Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
I don't know how anyone can claim that Scott has been in a slow decline when his worst work is clearly wedged between Blade Runner and Gladiator. Thelma and Louise is the exception, but the rest of that period is just dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

And Ridley Scott has been on a slow downward quality slide ever since. Now he only wants to make movies with tedious sad-robot themes.

lol dude's movie before Covenant was both critically and commercially praised and won a bunch of awards and big name talent would kill to be in his next project but keep believing the delusion, buddy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Arkhams Razor posted:

I don't know how anyone can claim that Scott has been in a slow decline when his worst work is clearly wedged between Blade Runner and Gladiator. Thelma and Louise is the exception, but the rest of that period is just dire.

You just reminded me that White Squall exists. :barf:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Arkhams Razor posted:

Legend is decent

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ruddiger posted:

lol dude's movie before Covenant was both critically and commercially praised and won a bunch of awards and

That means gently caress-all. They're a sympathy vote.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you think The Martian was pop trash, that's fine, but its popularity was not the result of sympathy votes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sponges posted:

Legend is decent

Yeah, it's ok. Thelma and Louise kicks rear end, of course.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I want to check out that Columbus movie Scott directed

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Never got the hate for The Counselor, one of my fav Scott films.

sponges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UXU7LjMYug

I saw that teaser hundreds of times growing up (It was on the Wayne's World vhs :rock:)
Always gave me the impression it had some weird sci-fi twist.

I should probably check it out, it looks, well, I dunno.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmnLrzG2zKw
Wonder if the Vangelis score is as wild as that Enigma track in the trailer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sponges posted:

It's pretty good but they hosed up by casting Depardieu, he just didn't work in the role. But it's a great looking film, as you'd expect with Scott.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

This is for the best. Prometheus & Covenant prove that Alien was a great movie in spite of Scott, not because of him.

Agreed completely. Glad to see the consensus at least outside of this place has rightfully been "thank god"

Blomkamp's film not happening remains the true loss in all of this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

It's wonderful.

Chris James 2 posted:

Agreed completely. Glad to see the consensus at least outside of this place has rightfully been "thank god"

Alright, so go there.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Arkhams Razor posted:

I don't know how anyone can claim that Scott has been in a slow decline when his worst work is clearly wedged between Blade Runner and Gladiator.

Between the end credits of American Gangster and the start credits of The Martian, he didn't make one good film. I haven't seen all his work between BR and Gladiator so I can't say if this period was worse than that, but it stands out nonetheless.

Body of Lies sucked, Robin Hood really sucked, Prometheus really sucked, Covenant really really sucked, Exodus really sucked. The Counselor was mediocre at best but I'd definitely be willing to consider that the best of his work there

All The Money in the World was pretty good and it's impressive what he was able to pull off there, in case anybody for some odd reason thinks I just hate his work and don't want to appreciate anything he's capable of in 2017.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Prometheus is good
Covenant isgood
Exodus is good

Robin Hood is not good but I still kinda like it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Robin Hood LOOKS good, at least.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Oh and the Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is dope.

On another note I love how angry people get over Prometheus and Covenant. They’ll never get over it. It’s adorable :allears:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't really met anyone in real life that hates Prometheus. It's always somewhere in the "okay but not great" range. So people usually are still surprised when I say it's one of my favorite movies of the decade, but they don't like, spit on me or anything over it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't really met anyone in real life that hates Prometheus. It's always somewhere in the "okay but not great" range. So people usually are still surprised when I say it's one of my favorite movies of the decade, but they don't like, spit on me or anything over it.

Because it’s not the internet and people try to behave more regular outside of it than being able to vomit their black souls out to inflict on others digitally

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If art, movies and books and pen or paint and paper are windows into mans mind and the visions he dreams of then the internet is the ID and subconscious that lurks under.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gatts posted:

Because it’s not the internet and people try to behave more regular outside of it than being able to vomit their black souls out to inflict on others digitally

Hey, speak for yourself.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sponges posted:

On another note I love how angry people get over Prometheus and Covenant. They’ll never get over it. It’s adorable :allears:
It’s the best. I don’t understand why a bunch of them came out of the woodwork lately, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I think that Ridley Scott has been kind of hit or miss for his entire career. He's made some really great films, and some that I think aren't so great. But I don't think that's a big deal, and I don't think it reflects particularly poorly on him as a director.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

It’s the best. I don’t understand why a bunch of them came out of the woodwork lately, though.

I think maybe there was a sense that Covenant would "redeem" Prometheus, and so they were waiting to see if that would happen. But it didn't(in their eyes), and so now it's safe to come back out again and say what a lovely director Scott is and how he ruined the franchise.

Snak posted:

I mean, I think that Ridley Scott has been kind of hit or miss for his entire career. He's made some really great films, and some that I think aren't so great. But I don't think that's a big deal, and I don't think it reflects particularly poorly on him as a director.

I don't think that's arguable, I mean Scott absolutely has made a bunch of movies that are mediocre or even bad depending on your taste. But he's extremely prolific, that's how he's also managed to compile an very impressive list of masterpieces or near masterpieces. I respect both sides of the coin, it's obviously impressive to look at Kubrick's filmography and realize that he basically never missed, everything he did was gold. But at the same time I also admire someone like Scott that just keeps churning out films year after year after year and just never stops.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 28, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

I think maybe there was a sense that Covenant would "redeem" Prometheus, and so they were waiting to see if that would happen. But it didn't(in their eyes), and so now it's safe to come back out again and say what a lovely director Scott is and how he ruined the franchise.

I was so pleasantly surprised that Covenant's marketing, which promised a bit of a fakeout, instead doubled down on every crazy idea Prometheus had.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gatts posted:

I've never really understood the impulse to hate someone who really really likes something I consider dreadful unless it's like, the Turner Diaries or something

Like if I met a guy who really really liked the Mike Myers Cat In The Hat movie, I'd just kinda wanna know what his story is but meeting that kind of person seems to send some people into an existential crisis.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

My friends used to watch those Friedberg-Seltzer comedies and I would judge them for it

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Between the end credits of American Gangster and the start credits of The Martian, he didn't make one good film.

Nah. Prometheus, Covenant and The Counselor are some of his best work. Exodus is at the bare minimum interesting, even if it isn't filled out beyond its two leads. But even the worst films in that time period aren't as terrible as Black Rain, White Squall, or G.I. Jane.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
GI Jane is good.

Black Rain is okay. Like, it's horribly racist, but it's visually interesting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sponges posted:

wyoming posted:

I should probably check it out, it looks, well, I dunno.

It has great costumes but is honestly weirdly pedestrian looking overall and the movie in general ends up being pretty by the numbers. It's also a, uh, VERY generous portrayal of Columbus. Personally I'd skip it. The Vangelis soundtrack is great but not used to great effect in the movie itself.

I would NOT skip the soundtrack however as the cut Vangelis used for the soundtrack album is excellent. It's generally highly regarded among film score fans.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
I kind of hope Blomkamp gets to make his Aliens movie and it turns out that only SMG likes it, but he really really likes it.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Time will be very kind to Prometheus and, to a lesser extent, Covenant. I'd like to think that the future would look upon those films' naysayers as tasteless pedantic destroyers of cinema, but I don't that will be the case. Considering that nearly every complaint about Prometheus is that it does not provide a power fantasy ("that's not how my space mission to find god would go! why do they run from the falling ship like that,? these scientists are so dumb.") or hand-wringing about film-as-universe-simulation ("chestbursters don't look like that. you're telling me that space jockeys aren't giant elephant dudes? it's not 'lovecraftian' if i know where the alien comes from!"), these movies will ultimately be seen as victims of shifts in big-budget filmmaking and what audiences want out of their blockbusters.

That is to say, Prometheus a is bad investment from a studio standpoint for two reasons: you can't spend $120 million on a movie that tells general audiences that they would hilariously gently caress up their big space oddysey, and franchise fans are trained to pay more attention to superficial elements of the franchise rather than the actual films (to paraphrase SMG, Alien fans don't actually like Alien). These two reasons are compounded by the choices studios are actively making for their other films, as well as the social media ecosystems audiences use to discuss and form opinions of these films, creating a feedback loop.

I actually think turning Prometheus 2/Paradise into a straightforward Alien prequel was the biggest mistake Ridley\Fox could have made. Audiences can acclimate once they know what the thing you're selling actually is, and a sequel that did not have implicit insecurity over its lineage probably would have sold surprisingly well.

The second biggest mistake was killing Oram's son before the climax

MajorB fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 29, 2017

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

MajorB posted:

Considering that nearly every complaint about Prometheus is that it does not provide a power fantasy ("that's not how my space mission to find god would go! why do they run from the falling ship like that,? these scientists are so dumb.") or hand-wringing about film-as-universe-simulation ("chestbursters don't look like that. you're telling me that space jockeys aren't giant elephant dudes? it's not 'lovecraftian' if i know where the alien comes from!"), these movies will ultimately be seen as victims of shifts in big-budget filmmaking and what audiences want out of their blockbusters.

I think you entirely missed the reasons people don't like these films. Lots of us find the themes hackneyed and tedious.

The best thing you can say about Prometheus is that it gives Indo-Eurpopean historical linguists a great anecdote and party trick.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 29, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

wyoming posted:

To quote myself from the last time this came up:

quote:

I was bored stupid about thirty minutes in and gave up after ten scenes in a row of "You know if you do this, it is a dark step and you can never take it back and it will change your life for the worse no matter what you think" amidst a bunch of characters that looked like walking SNL sketches. Show, don't tell, and for the love of god don't tell and re-tell and re-tell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have a twisted dark secret...I kind of like the Counselor. Just because of how ridiculous it is with the dialog. Just the image of Brad Pitt reciting all that dialog or thought of telling Cameron Diaz "Okay, now I want you to get on the windshield of the car...and have sex with it. Javier, look in terrified awe of what you are witnessing. Cameron, you are a personification of a cat and everyone is your plaything......and you win in the end. GO!" is funny to me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dont even fink about it posted:

To quote myself from the last time this came up:

Cormac wrote the words tho, not Ridley.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MajorB posted:

Time will be very kind to Prometheus and, to a lesser extent, Covenant. I'd like to think that the future would look upon those films' naysayers as tasteless pedantic destroyers of cinema, but I don't that will be the case. Considering that nearly every complaint about Prometheus is that it does not provide a power fantasy ("that's not how my space mission to find god would go! why do they run from the falling ship like that,? these scientists are so dumb.") or hand-wringing about film-as-universe-simulation ("chestbursters don't look like that. you're telling me that space jockeys aren't giant elephant dudes? it's not 'lovecraftian' if i know where the alien comes from!"), these movies will ultimately be seen as victims of shifts in big-budget filmmaking and what audiences want out of their blockbusters.

They'll probably look back on it as 2001: A Space Odyssey for dummies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SUNKOS posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey is also "for dummies". There is nearly a full hour of the film without any dialogue, the majority of the dialogue in the film is incidental anyway. It translates well because it barely needs translation.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

2001 only caught on with Joe Shmo when it came out because everyone was like "yo this poo poo is like :catdrugs:" not because they were looking for an intricate narrative.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

SUNKOS posted:

2001 and Prometheus are very different movies that share some broad concepts, though there is some homage involved too. The idea that Prometheus is a "dumbed down" version of 2001 indicates that you are either misremembering or completely failed to pay attention to the movies.

And as much as those two movies have in common, it doesn't hold a candle to the relationship between 2001 and Alien, which is essentially a beat-for-beat parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A YouTube channel I follow posted up a cool retrospective on the canceled Aliens RPG video game, Aliens: Crucible

https://youtu.be/2KmwNIdkeZc

This got cancelled in favor of Gearbox’s Aliens: Colonial Marines. Whoops!