Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Battle report from this dead gay game!

1750 points, Sons of Horus vs Vlka Fenryka, centurion mode.

I brought:
Praetor with paragon blade (hammer)
Primus Medicae on scimitar
2x 10 man tactical squads with extra ccw
6 sky hunters with melta bombs and 2 multimeltas
Contemptor with chain fist and kheres
5 Justaerin Terminators
5 plasma support tacticals

My opponent brought:
Praetor with thunder hammer
2x 10 man grey slayers with a handful of power weapons
Contemptor
Leviathan
5 deathsworn
Pravean with 2 vorax

The scenario was from book 7. Basically whoever kills the other players Warlord wins. If both warlords die, tie breaker goes to first blood.

Vlka Fenryka won first turn. The battle opened with Justaerin shaking off a phosphex bombardment with minimal casualties, and the Contemptor gunning down a few tacticals with volkite. A few critical run and charge attempts failed to make the distance.

The Sons of Horus responded with their usual sledgehammer level of subtlety. The contemptor charged and swept the vorax. The Justaerin and plasma teams wiped a grey slayer squad. A tactical squad charged the leviathan intending to tie it up, but the sergeant said “gently caress that” and blew it up with a melta bomb!

After the Justaerin and Deathsworn beat the crap out of each other, the warlords met in the middle. The cumbersome thunderhammer was no match for the nimble paragon hammer, and a murderous strike sealed the victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, I would run power swords. Mostly for flavor and so the extra initiative is pretty likely to come in handy, but power axe is still objectively better. You just have to bully power armor guys exclusively with them instead of being able to chop down terminators while all your basic guys are exploded by power Fists.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
It's great to see two great armies in pictures like that.

Safety Factor posted:

Yep, demons were talked about at Warhammer Fest. Here's a summary I stole off of the internet from someone who was there:

Demons sound interesting, but I don't know how the hell they're going to work out balance-wise. This could either be really cool or unbalanced as hell like custodes and Thousand Sons.

This stuff excites me greatly. My toxxed alternative daemon horse is growing and the prospect of build-a-bear daemons like the cult militia will be great.

Here they are at the moment. Death is done and I am current getting torn into pestilence.

Greetings from the ruinstorm.

\/Cheers! I didn't get the reference but I looked it up and yes, completely. The more cartoony sculpts don't quite fit with the more body-horror ones but they were so much fun to paint. The big one with the giant human mouth is Alexandre, the Twisted Lord, named for Lord Twisted who was the first to face him in battle. He got punched to death in short order by Imperial Fist terminators.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 8, 2018

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Those guys are straight from Aaaahh!!! Real Monsters

(They own)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JackMack posted:

This stuff excites me greatly. My toxxed alternative daemon horse is growing and the prospect of build-a-bear daemons like the cult militia will be great.

Here they are at the moment. Death is done and I am current getting torn into pestilence.

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/aS7OMKI.jpg[/
\/Cheers! I didn't get the reference but I looked it up and yes, completely. The more cartoony sculpts don't quite fit with the more body-horror ones but they were so much fun to paint. The big one with the giant human mouth is Alexandre, the Twisted Lord, named for Lord Twisted who was the first to face him in battle. He got punched to death in short order by Imperial Fist terminators.

I feel honoured to have beaten him up with my mean old terminators. Love those models. You're going to have some wicked games when malevolence hits!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JackMack posted:

Your models would be loving perfect. "Generic" chaos is really under-represented in the range with its focus on god-specific demons. Hopefully there will be more armies like yours that let that weirdness shine through.

I'm also curious what, if anything, Forge World will put out for demons. There was talk about conversion kits for the plastic models and I'm sure they'll at least add a couple of larger demons.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghazk posted:

Battle report from this dead gay game!

1750 points, Sons of Horus vs Vlka Fenryka, centurion mode.

I brought:
Praetor with paragon blade (hammer)
Primus Medicae on scimitar
2x 10 man tactical squads with extra ccw
6 sky hunters with melta bombs and 2 multimeltas
Contemptor with chain fist and kheres
5 Justaerin Terminators
5 plasma support tacticals

My opponent brought:
Praetor with thunder hammer
2x 10 man grey slayers with a handful of power weapons
Contemptor
Leviathan
5 deathsworn
Pravean with 2 vorax

The scenario was from book 7. Basically whoever kills the other players Warlord wins. If both warlords die, tie breaker goes to first blood.

Vlka Fenryka won first turn. The battle opened with Justaerin shaking off a phosphex bombardment with minimal casualties, and the Contemptor gunning down a few tacticals with volkite. A few critical run and charge attempts failed to make the distance.

The Sons of Horus responded with their usual sledgehammer level of subtlety. The contemptor charged and swept the vorax. The Justaerin and plasma teams wiped a grey slayer squad. A tactical squad charged the leviathan intending to tie it up, but the sergeant said “gently caress that” and blew it up with a melta bomb!

After the Justaerin and Deathsworn beat the crap out of each other, the warlords met in the middle. The cumbersome thunderhammer was no match for the nimble paragon hammer, and a murderous strike sealed the victory!

Nice batrep Ghazk! How are you enjoying centurion mode?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JackMack posted:

Is that the old Epic Mortarion hiding at the back there?

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I’ve been enjoying it a lot, it really shakes up the meta with fairly simple changes. Even the humble bolter is a threat to the majority of the enemy’s army.

I like playing 30K tank parking lot too, but mixing this game type in helps keep things fresh.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Corrode posted:

Is that the old Epic Mortarion hiding at the back there?

It is death himself, done by Mike mcvey for a board game.I like the mini precisely because of that link to the old epic mini. The new mortarion does not appeal to me. Grumble
Grumble modern models where are my slippers.

He will just be a daemon prince though. I might use him as Belakor in 40k

I phoned in painting him a bit. He is the most sepia miniature in the history of painting and there are loads of details I should go back and do. The bones looks like the robes. His skin looks like the metal. His tatty gold wings are the bit I am most pleased with.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Your models would be loving perfect. "Generic" chaos is really under-represented in the range with its focus on god-specific demons. Hopefully there will be more armies like yours that let that weirdness shine through.

I'm also curious what, if anything, Forge World will put out for demons. There was talk about conversion kits for the plastic models and I'm sure they'll at least add a couple of larger demons.

Agreed. There is too much focus on making them Fantasy and 40k compatible and the medieval look of a lot of them is jarring. Particularly the big armoured daemons. Samus and Corbax utterblight are both pretty uninspiring.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Any of you have recommendations for making a good Zone Mortalis board without buying FW.

I saw this recently https://www.gamemat.eu/our-products/terrain/chem-zone/sk/ and was wondering if any of you had a guess on how many of these sets would be required for a 4x4, or if you’ve heard of better terrain deals that would make for good future ZM, Kill Team, or Necromunda battlefields.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Uroboros posted:

Any of you have recommendations for making a good Zone Mortalis board without buying FW.

I saw this recently https://www.gamemat.eu/our-products/terrain/chem-zone/sk/ and was wondering if any of you had a guess on how many of these sets would be required for a 4x4, or if you’ve heard of better terrain deals that would make for good future ZM, Kill Team, or Necromunda battlefields.

https://deathraydesigns.com/product/deadbolts-derelict-corridors-bundle/

The death ray designs necromunda set is actually not too bad for what you get and is of really good quality.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zasze posted:

The death ray designs necromunda set is actually not too bad for what you get and is of really good quality.

If you have access to a 3d printer, this person made a set of walls compatible with the necromunda boards:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2742746

more: https://imgur.com/gallery/357Lp

it looks like a fun project, it will just take forever to print that much stuff

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zasze posted:

While I didn't order their corridors set, as a caution I did get a bunch of death ray consoles, crates, and palettes.The sprues were a pain to work with, the parts required filing, and a lot of their designs are over complicated. I was very underwhelmed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Underhive tiles with bulkheads worked fine for the last game I played
https://imgur.com/p4UK4ab

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Underhive tiles with bulkheads worked fine for the last game I played
https://imgur.com/p4UK4ab

Yeah I was going to ask, seems like the Necromunda bulkheads would work great. I bought another box of them to make NM more interesting and to use to start 30k with ZM.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
NM tiles do start warping for some readon

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

JcDent posted:

NM tiles do start warping for some readon

Maybe humidity or unknowingly getting it damp? I’ve had mine since launch weekend and that’s definitely not a problem with mine.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

First two night bois finished painting, also used the shapeways shoulder pads since getting 60 insignias for 20 hurts my wallet alot less than forgeworld shoulder pads.

I primed this first set with black and i think it might have been a mistake as they game out super dark, I might try and do my next set with a white or grey base? I saw some people doing silver/metalic which looked neat but kinda cribbed on the alpha legion scheme.

Also Hixson what white do you use for the faceplates on your dudes? I was trying with ubshabti bone -> white scar but it kept coming out chalky looking and was even after a crazy amount of paint thinning.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Zasze posted:

First two night bois finished painting, also used the shapeways shoulder pads since getting 60 insignias for 20 hurts my wallet alot less than forgeworld shoulder pads.

I primed this first set with black and i think it might have been a mistake as they game out super dark, I might try and do my next set with a white or grey base? I saw some people doing silver/metalic which looked neat but kinda cribbed on the alpha legion scheme.

Also Hixson what white do you use for the faceplates on your dudes? I was trying with ubshabti bone -> white scar but it kept coming out chalky looking and was even after a crazy amount of paint thinning.

You’re dudes are looking great :)

My white is just Vallejo dead white, washed black, then glazed up to dead white again leaving some of the tinted dead white on the raised faces.

If you haven’t tried glazing grab some Vallejo glaze medium, add a couple drops when thinning and give it a try

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
What a lovely day:

Only bad part being that I have to wait for book 8 and then wait some more for actual BA models :v: .

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The 30k thread is now officially hosting Zone Mortalis at LVO 2019. Last year was quite fun despite no organization at all whatsoever, next year is gonna be very good. If you’re a lurker or thread regular please consider flying to a degenerate hell city next February and playing small mans in hallways with your fellow posters.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

While I didn't order their corridors set, as a caution I did get a bunch of death ray consoles, crates, and palettes.The sprues were a pain to work with, the parts required filing, and a lot of their designs are over complicated. I was very underwhelmed.

Ive not bought anything from them before but im really impressed with the corridors / doors been using them with my necromunda group for a while now they are really a game changer over the stock boards for giving the games a more claustrophobic feel.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 13, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

The 30k thread is now officially hosting Zone Mortalis at LVO 2019. Last year was quite fun despite no organization at all whatsoever, next year is gonna be very good. If you’re a lurker or thread regular please consider flying to a degenerate hell city next February and playing small mans in hallways with your fellow posters.

Pretty rude they didn't include a picture of the crystal caverns from last year.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tallkidwithglasses posted:

drat son. Big Leagues

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This year you should fight in the toxic wastes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I, personally, can't wait for Panascope to take his turn as a volunteer ref while 17 beers in.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Safety Factor posted:

I, personally, can't wait for Panascope to take his turn as a volunteer ref while 17 beers in.

Hopefully, this will occur mid-game, while he is playing. "Look at me. I'm the Warmaster now."

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Last time I was ref, people had fun, so I will def NOT be helping this time around

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

Last time I was ref, people had fun

Sir, this is the 30k thread.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Any questions?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Any questions?

TS+ when?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

What a great question.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
I recall reading on here that some goons play at the northwest gaming centre i.e. Element Games. What legions are people playing? I'd like to get involved (don't want to play pick up games with random people), don't want to end up collecting a legion that everyone else has - not too concerned about how powerful they are just want to push man dollies around a board, roll dice and put down templates drink beer.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

BULBASAUR posted:

Any questions?

When is Bonely coming back!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

not lame! posted:

I recall reading on here that some goons play at the northwest gaming centre i.e. Element Games. What legions are people playing? I'd like to get involved (don't want to play pick up games with random people), don't want to end up collecting a legion that everyone else has - not too concerned about how powerful they are just want to push man dollies around a board, roll dice and put down templates drink beer.

Northwest of where? United States? A lot of us Pacific northwesterners (who are very heavily overrepresented in the thread) play either at Meeples or Mox boarding house/cafe Mox.

If you’re talking like northwest England, not sure at all!

Either way, what other people play shouldn’t influence your legion choice. Pick one that has appealing fluff and playstyle to you personally. Do you want to be traitor or loyalist? Mans or vehicles? Shooty or assaulty? All legion all the time, or do you someday want to mix in allies like militia or mechanicum stuff?