Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There's also the bit where if you set it to invert it switches both axes because someone at Ubi is a slaphead. Made the game unplayable for me.
This was fixed in the recentish HD version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

LionArcher posted:

Rouge squadron and the bond games (everything or nothing) and beyond good and evil from that era please.

I'd kill :black101: for a rogue squadron trilogy pack

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

LionArcher posted:

I remember everything or nothing being really fun. This may have been me being like 15 though. Unsure about that.

Nightfire was DOPE at the time, felt like a good follow up to goldeneye. Mutliplayer was sweet (snowy church/cottage map) and you could use odd jobs hat to 1 shot kill :black101:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

greatn posted:

There is a new animal crossing game coming out by next March in fact.

Are you talking about the mobile one? Cause lol if you think that's going to be a real game and not a lazy cop-out.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bef posted:

Nightfire was DOPE at the time, felt like a good follow up to goldeneye. Mutliplayer was sweet (snowy church/cottage map) and you could use odd jobs hat to 1 shot kill :black101:

Hell yeah, getting on top of the cable car cables in that level ruled. Also the remote control helicopter!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

bef posted:

Playing with grappling hooks and having every fight be like Spider-Man with a P90 ruled. So did shooting the sky with a sniper rifle and putting bullet holes in the skybox.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SRM posted:

Playing with grappling hooks and having every fight be like Spider-Man with a P90 ruled. So did shooting the sky with a sniper rifle and putting bullet holes in the skybox.

You can scratch that itch with Titanfall 2, incidentally.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Pyswagoras posted:

Why is nobody mentioning Cubivore?

Ah yes, the original Nak meme

e: anything nintendo wants to sell as an hd upres like WWHD will not come out on the virtual console and vice-versa
Any port of Melee will be disappointing because it either wont be authentic and have soft pillowy triggers or It wont have any kind of online functionality

And you and your friend will be playing with the worst control scheme (wiimote turned on its side)

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 8, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You and your friend(s) will enjoy playing Melee using the WiiU GCN adaptor, now fully supported in every Switch game.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

~Coxy posted:

You and your friend(s) will enjoy playing Melee using the WiiU GCN adaptor, now fully supported in every Switch game.

an adapter well known for having a usb type a connector and not type c

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The dock has type A ports on it for peripherals. It's the charging/video port on the tablet itself that will be type C.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

The dock has type A ports on it for peripherals. It's the charging/video port on the tablet itself that will be type C.

There are more stages we can go through like discussing the fact that zero other Wii U software uses the dead adapter, or you can just be a good boy like me and put the useless hunk of plastic into a shoebox in a dark corner under your bedframe for long term storage

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Eurogamer also says N.E.R.D. (the dev team behind NES Classic emulation and Wii Classics on Wii U) is doing VC for Switch and that the upgrade fee to port your VC titles will continue through to Switch. Which means paying a buck per game or whatever, AGAIN, to get access to the VC games you already bought on Wii U and on original Wii

on the one hand at least this time it's not totally a crock because they will be redoing the emulation from scratch, but to the consumer it's not going to matter, it's still going to be seen as nickel and diming

I hope that if they are bringing Wii Classics to Switch that THIS time they work out some way to remap Wiimote controls to buttons on the Switch gamepad since it won't be booting into Wii Mode off of a chip or w/e. I have Wiimotes of course but playing old Wii games in bed is kind of cumbersome if you have to put it on a nightstand and swing a remote around instead of just holding the gamepad and pressin the buttons

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quest For Glory II posted:

Eurogamer also says N.E.R.D. (the dev team behind NES Classic emulation and Wii Classics on Wii U) is doing VC for Switch and that the upgrade fee to port your VC titles will continue through to Switch. Which means paying a buck per game or whatever, AGAIN, to get access to the VC games you already bought on Wii U and on original Wii

on the one hand at least this time it's not totally a crock because they will be redoing the emulation from scratch, but to the consumer it's not going to matter, it's still going to be seen as nickel and diming

You could just keep your Wii U or Wii.

poo poo, wait till you find out that there's no way to make your physical Wii and Wii U games work on the Switch, you're gonna lose your poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I intend on it yeah. I generally don't sell my consoles. It becomes more about software availability at this point as physical games will start getting harder to find soon, which is why digital preservation is important.

(I still wish The Last Story would be a Wii Classic :( )

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The most bizarre thing about today's leaks is that OG Animal Crossing is looking to be one of the potential GCN Virtual Console games and it potentially ...will have all the Famicom/NES games included. This was an actual note in the report.

That doesn't include the ones that are unable to be unlocked in the game by design of course. SMB, Zelda, Ice Climbers and Mario Bros. are hard-coded to not be potential items you could get from the password system. You could do some really messed up stuff with that system included loving up the game itself but you couldn't get those four games that way.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

zolthorg posted:

There are more stages we can go through like discussing the fact that zero other Wii U software uses the dead adapter, or you can just be a good boy like me and put the useless hunk of plastic into a shoebox in a dark corner under your bedframe for long term storage

I don't think the Gamecube adapter will be widely used in Switch games. But the dock visibly has two USB type A ports on it, and it seems the system will have Gamecube VC games, so it makes sense that you would be able to use those features in tandem. I don't think I'm that far out on a limb here.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quest For Glory II posted:

I intend on it yeah. I generally don't sell my consoles. It becomes more about software availability at this point as physical games will start getting harder to find soon, which is why digital preservation is important.

(I still wish The Last Story would be a Wii Classic :( )

If your issue is digital preservation, isn't Nintendo re-emulating these old games for every system a good thing, then? Because it means you have not just the original version, but the Wii version, the Wii U version, the 3DS version, and so on. So there's more chance one of them will work on our crazy future computers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

If your issue is digital preservation, isn't Nintendo re-emulating these old games for every system a good thing, then? Because it means you have not just the original version, but the Wii version, the Wii U version, the 3DS version, and so on. So there's more chance one of them will work on our crazy future computers.
I think it is a good thing, yeah. I complain about the upgrade fees but I still think preserving the games is important. Although I will say that one of the issues with Wii U is that they started over from scratch and it took them forever just to catch up to the original Wii's VC library, let alone adding titles that were not available on Wii VC. I'm worried the same thing will play out again. THE TRICKLE

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The dark secret of Smash Bros is that Melee isn't the best, it's just that Smash becomes increasingly less fun the further you are from high school/college.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Wii U VC also left behind some really great third-party games/platforms. The Genesis VC never got the upgrade treatment, and stuff like Square's SNES RPGs were never brought forward for whatever reason. That was disappointing.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah just to add an opinion re: VC: I think some people assume that everyone already owns every worthwhile GC/N64/SNES/whatever game, which isn't true. The point of VC is also to sell games like Earthbound to kids who wouldn't have any other way of playing them, which is cool

Although yeah it sucks having to pay a fee to play the same game on different systems. It would be nice if from now on Nintendo would tie these purchases to an account, but, lmao, they won't do that.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

bef posted:

Right?! What are the chances that happens though ? :ohdear:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

youcallthatatwist posted:

Although yeah it sucks having to pay a fee to play the same game on different systems. It would be nice if from now on Nintendo would tie these purchases to an account, but, lmao, they won't do that.

That's because work and thus money has to go into getting them working on different systems. You can either keep the old system around to play the game you already bought or pay for the work done to get them working on the new thing.

In terms of making a system fully backwards compatible you were still paying for that as well, up-front rather than on a per-game basis. To me, I prefer to be able to pay it on a per-game basis. I'm sure their 3rd parties also appreciate that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
IF you're worried about digital preservation in a historical sense then you're really worrying up the wrong tree since, with a few exceptions they seem to save pretty much everything they could/can down to design documents and prototypes.

Now if it's a matter of them not sharing all that history to public and hoarding a bunch of it in a vault in Kyoto then that's another thing.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

bef posted:

I'd kill for the first two, and I'd kill anyone who decided the third one should be included.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

dublish posted:

I'd kill for the first two, and I'd kill anyone who decided the third one should be included.

never played the third, whats wrong with it? i really wanted to try Coop on dolphin but with netplay its too laggy and desyncs :sigh:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

zolthorg posted:

counterpoint: it would be pretty cool if you could use your gamecube controller to play the gamecube games

also its being considered to get the Wii u controller adapter to work w/ the switch

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't understand why everyone is so excited about poets of games they already have. I guess I bought Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, but I rarely do it in general. Especially if the game came out last gen

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Viewtiful Jew posted:

That doesn't include the ones that are unable to be unlocked in the game by design of course. SMB, Zelda, Ice Climbers and Mario Bros. are hard-coded to not be potential items you could get from the password system. You could do some really messed up stuff with that system included loving up the game itself but you couldn't get those four games that way.

What does this mean? Those games are in Animal Crossing but there's no way to play them?

Also, if I can pay a dollar per game of the few games I have on VC, I'll do it, whatever. if that covers their costs for upgrading it, cool. But really, they need to start thinking about them as being a license to play the game and tying that license to your account. One of the only good things about the Xbone is that I can play 360 games I already have that have backwards compatibility.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LionArcher posted:

Right?! What are the chances that happens though ? :ohdear:

The first one got a PC update treatment and can be had on Steam for :10bux:, so maybe?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

zolthorg posted:

I just got the green light to share this bit of trivia, but when we released the GameCube Adapter for Wii U in the autumn of 2014 it wasn't planned exclusively for use with Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. It's very exciting, but with the release of the GameCube Virtual Console gamers can finally immerse themselves in a deep and rich catalog of titles, played as they were meant to be played.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i hope they emulate eternal darkness so its fans can finally realize that it plays like dog poo poo

also TTYD cause its very good and funny

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

All this talk of Thousand Year Door is driving me crazy because I have it right beside me, and want to revisit it, but the only thing stopping me is that my Gamecube memory cards are either at my parents' house (which I can check at Christmas), or packed away... somewhere.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

All this talk of Thousand Year Door is driving me crazy because I have it right beside me, and want to revisit it, but the only thing stopping me is that my Gamecube memory cards are either at my parents' house (which I can check at Christmas), or packed away... somewhere.

just marathon it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i never got to play skys of arcadia so i am looking forward to that maybe.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

The dark secret of Smash Bros is that Melee isn't the best, it's just that Smash becomes increasingly less fun the further you are from high school/college.

This sounds to me like you need funner friends.

Also, I can't imagine wanting to play melee again as more than a momentary lark. Sm4sh has a great engine, just build on that with small tweaks and more content, please.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Cojawfee posted:

What does this mean? Those games are in Animal Crossing but there's no way to play them?

Yes, those specific four NES were in the game but there was no way to play them aside from using Action Replay to force the game to put them in your inventory or outside your house.

It's because they were supposed to only be available to get via e-reader cards. The e-reader didn't catch on as much as, say amiibo did and as such the cards that would let you unlock Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda were never manufactured and released. Only the Ice Climber and Mario Bros. cards ever came out.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phimosissy posted:

This sounds to me like you need funner friends.

Also, I can't imagine wanting to play melee again as more than a momentary lark. Sm4sh has a great engine, just build on that with small tweaks and more content, please.

because it plays differently, as some people prefer it in gameplay rather than 4 :shrug: also its had constant tourney support for god knows how long. If its an actual Port than i doubt were gonna see any real changes to content which would s u ck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bef posted:

because it plays differently, as some people prefer it in gameplay rather than 4 :shrug: also its had constant tourney support for god knows how long. If its an actual Port than i doubt were gonna see any real changes to content which would s u ck

I get that preferences exist, I just don't get that one.

I can't imagine they're going to put any effort into changes, and I find it really odd if not outright dumb to release two separate smash remakes/ports for the same system like that.

• Locked thread