Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

The Nexus line was the undisputed bang-for-the-buck king, with Motorola and other manufacturers going aggressively for the midrange there's now more valid choices. That said, the fear that Nexus devices pose a threat to anyone else's sales has yet to materialize.

Nexus devices still have their niche, as reference devices for android developers that receive new versions before they're out to the masses.

This.

There will always be a need for there to be a bleeding edge reference device in terms of modern chipsets, newly supported hardware configurations, and current software.

On the other hand, Google could just "bless" a standard OEM device and say "This is our reference device for 2014" like they did with the old GPe devices. They'd only have to work with the OEMs during the development of their devices to ensure they included the hardware Google wanted to reference in the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Has Samsung ever offered a new flagship unlocked, contract-free? Or is that something I'd have to wait for the gray market for?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Has Samsung ever offered a new flagship unlocked, contract-free? Or is that something I'd have to wait for the gray market for?

Yes, just go to Amazon and search for what you want. Pretty much every phone is sold in an unlocked version, it's just that most people would prefer it to be subsidized because they don't believe that top-tier phones are $500-750 new. You might have issues with Verizon or Sprint activating unlocked phones are their network, however, if that's your plan (I genuinely don't know now that CDMA/GSM SDRs are commonplace).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

BottleKnight posted:

The Verge had a similar article about how the Nexus lines were, when they started, a crusade against bad clunky software and overlays, but now are just ads for the company itself.

Ugh, so incredibly wrong headed.

The android market is just as fractured and hosed up as ever, even though the OS has made great leaps.

I wouldn't bet money on any current non-nexus phone getting updated to Android 7.0 next year, and all the OEMs still poo poo-up the present OS in various ways that make them unuseable for me.

e.g. Samsung essentially remove multi-tasking with their ram manager.

HTC jumped ahead to add a fingerprint scanner, but, being incompetent fucks, just stored your fingerprints in a text file on the SD.

Even Motorola are questionable since the sale was announced: they dropped support for a phone releases in 2015, they yet again announced a new phone and delayed UK release for 3 months.

How did the Nexus 5 any more "reason for being" than the new Nexuses? It was just a smaller, lower species version of the LG G3, with a pure OS.

That it's still a relevant, useable phone 2 years later is phenomenal. There is still no good upgrade till the 5X/6P next month.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

wooger posted:

How did the Nexus 5 any more "reason for being" than the new Nexuses? It was just a smaller, lower species version of the LG G3, with a pure OS.

That it's still a relevant, useable phone 2 years later is phenomenal. There is still no good upgrade till the 5X/6P next month.

I still have no problems with my Nexus 4. I am ready for an upgrade, but it still going very strong. I don't need to upgrade, but I don't want to wait a whole year for Marshmallow so I know this is my year to upgrade. I won't buy anything but Nexus because I appreciate how easy it is to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery/root. It always has a large community of people developing towards it. And add to that, I'm jumping on Project Fi.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

LastInLine posted:

Yes, just go to Amazon and search for what you want. Pretty much every phone is sold in an unlocked version, it's just that most people would prefer it to be subsidized because they don't believe that top-tier phones are $500-750 new. You might have issues with Verizon or Sprint activating unlocked phones are their network, however, if that's your plan (I genuinely don't know now that CDMA/GSM SDRs are commonplace).

Factory unlocked Samsung phones have no warranty in the US.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I didn't see it mentioned, but I'm sure it probably was and I missed it.... But the new Nexus phones do not have wireless charging because of the fingerprint scanner (Nexus Imprint?). I'm assuming it takes up the space, and maybe it would interfere with it?

I want the 6P, but I'm not down with a Huawei phone. I know it's probably a bid to break hard into the Chinese market or something. I'd rather stick to Motorola, although I'd enjoy the fingerprint scanner. Is it going to be an open API for it? Will developers get to start playing with it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Motorola is also Chinese now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

6P was never going to have wireless charging, it can't penetrate a metal case and the glass window at the top is too small. We can only speculate why the 5X lost it, probably a mix of cost, thickness, fingerprint reader in the way and reversible-connector turbo-charging making it less important.

And yeah, Marshmallow has a standard API for fingerprint authentication.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google said why they eliminated it.

It impacted the thickness of the phones and they view it as no longer needed now that USB-C is here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just read that the Moto X Pure doesn't have an AMOLED screen. Doesn't that make Moto Display suck up battery life? Way to gently caress that one up, Lenovo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

I just read that the Moto X Pure doesn't have an AMOLED screen. Doesn't that make Moto Display suck up battery life? Way to gently caress that one up, Lenovo.

No discernable difference as far as I can tell.

I think the "lighting up a few pixels for AMOLED" battery savings was overblown. The LED backlight on low intensity is scarcely going to use more power (if at all) than a standard notification LED on a phone.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Except most people with it will tell you it doesn't.

While the original concept of Moto Display took advantage of AMOLED screens, that wasn't all they did to ensure minimal battery impact.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Binge posted:

I didn't see it mentioned, but I'm sure it probably was and I missed it.... But the new Nexus phones do not have wireless charging because of the fingerprint scanner (Nexus Imprint?). I'm assuming it takes up the space, and maybe it would interfere with it?

I want the 6P, but I'm not down with a Huawei phone. I know it's probably a bid to break hard into the Chinese market or something. I'd rather stick to Motorola, although I'd enjoy the fingerprint scanner. Is it going to be an open API for it? Will developers get to start playing with it?
The metal case on the 6P is probably why it doesn't have qi.
The 5X not having qi, despite the plastic casing, is just hosed up. Add the extra .5-1mm of thickness. Gets you qi, a totally flat back, and a little bigger battery.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Google said why they eliminated it.

It impacted the thickness of the phones and they view it as no longer needed now that USB-C is here.

I understand the line they are going with, but have a hard time buying it. The Nexus 5 is very thin, but it does have a smaller battery, no fingerprint reader and entirely different internals...but I can't help but think they could have managed to put Qi in the 5x. And "no need because USB-C" is pretty funny. Qi didn't become a thing because it was nearly impossible to plug in a Micro-USB the right direction. I know that's what they are going with, but I disagree.

Oh well, time to get over it. It's gone and not coming back since USB-C is Qi's replacement.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
What happens when you place the N5X face up on a table? Does it wobble or move around when you try to use it? The N6P hump might be nice since it will lean the phone a little bit toward you. I'm not sure if any of the hands on reviews have mentioned this yet.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I know that the new Nexus line will be using USB-C and wondering if my current cigarette car charger and external battery charger will work with it? Will it just charge the phone slower?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They should work fine at normal speeds, but existing QC2.0 turbo chargers won't turbo charge the new Nexuses since they're using the new USB-PD spec instead.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

repiv posted:

They should work fine at normal speeds, but existing QC2.0 turbo chargers won't turbo charge the new Nexuses since they're using the new USB-PD spec instead.

I keep hearing this and believe it, but it runs the 810. Why does a different plug shape mean it suddenly won't work with QC 2.0?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 4, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hotsauce posted:

I keep hearing this and believe it, but it runs the 810. Why does a different plug shape mean it suddenly won't with QC 2.0?

QC2.0 isn't automatically available because it has an 810, the device needs to pair it with a Qualcomm power management controller, and be certified by Qualcomm, and have a licence fee paid to Qualcomm.

The OnePlus Two uses an SD810 and they also opted to skip QC2.0 to save a few dollars (but forgot to add an alternative quick charge method because :oneplus:).

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 4, 2015

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

WarpZealot posted:

What happens when you place the N5X face up on a table? Does it wobble or move around when you try to use it? The N6P hump might be nice since it will lean the phone a little bit toward you. I'm not sure if any of the hands on reviews have mentioned this yet.

It only wobbles if you press down on the top left or top right corners of the screen with way more force than necessary.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It should be noted that of course the Nexus 6 also wobbles face up on a table.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

It should be noted that of course the Nexus 6 also wobbles face up on a table.

That's because the N6 has those weird speaker grills that pop up out of the device. No idea why they did that, but I guess you don't want a phone to sit flat on it's screen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

That's because the N6 has those weird speaker grills that pop up out of the device. No idea why they did that, but I guess you don't want a phone to sit flat on it's screen.

I said face UP, it's got that curved back.

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So will google drop the price of the N6 anytime soon? I need to replace my N5, but want Qi charging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The N6 has been on a fire sale on ebay for awhile now.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Yep, I'm waiting for one to arrive as we speak.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now that the camera benchmarks are out, I'm borderline about to buy a 6P, I've kept holding out for the Blackberry Priv and am a bit :tinfoil: about a fingerprint scanner but I've never had a Nexus so it's all the more tempting.

Have any reviews of the cases come out?

This is the first phone I'll be buying outright/not on contract so I can't leave it without a solid case. There's a decent looking nexus brand soft/hard case and a "military spec" spigen that look promising. The only concern is it's a big phone and the last "serious" case I had was an Otterbox and it tripled the thickness of the phone. I also think the thicker the case the more awkward it would be to use the fingerprint scanner right?

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 5, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/30/psa-many-third-party-nexus-6p-cases-appear-to-block-the-laser-autofocus/

Make sure you don't get one of these :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Don Lapre posted:

Factory unlocked Samsung phones have no warranty in the US.

Wait, it's legal in America to sell phones and give no warranty? How does that work?

e: asking from Australia where we have relatively robust consumer protection laws that don't allow that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WS6 97 posted:

So will google drop the price of the N6 anytime soon? I need to replace my N5, but want Qi charging.

They were $300 on eBay last week and they're $350 on Amazon right now. I keep thinking about it but not pulling the trigger.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

iajanus posted:

Wait, it's legal in America to sell phones and give no warranty? How does that work?

e: asking from Australia where we have relatively robust consumer protection laws that don't allow that.

This America, man.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

iajanus posted:

Typically they are international versions sold by online importers. The warranty is only applicable in the country for which the device was intended. Thus it would be cost prohibitive to send your phone to the originating warranty repair center.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

iajanus posted:

You have the freedom to buy things without a warranty, what's confusing about that?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Motorola is dumping a bunch of Quick Chargers on Groupon right now. You can get a re-certified for $10

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

iajanus posted:

Samsung doesn't sell any unlocked phones in the US. The international phones here are brought in by third parties.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Motorola is dumping a bunch of Quick Chargers on Groupon right now. You can get a re-certified for $10

This one? https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-motorola-15w-turbo-charger-with-qualcomm-quick-charge-20-technology

It can be used with the new Nexus 6P? Not sure if that's a good price.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

This one? https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-motorola-15w-turbo-charger-with-qualcomm-quick-charge-20-technology

It can be used with the new Nexus 6P? Not sure if that's a good price.

I'm fairly sure that quick charge 2.0 chargers will only charge at the USB default rate with the new devices.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

You have the freedom to buy things without a warranty, what's confusing about that?

It allows for exploitative business practices and creates an environment that is anti-consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
My Galaxy S3 keeps freezing on startup, getting stuck on the first image that pops up (the battery loading thing or the phone name). I read about the recovery mode and cleared the cache, which did nothing. There was a message like Error: invalid argument. Is there a relatively easy fix?