Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For reference, the villains in Ben's book are:

1) President White Obama, who's obsessed with his poll numbers and legacy and his master plan is trying to give jobs to everyone in American under a program he calls the "Work Freedom Project" (as in Arbeit Macht Frei, Work Brings Freedom--the sign above the gates at Auschwitz, in case you thought Ben was capable of subtly).

2) An Iranian Osama bin Laden stand in who has all of Saddam Hussein's very real weapons of mass destruction and wants to nuke New York City.

3) The faceless Mexican drug cartels who barely play a role in the story.

4) The Reverend Mal Shmarpton and Black Lives Matter, who want to reform the police across America so they will stop killing black people.

5) A teenage boy named Mohammed who works for Iranian bin Laden who's going to bomb New York and who exists so that Ben can justify racial profiling in a scene that ultimately actually proves why racial profiling DOESN'T WORK!

6) The Chinese... who get like one line of exposition in the epilogue.

7) President Anime Hillary Clinton who becomes POTUS after White Obama gets nuked aboard Air Force One at the end of the novel.

8) Some kid who was the star of Combat General Brett Hawthrone's high school football team named Yard because somehow no one in school knew his real name who only exists so that Ben can say that Combat General Brett Hawthrone used to hate black people because Yard bullied him, but then he got over it and now sees them as something almost approaching human beings like a good white person does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mantis42 posted:

"Gentlemen, I propose shooting an unarmed black child and blaming it on local law enforcement, thus severing the public's trust and leading to the police being defunded."
"Uh, sir, the cops have shot 5 children this week and Biden's proposed a 20 billion funding increase."
"Wow, really? Throw me a friggin bone here, I'm a poorly written racist stereotype in a Ben Shapiro novel."

There was something disturbingly familiar about the letter before me. The handwriting was hamfisted and betrayed a sub-7th grade literacy.

"You're in a Ben Shaprio novel, Max!"

The truth was a burning green crack through my brain. One dimensional characters acting with all the subtlety of an A. Wyatt Mann cartoon, stilted dialogue distilled from a staggeringly overconfident wannabe's imagination. The inability to convey genuine human interaction to save him own life.

I was in a Ben Shapiro novel. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nine-gear crow posted:

The most hilarious part though is how for a book that's supposed to be about how awesome Ben's idealized Mary Sue self insert protagonist is, the story ends with him losing, like really badly, and all of Ben's enemies; Muslims, terrorists, Hillary Clinton, China, Mexico, Black Lives Matter; all taking massive Ws. Hell the evil BLM dude scores the biggest win in the whole story, becoming the de facto King of the Midwest and implementing his diabolical scheme to... put more black and community based officers on police forces across the country to try and cut down on the number black people murdered by the cops...? Huh?

Didn't he plan for it to be a trilogy or something? Maybe the the protagonist was supposed to win later

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

Didn't he plan for it to be a trilogy or something? Maybe the the protagonist was supposed to win later

Yes, he sequel hooks the poo poo out of it with a "Welcome to the real war, General!" ending, but since the book bombed hard and it's been like 7 years since it was published and Ben has seemingly given up on writing fiction and is now trying to produce lovely movies instead, I think it's safe to say we will never be blessed/cursed with Truer Allegiance and Even Truer Allegiance as parts 2 and 3. So yeah instead the story ends on the "good" guys losing quite roundly.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Clay Travis wouldn't shut up today about The Proud House and how it's anti white and disgusting because it dared tell the truth that America was founded on slave labor and white supremacy still exists. Disney also apparently laid off 7000 employees recently and he said it's because the saying "Go woke go broke" is true and Disney is so woke that it's losing them money now.

It's weird because he made a couple of observations that are totally correct (Bob Iger is making hundreds of millions a year and the people he fired are not, pretty hosed up for rich people to sacrifice the poor and middle class to keep their massive salaries, streaming these days isn't a sustainable business model like it was when Netflix was at its peak, because people will just get it for a month and binge watch and then cancel their sub) but then goes "If Disney wasn't woke they wouldn't be in this position!"

Meanwhile Hannity instead just decided to focus on the FBI weaponization hearings and talked about how "We're going to be hearing from dozens of whistleblowers over the next few weeks that prove the FBI needs to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up because of how leftist it's become!"

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

mojo1701a posted:

They didn't false flag it. It really happened in the book, but it was a set-up. The evil BLM/Sharpton-types (because Al Sharpton is still a boogeyman in Ben's world) set this little black kid up to antagonize a white police office by making a grown adult think that this 10-year-old was going to whip out a gun. Because a police officer's instincts is to shoot if they feel threatened, regardless of the reality of the situation.

Which, uh, is not good for cops anyway.

From what I remember, the book described in lurid detail how the cop went into an Irish Berserker Rage, only calming down after he realized the kid he had just killed was, in fact, a kid.

And this was supposed to make him sympathetic?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I wish more of these kind of assholes like Ben would write fiction novels rather than nonfiction because it’s 1000 times more illustrative of their internal mental states than them literally telling you what they think is.

I cannot express enough how every one of Ben Shapiro’s most deeply felt insecurities is scrawled all over every page of that novel and it’s protagonist, General Brett Hawthorne, “...a bear of a man, six three in his bare feet and two hundred fifteen pounds in his underwear, with a graying blond crew cut and a face carved of granite.”

Seriously, any fan of this thread should listen to this take down/podcast of Ben Shapiro being Serious and expressing himself through fiction with the shittiest writing you can imagine unless you teach middle school and grade essays at night. Then imagine 30% of the population seeing the world through this lens, being under educated, framing reality through shallow stereotypes, good versus evil world views and delivered with "prose" that is not only not challenging, but very much elementary.

It's a book they can GET THROUGH where unnecessary adverbs seem intellectual. "Brett stealthally answered the phone" and then "bodily lifted the unconscious soldier". It's that bad

And BTB make digesting this poo poo palatable by rightfully laughing at it. Similar to watching The Room in some ways. The punctuation, avoidance of pronouns and terrible habit of telling not showing - even in a book - by delivering exposition and motivation devoid of any actually written scenes, conversations, characterization or narrative is absolutely incredible.

Further, man oh man, is talk radio ever ever concerned with huge corporations/private businesses enforcing their terms of service (Google, FB, Twitter) and "big tech" censorship. I thought that corporations were people and that they could do whatever they want because America and capitalism? When the Free Market speaks and conservatives/racists/nazis dislike what they say, then well by god that's anti freedom of speech.

Like they have a RIGHT to post on social media, apparently.

They're really on about it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So they agree you gotta bake that gay cake or not?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Hell the evil BLM dude scores the biggest win in the whole story, becoming the de facto King of the Midwest and implementing his diabolical scheme to... put more black and community based officers on police forces across the country to try and cut down on the number black people murdered by the cops...? Huh?

Was that Leroy Brown, "Yard"* or Tyrone Braxton? At least two of those names are in the book and this is the level of characterization it accomplishes. One "race hustler is named Levon Williams. The bad Muslim guy is named...Mohammed.

Our hero is...

Brett Hawthorne.

Who is "a bear of a man with a face chiseled out of granite, 6'2" in his bare feet"

He hastily and optically reads words then stealthally opens doors before he audibally says things.

The 8 year old kid who wanted to kill a "honky pig cop" named "O'Malley" was wearing a Bart SImpson t-shirt and was named Kendrick Malone.

* "Yard"
was a star high school football player (In south Chicago, naturally) yet nobody knew his real name. I assume he registered for school and signed up for football with only "Yard" on the forms and they that stitched that on the back of his jersey because nobody needs a real name to attend loving school. At least in the ghetto.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 10, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Clay Travis wouldn't shut up today about The Proud House and how it's anti white and disgusting because it dared tell the truth that America was founded on slave labor and white supremacy still exists. Disney also apparently laid off 7000 employees recently and he said it's because the saying "Go woke go broke" is true and Disney is so woke that it's losing them money now.

It's weird because he made a couple of observations that are totally correct (Bob Iger is making hundreds of millions a year and the people he fired are not, pretty hosed up for rich people to sacrifice the poor and middle class to keep their massive salaries, streaming these days isn't a sustainable business model like it was when Netflix was at its peak, because people will just get it for a month and binge watch and then cancel their sub) but then goes "If Disney wasn't woke they wouldn't be in this position!"

Meanwhile Hannity instead just decided to focus on the FBI weaponization hearings and talked about how "We're going to be hearing from dozens of whistleblowers over the next few weeks that prove the FBI needs to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up because of how leftist it's become!"

Also apparently most of the people Disney is firing are in their marketing divisions across the company, so they're 1) already pretty well paid themselves, and 2) have no real bearing on how "woke" Disney may or may not be (the answer is "not", Disney is not at all loving woke, at least in a capacity that isn't meekly preformative). Also turfing 7000 people is like chump change to Disney for gently caress's sake :rolleyes:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Neo_Crimson posted:

From what I remember, the book described in lurid detail how the cop went into an Irish Berserker Rage, only calming down after he realized the kid he had just killed was, in fact, a kid.

And this was supposed to make him sympathetic?

Oh, yeah! There are multiple moments in which Ben writes something that actually disproves his own beliefs like the Port Authority scene, the easily-antagonized cop, or when the US president is correct in not allowing Bubba Davis, the governor of Texas, to wage a border war with Mexico.

Also, wasn't Ellen supposed to be Davis's PR person but also was put in charge of investigating what was happening with Mexico? If it wasn't Ben Shapiro, it'd be so over the top as to make me think it was parody. But no, it's not.

If you haven't heard the 8-part series that they did on Worst Year Ever about Ben's short story "collection", you're missing out. Not as good but it's more delving into that psyche and bad writing.

BiggerBoat posted:

And BTB make digesting this poo poo palatable by rightfully laughing at it. Similar to watching The Room in some ways. The punctuation, avoidance of pronouns and terrible habit of telling not showing - even in a book - by delivering exposition and motivation devoid of any actually written scenes, conversations, characterization or narrative is absolutely incredible.

I'm glad you made the comparison to The Room, because they both allow whoever made it to openly express their own beliefs that end up giving us into a glimpse of who they really are. It's just a lot easier with Shapiro because we know way more about him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

If you haven't heard the 8-part series that they did on Worst Year Ever about Ben's short story "collection", you're missing out. Not as good but it's more delving into that psyche and bad writing.

Sorry for the double post but can you link that for me? TIA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Was that Leroy Brown, "Yard" or Tyrone Braxton? At least two of those names are in the book and this is the level of characterization it accomplishes. One "race hustler is named Levon Williams. The bad Muslim guy is named...Mohammed.

Our hero is...

Brett Hawthorne.

Who is "a bear of a man with a face chiseled out of granite, 6'2" in his bare feet"

He hastily and optically reads words then stealthally opens doors before he audibally says things.

The 8 year old kid who wanted to kill a "honky pig cop" named "O'Malley" was wearing a Bart SImpson t-shirt and was named Kendrick.

Yeah, the heroes of True Allegiance are:

1) Combat General Brett Hawthorne, a godly giant titan of a man who Ben wishes he was whenever he closes his eyes. He's the youngest general in American history and he spends the book getting beat the gently caress up, kidnapped, led around on wild goose chases, trying to racially profile people and failing miserably, and stoically avoiding his wife or telling her he loves her. Because Ben is also in a loveless sham marriage.

2) Ellen Hawthorne, Brett's wife and chief of staff (...?) to the governor of Texas. She's the most rational person in the book and spends most of her time just drifting between plot threads trying to stave off a civil war between her boss and President White Obama, and having her POV chapters ripped away from her after a couple of paragraphs because writing women is hard you guys.

3) Soledad Ramirez, who is Cliven Bundy but a middle aged Hispanic woman. She becomes a terrorist because White Obama was taxing her too much.

4) Bubba Davis, the governor of Texas who tries to invade Mexico of his own volition and gets into a near-shooting war with the United States Army over it.

5) Ricky O'Sullivan, the cop from Detroit who went into an Irish berserker warp spasm and shot an innocent black child in front of an entire city block's worth of onlookers.

6) Some ATF or other alphabet agency soldier who's sent to bring in Soledad when she does a Malheur stand off with the authorities but decides to defect and guns down his own troops to rescue her instead and helps her become a terrorist. He spends a lot of time also stealing Soledad's POV chapters from her because, again, Ben cringes at the mere idea of trying to inhabit the mind of a woman.

I think there may be more, but I don't remember. There's like 800 characters in that loving book and none of them are worth a tinker's drat of anything.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Why the hell bother to false flag cops killing a black kid anyway? Wait. It'll come.

He's implying, not so subtly, that they're all staged and cops are all name O'Malley and Good Guys.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is it explained what a "combat general" is?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BiggerBoat posted:

I gotcha:

https://www.podchaser.com/lists/ben-shapiros-terrible-book-as-read-on-behind-the-bastards-107a9FVacT

bird food bathtub posted:

Not explicitly that I recall, but the implication is "leads troops on the front line with a gun in his hand instead of behind a desk", i.e., add "the military" to the list of things Ben Shapiro has no loving clue about.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 10, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Whoops, quote is not edit.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

They get +2 to leadership rolls and a once-per-match ability to negate damage in melee combat.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

BiggerBoat posted:

Kendrick Malone

This feels perfect: He needed to come up with a black sounding name so he smashed two rappers' stage names together and either didn't check or care that one of them is white

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Levantine posted:

I'll never understand how we, as a collective society, elect so many fundamentally unserious people to serious positions. I don't care what your politics are, idolizing rudeness and stupidity will never make sense to me. Idolizing politicians, for that matter, makes no sense either! They're public servants!

I feel like we're so wrong we're not even wrong anymore. Just so far off the reservation there's no way to correct.

For a big segment of voters, politics is their preferred entertainment.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I was curious so I googled the phrase and it turns up in a wikipedia article about women in combat:

quote:

Jennie Carignan is the world's first-ever woman to become a combat general. In June 2016, she was promoted to the highest rank achieved by a Canadian woman from the combat-arms trades.[24] Although there were other Canadian female generals in the past, their roles were limited to non-combat disciplines such as intelligence, medicine, combat support or administration.

So yeah I guess Ben is just using "combat general" to mean "manly man who fights and does war stuff instead of sitting at a desk reading reports."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was curious so I googled the phrase and it turns up in a wikipedia article about women in combat:

So yeah I guess Ben is just using "combat general" to mean "manly man who fights and does war stuff instead of sitting at a desk reading reports."

If anyone's curious, in the US Army the actual distinct terms are "basic branch officer" and "special branch officer". The Navy uses "line officer" and "limited duty officer" or "staff corps officer", and the Air Force has "line officer" and "professional officer". In the Marines and Coast Guard all officers are considered line officers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1623760911730352128?t=w1udncD1jZ5XJPNc320xxQ&s=19

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Panfilo posted:

I feel like an actual bleeding heart leftist could have done a better job making a strawman leftist type villain. Guess he should have hired a ghost writer.

It's hard for conservatives to write good villains because everything we associate with villains (greed, lack of empathy, etc) are considered conservative virtues. So their villains just have to be people who want to destroy society for no reason, or just aren't racist enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

3) Soledad Ramirez, who is Cliven Bundy but a middle aged Hispanic woman. She becomes a terrorist because White Obama was taxing her too much.
Everything with this character is loving insane. She kills a bunch of people and Ben turns her into some folk hero or something because she stood up to the government, even though just like with the Bundys she was flagrantly breaking the law. Funny how they don't care about cop killers if they are doing it for the correct reasons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Sissy catboy hypno to brainwash people into eating vaccine laced bugs,cmon this isn't hard Ben.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know how to create a list, but using the same site Lemniscate Blue linked: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/worst-year-ever-918354/episodes/recent.

The first episode starts on December 9, 2021 and there's a total of 8 (or just filter by searching "Ben").

Oh! And if you miss chatter about the good ol' days of alt-right manosphere, listen to them breaking down Davis Aurini's review of The Matrix: Resurrections.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's what I just assumed. Also I find it funny because usually most fiction has its military heroes not be flag officers precisely because it gives a certain amount of humility and the ability to have superior officers that can pull rank and give conflict. James Bond isn't head of the British Secret Service, but a member of the 00 section that reports to M (the head of the SIS, who also reports to the PM and thus brings in additional conflict). Or Star Trek, which occasionally has an admiral appear to pull rank.

Who is Brett Hawthorne's superiors? Apparently no one except politicians like the President and the Army Chief of Staff, because he's America's youngest three-star general, you see. Total bad-rear end.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everything with this character is loving insane. She kills a bunch of people and Ben turns her into some folk hero or something because she stood up to the government, even though just like with the Bundys she was flagrantly breaking the law. Funny how they don't care about cop killers if they are doing it for the correct reasons.

I don't remember, but I think he throws a mention to a random member of their militia (or was it juts a gang?) is black, just so you know they're totally not white supremacist militia types.

Also, her cookies are amazing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mojo1701a posted:

I don't know how to create a list, but using the same site Lemniscate Blue linked: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/worst-year-ever-918354/episodes/recent.

The first episode starts on December 9, 2021 and there's a total of 8 (or just filter by searching "Ben").

Whoops, I thought they were requesting a link to the True Allegiance readthrough. Thanks for catching that.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i was like, why is the labor secretary saying insane stuff on fertility at a hearing before realizing that matt walsh and marty walsh are different people

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i was like, why is the labor secretary saying insane stuff on fertility at a hearing before realizing that matt walsh and marty walsh are different people

In addition to that, there's also two different Matt Walshes out there, one is a cool and good comedy and drama actor most well known for shows like Veep. The other is a creepy motherfucker who's obsessed with the genitals of children and how fertile and fuckable 16 year olds are and wants to genocide transgender people out of existence.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at Walsh having the ego to think he can be a serious talky person on serious gov stuff. most talking heads know they shouldnt do anything that gets put in a gov building.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

stoically avoiding his wife or telling her he loves her. Because Ben is also in a loveless sham marriage.

Lol comparing the chaste relationship between Brett Hawthorne and his wife (friendly hug when they say goodbye to each other possibly forever) to the lovingly homoerotic descriptions of Brett Hawthorne and his chiseled features and muscled physique.

And the black villains come to think of it. The white and Arab villains are all gross looking but every bad black dude is like a 250-lb shredded muscle god.

There's a lot going on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Roseanne Barr has a comedy special on Fox Nation coming up, which struck me as weird seeing as how she famously once desecrated our Sacred National Anthem. I thought conservatives were pretty touchy about that anthem stuff?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

Roseanne Barr has a comedy special on Fox Nation coming up, which struck me as weird seeing as how she famously once desecrated our Sacred National Anthem. I thought conservatives were pretty touchy about that anthem stuff?

I guess it depends with them. For instance, they can shrug off friendly fire if they understand it is in the name of triggering the libs. And I think that's the difference here-

If you had a "lefty" comedian that was pretty good about antagonizing right wingers, but at one point started throwing in casual transphobia in an effort to trip up his conservative marks, leftists wouldn't go for it. They'd argue he's punching down/going too far/not really a leftist or something. Triggering the right wouldn't be acceptable justification for insulting trans people in the process.

It kind of loops back to that observation I had about how a conservative can seem to "tolerate" their partner being leftist much more than a leftist could tolerate their partner being conservative. As such they're more flexible in partners, perhaps because they think they can "convert" them or they want some sort of power dynamic where they have a favorable position. But leftists won't make the same degrees of compromise as often; if the person is going to have abhorrent views then they won't waste their time arguing or converting them to the leftist point of view.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah but what about our national anthem?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It was also in the 90s and she has famously went batshit since then. They will take a “win” whenever they can. They could not get Dave Chappelle (and while he is “cancelled”, he still says jokes that make conservatives uncomfortable) and Jim Breuer has even less relevance. Roseanne has the highest name value with the best return…they hope.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BiggerBoat posted:

They've embraced a woman they accused of spreading Satanism to children with her wizard books because she's a Terf.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

BiggerBoat posted:

She didn't kneel, so it's fine. The goal posts are in constant motion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VitalSigns posted:

every bad black dude is like a 250-lb shredded muscle god.

There's a lot going on.
Famously, Richard Rodriguez's autobiography had long swaths of admiration for the tanned, muscular bodies of manual laborers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

She didn't kneel, so it's fine.

I see. So:

spitting and crotch grabbing (x intentionally butchering the song) < kneeling respectfully in silence (x not liking cops)

Conservative math is hard for me so I appreciate your help.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It was also in the 90s and she has famously went batshit since then. They will take a “win” whenever they can.

Yeah, you see them trying to do this from time to time with Kanye, where an attempt was made to do a "one of the good ones" with him, but now he's just so unpredictable and crazy they're not sure where to land on him.

I mean, back in the Red Hat period, they somehow forgot "George Bush doesn't care about black people"