Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
This is old but it's funny to see how much moviebob has changed over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iNs5iG2h34

Princess Peach is his waifu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Forums Barber posted:

eh there were a couple other threads about it that got gassed or moved to the mod forum.

The gamers.txt thread had been a triggered, literally shaking, cesspit of the game crusader contingent of SRS since they landed here.

It began as the usual collection of unhinged nerd screeds, but by the time it was closed, it was a solid wall of "OMG the misogyny!", and god forbid some poor soul expressed dissent. It was the biggest hugbox outside of old GBS, and just a real pile of poo poo.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's cool how insanely retarded and gay this entire thing is

woman makes a video about female representation in video games, which nobody would really give a poo poo about except for the fact that a bunch of guys in their 30s (some of whom proably do genuinely hate women) said a lot of hosed up poo poo to her and she became a martyr for insufferable aspiring games journalists/game tweeters. then a mediocre indie game dev turned out to be a big piece of poo poo, which the jackasses in their 30s take as validation of their previous actions, only this time the games journalists are directly involved and so the battle lines are drawn between retarded 4channers who wish they could forever live in 2005 and the new media games industry who are desperate as gently caress to get laid by insane girls on twitter

Lochness_Hamster
Sep 27, 2007

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Clitch posted:

The gamers.txt thread had been a triggered, literally shaking, cesspit of the game crusader contingent of SRS since they landed here.

It began as the usual collection of unhinged nerd screeds, but by the time it was closed, it was a solid wall of "OMG the misogyny!", and god forbid some poor soul expressed dissent. It was the biggest hugbox outside of old GBS, and just a real pile of poo poo.

what a hugbox! *image of adam bowen and a dozen other shitposters filling up every single page of gamers.txt*

VVVpleasestoppostingVVVVhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF338vH5GBUVVVVpleasestoppostingVVV

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 2, 2014

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

yes of course. gamers are mad because she is stating the obvious, not because she is trying to "destroy their games" by stating the obvious
Who are these mad gamers? Here are the criticisms against anitas work I commonly see:

1. Her material is basically copy/pasted from tvtropes
2. She "steals" (uses without crediting) footage/pictures/ideas from other people to make her videos.
3. "But what about men?": Talks about laura craft fighting off an attempted rape, ignores the male protagonist in FEAR actually getting raped, woman are sexualized but so are dudes, etc.
4. Who loving cares

I pretty much never read:
"Women aren't sexualized in video games!"
"There shouldn't be female leads!"
"We need more damsels to rescue!"

About the closest you come to people attempting to deny her points about the poor treatment of women in video games are the people who talk about #3 all the time, but her videos are never going to change their minds anyways because she doesn't actually try to address the issue that way. And yet every time anyone has anything to say about anita people go straight to "those gamers don't even understand her simple points". No they get that captured princess is an overdone trope, they just don't really care/think it matters much.

e: to be clear I'm sure if you dig on fringe reddit sections you can find posts or videos of people trying to actively deny that chainmail bikinis sexualize and objectify women, but that doesn't seem like the majority or even a visible vocal minority. The idea that gamers are mad at anita because they don't like her criticizing their toys seems almost entirely fabricated when you actually read the complaints people have about her.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 2, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Clitch posted:

The gamers.txt is like that most of the time, but surprisingly for the Zoe shitstorm it was very similar to this thread, apart from a few retards regulars spamming Jojo pictures.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

It's astounding how the "anti-gamer" side, for lack of a better term, keeps coming really close to making some progress and the loving it up completely. The open letter is a perfect example. If only they had included something like a pledge from the people signing to stop harassing, it would actually be good. That one glaring omission changes the tone of the thing from "we should all try to be better" to "YOU should try to be as good as US".

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

who wish they could forever live in 2005

I've seen this a few times now. Is this the new "1995 called, they want their bigotry back"

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

IDGI. I just see a fat white neckbeard wearing an Adventure Time t-shirt, a fedora and sandals with socks. :shrug:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

big duck equals goose posted:

Explain your self FYAD!!!

I know your joking but FYAD makes fun of these people and most current FYAD posters aren't active on Twitter. gently caress, they where ones who outed Abe for sending doxxing the 10 year old kid.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

lol

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It's always fun to eventually destroy what you create.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I've seen this a few times now. Is this the new "1995 called, they want their bigotry back"

nah they just don't want to accept that such a fundamental part of their lives (i.e. the internet) has changed dramatically over the past decade or so

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's no coincidence that Othello is both a play about a brother being cuckolded, and a game played by two players: Black and White, binary figures. The two players place 64 discs, each of which is black on one side and white on the other. For convenience, each player begins with 32 discs but these do not belong to him and if his opponent runs out of discs, he is obliged to give him some. A disc is black if the black side is visible and white if the white face is on top.

The 64 discs are all the other forums!

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Nion posted:

That one glaring omission changes the tone of the thing from "we should all try to be better" to "YOU should try to be as good as US".

The condescension is in line with the fake revolution though.

It gives them the easiest possible way to say they're doing something, while at the same time being so vicious they know they'll get no follow-up emails about "Hey I see your point, how do we plan this, or, hey can you spare some time to go over these ideas." They won't have to do any extra work because nobody is going to respond to condescension.

It's like what the "Nathan For You" guy would do to be socially responsible, they just don't realize.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

Who are these mad gamers? Here are the criticisms against anitas work I commonly see:

2. She "steals" (uses without crediting) footage/pictures/ideas from other people to make her videos.
3. "But what about men?": Talks about laura craft fighting off an attempted rape, ignores the male protagonist in FEAR actually getting raped, woman are sexualized but so are dudes, etc.
4. Who loving cares

None of those are a rebuttal to Anita Sarkeesian's arguments though, and it's not as all the mad gamers are up in arms because they think she's a hack who otherwise has perfectly valid points.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

IDGI. I just see a fat white neckbeard wearing an Adventure Time t-shirt, a fedora and sandals with socks. :shrug:

You forgot Jorts.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Clitch posted:

LOL that you think the gamers.txt thread was a hugbox or that it could even silence dissent

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Trapezium Dave posted:

None of those are a rebuttal to Anita Sarkeesian's arguments though, and it's not as all the mad gamers are up in arms because they think she's a hack who otherwise has perfectly valid points.
That's my point; no one disagrees with her. Check out any gaming webcomic since 2000 and tell me you won't see plenty of jokes about the mistreatment of women. Gamers have been riffing on skimpy armor and other tropes for as long as they've existed in games. Pretty much no one is mad she's pointing these things out, it's an entirely made up group of people who apparently grind their teeth when someone says "you know everyone having z cup boobs is kind of overly sexualized".

If you criticize anita someone will invariably respond with "well she must be doing something good if it makes gamers mad everywhere to hear about feminism 101, a class on tvtropes" but I have yet to see this crowd of allegedly foaming in the mouth woman hating nerdlords. People criticize her for almost everything other than the actual points she makes. I mean who do you think made all those tvtropes articles she regurgitates? Mostly the same people she's accusing of not getting it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

If you criticize anita someone will invariably respond with "well she must be doing something good if it makes gamers mad everywhere to hear about feminism 101, a class on tvtropes" but I have yet to see this crowd of allegedly foaming in the mouth woman hating nerdlords.

have you read like any of the comments on anything even tangentially related to her? obviously not every response is vitriol but if you really don't think that there exists a group of people who genuinely hate the fact that she's pointing these things out I dunno what to tell you

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Cardboard Box A posted:

LOL that you think the gamers.txt thread was a hugbox or that it could even silence dissent

That thread handed out probations like your mom hands out syphilis.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

4. Who loving cares

About the closest you come to people attempting to deny her points about the poor treatment of women in video games are the people who talk about #3 all the time, but her videos are never going to change their minds anyways because she doesn't actually try to address the issue that way. And yet every time anyone has anything to say about anita people go straight to "those gamers don't even understand her simple points". No they get that captured princess is an overdone trope, they just don't really care/think it matters much.

e: to be clear I'm sure if you dig on fringe reddit sections you can find posts or videos of people trying to actively deny that chainmail bikinis sexualize and objectify women, but that doesn't seem like the majority or even a visible vocal minority. The idea that gamers are mad at anita because they don't like her criticizing their toys seems almost entirely fabricated when you actually read the complaints people have about her.

yeah no people aren't making hour-long "rebuttal" videos or essay-length comments to unrelated articles on Kotaku (or wherever) because her critisms are obvious, or because she took video from LPs instead of recording her own. they do it because they fundamentally reject that there is any issue with games, and that she is making poo poo up by cherry picking examples out of context. I only see people actually mad at her videos because of (4) in the context of "who cares? get this feminist garbage away from my games, it has nothing to do with my games!" On top of that, you'll find the accusations that she isn't actually a gamer, and she's just trying to ruin games! (2) and (3) do get tacked on as non-sequitur addendums ("she's an idiot, she's wrong! oh and uh also i guess she also didn't get a capture setup to record her own footage, so she's wrong AND a bad person right?")

just search for "anita sarkessian" on youtube and take a look at the response videos in the first page of results lol

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
anita is crap that i poop out

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Slanderer posted:

("she's an idiot, she's wrong! oh and uh also i guess she also didn't get a capture setup to record her own footage, so she's wrong AND a bad person right?")

When somebody who asks for thousands of dollars to produce videos, and receives thousands of dollars to produce videos, uses somebody else's videos, it's safe to say that isn't okay.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is old but it's funny to see how much moviebob has changed over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iNs5iG2h34

Princess Peach is his waifu.

Lol. All this gaming has made him insane and eventually led him into internet feminism. A fate worse than death.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I mean here is a penny arcade comic from 2004: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/03

Literally over a decade ago this poo poo was being made fun in media almost every "gamer" of the time was reading/liked.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
actually lets take a look at the quality rebutals the internet has provided:

how about the dark enlightenment motherfucker who is making his own anti-anita documentary (lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f9nAULR4Iw

or how about this other microdicked weirdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25o0EZiogw0

or how about anita sarkeesian DESTROYED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Ju-1I1DTU

so, yeah, dumb manbabies cant handle intro-level feminist critique lol

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Sarkeesian is the latest in a long line of genrally useless and loud people making a big deal about the fact that certain types of entertainment don't conform to their world view. See: Tipper Gore, Parents scared of devil worship in D&D and Heavy Metal, etc. Their entire argument revolves around the assumption that only they are intelligent enough to separate fantasy from reality and all the rest of us idiots need that choice stripped from us.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

When somebody who asks for thousands of dollars to produce videos, and receives thousands of dollars to produce videos, uses somebody else's videos, it's safe to say that isn't okay.

well, no, actually it's fair use in this case. the stuff about her stealing some artwork is probably bad tho

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

natetimm posted:

Sarkeesian is the latest in a long line of genrally useless and loud people making a big deal about the fact that certain types of entertainment don't conform to their world view. See: Tipper Gore, Parents scared of devil worship in D&D and Heavy Metal, etc. Their entire argument revolves around the assumption that only they are intelligent enough to separate fantasy from reality and all the rest of us idiots need that choice stripped from us.

haha you retard

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Slanderer posted:

haha you retard

I don't see how he's wrong. Or would you care to present an argument that doesn't involve personal attacks and insults, for a change?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
why is it that the crusade against corruption in the gaming press is focused on zoe, rather than, say, the journalist that supposedly gave her press in exchange for sex?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's with atheists being retarded man babies who make those hour-long snarky responses to lovely videos? Or are those atheists+? I mean, if God doesn't exist, why atheists even bother with wearing fedoras? If there's no absolute beauty then there is no such thing as class, so there's also no need for any type of headwear.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that atheists are worse than gamers.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I don't see how he's wrong. Or would you care to present an argument that doesn't involve personal attacks and insults, for a change?

because he is equating a milquetoast feminist criticism with an attack on media as wrongthink and comparing it to a moral panic and a call to take away his precious toys.

it's almost as if he hears "this game is sorta biased towards the dudes" and thinks "THEY ARE SAYING THIS GAME IS BAD AND PEOPLE ARE BAD FOR LIKING IT"

you retard

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

why is it that the crusade against corruption in the gaming press is focused on zoe, rather than, say, the journalist that supposedly gave her press in exchange for sex?

this thread is nearly the only place I've found that's still talking about Zoe. Which is fine, because she's plenty mockable and one of our own.

Even 4chan's /v/ is mostly spending their time doing things like emailing ad sponsors about those "gamers are dead" articles, which was a pretty dumb misstep on the journalists' side, the whole "mocking the people who spend actual money on the product" thing.

She did kind of come up again a little bit because one of the Five Guys was Maya Kramer, the PR person from Silverstring who seems to actually be coordinating a whole bunch of this poo poo.

It's pretty funny because it'd probably have blown over pretty quick if they hadn't tried to pull a big cover-up.

Forums Barber fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 3, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Concerned Citizen posted:

Because it started with Zoe and all the lovely stuff she did which they helped cover up. So far we haven't found out about the other lovely stuff they've done aside from that which is related to Zoe.

Having said that... it's clear Zoe is the tip of the ice berg.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

have you read like any of the comments on anything even tangentially related to her? obviously not every response is vitriol but if you really don't think that there exists a group of people who genuinely hate the fact that she's pointing these things out I dunno what to tell you

There's a lot of people on the internet and a lot of them play games, even a small minority being vulgar shitlords can seem like a huge number of people when viewed through the distorting lens of website comment sections and twitter. Most people if they disagree with something like a YouTube video will just roll their eyes and close it without leaving any comment.

Best just to treat the commenting internet as a portal to view and laugh at dumb poo poo while otherwise getting on with your life.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Slanderer posted:

because he is equating a milquetoast feminist criticism with an attack on media as wrongthink and comparing it to a moral panic and a call to take away his precious toys.

it's almost as if he hears "this game is sorta biased towards the dudes" and thinks "THEY ARE SAYING THIS GAME IS BAD AND PEOPLE ARE BAD FOR LIKING IT"

you retard

So, you can't? That's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's really cool that people take sarkeesian's mediocre summary of female roles in video games as both an eye-opening brutal critique of the industry and as a vicious moral call to destroy all men and video games ever

• Locked thread