Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm interested in me figuring stuff out or not, not other people. I really enjoyed getting surprised by the twists in this show. Eliminating or confirming other people's guesses from week to week isn't as appealing to me. To each their own, but yeah that is why I avoid show threads while the show is airing in general and then check it out in between seasons.

On the flip side if I wasn't in this thread, I would have missed all the cool website stuff like the hosts programming loops that, in the rare case of marketing materials actually being on the same page as the show, offered insight and not just bullshit, but in that "Huh, neat extra layer of detail" kind of way that sort of thing SHOULD be.

Also I would have missed finding out that the big command center table is a 100% practical effect which is loving nuts. I think everyone assumes it's CGI but nope, the actors can look at it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

it just turns into a texas sharpshooter fallacy where every possible (and even impossible) guess is made and when something is revealed it's all wow the internet figured it out!

i wouldn't be surprised if people were posting on reddit about multiple timelines before there were ever hints of it.

that was just the only way the story could go. they could've just revealed luke is in hiding and that kylo ren is a sith and just from that it's pretty easy to piece together kylo ren destroyed his new jedi order and that kylo was likely han and leia's son since he's a force user. the only thing spoiled for me was the last shot cuz patton oswalt is an idiot and tweeted it out that it had the best final shot of any star wars so i knew 100 percent it was gonna be luke.

Not really. This wasn't the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy because the people talking about multiple timelines offered VERY compelling evidence that continued to mount; it wasn't a shot in the dark random what if (like the guy who guessed HODOR on Game of Thrones), but logical deductions.

Likewise Force Awakens was so telegraphed you could tell MOST of the twists from the trailer. Go watch RLM's pre-Force Awakens video. It's loving crazy how much they got the entire movie.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There were hints in the second episode, which was available online immediately upon premiere, if I recall.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Not really. This wasn't the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy because the people talking about multiple timelines offered VERY compelling evidence that continued to mount; it wasn't a shot in the dark random what if (like the guy who guessed HODOR on Game of Thrones), but logical deductions.

Likewise Force Awakens was so telegraphed you could tell MOST of the twists from the trailer. Go watch RLM's pre-Force Awakens video. It's loving crazy how much they got the entire movie.

To be fair Hodor guy figured it out from logical deduction, just logical deduction about GRRM himself and not GOT. (Based on GRRM saying he liked elevator operators in some interview)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFM3V_dors

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Goddamn, that shot of Dolores on the horse.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh fuuuuuuuuuuck i dont want to wait until 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope we can at least get some more Jimmi Simposn, even though I have no idea how he would even fit in anymore. I didn't want him to be MIB because I want Jimmi to still be in the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Time to introduce friendly, honorable Old Logan.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SO HYPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-pk2vZG2M

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Haha that's great, they're just mowing down the guests!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ed Harris's hell smile.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ed Harris's hell smile.

Reminds me of his smile after he's winged in the ending of S1. Finally the MIB gets his "worthy adversaries."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Entropic posted:

Goddamn, that shot of Dolores on the horse.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
drat, I'm pumped and can't believe we have an entire year to wait. Though I'm not gonna lie, I hope the park is still open and operating in some capacity because the way it functions is a big part of what drew me in in the first place. But then on the other hand, the gunfights were the least interesting part of the show to me because almost all of them were "fake" so now the stakes will be real.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Capping your 10K a day paying guests isn't a business model for sustainability!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Westworld Will Only Last a 'Little Longer' Says Co-Creator

I'd be fine with three seasons to tell the complete story in three acts. Plus they're already going to have a hard time topping the first season as it is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought they had five seasons planned wth.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'd be fine with three seasons to tell the complete story in three acts. Plus they're already going to have a hard time topping the first season as it is.

In context I would take it with a grain of salt:

quote:

"The more we think about these questions, the more it feels like your mind is turning inside out. So it might be best for us after doing this for a little longer that we all just mutually agree to stop," he said. "I’ve concluded we must be in a simulation of some kind. I just did a tequila shot with Ed Harris at Comic-Con."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

it doesnt come across as well in that gif but she is def loving that horse like our current vice president wants to

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

R-Type posted:

Capping your 10K a day paying guests isn't a business model for sustainability!

You sweet summer child.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I liked the drowned Tiger

Also, was that Stubbs in the sci fi jeep?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I liked the drowned Tiger

Also, was that Stubbs in the sci fi jeep?

Yeah I guess some security staff survived the uprising even though it looks like all the control center staff got wiped out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

etalian posted:

Yeah I guess some security staff survived the uprising even though it looks like all the control center staff got wiped out.

Yeah, don't you remember that he was out in the park getting surrounded by the Ghost Nation when poo poo went down? Also Elsie is in the cast for next season.

Does that tiger mean that Samurai World poo poo is getting into Westworld? I hope the horses and birds and tigers are all sentient too and just as smart as the hosts now.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought they had five seasons planned wth.

Didn't click the link but maybe they mean Westworld as a park. Like the setting is going to change in the next seasons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

business hammocks posted:

Does that tiger mean that Samurai World poo poo is getting into Westworld? I hope the horses and birds and tigers are all sentient too and just as smart as the hosts now.

That's my assumption.

Why else even reveal samuraiworld if you're not going to bring it into play?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

The shot of dolores on the horse gave me a boner

look at her hips :captainpop:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lmao dudes thats how most folks look when riding a horse, non pros especially

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
what's your drat point son

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

As long as they get to end it on their term I'm fine.

I want them to tell the story they have in mind, not fill it up with junk to fill air time and because it's popular.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bet Ed Harris is killing humans and hosts alike

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Professor Shark posted:

I bet Ed Harris is killing humans and hosts alike

The start of a smile on his face right at the end, gives me loving shivers.

I can't wait for 2018.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope all the guests are just hiding out and all scared and panicked and then the Man in Black runs in and is having the time of his life.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope all the guests are just hiding out and all scared and panicked and then the Man in Black runs in and is having the time of his life.

I hope he gets his poo poo pushed in when it turns out that 30 years of murdering people who couldn't fight back didn't actually turn him into a huge badass.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They aren't people

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Crimpolioni posted:

I hope he gets his poo poo pushed in when it turns out that 30 years of murdering people who couldn't fight back didn't actually turn him into a huge badass.

This would make sense, especially if any of them get the level up treatment from someone with a WW ipad, but I'm also guessing holding the majority owner of the place hostage inside is a better move for the hosts.

Edit: I'd put a small bet down that in S2 we're getting into something akin to "The Second Renaissance"/City 01 portion of The Animatrix, with the hosts establishing Westworld as a sort of City 01 style sovereign nation. Seems like a logical step from asserting their own personhood to asserting their place in the larger world. On the other hand idk how you really portray that sort of thing, maybe using "the board" as a stand-in/intermidiary for the rest of the world at large.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 24, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: I'd put a small bet down that in S2 we're getting into something akin to "The Second Renaissance"/City 01 portion of The Animatrix, with the hosts establishing Westworld as a sort of City 01 style sovereign nation. Seems like a logical step from asserting their own personhood to asserting their place in the larger world. On the other hand idk how you really portray that sort of thing, maybe using "the board" as a stand-in/intermidiary for the rest of the world at large.

I think we could give a flipped version of future world, which I still hold had some interesting ideas if too many of them and was utterly scatterbrained.

The hosts take the place over, replace the guests and make the new business replacing guests with hosts, the rest of the world unaware of what happened.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

That's my assumption.

Why else even reveal samuraiworld if you're not going to bring it into play?

To tease people with a Japan fetish, obviously.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I hope the horses and birds and tigers are all sentient too and just as smart as the hosts now.

oh whoa yea thatd be really interesting. And maybe part of the debate that bernard has is whether to activate the sentience part of the animal hosts, or just let them stay animals. Like, does he imbue them with sentience or let them stay the way they are. A real "and then I became" god moment ala bender in futurama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Horses flip the gently caress out all the time but everyone just thinks its realistic horse behavior, not existential crises

• Locked thread