Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Haha a nerf to disrupters, already one of the game's most pointless weapons. 100 mineral corvettes is going to be annoying for fielding enough ships to beat the early game pirates. Another buff to going hard on minerals early, potentially balanced by tech offering greater rewards.

Mass drivers did need a nerf. It'll be interesting to see how the new destroyer behaviour pans out; I imagine they'll die in droves as a result of lower evasion if that's not changed.

Making flak PD means that all-cruiser fleets have been emphatically nerfed. They'll now get eaten alive by strike craft, and if they run their own strike to compensate, they'll be gimped against balanced fleets. A Good Change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

100 res corvettes are one way to discourage the early game corvette exploration I suppose!

Just replace it with early game constructor exploration

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Now that flak is a PD slot, it would be neat if we could get another ship module for battleships and cruisers with maybe a single PD slot or something. It's annoying to be forced to use a strike craft module if you want some organic PD on the bigger ships.

Like, yeah I understand a mixed fleet is the ideal, but building ships with NO defense for the small stuff just feels really wrong. I like to build balanced ship designs for flavor rather than trying to min-max it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Flak PD sounds like a straight upgrade over base PD which... eh.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

GunnerJ posted:

Flak PD sounds like a straight upgrade over base PD which... eh.

Agreed. Sacrificing a medium slot for more PD was an interesting tradeoff and gave the option to ignore destroyers & go heavy on cruisers / battleships.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Make flak useless against missiles. That way its PD vs missiles vs strike craft vs flak.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Demiurge4 posted:

Make flak useless against missiles. That way its PD vs missiles vs strike craft vs flak.

This is what I would have wanted, yeah.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hmm those changes will make it significantly more difficult to rush down a neighbor than it already is due to increasing the corvette costs to such a degree.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Splicer posted:

100 res corvettes are one way to discourage the early game corvette exploration I suppose!

I hated using corvettes to explore; for me, the FTL probe mod is a must-have. The only downside is that you have to remember to go into the ship designer and make a template manually before it'll show up in the spaceport build options.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699496957&searchtext=Probe

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hmm those changes will make it significantly more difficult to rush down a neighbor than it already is due to increasing the corvette costs to such a degree.

It'll also make missiles as starting weapon an even better choice. Missile starports are already dominating early and missile buffs combined with more expensive corvettes is only going to make it stronger.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I like the changes to disruptors. The retarded behavior of ships armed with them always meant I had to mix laser/plasma in with my disruptors, otherwise my fleets would try to strip every single enemy ship of shields first before trying to kill them.

As nice as the combination of disruptors hammering down shields and lasers melting the armor beneath was, I'd like to have a full disruptor fleet without effectively crippling myself, thanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, we really need some kind of doctrine button, like the stance button, that tells your fleets whether to focus fire, use their weapons where they're most effective (current behaviour), or just shoot at the closest targets. Preferably by ship size, too, so you don't need to micromanage 4 fleets.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The missile changes are nice but holy loving poo poo the Destroyer behavior changes are the big thing. Point Defense ships actually acting like loving Point Defense ships finally.

I'm cool with Flak being an ultra high-end PD slot so long as the power requirements reflect it's capability. Flak should sill be a tradeoff in the sense that a Flak Destroyer isn't going to be packing a large slot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I actually don't like the destroyer change, because in most of my games I'd just build battleships and destroyers at a 1:1 ratio, destroyers provided a screen of death to anything small that tried to close in quick, battleships sniped everything else from afar.

Now destroyers will just rush in and die to cruisers.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm not sure I understand why flak is the more precise and better tracking version of point defense. I think that what people normally think of as flak guns are old WW2 anti-air artillery cannons, which have been superseded by point defense systems. Nowadays point defense is mostly done by shorter range, precise and rapid firing CIWS systems or guided missiles designed to readjust for and retarget incoming missiles or aircraft.

So, with that in mind, I think that it's a little weird that weapons called flak artillery are an upgrade over point defense, when in real life it's the opposite. Furthermore :goonsay:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 27, 2017

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
I was hoping something was going to be done with ground combat as right now its pretty awful.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure I understand why flak is the more precise and better tracking version of point defense. I think that what people normally think of as flak guns are old WW2 anti-air artillery cannons, which have been superseded by point defense systems. Nowadays point defense is mostly done by shorter range, precise and rapid firing CIWS systems or guided missiles designed to readjust for and retarget incoming missiles or aircraft.

So, with that in mind, I think that it's a little weird that weapons called flak artillery are an upgrade over point defense, when in real life it's the opposite. Furthermore :goonsay:

Seems to be a SF-trope. Space Empires V had the same thing going: Flak in that game was less an actual WWII-Flak but instead some kind of space-shotgun, shooting a cone of destruction into the general direction of missiles and fighters. I'm thinking Stellaris is trying to go down the same route.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think the idea is that both have good tracking systems, but missiles fly in predictable patterns while fighters can maneuver. Thus a single highly accurate projectile can intercept the former but still might miss the latter.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Libluini posted:

Seems to be a SF-trope. Space Empires V had the same thing going: Flak in that game was less an actual WWII-Flak but instead some kind of space-shotgun, shooting a cone of destruction into the general direction of missiles and fighters. I'm thinking Stellaris is trying to go down the same route.

quote:

* Flak is now a Point-Defense slot weapon with a high power cost. It has a faster firing rate and better tracking than regular PD, making it ideal to defend against highly evasive missiles and strike craft.

This doesn't sound like a space shotgun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

This doesn't sound like a space shotgun.

I just translate "better tracking" with "it shoots so much stuff it's easier to hit stuff with it", since it makes more sense

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Space automatic shotguns! That Expandables 1 scene with Hale Caesar, but in space and the bad guys are strike craft/missiles

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Libluini posted:

I just translate "better tracking" with "it shoots so much stuff it's easier to hit stuff with it", since it makes more sense

I'm pretty sure that the tracking stat actually refers to how well the turret can keep on its targets, while the accuracy stat refers to how often the projectiles will hit.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I'm pretty sure that the tracking stat actually refers to how well the turret can keep on its targets, while the accuracy stat refers to how often the projectiles will hit.

Doesn't tracking just subtract directly from the evade on a thing and then accuracy is a separate roll? there's probably some thread on the pdx forums that explains in detail

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Tracking is just a counter to enemy evasion. The current to hit formula is:

Accuracy - (Evasion - Tracking), but the (Evasion - Tracking) can't go below zero. So against high evasion targets, bonuses to Tracking & Accuracy usually mean the same thing.

I think Stellaris flak is supposed to be WWII/Battlestar Galactica flak, just tons of cannons flinging exploding shells downrange designed to fill an area of space with shrapnel that isn't dangerous to large ships but will screw up lightly armored missile & fighters.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Doesn't tracking just subtract directly from the evade on a thing and then accuracy is a separate roll? there's probably some thread on the pdx forums that explains in detail

Nevets posted:

Tracking is just a counter to enemy evasion. The current to hit formula is:

Accuracy - (Evasion - Tracking), but the (Evasion - Tracking) can't go below zero. So against high evasion targets, bonuses to Tracking & Accuracy usually mean the same thing.

Yeah, this is what I mean when I say that it's how well the turret can keep on targets. The evasion and tracking dynamic is simulating the turret being able to line up a shot.

Nevets posted:

I think Stellaris flak is supposed to be WWII/Battlestar Galactica flak, just tons of cannons flinging exploding shells downrange designed to fill an area of space with shrapnel that isn't dangerous to large ships but will screw up lightly armored missile & fighters.

This is pretty much my point, from the sounds of it this is actually what the basic point defense is going to be, while flak is a rapid firing weapon on a mobile turret.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tormented posted:

I was hoping something was going to be done with ground combat as right now its pretty awful.

Could be what they are hinting at for next week, but I agree. The biggest problem for me in the game right now is the awful amount of micro involved in moving troops around and capturing planets. Fixing how that works would be a huge change for the better. This balance stuff is definitely nice but at the end of the day spergs are gonna sperg and will take about a week to figure out the "best" ships and fleets, and then everyone will just build that. The meta will change but not the gameplay.

fake edit: this sounds like grousing but I do think these are positive changes, presumably especially for multiplayer.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Truga posted:

I actually don't like the destroyer change, because in most of my games I'd just build battleships and destroyers at a 1:1 ratio, destroyers provided a screen of death to anything small that tried to close in quick, battleships sniped everything else from afar.

Now destroyers will just rush in and die to cruisers.

I've been using a huge screen of high evasion corvettes, and that's worked pretty well, though I'm pretty sure part of that is due to the AI making really dumb choices for their weapons. All my late game battles (previous to the patch) my fleet had massive shield damage, but almost no hull damage. I think (since the AI fuckin looooves disruptors) they had a disruptor heavy fleet that would wipe shields, retarget, wipe shields--therefore letting all my ships with no shields regen shields, since I stuck the rapid shield regeneration on everything. Since the fleet was big enough, they could never actually wipe enough shields for the majority of their weaponry to ever be hitting hulls on my bigger ships. Meanwhile, all their anti-armor weapons are targeted on corvettes that they can barely hit. This led to me having battles where I would lose a few dozen corvettes to their 100k fleet, which I wiped entirely.

I have no idea if any of that stuff works/worked in the early game though, since I like to avoid wars until I have a big tech and fleet advantage.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

After much brain wracking I've managed to make a whirlpool galaxy that actually has its stars laid out in a way that matches the textures. :science:

Bold Robot posted:

Could be what they are hinting at for next week, but I agree. The biggest problem for me in the game right now is the awful amount of micro involved in moving troops around and capturing planets. Fixing how that works would be a huge change for the better. This balance stuff is definitely nice but at the end of the day spergs are gonna sperg and will take about a week to figure out the "best" ships and fleets, and then everyone will just build that. The meta will change but not the gameplay.

fake edit: this sounds like grousing but I do think these are positive changes, presumably especially for multiplayer.

I'm enjoying a mod that just increases army upkeep, health and morale so that instead of lugging around 20 individual armies you're dealing with maybe five or six. It's much easier to manage, and it actually makes units with lots of morale damage much more useful.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
I don't understand why you'd change the destroyer combat computers to force them to be picket ships instead of just allowing people to choose a combat computer that sets the ship behaviour. There's already (very popular) mods that do this so it's not hard to implement.

Then you can build picket destroyers if you want them, artillery destroyers if you want them instead, etc.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I wish they'd stop pigeonholing ship classes into specific roles when they all have hull options that aren't optimal for that role. I don't see why they can't have multiple AI options.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Yeah, I wish they'd stop pigeonholing ship classes into specific roles when they all have hull options that aren't optimal for that role. I don't see why they can't have multiple AI options.

Because behavior based on role is easy to tell at a glance, while behavior based on a ship component requires you to drill down to a mouseover tooltip in an inspect ship screen.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Bloody Pom posted:

Yep, one of my biggest pet peeves is the "rush in and die" tactic most ships take. If they could somehow have fleet formations instead of individual ship AIs that would be the best long term solution. Like, you could have a "death swarm fleet" that causes all ships to rush in, a standoff formation that causes "artillery" ships to stay at max range, but allows picket ships to go "x" distance away from the core, but not rush.

Then you could choose ship AIs like "Capital" "Assault", "Picket", "Interceptor" or whatever that makes them behave according to the fleet behavior you set (or is set by a doctrine).

Everything wrong with Stellaris combat is rooted in the "rock-paper-scissors" stuff. Forcing ship behavior into that same model is annoying.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LogisticEarth posted:

Yep, one of my biggest pet peeves is the "rush in and die" tactic most ships take. If they could somehow have fleet formations instead of individual ship AIs that would be the best long term solution. Like, you could have a "death swarm fleet" that causes all ships to rush in, a standoff formation that causes "artillery" ships to stay at max range, but allows picket ships to go "x" distance away from the core, but not rush.

Then you could choose ship AIs like "Capital" "Assault", "Picket", "Interceptor" or whatever that makes them behave according to the fleet behavior you set (or is set by a doctrine).

Everything wrong with Stellaris combat is rooted in the "rock-paper-scissors" stuff. Forcing ship behavior into that same model is annoying.

Seriously, get Advanced Ship Behaviors

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790455347&searchtext=

That mod is really great, it's actually possible to design artillery ships that just hang back out of the fight and unload on targets, picket ships that will either stick with the rest of the fleet or approach the enemy as quickly as possible, and you can have carriers that just hang out out of range of pretty much any weapons while they launch fighters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

Seriously, get Advanced Ship Behaviors

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790455347&searchtext=

That mod is really great, it's actually possible to design artillery ships that just hang back out of the fight and unload on targets, picket ships that will either stick with the rest of the fleet or approach the enemy as quickly as possible, and you can have carriers that just hang out out of range of pretty much any weapons while they launch fighters.
Does it strip out lower tiers as you go up in tech level? Say yes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Stellaris will never have good combat for the simple reason that any ship designer more complicated than Sword of the Stars ultimately makes achieving game-long balance without degeneracy impossible.

We can hope for combat that at least looks interesting and without too much obviously stupid behaviour.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Just started my second game, still figuring out things.

As a non-Devouring Swarm hivemind, what wargoals should I prioritize, particularly in the early game?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably none. Conquering other races will make you eat them regardless, unless you have unlocked genemodding so you can absorb them.

You'll be at -1000 very quickly that way.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Truga posted:

Probably none. Conquering other races will make you eat them regardless, unless you have unlocked genemodding so you can absorb them.

You'll be at -1000 very quickly that way.
Would it make sense to make them vassals, tributaries or conquer and displace them? Or should I just concentrate on expansion and ignore warfare altogether until I can get a third civic, turn into a swarm and eat the world?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Aethernet posted:

Mass drivers did need a nerf. It'll be interesting to see how the new destroyer behaviour pans out; I imagine they'll die in droves as a result of lower evasion if that's not changed.

There goes my favorite composition of 100% large autocannon+flak gun destroyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bug Squash posted:

Stellaris will never have good combat for the simple reason that any ship designer more complicated than Sword of the Stars ultimately makes achieving game-long balance without degeneracy impossible.

We can hope for combat that at least looks interesting and without too much obviously stupid behaviour.
Stellaris ship design isn't more complex than SotS, but the complexity is all the wrong types. In SotS researching a new weapon or ship type opens up a sea if new possibilities, in Stellaris it's either an incremental upgrade to an existing weapon or a reshuffling of +vs shields and +vs armour. It's telling that the Hot Strategies that are so good they need to be nerfed work because of economic and targeting quirks, as otherwise ship design is 90% stacking the right modifiers vs your enemy modifiers.

• Locked thread