Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like Giant Wizard as a creature type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

But Mairsil and Ith weren't allies anyway

Mairsil put Ith in the cage.

If flavor is so dominant a force that it directs the gameplay and not the other way around, like Tarkir having no dragons below 5 mana, I should be allowed to put Ith in the cage with Mairsil, dammit!

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Mairsil eating an Aetherling and a Gilded Lotus is infinite mana yeah? Then exile Staff of Domination and go nuts.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Maybe I'm stupid, but how is that infinite mana?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Frozen_flame posted:

Mairsil eating an Aetherling and a Gilded Lotus is infinite mana yeah? Then exile Staff of Domination and go nuts.

His abilities are only once per turn.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

odiv posted:

Maybe I'm stupid, but how is that infinite mana?

Tap for UUU, pay U to blink, repeat

You're not stupid though, since a) no haste and b) comes back at the end of turn, not immediately.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Lord of Hats posted:

His abilities are only once per turn.

if you flicker him he's a "new" creature

the problem is aetherling doesn't actually flicker, it removes it for the rest of the turn so you can't repeat

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Frozen_flame posted:

The last clause reads, "You may activate each of those abilities only once each turn."

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, good, I thought maybe Frozen_flame meant another card or something because I could think of at least 3 reasons why that wouldn't work.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

The last clause reads, "You may activate each of those abilities only once each turn."

They're going to have to deliver a ruling on that, since it's not clear if you can use them again after blinking him, or if the "once per turn" is applied to the exiled cards

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can absolutely use his abilities again after blinking him, this works the same way as other restrictions like that do.

Hell, there was just a standard deck that got banned which used that exact interaction!

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Oh right I am an idiot. Ignore all that, then!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/maro254/status/895694228835016704

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aranan posted:

Mairsil is like a hamstrung Necrotic Ooze but it can also hit artifacts. There will probably be something busted you can do with him, but it makes me a little sad when WotC puts those kind of restrictions on cards these days. At least they moved away from the verbose and restrictive "When X enters the battlefield, if you cast X from your hand..." jargon.

It's not really hamstrung, it takes longer to get going than the ooze but it's a lot harder to stop once it starts.

E: does it work with Chandra or Jace?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 10, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

There is no way to break this outside of EDH but man I'm glad they printed this

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I love all of the Magus cards, and this is no exception. I especially like how you've got wizards out there whose big spell is just one of these iconic effects--it helps to sell the players/planeswalkers as being really uniquely powerful.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What an awesome card. I'm so glad maguses exist, the flavor is great and it's good to be able to have redundancy on the same types of effects but from different means.

Plus being able to frontload the cost makes it strong in some situations where M.D wouldn't, if you can protect it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/blakepr/status/895699981302091776

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This spell Magus cycle that they've been doing in the last few Commander releases is pretty neat.

Can't wait for Magus of the Eureka in C18 :v:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Serperoth posted:

They're going to have to deliver a ruling on that, since it's not clear if you can use them again after blinking him, or if the "once per turn" is applied to the exiled cards

The Shortest Path posted:

You can absolutely use his abilities again after blinking him, this works the same way as other restrictions like that do.

Hell, there was just a standard deck that got banned which used that exact interaction!

I misread the card and forgot about the cage counters. Normally a card like this would stop working the way you want it to after flickering it, but not Marsail! Seems like a pretty sweet machine to me.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/kesswylie/status/895703070704713728

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

If this had flash would it be legacy playable?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is Blue/Black an okay mixture for a beginner? I'm ordering my cards from the Deck Builder's Toolkit and I'm planning to look up deck building 101 on YouTube. The pamphlet with the kit recommended using two different colours saying more could spread your mana pool too thin and a single colour has much more clear cut weaknesses. Based on the pamphlet's descriptions of the colours Blue/Black sounds like it's a great way to make an opponent's life miserable while you whittle them down. I'm a little worried I'm totally incorrect or that to use this colour combination might require more experience and understanding of the finer points of the game.

I bought the Steam game and have been playing against the computer to get used to the basics and it's lots of fun!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anybody build this new Vengevine deck? Any good?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Anybody build this new Vengevine deck? Any good?

Doesn't feel super consistent atm.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

EmmyOk posted:

Is Blue/Black an okay mixture for a beginner? I'm ordering my cards from the Deck Builder's Toolkit and I'm planning to look up deck building 101 on YouTube. The pamphlet with the kit recommended using two different colours saying more could spread your mana pool too thin and a single colour has much more clear cut weaknesses. Based on the pamphlet's descriptions of the colours Blue/Black sounds like it's a great way to make an opponent's life miserable while you whittle them down. I'm a little worried I'm totally incorrect or that to use this colour combination might require more experience and understanding of the finer points of the game.

I bought the Steam game and have been playing against the computer to get used to the basics and it's lots of fun!

The /general/ thought is that control strategies are harder than aggressive strategies, which is where blue/black usually leans, and I'll add that the cards are harder to evaluate in a controlling context.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Blue is probably the most complicated color to play. I think Red and Green are probably the easiest to start with. It really depends on if you have a lot of experience with these kinds of games though. You could pick it up pretty quickly.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
This is probably really bad but I like the design

https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895712418059485184

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Snappy every turn, not bad.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Tainen posted:

nerf etb

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheDemon posted:

The /general/ thought is that control strategies are harder than aggressive strategies, which is where blue/black usually leans, and I'll add that the cards are harder to evaluate in a controlling context.

Tainen posted:

Blue is probably the most complicated color to play. I think Red and Green are probably the easiest to start with. It really depends on if you have a lot of experience with these kinds of games though. You could pick it up pretty quickly.

Cool thanks for the information guys! I don't have experience with this kind of game at all so I'll focus on building a Red/Green deck and get used to playing the game with it!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Minds Desire magus, to go with wheel and will magi for broken sorceries I guess

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tainen posted:

I mean it's clearly an edh card, but it does combo with indestructible in funny ways at least?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

EmmyOk posted:

Cool thanks for the information guys! I don't have experience with this kind of game at all so I'll focus on building a Red/Green deck and get used to playing the game with it!

You've received some terrible advice.

Just play what you find interesting. As a new player you're going to lose a lot anyway so just do what you want and learn from your mistakes.

The best part of playing blue black is saying no and throwing what ever the other person is doing in the garbage so it's a lot like posting in this thread, it's great.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/184-commander-2017 says we have all the new cards in Commander 2017, so the only thing left to spoil are the reprints.

Still disappointed the Cats are so drat weak compared to the other tribes, but at least it stops me from actually having the urge to play Commander regularly after I build this novelty deck.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

You should play blue if you like it just know it will have a greater learning curve. It requires that you have a good knowledge of all the threats your opponent has and when you should correctly use your counters. Red is all about Argo and attacking with creatures and direct damage spells. Green is about ramping into large creatures. I have only been playing for 4 months or so and this thread is a great resource so feel free to ask any questions.

If you can find a LGS near you that drafts I would recommend getting into those. It lets you build your card collection while actually learning and playing the game. It can seem intimidating at first but if you let the people you play with know you are new they will be very helpful at least in my experience.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tainen posted:

I could see this in some kind of RW thing with tokens and aura bouncing/moving stuff maybe?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tainen posted:

If you have only Emrakul, The Aeons Torn for creatures in your library, this can't not hit Emrakul. But since Emmy shuffles herself back in as a triggered ability, it can't attach itself to her again.

So you also play Kozilek, Butcher of Truth! With at least two it'll just cycle between them each turn.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tainen posted:

It says "destroy" instead of "sacrifice", and there's no "if you do" clause, so it works really well with indestructible/regenerating creatures.

I mean, you're better off with token-generating spells and ridiculously huge creatures, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If you have only Emrakul, The Aeons Torn for creatures in your library, this can't not hit Emrakul. But since Emmy shuffles herself back in as a triggered ability, it can't attach itself to her again.

So you also play Kozilek, Butcher of Truth! With at least two it'll just cycle between them each turn.

Or just have two Emrakul in the deck?

E: doesn't that give you infinite turns, even?

E: Emrakul is cast I'm dumb

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 10, 2017