currently available are still 1080p, they're just derived from 4K scans of the original film elements that are then downscaled to 1080p. That is a great improvement, don't get me wrong - a Blu-ray soars or falters based on the quality of its scan, so a modern 4K scan is a great starting point. But it's still downscaled to 1080p for the Blu-ray, so playing it on a 4K TV doesn't magically re-introduce the lost resolution from the actual 4K source.

There are two actual tech differences on the 4K discs - improved color space and support from a proprietary Sony 4K algorithm. The color space, while a good thing, has nothing to do with 2K vs. 4K. If you have a TV that supports it, you can utilize this feature, 4K or not. The algorithm is... iffy. Sony is basically saying that, because they know the algorithm used for downscaling in the Blu-rays and the algorithm used for upscaling by the 4K TV, you get the highest quality upscaling when you pair a Sony Mastered in 4K Blu-ray with a Sony 4K TV. So for this to even hypothetically work, you don't need just any 4K TV, you need a Sony 4K TV. And even then, you're still absolutely not getting true 4K resolution, it's upscaling from 1080p on the BD to the TV's 4K resolution, it's just supposedly doing so "better." Whoo.

So "Mastered in 4K" 1080p BD - always 1080p in true resolution, plus upscaling if you're using a 4K TV.

A new Ultra HD Blu-ray, aka the true 4K Blu-ray, will only play in an Ultra HD Blu-ray player. So, time to buy a new player everyone! The player is necessary because the discs are fundamentally different, in size and data format. However, as long as you have the player, you can use these discs on both 1080p and 4K TVs. You obviously only see the full 4K resolution on a 4K TV, but the player will presumably be able to downscale to 1080p for display on an older TV just fine, and the result will likely be similar to playing the "Mastered In 4K" BDs on a 1080p TV (arguably a little worse due to on-the-fly downscaling versus offline downscaling performed under Sony Film's watchful eye).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'm not buying no drat new player, poo poo I just got an XBox One. I got 1080p, I got widescreen, I got all the advantages of digital, I'm good. My copy of Taxi Driver is definitive enough.

Can't even watch Bad Boys II on this poo poo anyway...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

I'm not buying no drat new player, poo poo
You and everyone else, which is why UHD Blu-Ray is doomed to fail.

Only way I see it succeeding is if you can pop in the disc and be playing the feature in less than 10 seconds.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Best Of Bogart boxset is only $24.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TFQUHLBTGQEGFIZ

Not bad for four stone cold classics (Casablanca/Maltese Falcon/African Queen/Treasure Of Sierra Madre)

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Rastor posted:

You and everyone else, which is why UHD Blu-Ray is doomed to fail.

Only way I see it succeeding is if you can pop in the disc and be playing the feature in less than 10 seconds.

I don't think there's any hope it will replace BD the way BD was supposed to replace DVD. It's just an add-on for BD, the way BD 3D was an add (that also required a new player and new TV).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There's a Japanese release of Groundhog Day that's making all sorts of waves.

On one hands, there's comparison shots like this that are :vince:

And some that are :yikes:

And some that have some their own strengths and negatives

Probably not worth importing but it's interesting to see.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I must be missing something because all the screen caps from the Japan blu-ray look really muted and lacking in detail.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
That Japanese disc has way more resolution and detail (but looks pretty teal), though the other disc tries to make up for it with some edge enhancement/sharpening. Jpeg compression also hurts the comparison a bit, here's an uncompressed pair:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A friend of mine is complaining that the iTunes Jurassic Park has better image quality than his blu-ray. Is there a particular blu-ray that's best or do they all have problems.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

A friend of mine is complaining that the iTunes Jurassic Park has better image quality than his blu-ray. Is there a particular blu-ray that's best or do they all have problems.

I have a pretty basic bare bones JP blu ray and I think it looks fine, I've never noticed any problems with it. I'm not really all that good at noticing these things though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Yun posted:

The regular Blu-ray used an older transfer of the movie and it isn't stellar -- not terrible but not exactly reference-quality, either. The film was remastered for the 3D Blu-ray and it looks loving amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Will the 3D version also play in 2D bluray players?

Or, if there's an included 2D disc in the same package, is that also remastered like the 3D?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Timby posted:

The regular Blu-ray used an older transfer of the movie and it isn't stellar -- not terrible but not exactly reference-quality, either. The film was remastered for the 3D Blu-ray and it looks loving amazing.

When you say it was remastered for 3D Blu Ray, does that mean it's only available as a 3D Blu Ray or is it on non-3D Blu Ray as well?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

When you say it was remastered for 3D Blu Ray, does that mean it's only available as a 3D Blu Ray or is it on non-3D Blu Ray as well?

Only as a 3d blu ray that only plays on a 3d TV. The 2d blu ray that comes with that 3d set is still the same old blu ray with the hosed up colors.

Rumor has it in the dark corners of the internet that if you somehow can rip one of the eyes from the 3d version then you will have your very own copy of the new transfer in 2d.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the info guys. Ahh, that makes me sad.

One of the few really annoying things about the Blade Runner special edition was that only the Final Cut got the remastering, and they couldn't be bothered to stick that remastered footage into the Director's Cut, which I actually preferred slightly.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lots of animation releases coming up!

Thunderbean Animation just put up a pre-order of the complete Ub Iwerks' Willie Whopper cartoons. Thunderbean is also working on Blu-Ray sets for Iwerks' Flip the Frog, ComiColor, as well as a Blu upgrade of their Private Snafu collection. Check out the website for some of the restoration clips - a lot of these are new 4K restorations from rediscovered camera negatives.

Kino Classics will be releasing several collections of 1960s DePatie-Freleng cartoons, including complete sets for The Inspector, The Ant and the Aardvark, and Crazy Legs Crane. They're also working on 2016 releases for Blue Racer, Dogfather, Misterjaw, Roland and Ratfink, Hoot Kloot, and Tijuana Toads.

Also, Warner announced two box sets of new-to-Blu titles. All films also available individually.

Special Effects Collection - Oct 6
Son of Kong
Mighty Joe Young
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
Them!

Hammer Horror Collection - Oct 6
The Mummy
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
Frankenstein Must be Destroyed
Taste the Blood of Dracula

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dat effects collection. Man.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dat effects collection. Man.

They're both good collections, but yeah, that effects collection looks amazing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I hate it when they release collections that are just random rear end semi-related films. Where the hell is my proper Hammer set with all of those movies? Or even just "here are all the Dracula ones, here's another set with the Frankenstein films," etc? Or if they're doing a set of films mixing the series, at least put in the first one of each series, if not just the first handful in chronological order of release.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

I hate it when they release collections that are just random rear end semi-related films. Where the hell is my proper Hammer set with all of those movies? Or even just "here are all the Dracula ones, here's another set with the Frankenstein films," etc? Or if they're doing a set of films mixing the series, at least put in the first one of each series, if not just the first handful in chronological order of release.

Also when are they going to release the original Dracula in the US?

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

TheJoker138 posted:

Hammer rights are all sorts of hosed in the US.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Hammer rights are all sorts of hosed in the US.

If they can sort out the mess that was the Batman '66 rights, then god drat it they can do this.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

If they can sort out the mess that was the Batman '66 rights, then god drat it they can do this.

Fox simply licensed the show to Warner. It also seems that part of the deal was Warner covering remastering costs.

Actually, Hammer should be easy since most of the US rights are with Warner now, including the Paramount licenses through their home video distribution. That just leaves a few distributed by Universal and MGM, but apparently they own worldwide distribution for those particular titles (like The Hound of the Baskervilles and the '61 Phantom of the Opera). However, the original elements are owned by StudioCanal. I suspect that The Mummy was picked because the SC master is probably the best quality of the classic films - both Dracula and Frankenstein have issues with color and noise reduction. It also didn't help that StudioCanal added open matte versions to their discs, which wasted a lot of space.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

It's not like that one happened real quick.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

It's not like that one happened real quick.

Also, there were people on both sides who wanted that to happen.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Spirited Away comes out tomorrow. Castle of Cogliostro (miyazaki's first directing gig) comes out next week.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber has a bunch of silents coming later this year, including two Murnau films.

The Epic of Everest - Sept 8
Diary of a Lost Girl - Oct 20
Faust - Nov 17
Tabu: A Story of the South Seas - Nov 17

The UK releases were from BFI (Everest) and Masters of Cinema. All great remasters, too.

And the Coens' The Man Who Wasn't There on Sept. 8 from Universal.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 17, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are there 2 different versions of Chappie on Blu-Ray or something? I rented it from Redbox earlier and it was just a barebones disc, with just the movie, languages, scene selection and previews on the main menu, but on Blu-Ray.com, a bunch of extras are listed.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are there 2 different versions of Chappie on Blu-Ray or something? I rented it from Redbox earlier and it was just a barebones disc, with just the movie, languages, scene selection and previews on the main menu, but on Blu-Ray.com, a bunch of extras are listed.

A lot of movies have rental versions with special features removed. I assume that is the case here (or they are on a second disc.)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I don't know about Redbox, but Netflix discs are often gutted of special features to 'encourage' you to buy the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Usually there's the retail version with full extras and a rental-only disc with just the movie. Netflix usually carries the full discs, but Redbox usually has the pared down versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It might be a rental version of the disc, I remember those coming out a lot back when I was actually renting movies and they were totally barebones.

• Locked thread