Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
e: For the smuggler book recommandation, try The Queen of the South by Perez-Réverte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anilEhilated posted:

e: For the smuggler book recommandation, try The Queen of the South by Perez-Réverte.

Thank you!

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
What would be you recommend for someone who just got finished with a Steinbeck binge? Looking to branch out a bit.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Nohearum posted:

What would be you recommend for someone who just got finished with a Steinbeck binge? Looking to branch out a bit.

12th grade

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I am Digging the poo poo outta Blackwater

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Nohearum posted:

Zola

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Junkie Disease posted:

I am Digging the poo poo outta Blackwater

it's good yeah

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Kvlt! posted:

I've been reading a lot of Bukowski and I've been looking for similar stuff: lowlife, addiction, apathy, general scumminess, etc. Short stories are ok but novels are preferred. I'm looking for stuff that is lesser known and not by other beat writers.

Junky - William S Burroughs fits this category nicely I think. Regarding "Ask the dust", I read it looking for Bukowski like stuff and found it entertaining.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

spandexcajun posted:

Junky - William S Burroughs fits this category nicely I think. Regarding "Ask the dust", I read it looking for Bukowski like stuff and found it entertaining.

(That's a beat writer)

( But I agree it's a good book and recommendation.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

(That's a beat writer)

Ok then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can%27t_Win_(book)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

That looks loving awesome. Throw that up in the BOTM poll.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Franchescanado posted:

(That's a beat writer)

Ops, I missed that.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Nohearum posted:

The Once and Future King by T.H. White?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Read the book that steinbeck used the notes for to write the grapes of wrath and as a result wasn't published for decades: Whose names are unknown

or l'assommoir that's cool too

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Looking to read on American music pre and post jazz. Jazz doesn't have to be the focus that's just how I arrived to this interest. Something explicitly about the history of jazz would also be grand.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

nearly killed em! posted:

Looking to read on American music pre and post jazz. Jazz doesn't have to be the focus that's just how I arrived to this interest. Something explicitly about the history of jazz would also be grand.

Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original by Robin Kelley is good.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

nearly killed em! posted:

blues people by amiri baraka

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just finished Running with the Buffaloes by Chris Lear. About the 1998 University of Colorado Men's Cross Country team. I have/had no interest in running or anything but went to CU and got it as a gift and loved it.

Anyway I'm looking for a general direction of what to read next.

Things I know I want: nonfiction or a HS history book (civil war/pre civil war) or a biography
Things I love: skiing, the outdoors, architecture/buildings (like I wouldn't mind reading a book about the creation of something), cars, badass stuff, dreams of vagabonding or driving around the country in an RV going to national parks, animals

Basically a 27 year old normal dude

What I really liked about the book I just read was that it followed the team all season and was entirely about the lead up to and ending with the NCAA championship. I also really liked that about 1776, that it was justthat one year. But it's not a requirement for a book

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Possibly Iron and Silk by Mark Salzmann. Under the heading of "badass stuff". Autobiography by a young white American dude who moves to China to learn Kung Fu.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Things I know I want: nonfiction or a HS history book (civil war/pre civil war) or a biography
Things I love: skiing, the outdoors, architecture/buildings (like I wouldn't mind reading a book about the creation of something), cars, badass stuff, dreams of vagabonding or driving around the country in an RV going to national parks, animals

The Tiger by John Vaillant, JF Smith's Nature Noir, Alan Weisman's The World Without Us

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I just finished Running with the Buffaloes by Chris Lear. About the 1998 University of Colorado Men's Cross Country team. I have/had no interest in running or anything but went to CU and got it as a gift and loved it.

Anyway I'm looking for a general direction of what to read next.

Basically a 27 year old normal dude

What I really liked about the book I just read was that it followed the team all season and was entirely about the lead up to and ending with the NCAA championship. I also really liked that about 1776, that it was justthat one year. But it's not a requirement for a book

Sup shrimp.

Have you read any Jon Krakauer? Sounds like he might be up your alley.

gently caress Brady

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
hieronymous posting the golden bough in the gawain thread reminded me that i haven't read any modern academic/scholarly examinations of myth in a dog's age. any suggestions? obviously i've read franzen and campbell, i'm looking for something more contemporary and less discredited. less popular would also be a plus, as would a focus on western europe.

thanks!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hello please recommendation to me.

The vague part:
I'm open to a wide range of genres and styles, with past successes in sci fi, historical fiction, etc, but mostly I'm after something engaging and ideally expansive without being obtuse. I've plenty of room for the Clouds Atlas and Houses of Leaveses of this world but this needs to be a bit more accessible because..

The specific part:
.. I need it to be in audiobook form so I can listen while working on the house. I have an Audible account and listened to a few books there but it's so hit and miss and so many narrators drone away and make me want to kill myself.

Some examples of how I've experienced prior (non-audio) books that spring to mind:
The Doomsday Book: enjoyed it muchly
Whatever the sequel was to The Doomsday Book: fuckin 6 hours of tossing about on a river, gently caress off
Gardens of the Moon: very interesting concept, just could not get into it
That Patrick Rothfuss one: less interesting concept, still could not get into it
The Expanse: enjoyed, kinda burned out on it
Iain M Banks: 20/60/20 excellent/decent/meh

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If you liked Connie Willis' Doomsday Book she has several more books in that setting. Try Blackout / All Clear.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you liked Connie Willis' Doomsday Book she has several more books in that setting. Try Blackout / All Clear.

Is it (are they) narrated well and less tedious a story than To Say Nothing of the Dog?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Gonna read some more Vonnegut after I finish the book I’m reading. What I’ve read in order of liked-greatly to meh.

Mother Night
Sirens of Titan
Cats Cradle
Slaughter House 5

What should I read next? Also, I’m reading The Idiot now and will move to Brothers Karamazov after chilling to a few easy reads. If I love Crime and Punishment and The Idiot, is it a sure thing that I need to read Tolstoy after Brothers K?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is it (are they) narrated well and less tedious a story than To Say Nothing of the Dog?

I like all three but Dog is a stylistic experiment, blackout / all clear is much closer to the prose style of doomsday book.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Rolo posted:

Gonna read some more Vonnegut after I finish the book I’m reading. What I’ve read in order of liked-greatly to meh.
What should I read next?

Bluebeard, then Breakfast of Champions

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I was gonna recommend Breakfast of Champions, yeah.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a good unabridged English translation for the Ramayana?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anyone got any good recommendation for books regarding mortuary sciences, the death industry, and societal mythologies involving death and the afterlife?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Goodpancakes posted:

Anyone got any good recommendation for books regarding mortuary sciences, the death industry, and societal mythologies involving death and the afterlife?

mortuary science and the death industry:

mary roach, stiff: the curious afterlives of human cadavers
caitlin doughty, smoke gets in your eyes: and other lessons from the crematory
charles wilkins, in the land of long fingernails: a gravedigger in the age of aquarius
caitlin doughty, from here to eternity: traveling the world to find the good death
judy melinek and t.j. mitchell, Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 8, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rolo posted:

Mother Night
Sirens of Titan
Cats Cradle
Slaughter House 5

What should I read next? Also, I’m reading The Idiot now and will move to Brothers Karamazov after chilling to a few easy reads. If I love Crime and Punishment and The Idiot, is it a sure thing that I need to read Tolstoy after Brothers K?

I always recommend Bluebeard as the most underrated Vonnegut.

The Idiot is in my all-time top 5. While it's not quite as good, I think if you liked The Idiot you'll like Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. It's interesting in the ways that it is thematically similar and in how it differs.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

Jessica Mitford's The American Way of Death is a good read although it's a bit old, of course.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've got this itching to revisit a childhood classic in a foreign language - what's the best English translation/edition of The Count of Monte Cristo? Ebook availability preferred.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

I've got this itching to revisit a childhood classic in a foreign language - what's the best English translation/edition of The Count of Monte Cristo? Ebook availability preferred.

I don't know about "best" but most American editions are based on a bowdlerized 19th century translation that cut out all the drug use etc. So make sure it's a *modern* translation.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

robin buss

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

anilEhilated posted:

I love the version on Project Gutenberg. Just looked and oddly enough I don't see any info about who did the translation.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

I love the version on Project Gutenberg. Just looked and oddly enough I don't see any info about who did the translation.

That's almost certainly an old public domain one, and robin buss says that all the old translations have serious problems and take liberties with the text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Nevertheless