Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7hgzna3E

bonus for probably being the most awkward "performance" ever.

I could not watch that - especially the audience reaction shots - without thinking of Devo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4-2onb62y8

I have a bunch of Man or Astroman? albums and dig them a lot. But watching them play has given me the wierdest gear boner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6syxA0ThR5Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Synonamess Botch posted:

I was gonna say, phrygian dominant + tremolo picking will get you half way to surf music easily

The weirdest thing I ever figured out is that black metal and surf have almost the same guitar parts, just different drum beats and surf doesn't have much distortion. Otherwise the scales overlap and they both use a shitload of reverb. I'm talking about a lot of stupid dissonant scales mismatched and joined together like putting locrian alongside harmonic minor and a lot of open minor chords, as well as tremolo picking.

Speaking of reverb, I palm slammed the order button for a TC Hall of Fame today, should arrive by the end of the week.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Its been a long time since I was heavily into Man or Astroman?. I might need to get some of their albums in digital form cause I used to listen to it on vinyl a lot.

Los Straitjackets are more classic style surf, and they do their whole shows with the masks on. I saw them at a summer outdoors show one time and the one guy was lifting the bottom of his mask up to let all the sweat flood out. Some serious dedication to anonymity. Plus they often perform with burlesque dancers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1P0zEZIqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q_ru8__qzs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Synonamess Botch posted:

I was gonna say, phrygian dominant + tremolo picking will get you half way to surf music easily

And reverb set to where it sounds like someone stepping in a puddle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHVJaVHvGU8

Really, anything can be turned into a surf tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHBLognpz2M

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Massive headache + sinus infection + medicated as hell + sitting at the Ford dealership at 7am + slamming an oddly-not-horrible latte = all I could think about was practicing guitar. I even caught myself a couple of times running scales and arpeggiations on the table while I read email.

I have a porblem.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Alleric posted:

Massive headache + sinus infection + medicated as hell + sitting at the Ford dealership at 7am + slamming an oddly-not-horrible latte = all I could think about was practicing guitar. I even caught myself a couple of times running scales and arpeggiations on the table while I read email.

I have a porblem.

In high school (mid aughts) I used to draw out the patterns to scales in the margins of my notebooks alongside doodles of iron maiden album covers. WELCOME TO THE PARTY PAL

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Spanish Manlove posted:

In high school (mid aughts) I used to draw out the patterns to scales in the margins of my notebooks alongside doodles of iron maiden album covers. WELCOME TO THE PARTY PAL

Yeah but how much of that was for your own benefit, and how much was hoping someone would see and go OH WOW GUITARIST

Be honest! *casually flips a pick around in public*

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
thanks for all the info dudes! yeah I have noticed the bm and surf are similar. the part I wrote was kinda a hybrid of both and I really wanna be dark and groovy at the same time. :colbert:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Smash it Smash hit posted:

thanks for all the info dudes! yeah I have noticed the bm and surf are similar. the part I wrote was kinda a hybrid of both and I really wanna be dark and groovy at the same time. :colbert:

Set the gain on your HM-2 at noon. Problem solved.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Declan MacManus posted:

Set the gain on your HM-2 at noon. Problem solved.

If you own an HM-2 and didn't turn all the knobs to ten before you snapped the posts off then you're doing that pedal wrong.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but how much of that was for your own benefit, and how much was hoping someone would see and go OH WOW GUITARIST

Be honest! *casually flips a pick around in public*

It was all to learn the modes and stay awake in english.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Mermen are great. Jim Thomas is a really fun guitar player to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P764knLUsko

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think it's always been the same party, just upstairs/downstairs/backyard/whatever. My mid-aughts high school days were me sitting in insert-any-class-that-wasn't-symphonic-winds with my free time staring at my stack of 3 trusty grey ledger notebooks. Some days it was transcribing a section of a piece I was playing on bassoon into either F or G clef out of C4 Tenor (composer me loves movable keys, player me thinks they can go gently caress themselves), or maybe further work on keyed percussion arrangement for drumline, or evaluating a 8-voice polychord counterpoint section I'd hosed up (this eventually graduated to a serious love for dense tone clusters), or working out position shifting for efficiently moving between sections of a jazz chart on bass.

I used to drive people nuts with tapping out 5's, 7's or 9's over 4's with my fingers while listening to lectures. I never noticed I was doing it.

I think this part of my psyche has just been asleep for a little while.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

half of my math notebooks from highschool are probably nothing but chords and tab. i had a lot of sex because everyone was very impressed and i am handsome

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

half of my math notebooks from highschool are probably nothing but chords and tab. i had a lot of sex because everyone was very impressed and i am handsome

What are you doing later?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hate NYXL strings. I've gone through a few packs now and I'm really mad about how good they are. Why do they have to be so good and also $10? They feel perfect, sound great, and I've beaten the poo poo out of the 9s unlike any string beatings I've previously dealt out and they don't break or even go too out of tune. I hate when something that seems like complete marketing bullshit turns out to be true and causes my wallet to vomit. Thanks D'Addario! You're a pretty solid company and I hate money!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I got a complimentary pair with my music man. They own.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hate NYXL strings. I've gone through a few packs now and I'm really mad about how good they are. Why do they have to be so good and also $10? They feel perfect, sound great, and I've beaten the poo poo out of the 9s unlike any string beatings I've previously dealt out and they don't break or even go too out of tune. I hate when something that seems like complete marketing bullshit turns out to be true and causes my wallet to vomit. Thanks D'Addario! You're a pretty solid company and I hate money!

I bought a pack out of sheer curiosity myself, but I have not had a chance to put them on yet.

Maybe I shouldn't, I like money. :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Stravinsky posted:

high five high school sex haver!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I bought a pack out of sheer curiosity myself, but I have not had a chance to put them on yet.

Maybe I shouldn't, I like money. :(

They're kinda amazing. It also looks like they've gotten more than just the 9/42 and 10/46 sets out finally. Given how tough these are, I'm tempted to actually try the 8/38 set without fear of breaking by just looking at them wrong.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I read in a review online somewhere that someone thought they felt like the EB Cobalts. Confirm/Deny? I hate the way those cobalts feel so if these feel similar I'm not tempted to try them.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
The set I tried felt kind of sticky or rough, but it could have been my hands that day. I plan to go over them with a microfiber cloth and see if that helps. In terms of tension and everything else, I think they feel pretty much like my other D'Addario 10-46 sets. Maybe a tiny bit on the stiff side of normal, I guess because of the hex cores. Not at all unmanageable in E standard, and I don't have especially strong hands. The pre-soldered wraps will be nice for my one Kahler bridge. Sound-wise, I don't really hear a noticeable jump in volume or upper midrange boost, but they certainly sound good. I certainly like them more than the balanced tension set I tried.

Strings almost always last me a month or more so the durability thing is not my biggest concern. If they sound new longer I guess that's cool though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HollisBrown posted:

I read in a review online somewhere that someone thought they felt like the EB Cobalts. Confirm/Deny? I hate the way those cobalts feel so if these feel similar I'm not tempted to try them.

They feel like the normal D'Addario strings to me, maybe a little smoother but not silky smooth. It's hard to say, they just feel good on your fingers. I don't think they're much like the cobalts at all. Just for the record I keep my hands/strings/fretboard as dry as possible when I play so they will probably feel different if you like it slippery.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Speaking of strings, anybody use Curt Mangans? I don't know if I brought them up when I bought a pack about a month ago, but I'm loving them. They have a great, clear tone. I think I have the nickel plated steels, but I might go for the pure nickels next time. They last long, stay in tune great, and they just feel nice (more flexible than D'Addarios in the same size IMO). A bit pricey, I'll admit.

Probably going to try their acoustic strings as well.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Remember that old episode of the Simpsons where they tour the Duff Beer factory, and three types of beer were flowing out of the same pipe?

I feel that way about strings sometimes.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
I am still early in my journey learning how to play. I have an acoustic guitar and I am looking to get an electric guitar and amp to practice with. I live in an apartment so i cannot get anything too crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations on practice amps? I was looking at the Orange Micro Terror and the Yahama THR 10. Since I am terrible, I don't want to spend too much money, but I want to get something decent.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Not to be a downer, but you're likely screwed with any amp in an apartment.

My fav practice setup is the Avid 11 Rack and a good set of headphones. They can be had goofy cheap and they've got enough flexibility to help you figure out what you like out of effects and all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

To be fair you can get by with low volume and scooping out all the bass, if you just want to hear something in the room. Like if you were listening to music normally. Depends on the apt though

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I've had great luck with the Blackstar HT 1, and it's got good emulated output for headphones.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You'd be surprised how little volume you can get out of even the most powerful amps, don't let apartment living stop you from getting something you like. Just be conscious of when and how loud you play. Or get an attenuator with a tube amp, like I will be doing once I find a cabinet for a price I like, but that's probably at a level of enthusiasm more than you want to commit to right now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Also a lot depends on the apartment and your neighbors.

I used to live in a slum box above a Mexican family, one of their kids would practice his bass all afternoon playing Norteno tunes on what must've been an SVT full stack because it drowned out everything else in a 3 block radius. No compunctions at all about letting poo poo rip there.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That kid sounds cool

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

RagingHematoma posted:

I live in an apartment so i cannot get anything too crazy.

I'm liking my Vox amPlug or Pocket Pod with a pair of Sennheiser PX 100-II headphones for apartment based practice. The amPlug sounds good, but it runs on AAA batteries. The Pocket Pod is too expensive for what it is (all the effects sound horrible, but most of the clean amp models are ok) but I can plug that into the wall, so no batteries needed. The PX 100 phones are light and don't enclose my ears, so they don't become uncomfortably hot. I'd much rather have an AC15, but I also don't need to subject my neighbors to me trying and failing to play the exercises in my method book. Over and over and over.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

RagingHematoma posted:

I am still early in my journey learning how to play. I have an acoustic guitar and I am looking to get an electric guitar and amp to practice with. I live in an apartment so i cannot get anything too crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations on practice amps? I was looking at the Orange Micro Terror and the Yahama THR 10. Since I am terrible, I don't want to spend too much money, but I want to get something decent.
Just go to a music store and plug in to some modeling practice amps like the Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr (that loving name...), Fender Mustang, Line 6 Spider, that Yamaha, etc. Just give 'em all a whirl and see what trips your trigger. Most of them are pretty affordable, especially the low-wattage models. And if you stick with a low-wattage one you can get a really nice guitar and upgrade to the amp you want at some other time.

Or you could do what I did and live with the World's Shittiest Amp for half-a-decade that keeps discouraging you from playing because you don't know any better.

I hate summer. I have to take my guitar in for a setup because of the humidity and heat, and the last setup my local store did was absolute poo poo, so now I gotta take it to the other luthier in town, who charges a bit more than everyone else. He did a drat fine job repairing my beat-to-hell ukulele, though!

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 3, 2014

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys any idea what kind of guitar this is? A friend gave it to me. I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the cost of getting it back to playable shape.

The nut is missing, there's no bridge, and a tuner bushing is missing. I'm not sure if the electronics are working either.

Any ideas? Can I get a cheap tune-o-matic copy and a nut black at Guitar Fetish or is it going to be more complicated than that?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My Vox VT30 is 30 watts, but has a knob to dial it down. So if I want to practice off hours I can do that. If its during the day I can crank it back up. Would recommend whatever the latest models are cause its a nice amp with a tube and some different models and effects built in.

Though these days I got one of those iRig iOS/usb interfaces and use amp modeling to play through my iphone, ipad or computer.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

RagingHematoma posted:

I'd reccommend the THR10, the micro terror's master volume knob goes way too loud way too quickly (for some goddamn reason) plus it's only sound ranges from 'hard rock' to 'metal'. For versatility a Fender or a Vox, even Marshall, beats it out with ease.

Meanwhile I haven't tried the Yamaha, but I'd imagine that since it's meant for apartment/home playing that the volume doesn't jump nearly as much as the Orange. As for modelling, I prefer a single amp that can perform a good range genres in it's own voice than a single amp that can do a bunch of different voices; however that comes from the experience of knowing what several different amps work for me. A modelling amp that can help teach you what you'd want/need early on in your learning experience. So to compare, if you get the Orange and it turns out you want to sound any different than it can offer then you're SOL.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Spanish Manlove posted:

You'd be surprised how little volume you can get out of even the most powerful amps, don't let apartment living stop you from getting something you like. Just be conscious of when and how loud you play. Or get an attenuator with a tube amp, like I will be doing once I find a cabinet for a price I like, but that's probably at a level of enthusiasm more than you want to commit to right now.
It depends on where you live. Four hours after I moved into a place in April, after playing guitar for half an hour at not particularly loud volumes in the middle of the day, the upstairs neighbor came by and introduced herself... and asked me to turn it down. It is a pisser, but I've just bought nice headphones and am sticking with AmpliTube and those for the most part now.

also I guess I have to pick up some NYXLs, I've had too many pure blues sets with a dead D string now.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Do you guys any idea what kind of guitar this is? A friend gave it to me. I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the cost of getting it back to playable shape.

The nut is missing, there's no bridge, and a tuner bushing is missing. I'm not sure if the electronics are working either.

Any ideas? Can I get a cheap tune-o-matic copy and a nut black at Guitar Fetish or is it going to be more complicated than that?

It's a 60s era Japanese thing. They all came out of the same factory with a bunch of different brands on.
I think the last of that body shape I saw was a Canora, but they could be branded Guyatone, Teisco, Silvertone and a bunch of others.
If you can get parts cheaply enough it'll work as a beater, I guess it depends on what it ends up sounding like.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Thanks for all of the advice. I am probably going to take a trip to a store and just see what sounds best. It is really overwhelming when you see just how many different products there are.

Glad to hear I am not the only apartment dweller. It would be awesome to have a huge basement and not have to worry about pissing everyone off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I am enjoying this piezo pickup so much that I feel motivated to produce a plethora of small, contained instrumental pieces. For some reason I am just really finding my groove with minor chords with this bad boy. Video is for suckas though; just audio.

I had a bass lying around too, so I guess I'll just throw in some bass lines to help round out the sound.