Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Some of my chanting records, Bauls of Benga is really awesome yet the yoga one is a bit more obscure-pressed privately by the SRF around 1965 mostly english guided yoga and chants but some non-englist chants too, credited 'vibes' Richard Sisto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqq_yThSKk4
Got the first Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon LP recently for a buck including, some good northern soul signed With Love darling, Mother XXXX on the back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-4Z103PTM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
Is there really a difference between 180g vs whatever the lightweight they used in the 70s? My best records are 180g but I think it's just coincidence. Some people have told me it's just a marketing ploy, some people have told me it has absolutely mattered... in my experience it has absolutely mattered. I don't know why I still can't get 180g Pavement presses...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

nosl posted:

Is there really a difference between 180g vs whatever the lightweight they used in the 70s? My best records are 180g but I think it's just coincidence. Some people have told me it's just a marketing ploy, some people have told me it has absolutely mattered... in my experience it has absolutely mattered. I don't know why I still can't get 180g Pavement presses...

The only reason a 180 gram disc will sound better is if it is better mastered. Seeing as most modern releases are 180 gram and there are a lot of good reissues floating around it creates the illusion that the thickness of the vinyl matters. It doesn't. Some people will also say that there are 70s pressings of inferior quality due to the practice of using recycled records to make new ones. There's probably some truth to it but I don't think it's as huge of a deal as some people make it out to be.

So short answer is no, it's a marketing gimmick.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
This hits every Smiths/early-Cure/New Order/Bunnymen/early-Pillows/Shoegaze nerve in the best way. Helps that it isn't in English. Really, really into this right now.

https://famelic.bandcamp.com/album/lestat-natural

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 12, 2015

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Doctor Cave posted:

Gonna file this next to my Pure Moods comp from last year

Iirc Don Giovanni is opposed to RSD largely due to how much of the stuff is bought and flipped so I'd be surprised if this is real.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TubeStank posted:

Iirc Don Giovanni is opposed to RSD largely due to how much of the stuff is bought and flipped so I'd be surprised if this is real.

Yeah I'm also uncertain if that is a real thing

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i'd be surprised if it was real too considering its the same exact joke they played last year

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

man gently caress jokes, I said it last year, I would legitimately listen to these smooth, soothing new age sounds on vinyl.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

What do you guys do for cleaning? I just got a few used records, and they all need to be cleaned. Do I need to just bite the bullet and buy a Spin Clean or is there a better/cheaper alternative?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The guys at my preferred shop will clean them on their vac system for a buck a record. Don't know if that's common or not but if it's only a few it might be worth looking into.

I think the opinion on the spin clean is that it's lovely? Not 100% sure.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Spin Clean works pretty well. It's obviously not as good as a vacuum machine, but that's why those cost hundreds of dollars. I would recommend the Spin Clean even if it is a bit over priced.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Unless the records are seriously collectible, a drop of dish soap, a soft sponge and tap water is going to probably be all you need. Use distilled water if you want to go crazy. Try not to get the label wetter than it needs to be and dry it right away.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Unless the records are seriously collectible, a drop of dish soap, a soft sponge and tap water is going to probably be all you need. Use distilled water if you want to go crazy. Try not to get the label wetter than it needs to be and dry it right away.

I would recommend a microfiber cloth (one for wet and one for dry) instead of a dish sponge if you want to go this route. And I would also highly recommend the distilled water.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still can't believe the PVA glue method my housemate uses on his Serato vinyl is a real thing. I mean, it makes sense when you think about it properly but the concept of pouring glue onto your records... Not sure I'd do it to any of my favourites.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I would recommend a microfiber cloth (one for wet and one for dry) instead of a dish sponge if you want to go this route. And I would also highly recommend the distilled water.

If it's just a run of the mill record who cares. A clean sponge isn't going to scratch a record unless you're an animal or an idiot. A lint free cloth is good for drying, though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think the thing people forget about records is that they aren't the most fragile thing in the world. They way people talk about records, it's as if you leave them out of their dust jacket for one second too long, and they are suddenly ruined.

You want to take care of them, but you don't need to treat them like they're a newborn baby.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Seriously. If your the guy in the thread who found the turquoise lettered Led Zeppelin I in his dad's attic, ok baby that one, but if you're talking about a loving Doobie Bros record or something who gives a poo poo. Wash it in the sink.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I like the spin clean , it's a fairly simple system that works consistantly. If you're going to screw around at thrift stores/garage sales or buy stuff second hand it's worth it to spend a hundred bucks buying one and a bunch of new inner/outer sleeves. Then if you find something good you can spend a minute cleaning it and throw fifty cents of sleevage on it and have it looking ace.
Picked up these yesterday at Goodwill

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The latest haul.

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica. For some reason I forget they put this out a little ways back. Had to get it.

The label. They're the same for all four sides, so one's enough.

The sleeves are pretty nice. First disc.

Second.

Lumbar - First and Last Days of Unwelcome. Some depressing doom for Valentine's Day.

Insert.

Labels.

I'm sure of the significance of the orange color theme, but it looks good.

Obliterations - Poison Everything. Someone posted this not too long ago. Looked interesting, so I checked it out, liked what I heard, and ordered it.

The gatefold.

Some pretty gnarly art.

What the heck?! Where's the vinyl?!

John Carpenter's Lost Themes.

We've seen it before, but I have to post that gatefold one more time.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I just cant wrap my head around the concept of eighty dollar tiny water bucket no matter how hard I try.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I would like a novelty record cleaning tool. I'd put it next to my champagne whisk on the shelf.

Here's my stupid baby garbage from the last few weeks, featuring cassettes:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Unless you're going to pony up for a vacuum cleaner / VPI of some sort the best bang for your buck is just the super simple alcohol solution: %25 isopropyl alcohol (91%), %75 water (distilled if you're on the spectrum), and like one or two drops of dish soap to act as a surfactant. Apply w/ a spray or squeeze bottle, rub circularly with microfibre cloth, repeat a couple of times, let air dry for like 30 seconds.

I have no been getting many records over the winter because of work poo poo and lack of time. These are some of them that I like:

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

JehovahsWetness posted:

Unless you're going to pony up for a vacuum cleaner / VPI of some sort the best bang for your buck is just the super simple alcohol solution: %25 isopropyl alcohol (91%), %75 water (distilled if you're on the spectrum), and like one or two drops of dish soap to act as a surfactant. Apply w/ a spray or squeeze bottle, rub circularly with microfibre cloth, repeat a couple of times, let air dry for like 30 seconds.

I will be trying this method. I would rather spend money on records instead of a bright yellow tub.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I just cant wrap my head around the concept of eighty dollar tiny water bucket no matter how hard I try.

I'm my defense it was way cheaper when I bought mine. Also, it's really effective.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Build one and show us results:)

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I use the iso alcohol and I'm on the spectrum with the distilled water. It works really well but I have to admit, those times when I come home with a stack of 20 albums the thought of having something easy like a spin clean starts to make sense.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Smeed posted:

I use the iso alcohol and I'm on the spectrum with the distilled water. It works really well but I have to admit, those times when I come home with a stack of 20 albums the thought of having something easy like a spin clean starts to make sense.

How is it any easier than spraying the record and wiping it with a rag? Do you have one arm?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

imo there should only be dust on your records otherwise you should quit eating spaghetti above your record collection. Just use one of those brushes and get the dust off 'em. Quit spending money on things you one, don't need and two, are stupid and three, are for stupid things you don't need.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

imo there should only be dust on your records otherwise you should quit eating spaghetti above your record collection. Just use one of those brushes and get the dust off 'em. Quit spending money on things you one, don't need and two, are stupid and three, are for stupid things you don't need.

Some of us buy used records.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
The spin clean has been around for 40 years, it's designed specifically to help clean your records carefully and consistantly. You could probably make decent coffee in a pot with hot water too, but some people prefer to buy things made specifically made for making coffee. It's obviously not for everyone, but I've spent more money on new inner/outer sleeves than I have the spin clean and used it hundreds of times.

More expensive, worthless novelty record crap

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Well the other thing is once you own several hundred records a Spin Clean is just a good idea. If nothing else it's a hell of a lot more efficient than cleaning every single record by hand (which is what I used to do and it took way, way longer).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Well the other thing is once you own several hundred records a Spin Clean is just a good idea. If nothing else it's a hell of a lot more efficient than cleaning every single record by hand (which is what I used to do and it took way, way longer).

How does the number of records you own have anything to do with it? Are you washing them all at once?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I washed about 150 records over the course of a month using the Spin Clean so... Yeah, kinda.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

I washed about 150 records over the course of a month using the Spin Clean so... Yeah, kinda.

This.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Why would you do that, other than neuroticism? You could just give each one a little spritz before you play it, you know.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

PleasusChrist posted:

What do you guys do for cleaning? I just got a few used records, and they all need to be cleaned. Do I need to just bite the bullet and buy a Spin Clean or is there a better/cheaper alternative?

since the conversation in the thread about this post has gone on for like two days and i'm sure you've already cleaned the records by now, no you don't "need" a spinclean but if you have expendable income and you plan to buy a lot more used records in the future it might be "worth it" (perhaps not mathematically but subjectively and for you specifically)

now hopefully this boring thread tangent can cease, there's really no need to belittle people over how they choose to clean their records

edit: oh sorry i missed your post further down. but the point stands

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Why would you do that, other than neuroticism? You could just give each one a little spritz before you play it, you know.
Some people listen to a lot of records

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bowmore posted:

Some people listen to a lot of records

Yeah but that's not what they're doing, they're bulk-cleaning records, otherwise why would they be concerned with efficiency.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Record Store Day early list: http://modern-vinyl.com/2015/02/14/rsd-2015-the-list-so-far/

Some really good stuff in there, mostly the 1975 stuff, a new STRFKR 7", Courtney Barnett and Run the Jewels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Dogen posted:

The guys at my preferred shop will clean them on their vac system for a buck a record. Don't know if that's common or not but if it's only a few it might be worth looking into.

I think the opinion on the spin clean is that it's lovely? Not 100% sure.

I asked a shop near me about this once and it was $15 per disc :australia:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 16, 2015