Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Uroboros posted:

While I am upset about the AM changes, it is still worth mentioning that most of the top spots are going to mixed Chaos armies, and I don't know if any of these AM changes will change that.

What's got you so upset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

What's got you so upset?

Yeah, I'm a little surprised to hear how down people are on the codex myself. It seems strong but aside from maybe the Shadowsword I don't feel like it's really that unreasonable compared to the other armies that have codexes.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Pendent posted:

Yeah, I'm a little surprised to hear how down people are on the codex myself. It seems strong but aside from maybe the Shadowsword I don't feel like it's really that unreasonable compared to the other armies that have codexes.

I think the weirdness might come from Marines having the weakest dex for the first time in a long time.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

I kinda get it. The stuff which makes IG strong is pretty unfun to play against - it's not exactly a game of sweeping manoeuvre, especially since they combine the castle in one corner with cheap deep strikers which force you to kind of play the same game to defend against them.

Plenty of the complaining is just the standard 40k nerd whining though - like six weeks ago it was exactly the same about how SPESS MAHRENS were OP now because they had a codex and no-one else did, and codex creep was starting, blah blah and now SM is supposedly the balanced book which shows how broken Guard are.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

I think the weirdness might come from Marines having the weakest dex for the first time in a long time.
That's partly because Primaris suck and are boring.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

That's partly because Primaris suck and are boring.

It's really funny to me that there was a huge fuss about Primaris and how they were going to totally replace normal Marines, and then they turned into a gimmick fluff army which nobody uses seriously because they're actually the weakest part of the book.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Groetgaffel posted:

Whatever happened to the Stormsword? The Plasma version of the Shadowsword. It's not an option in the plastic kit that builds every other version, and the FW version is gone too.

This except the stormsword, which is now way worse than it used to be and without a niche

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Corrode posted:

Plenty of the complaining is just the standard 40k nerd whining though - like six weeks ago it was exactly the same about how SPESS MAHRENS were OP now because they had a codex and no-one else did, and codex creep was starting, blah blah and now SM is supposedly the balanced book which shows how broken Guard are.

I can't wait until the Tyranid codex comes out and totally bucks the trend by being terrible

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I don't mind the Guard being strong, but I also don't see a fun way to play, say, my old Kult of Speed style mechanized Ork list against that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

It's really funny to me that there was a huge fuss about Primaris and how they were going to totally replace normal Marines, and then they turned into a gimmick fluff army which nobody uses seriously because they're actually the weakest part of the book.

Quoting this so we can write it on your tombstone

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Its not really a solvable problem - if "sit back and blast with tanks" is a viable plan at all, people who hate that will complain about NPEs and leaf blowers. If it is unviable, people who enjoy tank companies will be upset. I'll agree its a problem when it starts winning every tournament like smite spam or character spam or pre-nerf stormraven spam. Ideally, tank companies will be a thing that can win games but has counters and ways to beat it.

40k is a game meant to support multiple playstyles, and the guys who want to play a Battle Company and drive tac squads around in rhinos get mad when people win using other tactics than that.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

quote:

Now, Yarrick once more leads armoured assaults against the greenksin hordes from the cupola of the Fortress of Arrogance.

Holy poo poo, my dudes, we have our very own Yarrick!!!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Corrode posted:

... but they win in terms of femur length and radness!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

dexefiend posted:

... but they win in terms of femur length and radness!

I still love them for being particularly good at jumping into enemy ranged squads and punching them in the throats.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Like hands down the most fun thing ive done in 8th was have a squad of intercessors dive over cover at a bunch of fire warriors and terminally wedgie them.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BULBASAUR posted:

You're all gonna die before me fuckers

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

Sure but just a head's up that we'll be replacing your standard tombstone with D6 smaller ones

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I guess we finally know who the resident serial killer is.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Not if I get you first

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

The Sex Cannon posted:

What's got you so upset?

They didn't need buffs, basically. I can think of a few units like Russes that needed buffs, but even then double firing, points reduction, and removal of movement penalties might of been to far.

Artillery? Almost all undercosted, and needed a minimum range placed on their weapons.

All super-heavy weaknesses basically removed. No movement penalty, can't be tied up in combat, and almost all received a 50-100% increased in shooting capacity. Couple this with some actually really good stratagems and regimental doctrines that allow them to overwatch at normal BS.

I feel the Regimental Doctrines and Stratagems were appropriate, but when you coupled that with making basically zero nerfs to an army that is the strongest stand alone force in the game, things start to get frustrating.

This is also kind of coupled with just how non-competitive the entire Primaris release has been. Overcosted, unflexible units, that don't have a single stratagem dedicated to them in the Marine codex is pretty annoying.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Corrode posted:

It's entirely possible that GW wants the Primaris to be totally awesome dudes who will replace the regular marines in everything AND for them to be bad at writing rules to actually accomplish that at the same time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JoshTheStampede posted:

They definitely will. Assuming Renegades don't get either an updated and good Doctrine but do get the good Russ rules (but not orders), the malefic lord spam will go away and the Imperial Soup armies will morph into an AM Brigade with a Imperium Supreme Command of Gulliman, Celestine, and a couple of Primaris Psykers.

poo poo like this is why I hate tournaments.

Corrode posted:

I think the fuss was about how the models would replace regular Marines long term. I don't think anyone looked at the rules and thought that five dudes with half the firepower and none of the flexibility of a tactical squad would be a winning choice. Unfortunately they're completely hamstrung by a lack of options, particularly GW's decision to not permit any option or configuration that they do not explicitly sell. Want a Power First for your Captain? Well then you will have to take a plasma pistol. Think it might be a good idea to give your Lieutenants a bolt rifle? Too bad, they either get the assault version or lose everything so they can carry a power sword.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Russes only get the removal of firing penalties for Heavy weapons if they're turret mounted for most regiments. Tallarn obviously gives no fucks. They also do have to move in order to get Grinding Advance, you don't get it while parked. Granted, "shimmy to the left an inch this turn, to the right next turn" is going to happen, but you can totally slap that technicality on a Guard player you're not having fun playing against and watch the fireworks. :v:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think the fuss was about how the models would replace regular Marines long term. I don't think anyone looked at the rules and thought that five dudes with half the firepower and none of the flexibility of a tactical squad would be a winning choice. Unfortunately they're completely hamstrung by a lack of options, particularly GW's decision to not permit any option or configuration that they do not explicitly sell. Want a Power First for your Captain? Well then you will have to take a plasma pistol. Think it might be a good idea to give your Lieutenants a bolt rifle? Too bad, they either get the assault version or lose everything so they can carry a power sword.

The dumbest thing is still the regular primaris captain not being allowed a master crafted power sword, even though multi damage melee is pretty much required for characters being any good in melee now.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Strobe posted:

Russes only get the removal of firing penalties for Heavy weapons if they're turret mounted for most regiments. Tallarn obviously gives no fucks. They also do have to move in order to get Grinding Advance, you don't get it while parked. Granted, "shimmy to the left an inch this turn, to the right next turn" is going to happen, but you can totally slap that technicality on a Guard player you're not having fun playing against and watch the fireworks. :v:

that is indeed how it reads RAW but I'm curious to see if that was their intent because it affects Cadian Russes significantly

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phyresis posted:

that is indeed how it reads RAW but I'm curious to see if that was their intent because it affects Cadian Russes significantly

How is that RAW? "If it moves a distance in inches less than half it's Move characteristic". 0 inches is less than half.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Lets now forget the psychic powers, which are mixed as usual, but there are some good ones in there. +1 to armor save to an entire unit, or the -1 to hit on a unit. Contrast that first one with the Marine one that gives +1 T/S/A to a single model. Oh boy!

JoshTheStampede posted:

How is that RAW? "If it moves a distance in inches less than half it's Move characteristic". 0 inches is less than half.

This is clearly the correct way to read it, only a moron would argue otherwise.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

JoshTheStampede posted:

"If this model moves under half speed in its Movement phase"

let's take out the modifier

"If this model moves in its Movement phase"

it's not the best wording, i'm pretty sure this will be a FAQ

Uroboros posted:

Lets now forget the psychic powers, which are mixed as usual, but there are some good ones in there. +1 to armor save to an entire unit, or the -1 to hit on a unit. Contrast that first one with the Marine one that gives +1 T/S/A to a single model. Oh boy!

the psychic powers are really really good and they have 15 point psykers (with a nice bonus passive debuff)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phyresis posted:

"If this model moves under half speed in its Movement phase"

let's take out the modifier

"If this model moves in its Movement phase"

it's not the best wording, i'm pretty sure this will be a FAQ

Yes, funnily enough, if you take out the important modifier it no longer works!

Did the model move less than half its speed? Yes, it moved 0 inches, which is less than half its speed.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

What do you mean it no longer works? This is a grammatical issue, I agree that your interpretation is the common sense one and almost assuredly correct but it is written poorly. Jesus Christ

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

For those wondering where X or Y Forgeworld models have gone, the moulds don't last more than a year or so before they break and need to be retooled. Once that's done they'll be back on the store.

The Arvus Lighter recently made it back along with the Death Korps Quartermaster.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Endman posted:

For those wondering where X or Y Forgeworld models have gone, the moulds don't last more than a year or so before they break and need to be retooled. Once that's done they'll be back on the store.

Unless it's the repressor... it's been out for a long time. Pretty sure the vast majority of repressors on ebay come from russia.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is really bugging me in building out my biglies. I keep flip flopping on what to paint them as, because as much as I think Salamanders are neat, the only bigly infantry that even has a flamer option is the Aggressors, and nothing has meltas.

My local flgs is big on wysiwyg for events, so I'm probablt going to end up painting them for a custom chapter so I'm not locked into rules that may never be useful.

It is a serious design issue if several of your iconic armies get new rules that flatly don't work with your new line of models for them. Hell, Dark Angels and Space Wolves bigly LTs break the whole pattern by not being allowed power swords per Codex SM, so you have to kit bash up chainswords for them to even field biglies.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Phyresis posted:

What do you mean it no longer works? This is a grammatical issue, I agree that your interpretation is the common sense one and almost assuredly correct but it is written poorly. Jesus Christ

No it isn't. Deleting half the rule to completely change the meaning doesn't make the original rule poorly written.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Giant Isopod posted:

Unless it's the repressor... it's been out for a long time. Pretty sure the vast majority of repressors on ebay come from russia.

Oh yeah, we're probably never going to see that thing again.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unfortunately they're completely hamstrung by a lack of options, particularly GW's decision to not permit any option or configuration that they do not explicitly sell. Want a Power First for your Captain? Well then you will have to take a plasma pistol. Think it might be a good idea to give your Lieutenants a bolt rifle? Too bad, they either get the assault version or lose everything so they can carry a power sword.

I have a feeling that this is intentional, and a way to minimize the disparity that having PL creates. Think to how well 30k is balanced, and it’s because of those same limited options, albeit to a different degree.

Anyone thinking GW is going to ever release another non-primaris sized marine is going to be disappointed, and I fully expect to see primaris bikers as soon as my White Scars are done.

I’m more ticked on the new posing. While the new multipart kits look great, I’m seeing a lot of torso+single leg combos. As a goon who loves converting everything, I don’t really like the move away from swivel-hips.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

OhDearGodNo posted:

Anyone thinking GW is going to ever release another non-primaris sized marine is going to be disappointed,

This is true but not really for teh reason everyone says it is. There were basically no holes in the Space Marine range by the end of 7th. They ran out of marines to sell, so they were looking at a future with no new marine kits anyway. They either had to start rehashing kits that were perfectly good already, or make new ones.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Almost done painting Sigmar stuff, trying to decide what spacemans to purchase and throw paint over next: Genestealer Cult stuff or Militarum Tempestus (with some Inquisition stuff). Leaning towards the latter because Berets are totally not camp :britain:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

JoshTheStampede posted:

This is true but not really for teh reason everyone says it is. There were basically no holes in the Space Marine range by the end of 7th. They ran out of marines to sell, so they were looking at a future with no new marine kits anyway. They either had to start rehashing kits that were perfectly good already, or make new ones.

Or make... and this is going to sound shocking but bear with me here: make more non-marines.

e: I fully realize the absurd impossibility of what I am suggesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

richyp posted:

Almost done painting Sigmar stuff, trying to decide what spacemans to purchase and throw paint over next: Genestealer Cult stuff or Militarum Tempestus (with some Inquisition stuff). Leaning towards the latter because Berets are totally not camp :britain:

Voting genestealer cults for the purely selfish reason that I want to see your lovely painting applied to those amazing sculpts.