Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I have a feeling that it's gonna be like Civ V all over again where I groan as soon as I see Alex in a game with me, cause he's an unrelenting smug dickhead forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm going to rename all of my cities to Alexandria so Alex thinks he already conquered me.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

That's such a bad idea by the developers. It sounds cool when you are Alex, but imagine a battle against him, and all of his units suddenly heal because he took a city from another player halfway around the world.

That means he's waging two wars at once. A reasonable drawback, I'd say.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

markus_cz posted:

That means he's waging two wars at once. A reasonable drawback, I'd say.

A drawback that has very little to do with the player or the player's interactions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Human Crouton posted:

A drawback that has very little to do with the player or the player's interactions.

It also sounds like it's going to be vanishingly unlikely to happen, requiring a poo poo-ton of coincidences.

First an AI player needs to be able to fight a war on two fronts well enough to actually take a city.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It's a good mechanic because it's different. Much better than a boring '+10 to attribute for x turns' like games like to do.

^^ also that.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Is any leader a bigger dickhead than Teddy? Every single game I have played against the motherfucker he constantly declares joint wars against me. So much for keeping the peace on the continent you fat sack of poo poo. Seriously, earlier today he gave me the bully for you for keeping the peace comment and less than 10 turns later joint declared on me. Goddamn I hate Teddy.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Did anyone ever figure out what the deal was with the Australia DLC text all appearing in Portuguese, or how to fix it?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

What would be the reason that they got rid of bribing someone to start a war? That was the most fun.

Probably considered it a little too exploity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally picked up the game while a hard copy was on sale at a local store, and have gotten started as France. Think I got hosed in my starting location, though, island map and most of my island is frozen tundra (I'm France). All my close nearby islands are occupied by other civs.

This game is definitely taking some getting used to. Pretty, though. I love seeing every new building I construct in a city.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Gort posted:

It also sounds like it's going to be vanishingly unlikely to happen, requiring a poo poo-ton of coincidences.

First an AI player needs to be able to fight a war on two fronts well enough to actually take a city.

I could still see this happening just often enough to be insanely obnoxious when you add it to the fact that on higher difficulties it feels like the AI units get promotions every other turn and heal 50hp.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Clearly it'll be your fault for letting him live long enough for any AI to finish a wonder. Alex is going to be one of those civs you want to kill on sight.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I can't play LAN games wirelessly for more than 10 turns without a disconnect. Anyone else deal with this?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

My long time friend and ally, John Curtin of Australia, just wouldn't stop with his space ports and his space projects, and all of my sabotage attempts completely failed. So I had to nuke him. The thing is, he didn't notice? Like, it didn't put me at war with him and none of the other civs reacted either. Hell of a glitch.

I was on the losing track in that game anyway but it was one of those rare Immortal games where everyone was at about the same level except for my neighbour, Sumeria, who got sucker punched early on by me. I grabbed an unprotected settler with my warrior scout and founded a city despite it being on the far side of his territory because I knew I could defend it from him. I couldn't defend it from Japan, however, whose homeland happened to be another tile or two into the fog of war.

Fast forward a few thousand years and the highlight of the game was me finding out that I can declare a war of reconquest for zero warmonger penalty to reclaim my now size 17 metropolis (featuring the Great Lighthouse). I decided to raze one of his late game poo poo satellite cities just to see if everyone was paying attention, and yep, instant -30 warmonger penalties from the entire world. drat the fourth estate!

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Athaboros posted:

Did anyone ever figure out what the deal was with the Australia DLC text all appearing in Portuguese, or how to fix it?

I was hoping to find out the same thing. Everybody was fine in my game except for Poland. Google isn't helping at all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Did you use a mod such as YNAEMP?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The game should automatically change the interface language to match the civilization you're playing. :colbert:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Hamlet442 posted:

I was hoping to find out the same thing. Everybody was fine in my game except for Poland. Google isn't helping at all.

If you're using the Historicity++ mod, or other mods which alter civilization text (including diplomacy), it seems like the game goes full retard and picks the first language in the localization files for unaltered text, which happens to be Brazilian Portuguese. (Historicity++ was responsible for the "The Lucky Country" text in the screenshot I posted a while back, fwiw.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda wish Civ would implant the "ahead of time" penalty to research in EU4. If you research a technology before it's "intended" date you get a penalty to the cost which increases the further ahead you are. It would slow down people snowballing ahead a little while still allowing them to get an advantage by focusing on tech. Probably.

prefect posted:

The game should automatically change the interface language to match the civilization you're playing. :colbert:
If that means filling the UI with skulls, stone knives and blood I'm all for it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That's awful. Civ in no way should be similar to EU. It is not a history simulator, and it shouldn't try to be.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

They should just remove the year counter so that people stop obsessing about how weird it is to discover Computers in 1250 AD.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I think you should automatically discover techs after X turns regardless of what you do. Also you should only get units after Y amount of time, that way it would prevent people from building too many units. And of course you can only build a city after Z turns. That way it keeps things even.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Seriously though, some kind of +% modifier to discover a tech when its already been discover by civs you have contact with would probably be an improvement to this series

It would help to address tech snowballing, which is a problem this series always had. Once you are too ahead in tech (or too behind), the game is already over

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seriously though, some kind of +% modifier to discover a tech when its already been discover by civs you have contact with would probably be an improvement to this series

It would help to address tech snowballing, which is a problem this series always had. Once you are too ahead in tech (or too behind), the game is already over

I miss being able to pick a favorite other civ and give them piles of money and technology. (And then hoping they don't give the tech away to the civs I don't like. :argh:)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pretty sure that is one of Russia's unique abilities. Or something like it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Elias_Maluco posted:

That existed in Civ4, techs got cheaper the further behind you were which was defined by the number of civs that had a tech you didn't have. Wasn't perfect but it worked out fairly well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That existed in Civ4, techs got cheaper the further behind you were which was defined by the number of civs that had a tech you didn't have. Wasn't perfect but it worked out fairly well.

Makes sense; you can only run so many people over with a chariot before they figure out what the round things are for.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yeah, that sounds good enough. I never played Civ 4 much

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always thought it might be interesting if tech eras were set in stone by game turn - the entire world enters the classical era on turn 40, for example. The rewards from science, on the other hand, would not be set in stone. In the Industrial era, the couple of nations with the best science output are getting dreadnoughts and airships while the lowest-tech nations are getting mobs of conscripts with rifles at best, but they're still all recognisably Industrial-era units.

There aren't really that many time periods where one side is so advanced that their stuff might as well be aliens from space as far as the other side's concerned (EG: Spain vs Aztecs, or Imperial-power navy vs unindustrialised coastal city) and they're better represented by the barbarians, city states, or scenarios that this game already has than by "Yo, Jeff got more science than you so fight his artillery with your swordsmen" stuff. It certainly wouldn't be much fun to be annihilated by smallpox halfway through a game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The patch notes for the upcoming patch are out.

quote:

The ‘Spring 2017’ update for Civilization VI will be coming this week to PC and coming soon for Mac and Linux.

This update will include a number of balance changes, AI adjustments, multiplayer changes, and bug fixes.

The Harbor balance change, included in this patch, will bring the strength of the various districts in line with each other. In addition, there will now be added nuances to the warmonger penalties so they only hit with their full strength if you are truly wresting valuable cities from your opponents.

A complete list of changes in the ‘Spring 2017’ Update is below:

[BALANCE CHANGES]

Harbors now give a major adjacency bonus with the City Center, +1 Food to all Coast tiles when the Lighthouse is built, and +2 Gold to all Coast tiles when the Seaport is built.

Australia now gets +1 for Charming/+3 for Breathtaking on the four affected districts (had been +2/+4) to compensate for the Harbor boost above

Royal Navy Dockyard now always provides +1 Trade Route capacity, even if the city already has a Commercial Hub. This makes it more useful, even when England builds it on its home continent.

Added “Future Civic” to the end of the Civics Tree, a repeatable Civic to research and add to the player score.

Bomber units are now more effective against cities.

Swordsman are now reduced to 36 combat strength.

Damages now remain on City and Encampments when a city is traded.

Siege units with bonus movement (e.g. from Great Generals or Persian surprise war) can still shoot after moving as long as they still have 2 MP.

Adjusted Warmonger penalties for Diplomatic status:
When applying a warmonger diplomatic penalty for EITHER declaring war or capturing a city, reduce that penalty if you are enemies with the target of that warmongering as follows:
-20% warmongering if this is against a player you have denounced
-40% warmongering if this is against a player you are at war with
NOTE: This is not used in situations where you are fighting a Joint War against the target power or when Sumeria joins as ally in war (in both those cases the penalty is still zero).
EXAMPLE: Macedon is at war with Persia. If India goes to war with Persia sometime in the middle of this Macedonian/Persian War and captures a Persian city, Macedon will reduce its warmonger penalty against India by 40%.

Adjusted Warmonger penalties for City Population:
When applying a warmonger diplomatic penalty for capturing a city, reduce that penalty if the city is smaller than the average city in the game as follows:
If the city’s population after conquest is below the average population of all the cities in the game, reduce the warmonger penalty by the percentage that city’s population is below the average.
EXAMPLE: Persepolis is conquered and its population after conquest is 6. But the average size of a city in the game is 8. So this city is 2 / 8 = 25% below the size of the average city in the game. Therefore the warmonger penalty is reduced by 25%.

[AI TUNING]

Improved coordination for multiple attacking units.

Ranged units better understand how to capture civilian units.

AI should now generally accept embassies when neutral, and reject when unfriendly.

When asking an AI to equalize a deal that has elements on both sides of the deal, it will consider a gold-only change before looking at other possibilities.

Increased AI’s desire to repair pillaged Districts and Buildings.

Minor civs will no longer go after policies that give them extra influence they can never use.

Made it easier to meet the positive side of the environmentalist agenda

AI will now build multiple Neighborhoods.

[BUG FIXES]

The Great Works tooltip in the deal now shows extended information.

Melee units can no longer attack embarked units.

Pillaged improvements no longer provide Pantheon bonuses.

Fixed double-counting of Appeal from Improvements.

Fixed broken gossip message about Seaside Resorts that made them always mention a "lost city".

John Curtin is now referred to as “Prime Minister” and not “President” in the Outback Tycoon scenario.

Fixed an issue where previously constructed buildings were not showing up properly on the Production Chooser.

The World Tracker now keeps its open/closed state between turns.

Additional bug fixes.

[MULTIPLAYER]

Updating Global Thermonuclear War scenario's Proxy War victory condition to support team play.

Expanded internet games list to show results from additional regions

Games list was frequently not showing all available games due to UI bug.

[MISC]

Added more civs to the True Start Location Earth map.

Separated war/peace notifications into major civs vs. city-state.

Added additional information to Defeat/Victory screens, so players will be clearer on why they have lost the game.

Added "special ability" stars to techs and civics that unlock new functionality.

Added invasion warnings to Poland scenario

Added new Capabilities data base table to disable select game systems for scenarios and mods.

ARX functionality updates for scenarios.

Added text labels differentiating Official and Community content in the Lobby screen.

[ADDITONAL CONTENT]

In Game

Fixed issues in the Additional Content menu with mods that contained very long strings.

The "ImportFiles" modding action now works as a Frontend action.

The "UpdateIcons" action now supports SQL files in addition to XML files.

Multiple files can now be specified in the "AddGameplayScripts" Ingame action.

Added a "DoNothing" Frontend action and Ingame action. This action is useful as a placeholder or as a container that includes other actions.

The localization database is now written out to the cache folder.

Development Tools

The SDK launcher will now close after the user has clicked on an application to launch.

ModBuddy will no longer display a 'Parameter "escapedValue" cannot be null.' error when the Development Assets are not installed.

Added SQL syntax coloring to ModBuddy.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

prefect posted:

I miss being able to pick a favorite other civ and give them piles of money and technology. (And then hoping they don't give the tech away to the civs I don't like. :argh:)

My favorite Civilization story is from Civ III. Playing a large map with two giant super continents, go all the way to modern era. I do some scouting and discover the Iriquois who by some random quirk were stuck on a small island, 20 or so tiles from either of the two continents. They were super far behind, like still in the medieval era. I chat with them for a bit. Eventually one of the AI wants info on the Iriquois and I give it to him. Two turns later the Iriquois is in the modern era and ahead of me in technology. Apparently the AI decided, to, um, give them pretty much every tech ever.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I don't know if I've already complained about this, but if you're official friends with somebody, and they declare war on a city-state you're the suzerain of, the only way to stop them is to put six units around the city-state so they can't actually get inside it. :argh:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Those harbor changes are great, holy poo poo.

Cities built on or near coastal tiles being significantly suboptimal seemed really weird.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dragongem posted:

My favorite Civilization story is from Civ III. Playing a large map with two giant super continents, go all the way to modern era. I do some scouting and discover the Iriquois who by some random quirk were stuck on a small island, 20 or so tiles from either of the two continents. They were super far behind, like still in the medieval era. I chat with them for a bit. Eventually one of the AI wants info on the Iriquois and I give it to him. Two turns later the Iriquois is in the modern era and ahead of me in technology. Apparently the AI decided, to, um, give them pretty much every tech ever.

This was an important aspect of Civ3 strategy. The AI would trade all techs with each other between player turns all the goddamn time. So, on high level play, you would get a low priority tech, trade it for a useful one to AI1, then trade that tech to AI2, so on and so forth.

Civ3 was dumb/hilarious.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I think I complained about this already, but I really seriously want an Earth-like type map in between Continents and Pangaea. Does anyone know anything about map modding or can I petition Firaxis or something?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You mean like Civ V's Terra map? All the factions start on a sort of Afro-Eurasia, with an empty Americas-analogue on the other side of the world.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No mot necessarily, but big continents and small continents and isthmuses and gulfs. Not replica of the current earth. Just not two islands, or bazillion small islands.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Krazyface posted:

You mean like Civ V's Terra map? All the factions start on a sort of Afro-Eurasia, with an empty Americas-analogue on the other side of the world.

It would be cool if cities suffering overwhelming unhappiness due to distance from capitol could band together and revolt and become their own AI-controlled civs instead of just futilely spawning barbarians and failing to produce.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

No mot necessarily, but big continents and small continents and isthmuses and gulfs. Not replica of the current earth. Just not two islands, or bazillion small islands.

Yeah I would love a map type like this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Okay those patches actually look good.