Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I really liked Quiznos for a while, but at some point my sandwiches started frequently getting random drops of sauces from other sandwiches and I got sick of playing will-this-bite-make-me-gag roulette. Haven’t been to one in like 10 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

`Nemesis posted:

those are russian ships

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

chglcu posted:

I really liked Quiznos for a while, but at some point my sandwiches started frequently getting random drops of sauces from other sandwiches and I got sick of playing will-this-bite-make-me-gag roulette. Haven’t been to one in like 10 years now.

I live in south Jersey outside of Philadelphia :smug:

Never had Quizno's, Jersey Mikes or any other chain, except Subway in Maryland in 1985 when I was desperate.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

PainterofCrap posted:

I live in south Jersey outside of Philadelphia :smug:

Never had Quizno's, Jersey Mikes or any other chain, except Subway in Maryland in 1985 when I was desperate.

You haven't eaten at a Wawa or a Heritage's?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

holttho posted:

lol. "...one of..."

Minor fix.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SpacePig posted:

You haven't eaten at a Wawa or a Heritage's?

Wawa was pretty good until they stopped slicing their own cold cuts and eschewed local bakery bread for baking their own...around 2000; they weren't a national chain when I last had a decent hoagie from them. Now they're mediocre at best, although the veggie hoagie remains a favorite of my wife. The Gobbler was incredible when it first came out; they were using actual turkey breasts. Now, it's a compressed & sliced thing - a better quality of turkey than totally chipped, but still too far processed.

(I am looking out my living room window at my local Wawa, 200' away through the trees)

OK, Heritage's is technically a chain, but in Camden & Gloucester counties only. I live a mile from their HQ.

For folks from hoagie-deprived areas of the country, Wawa is possibly the best that they can get. Far better than Subway. I'd love to direct them to Heritage's; all locations still make a bangin' hoagie.

We get ours from three or four local places. the White House on Arctic in Atlantic City blows everyone else away (in my opinion)

I have been tempted to try Jersey Mike's. How are they?

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Oct 13, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Trabant posted:

Minor fix.
Has Ukraine captured one yet?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PainterofCrap posted:

Wawa was pretty good until they stopped slicing their own cold cuts and local bakery bread...around 2000; they weren't a national chain when I last had a hoagie from them. Now they're mediocre at best, although the veggie hoagie remains a favorite of my wife. The Gobbler was incredible when it first came out; they were using actual turkey breasts. Now, it's a compressed & sliced thing - a better quality of turkey than totally chipped, but still too far processed.

The place to go for turkey hoagies was always Capriotti's anyway.

Wawa is garbage now. Value engineering is such a sad thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splicer posted:

How can they the one russian carrier burned down

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I go to Jersey Mike's about once a year, because they give me points on my birthday for a free sub, so I do that. It's a pretty good sub but I've always felt like sub shops are kind of weird because like, I can put cold cuts on bread myself.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cool Dad posted:

I go to Jersey Mike's about once a year, because they give me points on my birthday for a free sub, so I do that. It's a pretty good sub but I've always felt like sub shops are kind of weird because like, I can put cold cuts on bread myself.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phanatic posted:

The place to go for any hoagie is the School/Church fundraisers. But schools around here only do the chocolate bars anymore, and the only church doing fundraisers is the little Greek orthodox place that's a whole other slice of heaven.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here in FL I have been reasonably happy with the one or two Wawa sandwiches I've tried, not spectacular but pretty okay. But I've heard great things about the ones you get at the deli counter at Publix, and will be trying that soon.

Has to be better than Jimmy Johns and their weird Mike Rowe style lectures they have on the walls about saying please and thank you and an honest day's work, why back in my day

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The place to go for any hoagie is the School/Church fundraisers. But schools around here only do the chocolate bars anymore, and the only church doing fundraisers is the little Greek orthodox place that's a whole other slice of heaven.

Where you at (generally)?

We have firehouse sub fundraisers all over the place. They don't count to me, because the folks making them aren't pros & it's a fund-raiser.

For what they are, they aren't bad. They're fresh, and the bread is usually local & decent (DelBuono's can still make decent rolls, even though they've sold out). I get them whenever possible :kimchi:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah but isn't it great to have dozens of not very good things to choose from rather than the, like, 3 of 4 decent things they would have at any given time before? And isn't a roll that was frozen until maybe an hour before you got there and "baked fresh in the store" so much better than a real roll baked in a real local bakery?

Wawa's still easy to do because they're everywhere in Delco, but man is it not appealing at all anymore.

Anyway, here's cakes I think are funny.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean the real place to go for a solid hoagie is Fu Wah in west Philly. If you can't make it to 47th and Baltimore then I guess your local deli is probably fine.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PainterofCrap posted:

Where you at (generally)?

We have firehouse sub fundraisers all over the place. They don't count to me, because the folks making them aren't pros & it's a fund-raiser.

For what they are, they aren't bad. They're fresh, and the bread is usually local & decent (DelBuono's can still make decent rolls, even though they've sold out). I get them whenever possible :kimchi:

NEPA, Firehouse Subs are fine, but I'm talking about the little corner store Italian delis that were all over the place until they suddenly weren't. Nows there's just the one place in Pittston that pretty stopped doing then because they were getting overloaded with requests.

At least there's still pizza. The street over is a mile long stretch with 6 different places selling 4 different types.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Oct 13, 2022

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Cool Dad posted:

you can literally cook anything if you try but whatever

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

bows1 posted:

you can literally cook anything if you try but whatever

One certainly could. But me? Not likely.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Where the gently caress do you even get the food to cook? It don’t grow on trees.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

No, it grows in growcery stores.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If we're still on subchat, as a reminder Subway is an awful, awful business even among fast food franchises, which is some sort of elite level of evil.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jaxyon posted:

If we're still on subchat, as a reminder Subway is an awful, awful business even among fast food franchises, which is some sort of elite level of evil.

my stepson worked at one a few years ago and said the manager wouldn't let them throw out meat that had ants all over it. so yeah, never eat at subway.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

gbut posted:

No, it grows in growcery stores.

boo_this_man.gif

:golfclap:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think you just really like almonds

I do!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

the admiral kuznetsov is a cursed ship. seven years in drydock for the flagship of the russian fleet because while it was under repair it caught fire, twice

quote:

Admiral Kuznetsov began the overhaul in 2017 after operating on the Syrian coast. In October 2018, it was leaving the floating PD-50 dock of the 82nd shipyard in Roslyakovo when the dock began to sink. A crane fell on the deck because of the list. On December 12, 2019, a fire broke out on the carrier. Admiral Kuznetsov is currently in the 35th shipyard in Murmansk.

here is a clip of it actually not on fire - its engine room is in such hosed up shape and russia can only afford bunker fuel so the ship left a long plume of black smoke everywhere it went, like a clapped out old car with a dripping, shot out exhaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udese771ORw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

love too have my air craft carrier be spottable over the horizon because it's rolling coal like the hms dreadnought.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

OwlFancier posted:

love too have my air craft carrier be spottable over the horizon because it's rolling coal like the hms dreadnought.

fun fact about the HMS Titanic: the coal bunkers were on fire when it set sail from Southampton and it was known

kind of influenced it being in a hurry

and the steel being pretty poo poo was just brilliant because they were also in a hurry to make it

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the admiral kuznetsov is a cursed ship. seven years in drydock for the flagship of the russian fleet because while it was under repair it caught fire, twice

here is a clip of it actually not on fire - its engine room is in such hosed up shape and russia can only afford bunker fuel so the ship left a long plume of black smoke everywhere it went, like a clapped out old car with a dripping, shot out exhaust

I'm surprised they went for a conventional engine and not nuclear propulsion. I get that it's more complex but they already have nuclear submarines so must have the tech and (undertrained, not paid in months) staff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OwlFancier posted:

The fog of war is actually just clouds of exhaust.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

PainterofCrap posted:

I have been tempted to try Jersey Mike's. How are they?

They're decent only for the fact that they slice the meat to order. You get way too little meat for the price but it at least tastes good and is fresh. Condiment options are lacking too.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The best sub s the New York Steamer at Firehouse. Its only sin is that my friends all make Cleveland Steamer jokes when I eat one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

It's like Operation Petticoat, except for an aircraft carrier.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Yo mamma talkin to me, tryin'a tell me how to live

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

rydiafan posted:

The best sub s the New York Steamer at Firehouse. Its only sin is that my friends all make Cleveland Steamer jokes when I eat one.
I was formulating a Cleveland Steamer joke by the 8th word

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Splicer posted:

I was formulating a Cleveland Steamer joke by the 8th word

I finished my Cleveland Steamer joke at word 1 :smug:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

If you don’t finish your Cleveland steamer you don’t get dessert

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cocaine Bear posted:

Your mom's Cleveland Steamer finished at 9 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cocaine Bear posted:

Weird, I usually finish mine at number two.