Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

Second day of oral arguments are about to begin, enjoy some fresh Bundyisms:

https://www.scribd.com/document/323980240/09-13-2016-ECF-1264-USA-v-A-Bundy-et-al-Motion-to-Quash-Jury-Pool-by-Ryan-Bundy

Shoutout to the Magna Charta.

Hahaha holy poo poo, he's still sticking to the strategy of the feds not having jurisdiction, and wants a state government trial in Harney county, with Harney residents as jurors.

quote:

18) Nor was there any facts alleged where defendant Ryan Bundy, waived his right as a traveler sojourning peacefully in the state Oregon under Article I, section 11; to be tried in the county in which he was arrested.

FREEMAN ON THE LAND

This is great, the judge has to deny his self-representation now, right? he's filed nothing but ridiculous claims at this point.

The more I read the more amazing it gets, page 7 (of 20!) starts a 3-page history of the Magna Carta and Medieval Laws, featuring trials by ordeal, Oliver Cromwell and William Penn.

quote:

The problems of jury trials
Juries can go very wrong, especially in ‘terrorist’ cases (see the ‘Birmingham Six’ and the ‘Guildford Four’). They give no reasons for their verdicts, and their deliberations are swathed in unnecessary secrecy.

And now he's disputing what a 'state' is, according to an 1870 law dictionary.

He keeps saying 'vicinage' is that a real legal term, or a latin-based word he's using to make himself seem smarter?

Uh oh, he's using a normal-ish signature, i guess the secret government mind control/boat program got to him

quote:

Respectfully submitted this 9th day of August 2016.

/s/ Ryan C. Bundy
Ryan C. Bundy
In Propria Persona, Sui Juris

20 pages of this nonsense :stare:

I wonder if the judge's response will be "This is America, there are no Crowns" :fuckoff:

red19fire has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

red19fire posted:

FREEMAN ON THE LAND
Finally. I'm surprised it took him this long to bust out that argument.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

ansel autisms posted:

Second day of oral arguments are about to begin, enjoy some fresh Bundyisms:

https://www.scribd.com/document/323980240/09-13-2016-ECF-1264-USA-v-A-Bundy-et-al-Motion-to-Quash-Jury-Pool-by-Ryan-Bundy

Shoutout to the Magna Charta.
Ok, so I guess that means he gets his pro se status revoked, since he brought up jurisdiction again, right?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Wait can you really bring up jurisdiction at any point like it says in those papers?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No. He's been told several times that the court has jurisdiction and he needs to stop yammering about it.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Wait can you really bring up jurisdiction at any point like it says in those papers?

No, the jurisdictional matters have already been ruled upon (unsurprisingly, the feds have jurisdiction) and the judge filed an order prohibiting Bundy to contest it again since even if the feds didn't have jurisdiction the deadline to bring up that argument had already passed.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dammit I wish scribd wasn't the de facto standard for posting legal docs, since they charge for iPad users :/

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

I'm pretty sure he knows that he isn't allowed to bring up jurisdiction again, which is why the motion is titled "motion to quash jury pool" even though he talks about jurisdiction for 17 out of 20 pages. As far as I can tell his argument for the titular quash is that the jury pool wasn't drawn from just a single division of the district, but from the entire district; as authority he cites a citation in another case:

United States v. Herbert, 698 F.2d 981, 984 (1983) posted:

A petit jury may be drawn constitutionally from only one division and not the whole district.
Ruthenberg v. United States, 245 U.S. 480, 38 S.Ct. 168, 62 L.Ed. 414 (1918); United States v. Cates, 485 F.2d 26, 29 (1st Cir.1974). United States v. Herbert, 698 F.2d 981, 984 (1983)
but (and I'm not a lawyer)... as far as I can tell Ruthenberg v. US held that a jury may be drawn from one division, it doesn't say it must be drawn from only one division instead of from the whole district. i.e. it is not an error to only pick from one division.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Bonfire Lit posted:

I'm pretty sure he knows that he isn't allowed to bring up jurisdiction again, which is why the motion is titled "motion to quash jury pool" even though he talks about jurisdiction for 17 out of 20 pages. As far as I can tell his argument for the titular quash is that the jury pool wasn't drawn from just a single division of the district, but from the entire district; as authority he cites a citation in another case:

but (and I'm not a lawyer)... as far as I can tell Ruthenberg v. US held that a jury may be drawn from one division, it doesn't say it must be drawn from only one division instead of from the whole district. i.e. it is not an error to only pick from one division.

To be what he wants, he'd want wording like

A petit jury may ONLY be drawn constitutionally from only one division and not the whole district.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gounads posted:

To be what he wants, he'd want wording like

A petit jury may ONLY be drawn constitutionally from only one division and not the whole district.

i think youll see that because of USC code 85.15.23 the law can mean anything i drat well want it to mean so you better step back son sic semper tyrranis molon labe dont tread on me

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The only thing that could possibly make this trial better is if P. Barnes were one of the bailiffs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lawl he plagiarized all of the discussion of the manga carta you can find the sites he cut and pasted from online, mostly https://www.bl.uk/magna-carta/articles/magna-carta-and-jury-trial

evilweasel has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Sep 14, 2016

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Azathoth posted:

The only thing that could possibly make this trial better is if P. Barnes were one of the bailiffs.

Alternate: Richard Moll

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Let's give him some credit, that's probably the most truthful statement that the defense will make during the trial.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I met Sean & Sandy Anderson today.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

evilweasel posted:

lawl he plagiarized all of the discussion of the manga carta you can find the sites he cut and pasted from online, mostly https://www.bl.uk/magna-carta/articles/magna-carta-and-jury-trial

yesss come see me after class, Mr. Bundy

ansel autisms posted:

I met Sean & Sandy Anderson today.

Gotta get some Patriot Selfies.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ahahahaha one of the occupiers has flipped and will be testifying for the prosecution

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

evilweasel posted:

ahahahaha one of the occupiers has flipped and will be testifying for the prosecution

Source? Which one?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/karinapdx/status/776189888337096705

:thurman:

I hope this is real.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Source? Which one?

https://twitter.com/hecktow/status/775855516429934592

Who knows where his source is, but he's been in the courtroom so I'm guessing it's correct

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/06/oregon_standoff_defendant_jaso.html

Feds recommended a low sentence, sentencing to be held after the trial ends. Hmmm.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ansel autisms posted:

Feds recommended a low sentence, sentencing to be held after the trial ends. Hmmm.

That part's entirely conventional. Sorry for not keeping up, I've spent the day in an Oz fugue.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We missed you, my mind has turned to mush from data wrangling and no new Bundy podcasts.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There's a new 12 minute podcast out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:stare:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I'm having a hard time squaring this insanity with the fact that I drive by protesters outside the court house on my way home every day. At least so far this week.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I'm having a hard time squaring this insanity with the fact that I drive by protesters outside the court house on my way home every day. At least so far this week.

All 10 of them? I've been going every day to try to see anything wild. So far it's just been a tiny group doing "marches" around the courthouse and getting honked at by BMWs when they block the road. I also met a horse enthusiast who was there just to hang out around the horse they dragged in.

https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/776208461121990657

https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/776208626901852160

Anyone have a guess? Someone who waived their right to a speedy trial?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ansel autisms posted:

All 10 of them? I've been going every day to try to see anything wild. So far it's just been a tiny group doing "marches" around the courthouse and getting honked at by BMWs when they block the road. I also met a horse enthusiast who was there just to hang out around the horse they dragged in.

https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/776208461121990657

https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/776208626901852160

Anyone have a guess? Someone who waived their right to a speedy trial?

Maybe it was Lavoy.....where was this "sherriff" during the shootout where Lavoy died for our sins??

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Do they bother prosecuting dead people? I always thought that the legal system just kinda stopped once someone died unless there were Important Unresolved Details or something

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i imagine you would run into some issues trying to prove that they were competent to stand trial and participate in their own defense

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

XMNN posted:

i imagine you would run into some issues trying to prove that they were competent to stand trial and participate in their own defense

Didn't stop Pope Stephen from judging Pope Formosus in the Cadaver Synod.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SubponticatePoster posted:

Let's give him some credit, that's probably the most truthful statement that the defense will make during the trial.

And by far the most coherent.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yes. Or rather, yes and with very few exceptions. If a court doesn't have jurisdiction over the person or the subject matter then it has no authority to render any decision and that can be raised at any time; even on appeal. I don't even think its something that can be waived by a party.

edit: nevermind, i didn't read the whole discussion before jumping in. in the context of Bundy, he's raised it and it has been ruled on and the court is well within its rights to sanction him if he keeps bringing it up. in the context of, can he raise it again on appeal; absolutely and at every stage of the appeal.

radical meme has issued a correction as of 13:32 on Sep 15, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

radical meme posted:

edit: nevermind, i didn't read the whole discussion before jumping in. in the context of Bundy, he's raised it and it has been ruled on and the court is well within its rights to sanction him if he keeps bringing it up. in the context of, can he raise it again on appeal; absolutely and at every stage of the appeal.

Judge Brown has warned him that if he keeps bringing stuff up that she ruled on already she's going to take away his right to represent himself. To my naive understanding it seems like she's in a hard situation. She has to weigh how much bullshit she's going to allow him to do in the proceedings, versus bringing the hammer down and further delegitimizing herself in the eyes of the mulletia (pun lol). Obviously they don't think highly of any government entity, but even the perceived slight of not letting him poo poo up the courtroom could be dangerous.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Did they rule on whether or not he's allowed to wear his cowboy dress-up outfit yet?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Judge Brown has warned him that if he keeps bringing stuff up that she ruled on already she's going to take away his right to represent himself. To my naive understanding it seems like she's in a hard situation. She has to weigh how much bullshit she's going to allow him to do in the proceedings, versus bringing the hammer down and further delegitimizing herself in the eyes of the mulletia (pun lol). Obviously they don't think highly of any government entity, but even the perceived slight of not letting him poo poo up the courtroom could be dangerous.

She's not worried about public opion, she's worried about a conviction being overturned if she takes away his right to self-represent and having to do the whole thing over again.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sweevo posted:

Did they rule on whether or not he's allowed to wear his cowboy dress-up outfit yet?

Yes, "No."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

nm posted:

She's not worried about public opion, she's worried about a conviction being overturned if she takes away his right to self-represent and having to do the whole thing over again.

So is that his stratety? Just be such an incoherent obstruction that the court gives up on trying to argue with him so he can appeal?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Geostomp posted:

So is that his stratety? Just be such an incoherent obstruction that the court gives up on trying to argue with him so he can appeal?

The sovcit strategy is largely built upon bogging down the courts with such nonsense that things either take forever to get resolved or dropped out of convenience.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think his strategy is 'if I keep trying, eventually I'll cast this drat spell right.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Do they bother prosecuting dead people? I always thought that the legal system just kinda stopped once someone died unless there were Important Unresolved Details or something

I believe you cannot prosecute a dead person which means, for example, Kenneth Lay who died during the appeal of his conviction is in the eyes of the law innocent and that can't ever be changed.