Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Billzasilver posted:

Some of the English voice acting is burned in to my brain. Dynasty Warriors does gruff old man voices really well. But my favorite line is from kessen/samurai warriors:

:black101: Let my Tonbogiri be your passage to HELL!

"Great Bishamonten, God of War..."

"Why?! Why arent they... reloading!"
"If one line fires while another reloads, continuous fire can be achived"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

But my favorite line is from kessen/samurai warriors:

"I will destroy anything that you throw at me!"
"But what if I threw kittens at you, Tadakatsu? Would you kill them too?"

Really, the greatest tragedy of the loss of the SW dub is we no longer get access to crazy old man Shingen Takeda.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Musou abso-fuckin'-lutely sucked though.

Ya that's true. Trucking motherfuckers like she's the world's tiniest fullback is a definite improvement.

Looking up old musous I had a weird moment because I still treat her, guan ping, and ling tong like newcomers. gently caress, mentally I still think of Zhou Tai as a newcomer and he was introduced almost 15 years ago!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Meme Emulator posted:

"Great Bishamonten, God of War..."

"Why?! Why arent they... reloading!"
"If one line fires while another reloads, continuous fire can be achived"

"The might of one warrior is no longer a match for numbers and strategy."

I appreciate the line, but talk about the wrong series to say it in, 'Caobunaga'.

Then again, Samurai Warriors 1 scaled the strength of enemies based on how powerful you were, so it was often true.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloodly posted:

Then again, Samurai Warriors 1 scaled the strength of enemies based on how powerful you were, so it was often true.

it was based on your level so you could clown on hell-difficulty tadakatsu honda with a lv1 character with maxed skills, an ultimate weapon, and items that gave at least +40 to your stats

samurai warriors 1 was also the one where it actually would've made sense for enemies not to scale to your level, because it actually had meaningful branching paths and alternate endings for pulling off ahistorical feats of strength

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's one major problem I have with pretty much all Warriors games. The fact that the difficulty is all over the loving place.

I hope they do something about that in DW9.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

alpha_destroy posted:

gently caress, mentally I still think of Zhou Tai as a newcomer and he was introduced almost 15 years ago!
Anyone introduced after DW3 is forever a newcomer.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Davincie posted:

the return of clone weapons and the not too great quality looking gameplay theyre putting out combined with all the cut stuff (multi, alt history routes) has me pretty wary about dw9 by now.

Truth. This coupled with the claim "no really guys, we're going for a more historical feel with this one" smells an awful lot like the lead-up to DW6 (which then had Sima yi slinging around monofilaments from his clawed gauntlets anyway, which I'm sure was definitely a thing).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they updated the site with all the chars from the magazine scan

lost her weapon

didn't they say realistic weapons?

ignoring the weapons, i think everyones outfits are on point

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
What's Xingcai going to use if Lu stole hers?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

PureRok posted:

What's Xingcai going to use if Lu stole hers?
Most likely her DW5 weapon, which replaces the sword with a fork (not the sort you eat with). Keeps the shield though.

Other than that, I can only guess a smaller version of Zhang Fei's pike (or something similar), which would be a dumb decision.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Or maybe lu lingqi just borrowed the sword and shield as a clone moveset

Cause xiahou yuan has taishi ci's twin rods, and considering he's had those since dw1 I'd be shocked if they took them away from him (though I think they did for dw6)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Who even is that? Looks like Xiahou Dun but as a wuss

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's Xun You.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

lost her weapon

didn't they say realistic weapons?

I think that's a fancy, single-bladed urumi. So even if it isn't Chinese, it is at least somewhat connected to reality.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The Wu popularity pool is up

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/895990688180879361

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Something something Tiger something something Giant Dong

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
gan ning, zhou tai, and sun jian... a difficult selection

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sun is my fav faction, and i don't even recognize half these dudes. Gan Ning is, uh.... someone? Zhou Tai was the one who could air dash, maybe? Good for quick movement. Aside from that, i only remember the surfer dude (and by that i mean the Gai who smashes his opponents with a boat) and the fanned whirlwind of upbeat death. Xiao Qiao.

And Shang Xiang, i guess, just because she's been around forever.

edit: actually, Lu Meng was/is my fav Sun character, but i can't recognize him without a helmet :corsair:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 12, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I still miss Gan Ning's ridiculous musou attack from back when he still used a sword. :sigh:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

HenryEx posted:

Sun is my fav faction, and i don't even recognize half these dudes. Gan Ning is, uh.... someone? Zhou Tai was the one who could air dash, maybe? Good for quick movement. Aside from that, i only remember the surfer dude (and by that i mean the Gai who smashes his opponents with a boat) and the fanned whirlwind of upbeat death. Xiao Qiao.

And Shang Xiang, i guess, just because she's been around forever.

edit: actually, Lu Meng was/is my fav Sun character, but i can't recognize him without a helmet :corsair:

this post disrespects the burning pride of the sun family...

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Keeshhound posted:

I still miss Gan Ning's ridiculous musou attack from back when he still used a sword. :sigh:

It was so good for just blasting across a map if you didn't have a horse

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Davincie posted:

lost her weapon

i disagree. I am less upset Lu Lingqi lost her weapon and more upset she is wearing the shorts from my high-school physical education class.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

alpha_destroy posted:

i disagree. I am less upset Lu Lingqi lost her weapon and more upset she is wearing the shorts from my high-school physical education class.

Pants are a long lost art.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sword and shield is cool, but so was her crossblade thing, so I'm torn.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

alpha_destroy posted:

She needed the material for her butt cape.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

I feel like some mystique has been lost. The sword & shield wasn't very fun imo, it wasn't as mobile IIRC.

There hasn't been any solid gameplay footage yet has there?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

alpha_destroy posted:

Did your gym shorts really have slits like that?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Maybe this time she'll get to do things considering she placed pretty high in the popularity poll.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
What an interesting way to reward fans by taking away her weapon that made her fun to control

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Especially given it was a hand-me-down from Lu Bu, which was honestly kinda fitting.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

kissekatt posted:

Did your gym shorts really have slits like that?

Not to that extreme, but you know the photo of Al Gore in shorts, they were kind of like that. Boys and girls had the same shorts. Boys being boys, we all bought like XXL's.

Also, does she have a spinal injury? The more I look at that picture the weirder it looks.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 12, 2017

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mr. Leonheart posted:

It was so good for just blasting across a map if you didn't have a horse

Wonderful memories of grabbing the temporarily-unlimited musou item as Gan Ning.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm not super upset, I don't think Lingqi had the personality to match the ludicrous hellblade, a blank cypher like Link is more fitting

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/897441495975723012 Lu Bu and friends turn for the poll

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
what was the trick again to vote without having a facebook account?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sefal posted:

what was the trick again to vote without having a facebook account?

I hit back on my phone, and it just loaded straight to the poll. Not sure how that works, tbh, but it does!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

For anyone in the North America region, the PSN is having a big "Attack of the Blockbusters" sale right now and some TK stuff is in it. Discounts are the PS+ subscriber tier, so if you aren't a subscriber be sure to double check to see what it is for you.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13's Fame & Strategy Expansion Bundle is 30% off. The expansion pack DLC is 20% off.
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence: Ascension is 50% off.
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends: Complete Edition is 60% off.
Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is 60% off.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

This sale was great - I have been interested in the ROTK series since the SNES era, but I never bit. But I read the talk here about how the latest Nobunaga's Ambition, Ascension, was a better execution on a lot of the ideas, aaaand it was cheaper...and turns out it's loving awesome!

I'm now wondering if some of the criticisms of ROTK13+Expansion apply if I've never played one before? With nothing to compare it to, and buying it all together instead of paying another 30 bucks on top of the whatever-price they was charging y'all originally...could it be more-worth-it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
ROTK13 is a good and fun game if you haven't played one before, and should you want a far more complex and ugly take on the same concept dig out your PS2 and find a used copy of ROTK X.