Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I read Ender's Game and aside from the broad strokes of the plot and the twist ending, I wasn't that impressed with this family of aryan ubermensch who are all better and smarter and also more compassionate than anyone else.

Basically Card is able to come up with some really interesting science fiction concepts that he buries in terrible bullshit, and a lot of people are able to overlook or not think critically about the bullshit because of the cool concepts, especially if they read it while they were young.

Also the children in the military school being naked all the time was kind of questionable and I'm not sure why that was even in there. It's a weird enough detail that I keep thinking I must've misremembered it, but what I recall making an impression was a bit where it describes the kids as being naked except when in the zero g fighting thing. If I am misremembering that please let me know because it's kind of insane and made a lot of later parts of the book, like the emotional embraces between the prepubescent boys, really uncomfortable to read.

EDIT:

FFT posted:

It's a Mormon tradition

Cool Dad has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Oct 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

Did everyone forget that reality tv and Twitter star Donald J. Trump became president of the United States of America?

Yes. It was a very early-internet concept that the internet would be an important public forum where great things could happen. As we went on that concept became more and more stupid until posting on the internet made someone president.

FFT posted:

Pretty sure they didn't achieve any real power beyond being "inluencers" before "influencers" were called that until Shadow of the Hegemon though

Like I don't think Peter or Valentine get past getfiscal or dril level of influence until Shadow of the Hegemon

Peter became Hegemon at the end of Ender's Game but it was like the last chapter and didn't go into detail except that he did it through his influence on the internet.

The Shadow series finally got into the details which retconed it as basically: he used Bean to lead his army and force everyone to submit to him.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I believe he wrote Ender's Game as a teenager/very early 20s, so it's not unreasonable he forgot every detail in the decades since. If I remember from his epilogue, he rushed through the entire book as a publisher-mandated prologue to the series he actually cared about, which was Speaker for the Dead etc.

I knows it's problematic to say that a homophobe is secretly gay, but Ender's Game is hella gay. I honestly think his church condemned him for some of the content, and he overcorrected to being the straightest conservative ever. I wish the rest of his books ( and life ) had half the empathy found in Ender's Game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cool Dad posted:

Also the children in the military school being naked all the time was kind of questionable and I'm not sure why that was even in there. It's a weird enough detail that I keep thinking I must've misremembered it, but what I recall making an impression was a bit where it describes the kids as being naked except when in the zero g fighting thing. If I am misremembering that please let me know because it's kind of insane and made a lot of later parts of the book, like the emotional embraces between the prepubescent boys, really uncomfortable to read.

EDIT:
You are misremembering because it wasn't that bad. They had military school uniforms. What everyone mostly remembers is the details of the shower fight between Ender and his bully.

Now in Ender's Shadow it got weirder because Bean discovers that the uniforms are being used to track them. So he gets naked to sneak around the school at night. Eventually Bean and a bunch of friends trick his bully into a compromising situation where they are all naked. Unlike Ender, Bean doesn't kill him and instead is able to record him confessing to murder.

e: It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Zero One has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Oct 19, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cool Dad posted:

they wore jumpsuits fitted to their size (unless that was a retcon in Ender's Shadow) because there were trackers in them (so Bean could get away with crawling into a vent at night because he was naked, which was a plot point in Shadow)

but when Ender and Bonzo fought to the death it was in the showers so they were naked

e: f; b

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Cool Dad posted:

There are a bunch of naked moments but there are regular uniforms they wear to class, etc. I think most of the naked moments are in the barracks/showers. Which having been in a militaryish organization in my early teens isn’t too far off from the truth. There’s always those weirdos who run around naked. I’m not defending OSC it’s creepy often describing their state of dress, but not always-naked-children weird.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Thank you for correcting me, I feel slightly better but not much better because it's still a fuckin weird book.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

:hmmyes:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

It's just instructions on how to bag up your loose leaf tea

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

looks like a manhattan with beans

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

Did everyone forget that reality tv and Twitter star Donald J. Trump became president of the United States of America?

I'm just saying I always see everyone forgetting how bad Ender's Game really was, especially when you read it as an adult.

I enjoyed it when I read it as a kid, but it does not hold up, and Card didn't just start being a bad writer (and human being) a decade later.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm just saying I always see everyone forgetting how bad Ender's Game really was, especially when you read it as an adult.

I enjoyed it when I read it as a kid, but it does not hold up, and Card didn't just start being a bad writer (and human being) a decade later.

Its a lot like Ready Player One, first read through "huh, this was alright I guess, not amazing"

Second read "what in the hell"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

CitizenKain posted:

Second read

I see your mistake.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

CitizenKain posted:

Its a lot like Ready Player One, first read through "huh, this was alright I guess, not amazing"

Second read "what in the hell"

That's the entire premise of 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, right down to the choice of first book. "Huh, why does everyone love this thing so much.......what the hell?"

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The one that stunned me was the author of Altered Carbon, a sci-fi novel series about the commodification of life and unimportance of individual bodies, or even gender, is apparently a TERF.

I think this is the one that gets me. I knew nothing about the man (beyond the books), until now. So, I mean yeah it's a little discordant to hear that the author is a TERF. Especially when, as you pointed out, one of the main aspects of the series is that your body is irrelevant. I've always wondered how an author can have personal views that are at odds with the views expressed in their work.

Anyway

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Scratch Monkey posted:

I see your mistake.

I went back to see what people were talking about, because I could only vaguely recall RPO. I think I read most of it while on some work trip and absorbed nothing from it. Second time was when the movie was announced and people started talking about it, and I thought "i don't remember it being that bad".

I was wrong.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's the entire premise of 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, right down to the choice of first book. "Huh, why does everyone love this thing so much.......what the hell?"

I'll check that out, thanks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I liked Enders Game as a kid and wound up reading Virtual War. It's quite similar but the war sims involve holograms you move with your hands that make you bleed if you push them too far.

I remember it as a lesson of "As a leader you have an obligation to the welfare of your subordinates, otherwise you will be destroyed" and I think that rules.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

OSC is on my list, along with Frank Miller, of "People broken by 9/11". Just a supremely weird dude who went off the deep end when that happened.

Didn't the guy who wrote Hyperion also go like weird super-right?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Inzombiac posted:

I liked Enders Game as a kid and wound up reading Virtual War. It's quite similar but the war sims involve holograms you move with your hands that make you bleed if you push them too far.

Holy poo poo that all came rushing back. It definitely had very similar themes of kids training for war and sneaking around at night. I remember liking it a lot as a kid, but don't dare reread it.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/notinaboyband/status/1582843224132972544?t=6G9HElQQeu_lJu8ggc239w&s=19

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SuddenCactus posted:

The same could be said for all food

What is a ham? A miserable little pile of secrets!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

And then ROBOCOP bursts into Parliament like the Cool Aid Man.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Grendels Dad posted:

And then ROBOCOP bursts into Parliament like the Cool Aid Man.

I'd buy that for a pound!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Can y'all move this back to funny pictures away from YA Books You Liked When You Were A Young Adult?

edit: have a picture of a cup cake I took at the store

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Oct 20, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's just this guy:

I always love the photoshopped tattoo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Can y'all move this back to funny pictures away from YA Books You Liked When You Were A Young Adult?

cup cake he says

Eh?… Eh?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Oct 20, 2022

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That's some smooth Jazz.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Children love the meat tank.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ultrafilter posted:

Children love the meat tank.

He's wearing the Meat helmet again.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

mods change my name to The Meat Tank

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Agghhh
The year is 2000, and Sydney is hosting the Olympic Games, and shirts & hats & billboards more or less identical to that cake are everywhere

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled