Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rhyno posted:

This week's Action has Clark realizing the timeline has been hosed with. So...

Wally literally told him this months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I didn't like Morrison's joker until his B&R return, yeah.

The way he psyches out Damian and kills Dr. Hurt with a banana peel were great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Top Gun posted:

I wasn’t a fan of either Morrison’s or Snyder’s Joker. I feel like Paul Dini is the only writer that really nails the character. There was a Christmas issue early in his Detectice Comics run that was great. Geoff also does a decent job with him so I’m looking forward to his inevitable appearance.

I liked Snyder's use of the character in Black Mirror. After that though...

Arkham Knight is still my favourite version of the character in years, although it can only work in very specific circustances.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Does the Joker still have a detachable face

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lightning Lord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

He got magic healing juice a few years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Wally literally told him this months ago.

That was before Superman Reborn.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
New theory

The newspaper clippings mention a Rodger Jack who stole Rorschach's Journal and killed the kid who found it at the end of the original. I think that's possibly the new Rorschach. Either that or Malcolm Long. Even the name is a hint with the Rodger Jack idea.

Rodger Jack, Rorschach. Say it out loud.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's actually a guy named Rodge Hark.

No. Wait. It's an anagram. If we ever meet a Harsh Croc, it's really you know who!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 24, 2017

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rhyno posted:

That was before Superman Reborn.

Doesn't make it any less stupid that Superman's response to Wally, noted friend and time travel based hero for 20 years, was, "Eh that's probably not right, hope you can fix your ruined life, wanna race?"

I don't think Superman Reborn erased his memories of the things he did in the universe, either. It just merged them into a single narrative.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
2 trades in for Batman amd Robin. Now this is the Morrison i like. Good superhero comics, creative villians, refernces that dont require years of psychadelic drugs and obscure music. I could have read this book for years.

Does Morrison ever do anything with the Riddler? Now that would be am interesting take if it wasnt joker lite riddler.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No. He doesn't touch on the clsssic villains besides a brief Catwoman team up.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Also "Ozymandias gathers new-Rorschach and two kooky criminals in the Batcave Owlcave to undertake a mysterious mission" is like standard DC event writing. The characters are only tenuously linked but let's form a Team and go on a Mission. It's the exact kind of hokey superhero writing Watchmen was deconstructing.

One of the most bizarre things about the Watchmen movie is that the initial "Crimebusters" meet up (the one that the Comedian ruins and Manhattan and Laurie meet) is that they have Adrian organize the whole thing. They have him say something really corny, like "Together, we can save the world!" or some garbage, and then the Comedian humiliates him. It alters the entire conflict of the story, since instead of Adrian Veidt trying to play God it's Veidt trying desperately to show up the Comedian for embarrassing him that one time. There's no way the smartest man in the world could possibly think that a team up of costumed vigilantes is going to solve the political problems of the world. Plus, it tries to sells the idea of the Golden Age of superheroes as an actual thing discarded due to cynicism, but the book makes it clear that that time was an imaginary story used to sell wars.

I don't know why I bring that up.

quote:

Also, if new Rorschach doesn't write things down, why is his internal monologue still written on journal pages? Who's collating the clumsy exposition at the end of the issue? Or are these things only there because of a cargo cult-y desire to recreate the symbolic language of the original Watchmen without caring about its substance?

In the previews I saw the new Rorshach is still using his trademark clipped dialogue, despite being a completely different person. He's gotta maintain the brand! Keeping a political anger diary is part of what makes Rorshach, Rorshach.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Geoff Johns is a cargo cult writer. He is imitating a good story he read once and hoping he's put it together in just the right pattern to make it happen again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Reaf Secret Identity at work. It was good, but more importantly: I can use my kindle at this position at work

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Android Blues posted:

The idea that Dr. Manhattan going to a new galaxy, a clean slate, at the end of Watchmen resolves in him going and becoming a villain in the main DC universe is such a catastrophic misreading of the resonance of that moment. So is the idea that Dr. Manhattan would want to make things "darker". "Dr. Manhattan killed Superman's parents" is the ultimate apotheosis of this extremely bad take.

:same:

The only way the Manhattan stuff veers away from being softheaded is if his attempt to create new life went sour as commentary. I always thought Manhattan leaving to do that was basically Moore imploring later creators to do their own thing. But you know, if most contemporary creators read any message into Watchmen it was "be darque and kill poo poo in the Big 2 universes" and if Manhattan being the villain is Johns trying to deal with that, well, I'll respect the whole endeavor a little more than nothing, at least. I don't trust him to be doing anything more than the most on the nose take though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pospysyl posted:

One of the most bizarre things about the Watchmen movie is that the initial "Crimebusters" meet up (the one that the Comedian ruins and Manhattan and Laurie meet) is that they have Adrian organize the whole thing. They have him say something really corny, like "Together, we can save the world!" or some garbage, and then the Comedian humiliates him. It alters the entire conflict of the story, since instead of Adrian Veidt trying to play God it's Veidt trying desperately to show up the Comedian for embarrassing him that one time. There's no way the smartest man in the world could possibly think that a team up of costumed vigilantes is going to solve the political problems of the world. Plus, it tries to sells the idea of the Golden Age of superheroes as an actual thing discarded due to cynicism, but the book makes it clear that that time was an imaginary story used to sell wars.
I liked some parts of the film but they really did screw up Veidt.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I enjoyed Doomsday Clock, especially the ending with Superman having a nightmare.

It reminded me of Morrison's first Superman work. It was a prose story in an annual. Some criminals put a device on his costume to see what he has nightmares about and use it against him. The criminals see a dream about Superman standing amongst a field of bones. So, the next time Superman shows up, and they try to spook him with a pile of bones. Supes laughs, "I found your device. That wasn't my nightmare, it was Krypto's dream."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm getting the vibe that Wonder Woman New 52 is really bad. I get this vibe because, as I read Wonder Woman Rebirth, I realize that the first two loving volumes are dedicated to undoing the events of the New 52 and rewriting the origin of the character to modernize it and let audience know what is now Canon. They have spent what is bordering on 14 issues cleaning up the New 52. Possibly more as I'm not done with the second volume yet. That says a lot about how people must viewed it.

I still like her original New 52 costume, though. I think the punk rocker outfit looked nice.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

I'm getting the vibe that Wonder Woman New 52 is really bad. I get this vibe because, as I read Wonder Woman Rebirth, I realize that the first two loving volumes are dedicated to undoing the events of the New 52 and rewriting the origin of the character to modernize it and let audience know what is now Canon. They have spent what is bordering on 14 issues cleaning up the New 52. Possibly more as I'm not done with the second volume yet. That says a lot about how people must viewed it.

I still like her original New 52 costume, though. I think the punk rocker outfit looked nice.

Nah if you think of it as an out of continuity storyline Nu52 Wonder Woman is excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Nah if you think of it as an out of continuity storyline Nu52 Wonder Woman is excellent.

Only through the Azzarello run. Everything after is garbage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Only through the Azzarello run. Everything after is garbage.

No don't be silly, surely yet another Donna Troy origin couldn't be bad!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looking back on it, I think Rucka's Rebirth run was a bit of a waste. After returning everything to the way he wanted it, the story with the black-ops squad, cyber lady, no-faced girl and all that wasn't that interesting.
Though it did make me care about Cheetah for the first time ever.
I guess he felt more comfortable with Trevor, Candy and minotaur guy, but I was so much more enamored with Azz's vibrant cast of gods.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 25, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Covok posted:

No the Azarello run is generally well regarded. Greg Rucka, like many creators though, is very much "MY X--" Like how John Bryne would throw a hissy fit whenever anyone didn't abide by how HE saw superman or Wonder Woman. Or how Geoff Johns the fan was told "No, Connor isn't' a clone of Lex and Superman" and one of the first things he does upon ascending from fan to writer is... explicitly make that canon.

Greg has in his head a certain way Wonder Woman 'is' and it's not what Azz wrote. Personally, and this is just me, I prefer Azz's WW to Rucka's. Not calling Rucka's bad, or saying that if you didn't like Azz you're wrong, that's just my personal opinions, I don't expect others to hold them.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Onmi posted:

No the Azarello run is generally well regarded. Greg Rucka, like many creators though, is very much "MY X--" Like how John Bryne would throw a hissy fit whenever anyone didn't abide by how HE saw superman or Wonder Woman. Or how Geoff Johns the fan was told "No, Connor isn't' a clone of Lex and Superman" and one of the first things he does upon ascending from fan to writer is... explicitly make that canon.

Greg has in his head a certain way Wonder Woman 'is' and it's not what Azz wrote. Personally, and this is just me, I prefer Azz's WW to Rucka's. Not calling Rucka's bad, or saying that if you didn't like Azz you're wrong, that's just my personal opinions, I don't expect others to hold them.

This isn't the case, almost all of Wonder Woman fandom says "Azzarello and Chiang WW is great but not Wonder Woman" it's hardly a weird opinion from Mars only Rucka held and forced like Byrne's fixations. Pretty much anyone on Rebirth was probably going to do something along those lines.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 25, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well considering the blockbuster WW film takes a major plot point out of the RUcka run...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I do wonder if he ever actually read Azzarello's comic when he said something like "You'll finally see Diana smiling again" and there was way more misery and bleakness in his comic.

Rhyno posted:

Well considering the blockbuster WW film takes a major plot point out of the RUcka run...

I might've preferred the movie with Wesley Willis, a whale and a guy with a melting candle head in the cast.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 25, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e: Sorry. Meant to edit

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Azzarello is a writer who doesn't actually like Wonder Woman, who wrote a Wonder Woman run for people who also don't like Wonder Woman.

On top of which, he filled his storylines with vile, misogynistic themes and replaced Diana's traditionally female sources of power and inspiration with male sources of power and inspiration instead.

The ending of that run is also still incredibly stupid.

I still maintain that it is the single worst thing to happen to Wonder Woman in all the time that I've been reading the character. It's not the worst-written Wonder Woman story; there are plenty of worse stories about WW, including the one immediately following Azzarello's run and the one currently going on now. But Azzarello did more damage to the character than anyone I can name, damage that still follows her around to this day.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Azzarello is a writer who doesn't actually like Wonder Woman, who wrote a Wonder Woman run for people who also don't like Wonder Woman.

On top of which, he filled his storylines with vile, misogynistic themes and replaced Diana's traditionally female sources of power and inspiration with male sources of power and inspiration instead.

The ending of that run is also still incredibly stupid.

I still maintain that it is the single worst thing to happen to Wonder Woman in all the time that I've been reading the character. It's not the worst-written Wonder Woman story; there are plenty of worse stories about WW, including the one immediately following Azzarello's run and the one currently going on now. But Azzarello did more damage to the character than anyone I can name, damage that still follows her around to this day.

Hmm. I agree with what you're saying here, while I still like the run and a lot of elements from it like Hades, he did a pretty thorough hatchet job to the Amazons, for example.

Also I wonder how much credit for the positive aspects of the New 52 WW should be given to Cliff Chiang instead of Azzarello?

Is it really worse than John Byrne or when Mike Deodato was drawing WW though?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 25, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I still think it's legit enough to let in some of the unsightly real world Amazon myths in for Diana to discover and react against. It's like if you got all your info on them from the DC Universe yourself and then looked the myths up.

But then, I assumed the point of her being disillusioned would be for Diana to end up in charge of her world and make it her own true paradise, but that didn't happen. The ending was definitely the weakest part, but overall I'll take the vibrancy of the cast over most anything else and say it was a success.

edit: And there's no such thing as permanent damage. Rucka just proved that.

edit2: \/'Lackluster' is the highest crime I can think of, though maybe I don't have enough empathy for fiction :shrug:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 25, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's not just the Amazons, though that's certainly a huge part of it; either way, his revision of Diana's origins feels less like any genuine deconstruction and more like airing someone's dirty laundry and then hoping that all the lurid scandalous details are going to "make" the character "interesting." On top of not actually making any sense ("in order to keep Diana safe from the gods, we must pretend that Diana was created by...the gods!"), it embodies all the worst tendencies of the New 52 relaunches and is the sort of thing that would be laughed off as edgy drivel if it happened today. People who say that it's a cool new interesting way to interpret the character just remind me of all the fans of Snyder's mopey Superman snapping necks who claim that Superman wasn't interesting before but he sure is now!

John Byrne's WW run was ultimately lackluster but it wasn't, like, actively offensive or anything like that. He even introduced stuff that would eventually become cool, like Cassie Sandsmark. Deodato's back-breaking thong-clad cheesecake art is.............muy unfortunate.......but it's really much more indicative of the overall problematic comic book trends at the time (some of which continues to this day, to be sure) instead of something I would just pin on him specifically in regards to this one character.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 25, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If it was Wonder Woman:Earth One or something it would have been fine IMO

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I finished Gotham Central while at work, as well as read Wonder Woman: The True Amazon.

That Wonder Woman comic was garbage.

However, Gotham Central is probably in the top 5 or 10 books DC has ever published.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You know with talk about New 52 Wonder Woman, how bad were the other main series that got throw into the garbage with Rebirth. Superman I am figuring is the same case since they bought back the post Crisis Superman.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Morrison, Pak and Tomaso had decent runs with the character, and they kept Tomaso on into Rebirth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Greg Pak's Action got sucked down into crossoversville, but that first trades worth is some of my favorite comics, full stop.

Roth posted:

I finished Gotham Central while at work, as well as read Wonder Woman: The True Amazon.

That Wonder Woman comic was garbage.

What? It was gorgeous.

The original title was something like "A Very Selfish Princess," which would have maybe prepared you for her characterization, but I like how you discover at the end who the current title really belongs to.

edit: If anyone's wondering, the story is about Diana growing up on Themyscira as an entitled brat. She gains one real friend in one of her stable-hands or something. It builds up to one of those big Amazon sporting event trials where Diana cheats with magic, which inadvertently unleashes monsters that attack everyone. Many die, including her friend (who is the titular "True Amazon" rather than Diana) and her path to becoming virtuous only begins there at the end when she's exiled.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 25, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The art was nice, but I did not care for Diana's characterization at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's cute that people can actually think Azzarello doesn't like Wonder Woman. Like he'd waste his time. There's not many books out there with a better cast of characters in a solo title. Only thing he really did wrong were the Amazons. If they could take the Amazons from WW:EO and roll it into Azzarello's Greek mythology you'd have a perfect Wonder Woman book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

That's cute that people can actually think Azzarello doesn't like Wonder Woman. Like he'd waste his time.
He got paid money.