Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Is it better these days to use a travel agency to book a flight, or just do it online?
I've been looking online but it's such a pain in the rear end because I am merely looking for a good deal on a one-way trip with no date set other than *soon* (helping an in-law escape an abusive relationship ASAP), but almost all of them require you to choose a narrow date. I also know some of the airlines won't deal with the pricelines, kayaks, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
There's a joke about Christianity/ Jesus that I can remember the punchline and the opening of, but can't recall a vital part of the set up to. It opens with Jesus meeting a group of university students or a professor at such an establishment (it's one of the two, or perhaps both I can't properly recall, nor for that matter, on reflection does it really affect the outcome of the joke).The professor say something to Jesus to which he responds in, I think, puzzled maybe slightly amused shock by exclaiming "what?"

Does anyone know what it is the professor/ students say to Jesus in order to warrant such a response?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Coffee Wolf posted:

Is it better these days to use a travel agency to book a flight, or just do it online?
I've been looking online but it's such a pain in the rear end because I am merely looking for a good deal on a one-way trip with no date set other than *soon* (helping an in-law escape an abusive relationship ASAP), but almost all of them require you to choose a narrow date. I also know some of the airlines won't deal with the pricelines, kayaks, etc.

Google Flights actually works pretty well. Put in your destination with today's date, then press the arrow button to cycle through departure dates and find a good time with a cheap price that fits your schedule.

If you click the calendar button you can also quickly spot the lowest fare in the upcoming days/weeks/months

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
That is awesome and coming up with same prices I saw on individual sites so I know it's accurate. Thanks!!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

change my name posted:

What's the best ipad word processing app that can read microsoft office files? And preferably save them as such also.
QuickOffice connect, but you might also want to ask in this thread if you have specific requirements.

Coffee Wolf posted:

Which airlines don't deal with kayak or priceline? I've used both extensively and ended up with flights on just about every airline I know exists.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Please someone help! I was listening to a classical radio station yesterday and heard the most AMAZING SONG.

I look up on the website and this is what I find:

Turlough O'Carolan - Kelly Suite
Chatham Baroque
Dorian 90291

I've found websites offering to sell me this song, but when I click "buy," they say it's not available.

I will buy anyone who finds me this song as performed by this ensemble a shiny new upgrade of their choice. I called the station and everything, the info above is the best I could find.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've got about 30 DVDs of TV shows that I want to rip to put on my NAS. Is there an easy program that can rip them at the best quality and autoname them with their episode titles?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Huntersoninski posted:

Please someone help! I was listening to a classical radio station yesterday and heard the most AMAZING SONG.

Chatham Baroque
Dorian 90291

I've found websites offering to sell me this song, but when I click "buy," they say it's not available.

I will buy anyone who finds me this song as performed by this ensemble a shiny new upgrade of their choice. I called the station and everything, the info above is the best I could find.
The publisher's catalog code 90291 doesn't match your title exactly, but:
http://www.sonoluminus.com/p-210-reel-of-tulloch.aspx
... does include something that sounds similar and matches the label code you posted, and is in-stock:

Kelly Set - (Arr. C. Norman)
19. Mild Mabel Kelly - Turlough O’Carolan
That's not on mp3, and it's $16 for the (I guess) CD.

I don't know anything about this website so I hope it's kosher but google found this site here (#19) with that particular song available for download. Maybe give it a listen and see if that's it, then order the CD?

edit: \/\/\/ I saw that too but it's out of stock :(

edit2: \/\/\/ I don't need any upgrades so if that's the right track you can have the prize :)

randyest fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 4, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
^ its showing me 7 new and 6 used..

Huntersoninski posted:

Chatham Baroque
Dorian 90291

You sure it wasn't the Kelly set? This cd with that album name has a Kelly Set tracks 20-24

http://amazon.com/Reel-Tulloch-Baroque-Scotland-Ireland/dp/B000058TF9

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 4, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Coffee Wolf posted:

That is awesome and coming up with same prices I saw on individual sites so I know it's accurate. Thanks!!

Once you find a flight you like, you may be able to get a better rate by booking directly through the airline instead of through a travel website. I've also heard anecdotally that you get better service when things go wrong if you book directly, though I myself have gotten excellent customer service directly from airlines even when booking through Expedia.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Huntersoninski posted:

Chatham Baroque
Dorian 90291

http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=900602
MP3 though.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Is there a way to get over wanting women I can't have? What causes this annoying cycle of infatuation?

I don't have much trouble meeting women, but the women I'm most interested in always pose the biggest challenge. It's harmless enough in that there's no hurt feelings or creepiness, but it's unnecessary stress and complication.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Repost that in E/N, you'll get much better advice.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Were all of the songs in the Flight of the Conchords show written for the show, or only some of them?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Communist Toast posted:

Were all of the songs in the Flight of the Conchords show written for the show, or only some of them?
Only some of them. I first heard them a few years before the show came out and a couple of songs from the show were in the set. From the first season anyway, I imagine that nearly if not all the songs in the second season are new.

UK goons, a lot of people don't know that that old phones4u advert ("phones, for less, for you, at phones4u") was Flight of the Conchords.

[edit]Youtube has it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFo9nnmOU_4

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

randyest posted:

QuickOffice connect, but you might also want to ask in this thread if you have specific requirements.

Which airlines don't deal with kayak or priceline? I've used both extensively and ended up with flights on just about every airline I know exists.

Well, I heard it on the news sorta recently so maybe not so much "KNOW" as it is "maybe know." Either way, last time I flew was in the early 90's but I was just out of highschool and well, it's 20 or so years ago.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

randyest posted:

I don't know anything about this website so I hope it's kosher but google found this site here (#19) with that particular song available for download. Maybe give it a listen and see if that's it, then order the CD?

Well that's it. Thanks! :) But since you don't need it,

2508084 posted:

^ its showing me 7 new and 6 used..

You sure it wasn't the Kelly set? This cd with that album name has a Kelly Set tracks 20-24

http://amazon.com/Reel-Tulloch-Baroque-Scotland-Ireland/dp/B000058TF9

I think this CD may have that track. What upgrade would you like?

Thanks everyone who replied!

edit: just saw you, Shy!

That is also the answer, and a legit mp3 download to boot! You get an upgrade too! What would you want?

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 4, 2012

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Huntersoninski posted:

That is also the answer, and a legit mp3 download to boot! You get an upgrade too! What would you want?

Nothing, I have all the upgrades. Enjoy ;)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

KittenofDoom posted:

Is there a way to get over wanting women I can't have? What causes this annoying cycle of infatuation?

I don't have much trouble meeting women, but the women I'm most interested in always pose the biggest challenge. It's harmless enough in that there's no hurt feelings or creepiness, but it's unnecessary stress and complication.

quote:

Man, I was thinking about unrequited love. I figure it's best to just walk that poo poo off. Find someone else to be excited about. It's like if you love ice cream but your ice cream man friend won't give you any. Maybe he's got a good reason. It cuts into profits. Who knows? But he likes you as a friend and wants to hang out anyway. It just drives you crazy to hang out with that dude, even if he's being reasonable from his point of view. So don't hang out with him. What, you ONLY like ice cream? It's ice cream or nothing? Don't be an rear end in a top hat. Learn to love donuts.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This seems like the best place to ask this. A while ago, probably years, someone posted some awful christian movie review site. It might have been directed at parents trying to instill christian values in their kids. I've got nothing against that unless it's hilariously over the top, which this site was - It had stuff about why The Lion King is a tool of satan and that sort of thing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

This seems like the best place to ask this. A while ago, probably years, someone posted some awful christian movie review site. It might have been directed at parents trying to instill christian values in their kids. I've got nothing against that unless it's hilariously over the top, which this site was - It had stuff about why The Lion King is a tool of satan and that sort of thing.

CAP Alert! Didn't realize the guy is still doing this. He has kind of a hard-on for Julie Andrews too.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I also have a hard on for Julie Andrews.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

There used to be this number my friends and I would text that gave you a random person to text with. It asked your name and age I think before you started talking and you could next people like on chat roulette. Does anyone know if it still exists and what the number was?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Twice when I've been cooking recently, I've felt like there was a flavour missing but I don't know how to describe it. I was making enchilada sauce and there was a strong tomato and chili flavour, but I felt like the tastes were "light" and needed to be "more grounded" or "earthy." Then when I was making Tom Yam soup, again there was a good lemon and chili flavour, but I felt like it needed "depth."

I put some cumin in the enchilada sauce and a little bouillon powder in the soup and they were better, but what is that flavour or thing that I'm trying to describe?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Sounds like umami to me.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Why do some many websites have picture slideshows these days? For an article of "Top 20 *something* of 2011" or something, and it has that awful slideshow box that doesn't fit on the browser screen very well and doesn't let you skip between pictures easily. Is it just a bandwidth issue to not load all the pictures on one page?

I hate those slideshows.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Hoops posted:

Why do some many websites have picture slideshows these days? For an article of "Top 20 *something* of 2011" or something, and it has that awful slideshow box that doesn't fit on the browser screen very well and doesn't let you skip between pictures easily. Is it just a bandwidth issue to not load all the pictures on one page?

I hate those slideshows.

Page views, advertisement. Probably. I hate them too.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Hoops posted:

I hate those slideshows.

That is a bastard move intended to sucker more pageviews out of you, even going so far as to insert an interstitial ad at the prime spot right before number 1 on the list. You should be wary of any article that uses such title fuckery in the first place, as it's a sign of lackluster, if not heavily-manipulated content. For example, the formula of including the number of items, a superlative, and phrasing that's purposely edgy, sexy, controversial, or vague. For examples, see Cracked.com articles, with titles such as "22 Internet Memes That Will Baffle Future Historians" and "9 Quirky Things Every 'Cool' Workplace Is Required to Have."

Those articles, ironically, were originally titled to make fun of content mills and lovely SEO-optimized blog posts. But apparently the "joke" worked so well for Cracked that they've become their own annoyance.

Also don't even bother clicking on anything that can probably be answered with the word "No" and still be 95% accurate. This is the internet version of giving a dollar to the really annoying panhandler rather than the hobo who quietly sits out of people's way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Noni posted:

That is a bastard move intended to sucker more pageviews out of you, even going so far as to insert an interstitial ad at the prime spot right before number 1 on the list. You should be wary of any article that uses such title fuckery in the first place, as it's a sign of lackluster, if not heavily-manipulated content. For example, the formula of including the number of items, a superlative, and phrasing that's purposely edgy, sexy, controversial, or vague. For examples, see Cracked.com articles, with titles such as "22 Internet Memes That Will Baffle Future Historians" and "9 Quirky Things Every 'Cool' Workplace Is Required to Have."

Those articles, ironically, were originally titled to make fun of content mills and lovely SEO-optimized blog posts. But apparently the "joke" worked so well for Cracked that they've become their own annoyance.

Also don't even bother clicking on anything that can probably be answered with the word "No" and still be 95% accurate. This is the internet version of giving a dollar to the really annoying panhandler rather than the hobo who quietly sits out of people's way.

The reason Cracked.com has those titles is because it's a Demand Media property, the larget content farm on the internet. While it is a pretty well written website, every single article on there is specifically tailored for SEO purposes and no article is under 2 pages long. They were never intended to make fun of lovely content mills, they are the lovely content mill.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I was the unfortunate recipient of a speeding ticket three years ago (I deserved it), with my date of conviction anniversary coming up in June. My car insurance is due to renew (annual) in April.

The ticket increased my car insurance premiums by about $500 a year, and probably prevented annual decreases since then. Here in Nova Scotia my understanding is that tickets are removed from your record after three years. I'm expecting a decent drop in my premium after the ticket is no longer active on my driving record ($500~). How can I avoid paying for that nasty ticket for an extra 10 months? I was about to email my insurance broker, but decided to check here first.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I was the unfortunate recipient of a speeding ticket three years ago (I deserved it), with my date of conviction anniversary coming up in June. My car insurance is due to renew (annual) in April.

The ticket increased my car insurance premiums by about $500 a year, and probably prevented annual decreases since then. Here in Nova Scotia my understanding is that tickets are removed from your record after three years. I'm expecting a decent drop in my premium after the ticket is no longer active on my driving record ($500~). How can I avoid paying for that nasty ticket for an extra 10 months? I was about to email my insurance broker, but decided to check here first.
I don't know about Nova Scotia, but in BC I'd just get insurance for three months in April, then go back in July and renew for the year. I've done one and three month insurance a few times; you pay a slight premium for it (maybe 10% more than going the annual route) but for that steep a price difference it would definitely be worth it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Stupid question about UK TV:

Do people in the UK not notice how hilariously bad the "Americans" accents are in UK-made TV shows?

I am watching "Spooks" and the "CIA agent"'s accents are just confusing because they say every other word with some British accent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're probably about as aware of it as people in the US are of how hilarious bad "British" accents are in American-made TV shows. Which is not very- if you don't have extensive personal experience with a culture, there are a lot of aspects that don't jump out at you as clearly wrong.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
If I want to learn about the Renaissance and Enlightenment, should I just read the Wikipedia pages, or is there a better book for this or TV series or something?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Very Strange Things posted:

I'm not sure there is a way to do it in "normal" facebook but do yourself a favor and install social fixer (previously known as "a better facebook").
You can choose to have your page automatically hide, on your 'recent activity', your choice of:
- Wall posts
- Status comments
- Photo comments
- Link comments
- "Liking" a Page
- Adding a friend
- Relationship changes
- Others

Works with Safari, Chrome, Firefox (or as a greasemonkey script), or Opera.
Thanks, I'll try that. In the meantime I found out that if you go to your timeline and click the little X next to an activity post (e.g. "FLX added XYZ as a friend"), you can choose to hide similar activities automatically. I don't know if this will also hide them from other's news feeds or just my own timeline, but it's a start.

Man, I'm a big social network fan, keeping up to date with the subject and carefully controlling what I post, but Facebook is making this impossible lately. Ever since they got rid of the advanced privacy settings (which most people just didn't bother to understand), things just got worse.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Huntersoninski posted:

I think this CD may have that track. What upgrade would you like?
It really wasn't a big deal, but if you want to get me a gift certificate for a title change, that'd be fine by me. I don't know what I want it changed to yet though. If you need my email [gone]. (edit: I got it, thanks dude! :))

Question: I just upgraded my phone with sprint and picked it up in store (in California, if it matters). The phone totaled $0.00 (free upgrade, it retails for 399.99 according to the receipt), but I paid ~$30 in tax on it. Why?

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 5, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is expensive, name-brand luggage worth it? My cheap ($60) rolling garment bag recently broke, and I'm looking for a new one. I've looked at an $80 one by Skyway, and there's a couple by Samsonite that are $220-$280, which have a couple extra features, but nothing really mind-blowing. Is the extra $150-200 really just for durability?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

hooah posted:

Is expensive, name-brand luggage worth it? My cheap ($60) rolling garment bag recently broke, and I'm looking for a new one. I've looked at an $80 one by Skyway, and there's a couple by Samsonite that are $220-$280, which have a couple extra features, but nothing really mind-blowing. Is the extra $150-200 really just for durability?

From personal experience, Samsonite makes really durable stuff. I've got a big, wheeled travel bag that lasts for over 12 years and countless travels now. It looks really worn, but the zippers and fabric is still intact. I also own a trolley for three years, that seems equally durable so far.

Another brand I've heard great things of is Titan.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

hooah posted:

In my experience, there is a small improvement in durability but cases get beaten up horribly anyway and it doesn't contribute to a longer life that much.

I've found that small differences in material and design can be significant though - better wheels on a wheelie case can make it MUCH easier to drag around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

ineptmule posted:

better wheels on a wheelie case can make it MUCH easier to drag around.
Also this! Drag some models around in the store to feel the differences. My girlfriend has a Bree trolley that runs almost silent on the street and drags without much resistance.