Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Drakes posted:

For me its just a hassle, I'm not interested making my build workable for PvP. Nor do I want to cluster up my consumable button with a bunch of items in the off off chance there's PvP. I don't want to worry about min/maxing my upgrades in case an invader also min/max'd. A lot of weapons / builds are fine for pve, but that's less the case for PvP as people figure out what to min/max.

I could be farming then get invaded and go through the hassle of getting my gear on. Then adjusting consumables to edge my chances. Or just hide in a hole and alt-tab for awhile :v:.

Have you ever even tried to PvP for a decent length of time? Most people you find won't be running some dedicated PvP build. It's seriously a lot less hard or complicated than you think. I maxed out the dragon covenant with the first character I made. He had 4 vigor. Only things on my toolbar were my estus and the dragon eye. Hell, I'd say it's more fun to fight with an unoptimized build, the victories will feel even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Bobnumerotres posted:

His only attack that gave me a lot of trouble was the dark spirit bomb. If I dodged it I'd get hit by the explosion, if I blocked it my guard would break and he'd move in for the kill. I pretty much just hoped he wouldn't use that attack :shrug:

Oh yeah, that attack is tough. The best advice I can give is that he has a really long windup for it and a long cooldown afterward, so you have enough time to see the other black orb that the projectile will be coming from and dash away from it. I just sprinted away, and by the time it's shot at you it won't have enough trajectory to hit the ground, so you can roll out of the way and it will sail past you and hit the wall.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

EC posted:

As a host you have a tremendous advantage over invaders, though. You can hide and wait till their timer is up. You can heal whereas they can't. Lag even favors the host 90% of the time. If you just straight up don't like it then I guess...play offline? Join the BlueCov to pull in cops to protect you? Stay hollow so the odds you'll get invaded are lower than other people?

As the invader you may invade a lot and probably have the PvP experience going for you. Not to mention a game plan, a set of equipment/upgrades much suited for killing players. Over the host who is just beating on mobs.

And if the host has no phantoms the whole world is your ally. The pits, the monsters, and any other deathtraps.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
You can kill people fine with a random rear end pve build. I'm completely and utterly terrible at pvp and I still go at least 50-50 by mashing R1 on the odd occasion I'm invaded/actually feel like pvping.

The people you're fighting aren't invincible (unless they literally are invincible, then they're hacking,) if you do a lot of damage in pve, you will do a lot of damage in pvp. All it takes is one attack that stuns and you have an excellent chance of beating anyone.

Here's a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NNGs2bSJx8

Not me, but some guy who got invaded during a no death/no bonfire run in NG+. He's hardly running a dedicated pvp build yet he still managed to end up 4 shotting the invader by mashing r1. All the item tricks in the world don't matter if you end up eating the first hit.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 8, 2014

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

Atoramos posted:

Can you just ascetic that area, or does it need NG+?

Needs NG+. Using an ascetic doesn't reset Navlaan, since his invasion stuff has already been triggered game-wide.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I don't think I like anything about Brightstone Cove Tseldora. The decor, the way the basic enemies get an instant free close-range attack when they die, the enemies, the level design, any of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Brightstone Cove is a weirdly designed area. There's only one non-shortcut-related path that leads to the boss room and there's at least one area there's no way out of once you enter (the webs on the way to the fog gate can take you down, but not back up). As well, the spider hollows' free hit thing confuses me because there isn't even an animation for it that I can tell; they're just kinda wonky. I did like the spiders coming out of the sand though; as freaky as it was, it reminded me of Half-Life 2 a bit.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Darklurker Chat:

Just silence the fucker. Done.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Can you really silence the dude because holy poo poo. I thought Gwyn being parrieable was a joke.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Dragonwagon posted:

Have you ever even tried to PvP for a decent length of time? Most people you find won't be running some dedicated PvP build. It's seriously a lot less hard or complicated than you think. I maxed out the dragon covenant with the first character I made. He had 4 vigor. Only things on my toolbar were my estus and the dragon eye. Hell, I'd say it's more fun to fight with an unoptimized build, the victories will feel even better.

Eh most I've done was probably getting enough to get rank 2 with bell covenant. Low level sorcery felt pretty modest there. But yeah most of what I've said applies to red phantoms the most. They're generally the worst when it comes to min/maxing.

Belfry/rats as stacked as they are, is just filled with mediocre pvpers for the cheap thrills.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Your average red isn't particularly min/maxxed either, but he's probably used to fighting one on one or at a disadvantage instead of dogpiling.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Brightstone Cove is a weirdly designed area. There's only one non-shortcut-related path that leads to the boss room and there's at least one area there's no way out of once you enter (the webs on the way to the fog gate can take you down, but not back up). As well, the spider hollows' free hit thing confuses me because there isn't even an animation for it that I can tell; they're just kinda wonky. I did like the spiders coming out of the sand though; as freaky as it was, it reminded me of Half-Life 2 a bit.

I don't think you can get back up into the buildings once you hit the sand either, so if you want to get all the goodies(or even the bonfire at the bottom) you have to come down from the church thing multiple times. Unless there was some kick-able ladder or something I missed. I think that place was neat looking, but it's the most frustrating level design in the game, to me at least.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
How does summoning/being summoned work in this game? I'm SL 52 and wanna help some dudes kill bosses now that I can use the comically huge greatsword but I'm not getting summoned anywhere except Old Man's Wharf (which I've yet to complete). Is there a level range restriction like in Dark Souls 1?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, after I've beaten a boss I still see phantom signs that I can summon. I'm not ingame now, but will those just fail or will they be brought into my world as a complete waste of time?

vittles for the chitlins
Nov 4, 2010

Haaaaaaaaaay~

Office Thug posted:

How does summoning/being summoned work in this game? I'm SL 52 and wanna help some dudes kill bosses now that I can use the comically huge greatsword but I'm not getting summoned anywhere except Old Man's Wharf (which I've yet to complete). Is there a level range restriction like in Dark Souls 1?

It's based off Soul Memory which on your player sheet is the number in the top right. Generally speaking, you can get summoned any where at almost any soul memory because people are playing like mad right now. For best results put your sign down near a bonfire or near a fog door.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just bought the last three spells I needed from Wellager and now I have all the achievements. :toot: Time to put the game down.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Some of you might find this interesting:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2517i8/durability_bug_is_linked_to_framerate/

The tl;dr is that PC players are losing roughly double durability over their console counterparts due to roughly double average frame rates.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, after I've beaten a boss I still see phantom signs that I can summon. I'm not ingame now, but will those just fail or will they be brought into my world as a complete waste of time?

Either there is a second boss or (more likely) the signs you are seeing are small signs. Since they don't need to kill a boss you can summon them even after the boss is dead and farm with them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Domattee posted:

Either there is a second boss or (more likely) the signs you are seeing are small signs. Since they don't need to kill a boss you can summon them even after the boss is dead and farm with them.

This is at iron keep, right outside old iron king after killing him. I can summon phantoms, then go through the fog door and it kicks the phantoms out. :psyduck:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

This is at iron keep, right outside old iron king after killing him. I can summon phantoms, then go through the fog door and it kicks the phantoms out. :psyduck:

Did you leave Smelter alive? If so, that's why.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Entering a dead bosses area will kick phantoms out (including invading ones). If you haven't killed Smelter yet you might be summoning large dudes, otherwise it's small signs. If you aren't sunbroing it makes more sense to put down the small sign instead of the large one since the reward is a smooth and silky.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Domattee posted:

Can you really silence the dude because holy poo poo. I thought Gwyn being parrieable was a joke.

Yeah, profound still means he only does his "dark greatsword" move.

Profound Still + 3/4 Sunlight spears + Firestorm on split = boom goes the dynamite.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Domattee posted:

Entering a dead bosses area will kick phantoms out (including invading ones). If you haven't killed Smelter yet you might be summoning large dudes, otherwise it's small signs. If you aren't sunbroing it makes more sense to put down the small sign instead of the large one since the reward is a smooth and silky.

Bluebros like me also prefer the large stone most of the time because every Token of Fidelity = a duel, which means an opportunity to win covenant points and blue orbs.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The Fog spells are killing any fun that was had in pvp, to the point where I have to check if the enemy is holding a staff/chime before I summon. I can deal with pretty much anything including resonant santier's/avelyn/any spell, but fog is just boring as gently caress.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 8, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SurrealityCheck posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2517i8/durability_bug_is_linked_to_framerate/

The tl;dr is that PC players are losing roughly double durability over their console counterparts due to roughly double average frame rates.

Holy poo poo, this explains absolutely everything. I used a halberd for an entire playthrough without ever going to at risk on console, then on PC had my halberd break like a dozen times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SurrealityCheck posted:

That's interesting. It does feel like weapons degrade a little faster on PC than console. Hopefully they'll patch it soon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If anything they should patch it backwards and make the current loss the standard. If we have double durability loss right now then I can't see a weapon ever really breaking under normal durability loss without acid being involved.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah, having only experienced this version of durability loss I'm kind of surprised that half the buzz I heard about the console version leading up to the PC release was about how quickly items degrade. I only keep two weapons equipped and I've never had a single one break.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

If anything they should patch it backwards and make the current loss the standard. If we have double durability loss right now then I can't see a weapon ever really breaking under normal durability loss without acid being involved.

Fragile weapons frequently got low on durability on console. Durable or slow weapons typically did not unless you spent a really long time between bonfire sits or you went crazy on a wall or something.

The PC durability feels incredibly punitive towards fast-swinging weapons or weapons that frequently hit multiple targets.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Alternatively let's not do that because you can go into certain boss fights in ng+ and beyond with full durability and have your weapons break before you win.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Keep in mind that double loss only applies to corpses not the more common wall smacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chomp8645 posted:

Whats key is that its not double. Its inconsistent. For some things its the same, for some things its in between, and for some things its double.

Trust me, on console the rate was fine. You did have to use multiple weapons and weapons could break.

But on PC occasionally it goes "Warning, your weapon is about to--BROKEN!" and you don't even get a chance to respond. I've taken to prematurely changing weapons when it even approaches like 20%, but on Console if it says "warning, weapon is about to break!" you have a bit of a chance to change weapons. On PC it often breaks while its telling you that.

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, having only experienced this version of durability loss I'm kind of surprised that half the buzz I heard about the console version leading up to the PC release was about how quickly items degrade. I only keep two weapons equipped and I've never had a single one break.

Two weapons is all you needed on consoles, and that's how it should be. That keeps you from relying entirely on one weapon, makes you try out new things and get out of your comfort bubble and realize new weapons can be even more fun than X weapon that you really like. And it creates some strategic questions, do you use your better weapon on the level, or save it for the boss?

The problem is on PC its inconsistent, not that console was too fast/slow.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanos posted:

Fragile weapons frequently got low on durability on console. Durable or slow weapons typically did not unless you spent a really long time between bonfire sits or you went crazy on a wall or something.
Make that "some weapons are straight-up unusable because they'll break after two enemies." That's definitely not intended behaviour and need to be fixed like the bug it is.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've noticed my greatclub breaks after like 20 swings tops, even though it has the standard 70 durability listed. Maybe this bug affects some weapons more than others? I've also noticed that hitting the spiders in Lower Brightstone Cove is hell on durability, although I thought that was an intended feature of the enemy (since they drop mail breakers). Maybe that's all part of this bug too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Whats key is that its not double. Its inconsistent. For some things its the same, for some things its in between, and for some things its double.

The problem is on PC its inconsistent, not that console was too fast/slow.

That's not what the Reddit post says. According to it, the extra rate of degradation is consistent, with the framerate. So if you got rock solid 60 fps all the time, then when hitting corpses your weapons will take twice the durability damage.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mzbundifund posted:

I've noticed my greatclub breaks after like 20 swings tops, even though it has the standard 70 durability listed. Maybe this bug affects some weapons more than others? I've also noticed that hitting the spiders in Lower Brightstone Cove is hell on durability, although I thought that was an intended feature of the enemy (since they drop mail breakers). Maybe that's all part of this bug too.
Weapons like Greatclubs get the worst of this bug because their animation unavoidably makes them hit the ground every time you swing them in addition to whatever damage they're incurring naturally.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

It feels like weapons take durability for every frame they're making contact with an enemy's body, which means that a weapon that takes a while to be removed from said enemy's body after hitting them like a big slow greatclub or greataxe down-swing means you chainsaw your durability super fast.

I wondered why it only took me like five minutes to break Santier's on PC compared to 20 on console.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Weapons like Greatclubs get the worst of this bug because their animation unavoidably makes them hit the ground every time you swing them in addition to whatever damage they're incurring naturally.

Not unless there's a corpse in the ground.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Mzbundifund posted:

My greatclub broke and the only time I ever used it was to kill Licia. It broke before I even killed her on NG. Meanwhile my Defender Greatsword has never even dropped lower than half durability even while pvp'ing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

That's not what the Reddit post says. According to it, the extra rate of degradation is consistent, with the framerate. So if you got rock solid 60 fps all the time, then when hitting corpses your weapons will take twice the durability damage.

What I meant is that it applies to corpses, but not to walls, etc. And did they do tests on things like pots or chests? Probably similar to corpses, but then again they could count as walls or who knows what.