Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

Just finished Rendezvous with Rama by Clarke and found out there are actually four three more books in the series. Are the others worth it, assuming I liked Rendezvous?

(Edit: Numbers are hard)

Paper Clip Death fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for the Vonnegut recommendations! A quick question:

Is his version of Bluebeard the same twist story about the guy who won’t let his wife see his secret room, she does anyway, and it’s holding the bodies of all his ex wives who went in the room?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Paper Clip Death posted:

Just finished Rendezvous with Rama by Clarke and found out there are actually four three more books in the series. Are the others worth it, assuming I liked Rendezvous?

(Edit: Numbers are hard)

they're different in tone from the first one, incredibly bad even for science fiction and clarke didn't write most of them anyway

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rolo posted:

Thanks for the Vonnegut recommendations! A quick question:

Is his version of Bluebeard the same twist story about the guy who won’t let his wife see his secret room, she does anyway, and it’s holding the bodies of all his ex wives who went in the room?

It's a very oblique thematic reference and the story has nothing to do with the plot you mention.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A human heart posted:

they're different in tone from the first one, incredibly bad even for science fiction and clarke didn't write most of them anyway

I kind of suspected this. The first one had a powerful sense of wonder throughout the story, which was the main reason I liked it, but it seemed unlikely that the sequels could maintain this feeling.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Just picked this up last week and I'm really excited. Will probably be my traditional "start something on New Year's Day" book for 2018.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Paper Clip Death posted:

I kind of suspected this. The first one had a powerful sense of wonder throughout the story, which was the main reason I liked it, but it seemed unlikely that the sequels could maintain this feeling.

There's an entire subgenre of science fiction called "Big Dumb Object" stories, where a mysterious alien artifact shows up and the protagonists have to figure out what it's for. This includes stuff like 2001, Rama, Ringworld, and many more. You might find some of these give you a similar experience without having to subject yourself to the Rama sequels.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

My favorite author is Terry Pratchett.

I still haven't read Wintersmith or a few of his other more recent books because I'm a big dumb baby and I am not willing to let go yet.

I want to read something ... happy. Everything these days is grimdark as gently caress. The last time I read something someone recommended, I ended up slogging through the misery of Handmaid's Tale.

Someone please recommend to me something that would get called "feel-good movie of the year" and "heartwarming" if it were a film.

I'm talking sappy poo poo like Pride and Prejudice or The Princess Bride.

Or, hell, just something loving hilarious like The Three Musketeers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Keshik posted:

I still haven't read Wintersmith or a few of his other more recent books because I'm a big dumb baby and I am not willing to let go yet.

I want to read something ... happy. Everything these days is grimdark as gently caress. The last time I read something someone recommended, I ended up slogging through the misery of Handmaid's Tale.

Someone please recommend to me something that would get called "feel-good movie of the year" and "heartwarming" if it were a film.

I'm talking sappy poo poo like Pride and Prejudice or The Princess Bride.

Or, hell, just something loving hilarious like The Three Musketeers.

My first suggestions would be Pride and Prejudice , The Princess Bride, or The Three Musketeers.They're all awesome!

Failing that, read Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Keshik posted:

really sorry to hear that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Failing that, read Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.
Seconding this, most heartwarming fantasy novel of all time.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

Selachian posted:

There's an entire subgenre of science fiction called "Big Dumb Object" stories, where a mysterious alien artifact shows up and the protagonists have to figure out what it's for. This includes stuff like 2001, Rama, Ringworld, and many more. You might find some of these give you a similar experience without having to subject yourself to the Rama sequels.
I came across the term, yeah. I'll have to keep it in mind for future reference. Thanks!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my girlfriend has a reading disability, but has rediscovered a love of literature thanks to audiobooks. I want to surprise her with some audiobooks in the style she likes - romance (and smutty is fine, good even), but with a literary bent to them. Extra points if they're funny or period pieces.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Impermanent posted:

my girlfriend has a reading disability, but has rediscovered a love of literature thanks to audiobooks. I want to surprise her with some audiobooks in the style she likes - romance (and smutty is fine, good even), but with a literary bent to them. Extra points if they're funny or period pieces.

I don't read that genre but the people I know who do highly recommend the Outlander series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlander_(novel)

There's also https://www.amazon.com/My-Secret-Garden-Nancy-Friday/dp/1416567011

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am halfway through What The Hell Did I Just Read by David Wong and I am really enjoying it. I like the casual joking while dealing with weird/cosmic horror, what else would be in the similar vein?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Flaggy posted:

I am halfway through What The Hell Did I Just Read by David Wong and I am really enjoying it. I like the casual joking while dealing with weird/cosmic horror, what else would be in the similar vein?

Charles Stross's Laundry Files books might do you, although he's not quite as wacky as Wong. Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant books can be pretty funny, although in those the supernatural mostly comes in the form of more traditional fey, ghosts, and local gods instead of cosmic horror entities. You might also like Joe Hill -- Heart-Shaped Box or Horns for instance.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Flaggy posted:

Daniel O'Malley's The Rook

Charlie Human's Apocalypse Now Now

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Charles Stross's Laundry Files books might do you, although he's not quite as wacky as Wong. Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant books can be pretty funny, although in those the supernatural mostly comes in the form of more traditional fey, ghosts, and local gods instead of cosmic horror entities. You might also like Joe Hill -- Heart-Shaped Box or Horns for instance.

Yup, read a bunch of Charles Stross and really enjoy it. Same with Hill, read everything he has written. Will check out Peter Grant books, thanks!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Daniel O'Malley's The Rook

Charlie Human's Apocalypse Now Now

Awesome, thank you!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Also for Apocalypse Now Now...

https://vimeo.com/229806524

tatertot
Aug 29, 2003
Any recommendations for wilderness survival fiction? Something like My Side of the Mountain, Gary Paulsen, or Jack London?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

tatertot posted:

Any recommendations for wilderness survival fiction? Something like My Side of the Mountain, Gary Paulsen, or Jack London?

To The White Sea is freaking awesome.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Impermanent posted:

Kushiel's Dart (and its sequels) seems custom made for her. It's pretty controversial here though (and by that I mean me and I think one other person really liked it, everyone else thinks the S&M parts are trash. I really do think it's legit good though, not even in a "so bad / trashy it's good" kinda way)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Has anyone read anything great on archetypes and plots in fiction?

I tried to get into Hero With a Thousand Faces but found it super flaky. Googling found me "The Seven Basic Plots", which I haven't read or tried to but it's poorly reviewed the author is a well known fuckwit (climate change denial, creationist!? etc) so I am reluctant to give him any money.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

jiggerypokery posted:

Has anyone read anything great on archetypes and plots in fiction?

I tried to get into Hero With a Thousand Faces but found it super flaky. Googling found me "The Seven Basic Plots", which I haven't read or tried to but it's poorly reviewed the author is a well known fuckwit (climate change denial, creationist!? etc) so I am reluctant to give him any money.

What's the main reason you're interested in this?

Go ahead and get Mythologies by Roland Barthes.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
What's a good recommendation for someone who liked the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Any good books on Chinese history for someone who knows almost nothing about Chinese history?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

pospysyl posted:

Any good books on Chinese history for someone who knows almost nothing about Chinese history?

any particular era?

Its a long history

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pat Mustard posted:

What's a good recommendation for someone who liked the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist?

Depends on what you like about it, but I'd say just about any of the mega fantasy standards -- the Belgariad; Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn; Mistborn; The Wheel of Time; etc.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

any particular era?

Its a long history

I'm not sure. The classical or medieval era, maybe? Wu Zetian sounds like an interesting figure.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

Selachian posted:

Depends on what you like about it, but I'd say just about any of the mega fantasy standards -- the Belgariad; Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn; Mistborn; The Wheel of Time; etc.

Cheers! It's for a mate as a Christmas gift, I'm not sure exactly what he likes about it. I've heard of Wheel of Time though so I'll get that. And if the reason I have heard of Wheel of Time is because the same mate told me about it (which seems likely) then I'll keep the receipt. Thanks again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Need a thick-rear end book for an upcoming cross-country trip and also because I finished my twelve-month reading challenge and no longer need to rush myself when reading. Raided the book pile I got from my friend last year and I pulled out Infinite Jest and Don Quixote. Thoughts on either?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
don't read infinite jest

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Need a thick-rear end book for an upcoming cross-country trip and also because I finished my twelve-month reading challenge and no longer need to rush myself when reading. Raided the book pile I got from my friend last year and I pulled out Infinite Jest and Don Quixote. Thoughts on either?

You should read Don Quixote of course.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

C-Euro posted:

Make sure you're reading the Pierre Menard Quixote, not the Cervantes Quixote.

More serious answer: they're wildly different books but if you read the first three pages of each you'll know which you prefer.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

C-Euro posted:

If you don't go with either of these try The Magus by John Fowles. It's a good deal lighter than the other two but I couldn't put it down.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I used to really like reading RA Salvatore's books about Drizzet and the Dragonlance books about Raistlin - and sort of branched out from there into all sorts of random fantasy dreck. That was many years ago though, I don't read much anymore, so I'm sort of out of touch with who the "good" bad fantasy authors are. That said I'd like to read a book about a necromancer. As in a book where the main character is a High Fantasy magic (wo)man who controls the undead and the book has at least the level of quality(?) that the old Forgotten Realms books had. I don't know if that's too low-brow for this thread but I figure it can't hurt to ask before I spin the roulette by searching the word "necromancer" on amazon.

I'm doing this for a project of sorts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

sunken fleet posted:

I used to really like reading RA Salvatore's books about Drizzet and the Dragonlance books about Raistlin - and sort of branched out from there into all sorts of random fantasy dreck. That was many years ago though, I don't read much anymore, so I'm sort of out of touch with who the "good" bad fantasy authors are. That said I'd like to read a book about a necromancer. As in a book where the main character is a High Fantasy magic (wo)man who controls the undead and the book has at least the level of quality(?) that the old Forgotten Realms books had. I don't know if that's too low-brow for this thread but I figure it can't hurt to ask before I spin the roulette by searching the word "necromancer" on amazon.

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer is pretty solid. It's not high epic fantasy though, closer to lovecraft steampunk if anything.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sunken fleet posted:

Not 100% sure if it is what you are looking for but there's the Warhammer Nagash the Necromancer book(s)?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Steven Erikson's Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are pretty amusing stories about a pair of necromancers and their unfortunate servant. Usual caveats regarding Erikson apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer is pretty solid. It's not high epic fantasy though, closer to lovecraft steampunk if anything.

Selachian posted:

Steven Erikson's Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach are pretty amusing stories about a pair of necromancers and their unfortunate servant. Usual caveats regarding Erikson apply.

These both look interesting, so I bought them both for 6 bucks on Amazon. Thanks! I'm not 100% sold on steampunk but what the hell, if it's not what I'm looking for I'm only out three dollars.

Kvlt! posted:

Not 100% sure if it is what you are looking for but there's the Warhammer Nagash the Necromancer book(s)?

This seems really in-line with what I'm trying to find (High Fantasy) but I'm completely unfamiliar with Warhammer and I don't know if I'm going to not be able to "get" the setting or whatever because of that? Are Warhammer books easy to just pick up and read? Or is there going to be a bunch of jargon I'm unfamiliar with that won't be explained at all because the author assumes the reader is familiar with the mechanics of the Warhammer setting?